Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Will I finished The Hero of Ages and the first Mistborn era with it.
If you go back and read through your reactions throughout Hero of Ages, you'll now notice that you stress how oddly informative the epigraphs are and how often the number 16 is coming up again and again. I imagine that both Preservation and Sazed are very proud of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Re: MB era 1:

Sazed never talked to Tindwyl, she died way before he Ascended.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CapnAndy posted:

If you go back and read through your reactions throughout Hero of Ages, you'll now notice that you stress how oddly informative the epigraphs are and how often the number 16 is coming up again and again. I imagine that both Preservation and Sazed are very proud of you.

Yeah, Kwaan spent half his words on talking about how he didn't have enough space for all his words. Alendi spent most of his being sad about how much his life sucked now that he was the chosen one. Only Sazed could focus on the actual facts and useful stuff. It was nice to see that the 16% meant 16 metals, though I was wrong to include the Allomancy granting metal. There was also no way I was guessing that all the mistfallen were going to be Seers (1/16), that one was too far out there. Still counting it as a win overall.

big mean giraffe posted:

Re: MB era 1:

Sazed never talked to Tindwyl, she died way before he Ascended.

Spook was made Mistborn and his Tin flaring damage was healed at the request of Kelsier, who died much earlier than Tindwyl. Now maybe some poo poo happened that I don't know about, but from the information I have it seems like if Sazed could talk to afterlife-Kelsier he should be able to talk to afterlife-Tindwyl.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Yeah, Kwaan spent half his words on talking about how he didn't have enough space for all his words. Alendi spent most of his being sad about how much his life sucked now that he was the chosen one. Only Sazed could focus on the actual facts and useful stuff.

Spook was made Mistborn and his Tin flaring damage was healed at the request of Kelsier, who died much earlier than Tindwyl. Now maybe some poo poo happened that I don't know about, but from the information I have it seems like if Sazed could talk to afterlife-Kelsier he should be able to talk to afterlife-Tindwyl.
Edit:
DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVENT READ SECRET HISTORY

I am dumb and a jerk sorry :(

Something unique happened to Kelsier, he's what's called a Cognitive Shadow because he bullied Preservation into keeping him from passing into the afterlife, called the Beyond.

So he's not dead yet, just mostly-dead /miracle max

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 7, 2023

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

DarkHorse posted:

Something unique happened to Kelsier, he's what's called a Cognitive Shadow because he bullied Preservation into keeping him from passing into the afterlife, called the Beyond.

So he's not dead yet, just mostly-dead /miracle max

This seems like a really big spoiler for something I haven't read yet?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

pik_d posted:

Yeah, that was massively uncalled for. The proper answer is that there is, in fact, information you don't have regarding why the two cases are different. If it helps, remember that he was able to talk to Vin and Elend too -- there are reasons why he could meet up with those three.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Technically a sufficiently caught-up-on-dumb-poo poo-like-brandon-writing-a-fanfic-for-a-character-tournament fan could know that between mistborn 3 and 4

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that was massively uncalled for. The proper answer is that there is, in fact, information you don't have regarding why the two cases are different. If it helps, remember that he was able to talk to Vin and Elend too -- there are reasons why he could meet up with those three.

Yeah that whole thing is definitely as Brandon likes to say "Read And Find Out" that spoiler was an insane thing to say and one of the biggest spoilers in the dam cosmere.

I am curious as to what you think of Warbreaker, I liked it but I can see why so many did not. Mistborn era 2 is different feeling but you will get many of the things you are after.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Might want to read Secret History before diving into the other stuff, it takes place concurrently with Mistborn and explains some of the loose ends.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Tunicate posted:

Technically a sufficiently caught-up-on-dumb-poo poo-like-brandon-writing-a-fanfic-for-a-character-tournament fan could know that between mistborn 3 and 4

I love dumb poo poo. Is there a link for this and when was it written?

Avalerion posted:

Might want to read Secret History before diving into the other stuff, it takes place concurrently with Mistborn and explains some of the loose ends.

It seems like opinions are pretty divided on when to read it, so I'm keeping it in publication order since that's how I usually do things.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jul 7, 2023

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Really sorry about that spoiler, I thought they had read Secret History :(

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You may as well read secret history now. Bands of Mourning is the point where you'd have caught the secret naturally.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I can also say that Kelsier(Era 1) Definitely 100% no tricks got speared to death and died for reals no takesiebacksies. We saw the body. We saw OreSeur eat the body and destroy it. But Kelsier is an egotistical con artist, and a massive rear end in a top hat.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

pik_d posted:

It seems like opinions are pretty divided on when to read it, so I'm keeping it in publication order since that's how I usually do things.

Yea cause it spoils this:

pik_d posted:

...but that ship has sailed. :D Your call of course.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

pik_d posted:

I love dumb poo poo. Is there a link for this and when was it written?

Yeah, now you can safely read it. The big thing it spoils would have come up in Bands of Mourning, but now you know.

The dumb poo poo is actually something Brandon vote for a series that invented cage fights between characters from different fantasy series. And it's good that you finished the Wheel of Time, because the fight in question was between Moiraine Damodred and Kelsier!

https://web.archive.org/web/2016061...us-kelsier.html

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

DarkHorse posted:

Really sorry about that spoiler, I thought they had read Secret History :(

Could you go back and add into your post "DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY READ XXX BOOK" please and thank you?

As a general rule in these sorts of megathreads on megaseries seems a decent rule of thumb to follow.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Bilirubin posted:

Could you go back and add into your post "DO NOT READ THIS SPOILER IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY READ XXX BOOK" please and thank you?

As a general rule in these sorts of megathreads on megaseries seems a decent rule of thumb to follow.

Done

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Thanks! :)

And you are not dumb or a jerk. Lots of folks (myself included) don't really care that much about such spoilers, but for those that do its easy to loose track of in such long books and long series.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Role of Hoid in the Cosmere:

I read WOK as my first Cosmere book, so I was used to Hoid as functioning, living character, if not a 'main' character. It was interesting to read Warbreaker, Mistborn, and Elantris after, and just see his tiny/moderate cameos as he sat on the periphery of the world events and only appeared to do some small nudge, not being as central to the action.

I wasn't as into him as the narrator in Tress, I'm glad to hear folks mention that he's a little less... hoid-y? in his narration in SP3.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I cannot in any fashion say that I'm a Hoid fan but I like him as the Stan Lee of the Cosmere. Fun to see, works as a character, can't say I always love the cameo but I love that it's there.

Also Warbringer is loving great.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Warbreaker is… interesting. It’s a neat setting, but it somehow reads as earlier Sanderson to me. Like, I know the chronology, and yet I can’t help but always think that it came out right after Elantris and that Mistborn was the work of a more mature author.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CapnAndy posted:

Warbreaker is… interesting. It’s a neat setting, but it somehow reads as earlier Sanderson to me. Like, I know the chronology, and yet I can’t help but always think that it came out right after Elantris and that Mistborn was the work of a more mature author.

I completely agree with you. I really like Warbreaker but I definitely think of it is a "good, not great" Sanderson. The other problem I have is that the ending feels horrendously abrupt, even by Sanderson standards. It could have used a little more breathing room at the end. I was not a fan of "oh yeah, that lifeless army problem? ehhhh it'll get dealt with off screen."

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I completely agree with you. I really like Warbreaker but I definitely think of it is a "good, not great" Sanderson. The other problem I have is that the ending feels horrendously abrupt, even by Sanderson standards. It could have used a little more breathing room at the end. I was not a fan of "oh yeah, that lifeless army problem? ehhhh it'll get dealt with off screen."

Absolutely. The lifeless army got dealt with, Vasher just walks away with Vivenna, the God King can talk and is for once not a helpless puppet of a priesthood following Vasher's instructions, is married to the daughter of the king of Idris, and has command of Kalad's Phantoms. There's a lot to explore.

But at least Sanderson has been pretty open about the fact that Warbreaker 2 ("Nightblood") is an important book for the Cosmere, and is high on the priority list after Stormlight 5. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am very conflicted about Secret Book #3. Parts of it are easily the worst thing Sanderson had ever written, others are pretty good.

Overall there is some interesting world building in the form of a bad YA anime.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
Warbreaker was Sanderson's first or one of the first things he wrote. He didn't get it published until mich later. For a long time he just had it up online where anyone could read it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Oasx posted:

I am very conflicted about Secret Book #3. Parts of it are easily the worst thing Sanderson had ever written, others are pretty good.

Overall there is some interesting world building in the form of a bad YA anime.

Literally every cosmere book is anime. You are aware of that right?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

RC Cola posted:

Literally every cosmere book is anime. You are aware of that right?

But not every anime is good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Neither is every book, or movie, or TV show. All media can be great and horrible.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I wanna know what kind of anime each Cosmere book is.

Is Mistborn Berserk? Which one is closest to Sailor Moon.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Which one is closest to Sailor Moon.

Tress, by a long shot

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna know what kind of anime each Cosmere book is.

Is Mistborn Berserk? Which one is closest to Sailor Moon.

"I wasn't born a talking cat, I was a normal cat that was overly invested, now take this magic stamp and imprint it on your hand and you will rewrite your history to be a Princess of the Moon Kingdom, they are able to pull investiture straight from the cognitive realm in the form of sparkles."

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

Torrannor posted:

Absolutely. The lifeless army got dealt with, Vasher just walks away with Vivenna, the God King can talk and is for once not a helpless puppet of a priesthood following Vasher's instructions, is married to the daughter of the king of Idris, and has command of Kalad's Phantoms. There's a lot to explore.

But at least Sanderson has been pretty open about the fact that Warbreaker 2 ("Nightblood") is an important book for the Cosmere, and is high on the priority list after Stormlight 5. I'm quite looking forward to it.

Warbreaker is really a SA prequel. It sets up quite a bit if things, especially Nightblood.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I recently read Words of Radiance for the first time and then circled back to Warbreaker because the “internet” said you should read that book first.

Even if I had read Warbreaker I would not have caught any connection other than Nightblood showing up.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

smackfu posted:

I recently read Words of Radiance for the first time and then circled back to Warbreaker because the “internet” said you should read that book first.

Even if I had read Warbreaker I would not have caught any connection other than Nightblood showing up.
It gets a lot more blatant in Oathbringer, and explicit in RoW.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I had already decided on Warbreaker before the event, so here's some stuff. I'm not sure really how to divide this book up, if there's any good stopping points for juicy predictions let me know.

Warbreaker chapters 1-12

I really like the magic system with the colors, though I'm still not sure on everything. Can anyone be an Awakener is my main question, other than the Returned I suppose. It's also weird because the colors stuff doesn't necessarily seem to have any obvious connection to the Returned and stillborn god stuff. Then there's the Lifeless (Returned, but done by someone else) and Drabs (which feels like a slur) for people who willingly gave up their Breath for someone else. I'm curious if there's any reason that the Returned need a new Breath a week, but then can't actually use those Breaths without dying.

Lightsong seems so done with all this poo poo. He doens't know what he's doing and has dreams of poo poo going horrible for his city, and he's got a former life he doesn't know anything about. The whole idea that he died so heroically that he was allowed to decide to come back and do something important is cool. Kelsier would have loved that chance. Blushweaver and the other gods will be fun for sure, I wonder if all of their purposes for returning will clash, or if there's some unifying force behind them?

Since I just finished the first Mistborn era I'm having a hard time not seeing Vasher as Kelsier 2.0, but Vasher seems less flamboyant (despite the colors) so far. His sword is very bloodthirsty and sassy, which is very fun. I'm also thinking that either the god's attempts at going to war may give Vasher's revolution a chance to show up, or they might all be connected intentionally.

Siri got the short end of the stick but I don't think the palace was ready for her. She's causing trouble for sure, it's gonna be great. I like that the God King is clearly not exactly what Bluefingers described to her, it means that she gets to explore some kind of weird hosed up relationship with him. Which, there's s ome issues with, but I'm curious to see what he actually does when he decides to do more than sit in a chair (and not even all that menacingly).

Vivenna definitely would have flipped her poo poo in the palace if she's going this wild about all the colors in T'Telir. Maybe she'd have kept a lid on it, but she does not like all this flamboyance. And then she gets given a bunch of Breaths from that spy. Her worldview is in the middle of being flipped, can't wait to see how she handles this.

I'm also curious which girl is on the cover with the sword. I'm pretty sure it's Siri, but Vivenna has the chance to really grow here. I do think Vivenna may meet up with Vasher.

Progress so far:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

pik_d posted:

I had already decided on Warbreaker before the event, so here's some stuff. I'm not sure really how to divide this book up, if there's any good stopping points for juicy predictions let me know.

Warbreaker chapters 1-12

I really like the magic system with the colors, though I'm still not sure on everything. Can anyone be an Awakener is my main question, other than the Returned I suppose. It's also weird because the colors stuff doesn't necessarily seem to have any obvious connection to the Returned and stillborn god stuff. Then there's the Lifeless (Returned, but done by someone else) and Drabs (which feels like a slur) for people who willingly gave up their Breath for someone else. I'm curious if there's any reason that the Returned need a new Breath a week, but then can't actually use those Breaths without dying.

Lightsong seems so done with all this poo poo. He doens't know what he's doing and has dreams of poo poo going horrible for his city, and he's got a former life he doesn't know anything about. The whole idea that he died so heroically that he was allowed to decide to come back and do something important is cool. Kelsier would have loved that chance. Blushweaver and the other gods will be fun for sure, I wonder if all of their purposes for returning will clash, or if there's some unifying force behind them?

Since I just finished the first Mistborn era I'm having a hard time not seeing Vasher as Kelsier 2.0, but Vasher seems less flamboyant (despite the colors) so far. His sword is very bloodthirsty and sassy, which is very fun. I'm also thinking that either the god's attempts at going to war may give Vasher's revolution a chance to show up, or they might all be connected intentionally.

Siri got the short end of the stick but I don't think the palace was ready for her. She's causing trouble for sure, it's gonna be great. I like that the God King is clearly not exactly what Bluefingers described to her, it means that she gets to explore some kind of weird hosed up relationship with him. Which, there's s ome issues with, but I'm curious to see what he actually does when he decides to do more than sit in a chair (and not even all that menacingly).

Vivenna definitely would have flipped her poo poo in the palace if she's going this wild about all the colors in T'Telir. Maybe she'd have kept a lid on it, but she does not like all this flamboyance. And then she gets given a bunch of Breaths from that spy. Her worldview is in the middle of being flipped, can't wait to see how she handles this.

I'm also curious which girl is on the cover with the sword. I'm pretty sure it's Siri, but Vivenna has the chance to really grow here. I do think Vivenna may meet up with Vasher.

Progress so far:

You may be my favorite poster in all of TBB. This poo poo is fantastic.

Lightsong is one of my favorite Sanderson characters. I find him hilarious.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ConfusedUs posted:

You may be my favorite poster in all of TBB. This poo poo is fantastic.

Lightsong is one of my favorite Sanderson characters. I find him hilarious.

I'm glad you like it, it's definitely a fun way to collect my thoughts and think about things a bit more than just blasting through books.

Lightsong is definitely going to begrudgingly help save something. Maybe the world but probably not, probably Siri or the rebels or possibly even Blushweaver.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Bread Liar
Lightsong owns, I need to reread Warbreaker once Nightblood is scheduled to come out and hopefully I'll make it through the 40 other books I have queued up before then.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Louisgod posted:

Lightsong owns, I need to reread Warbreaker once Nightblood is scheduled to come out and hopefully I'll make it through the 40 other books I have queued up before then.

I hope the post SL5 break gives us Nightblood and Elantris 2, feels like there are some more things that we need explained sooner rather than later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
Bread Liar

big mean giraffe posted:

I hope the post SL5 break gives us Nightblood and Elantris 2, feels like there are some more things that we need explained sooner rather than later.

Yeah between Tress and The Lost Metal, we're due for some much needed context. It'd be WILD if the bands ended up on Roshar.