Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

ai.exe and ai.dll from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE16

here's the ms article about it when i started digging. i only figured it out because my video card dashboard told me i had 4200 hours of alien isolation played.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...86fe463e?page=1

lmao. more a/b fun i guess. or something to do with my workstation gpo settings, but thankfully i don't have any of this

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Mr. Nice! posted:

did you not click the link from microsoft? this is a part of the office suite. the ms support dude is like "yeah, this is part of the ai integration. delete the file if you want. it will come back when office updates next"

It can't be bargained with
It can't be reasoned with
It doesn't feel pity
or remorse
or fear
and it absolutely will not stop
ever

until you are 8 (0x8) ERROR_NOT_ENOUGH_MEMORY

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

infernal machines posted:

lmao. more a/b fun i guess. or something to do with my workstation gpo settings, but thankfully i don't have any of this

it was on my work laptop as well. it might depend on the version of office you have running.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mr. Nice! posted:

it was on my work laptop as well. it might depend on the version of office you have running.

trust me, versions don't mean poo poo. identical versions will have different features for different user accounts on the same workstation and the same user accounts on different workstations. anything but LTSC is a roll of the dice every time it updates/opens

e: to clarify, that file is there in the same path, but it's not being run when i open word

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 8, 2023

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

trust me, versions don't mean poo poo. identical versions will have different features for different user accounts on the same workstation and the same user accounts on different workstations. anything but LTSC is a roll of the dice every time it updates/opens

e: to clarify, that file is there in the same path, but it's not being run when i open word

for me it was running with either outlook, excel, or both. i didn't test it with word. the 4200 hours it was running on my computer was connected to one or both of those.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Working remotely through citrix receiver is a pretty good computer condom for me.
I hope my workplace never shuts down their old citrix farm, but year by year the ms365 monster shambles ever closer :shudder:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

for me it was running with either outlook, excel, or both. i didn't test it with word. the 4200 hours it was running on my computer was connected to one or both of those.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/office16-aiexe/ecab05bf-3910-4810-ba45-0c44a94071ee

quote:

A high-level summary of execution is as follows:

Local AI binaries are only loaded if they are used. This means that if you never execute a section of code inside an Office desktop app that requires local AI, then none of the local AI binaries are loaded ... so ai.exe would not be launched.

Once local AI binaries are loaded, they remain loaded until the Office desktop app is exited. For example, if you execute a section of code in Outlook that uses an AI model, then ai.exe will launch, load ai.dll, and ai.dll will load and run that model. If you leave Outlook running in the background, then ai.exe will also remain in the background. When Outlook is exited, then ai.exe is exited. ai.exe remains loaded because running any given model generally happens several times during a session, not just once, and it takes a substantial amount of time to launch ai.exe, load ai.dll, and have ai.dll load the model. In other words, ai.exe is retained in memory in order for Office performance to be as fast as possible under these circumstances.

Once local AI binaries are loaded, they will reload themselves as needed. For example, if you execute a section of code in Outlook that uses an AI model such that ai.exe has launched, loaded ai.dll, and ai.dll has loaded and ran the associated AI model, if ai.exe is killed and you execute another section of code in Outlook that uses that model, the ai.exe for that model will relaunch, reload ai.dll, and ai.dll will reload and run that model.

A distinct ai.exe is loaded for each distinct AI model. For instance, if Outlook uses three distinct AI models, then three distinct ai.exe will be launched to enable process isolation between the models. If one goes down ( say due to an unexpected crash ), it doesn't take down the other two along with it ... and most importantly, it also doesn't take down Outlook with it.

lmao

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i have not affirmatively ever ran ai anything on my computer. the closest thing i can think of is excel's data -> geography thing i used once to get distance between places, but the use of that function doesn't line up with the usage of the ai.exe that was tracked (it predates it ai.exe started in january first use of data -> geography was in february) and that functionality works the same even with the ai.exe and ai.dll deleted.

i don't know what the gently caress at this point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's almost certainly a case of "one of the ai features is run by the app at startup" and it's literally impossible not to run it unless you have whatever that feature is completely disabled by policy or in the application options

being microsoft, what actually uses the ai components doesn't appear to be documented anywhere, so it could be something profoundly stupid like "template generator on the welcome screen"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i bet the ai feature in outlook is the "Sounds good!/That doesn't work for me/poo poo yourself" response suggestions

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pinterest Mom posted:

i bet the ai feature in outlook is the "Sounds good!/That doesn't work for me/poo poo yourself" response suggestions

i turn those off first thing after any office install on every application that has them. loving hate that poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

or "automatically generate alt text for me"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i loving love the ever expanding list of features to disable to have a basic functional word processor that doesn't consume an infinite amount of ram and never fully exit.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i could run a dosbox vm with nt 3.51 and word 6.0 and have something exactly as functional as i need with a lower memory footprint and zero intrusive bullshit.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I wonder if we're already at the point where microsoft product managers are mandating all new code should be AI generated to "increase code quality"
It sure feels that way.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm glad i could improve your saturday morning.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
how's libreoffice or whatever these days anyway

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i dunno but i'm stuck using microsoft stuff probably for my career as an academic so it doesn't help me. once upon a time i would have rebelled. now i just disable as much of the cruft as i can and use the poo poo that's compatible with everyone else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

my real number crunching is in stata and sas not excel, but it is useful as gently caress with some types of data manipulation and sorting.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

how's libreoffice or whatever these days anyway

garbage. doesn’t even include binggpt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

i could run a dosbox vm with nt 3.51 and word 6.0 and have something exactly as functional as i need with a lower memory footprint and zero intrusive bullshit.

does nt work on dosbox? i thought that only emulates up to a 486

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

nt 3.51 will run on a 386

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

nt 3.51 will run on a 386

yeah i figured that as soon as i posted it lol. still, i thought there was something preventing it from working, i thought only 9x up to 98 would work with it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
reactos

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

or "automatically generate alt text for me"

it’s this. I noticed yesterday pasting images into a PowerPoint it not only was trying to suggest alt text but gave me a 👍👎 feedback mechanism. sorry these are all internal shitfart thinfs and we all don’t use screen readers I’m not feeding the machine.

also it took a 3D scatter plot and made the alt text “a face of a human” or some poo poo lol.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hed posted:

it’s this. I noticed yesterday pasting images into a PowerPoint it not only was trying to suggest alt text but gave me a 👍👎 feedback mechanism. sorry these are all internal shitfart thinfs and we all don’t use screen readers I’m not feeding the machine.

also it took a 3D scatter plot and made the alt text “a face of a human” or some poo poo lol.

it consistently generates "an image of a graphical interface" for one of my client's logos. the logo is rectangle with a single word in it

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah i figured that as soon as i posted it lol. still, i thought there was something preventing it from working, i thought only 9x up to 98 would work with it

there was a bootstrapping issue where the installer would throw inaccessible boot device because it didn't emulate the floppy controller. i think qemu is the preferred vm solution

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

r u ready to WALK posted:

Working remotely through citrix receiver is a pretty good computer condom for me.
I hope my workplace never shuts down their old citrix farm, but year by year the ms365 monster shambles ever closer :shudder:

From an org's security posture perspective this doesn't make any difference.

It keeps the lovely cycle-stealing code off of your machine, but all the "secrets" are still being scraped, just on the VDI.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
been sometimes using Microsoft Bing to build up Microsoft Bing Points and get a sick loot or something. searching the internet and getting paid -- what's not to like?

after like two years i've only earned enough to get 1,000 robux or give jeff bezos $10. absolutely shameful. i've been had

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah and it's all stuff that you can get anywhere else too. I was hoping I could get a sweet Microsoft hat

mystes
May 31, 2006

There was some thing where you could get legit discounts by using bing a couple times but that was like 10 years ago

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

i have like 30,000 bing points, it's pretty easy to rack 'em

a free month of ms gamep rear end is 7,750 points

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

i have like 30,000 bing points, it's pretty easy to rack 'em

a free month of ms gamep rear end is 7,750 points

drat this mf-er knows how to bing :worship:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

drat this mf-er knows how to bing :worship:

its pretty easy, you just need to hit 15 of the current events things per day (they count as searches) and do the dumb little quizzes. using ipad edge you can knock off like 5 of those with the list that drops down from the address bar. plus you can get 100 points per day doing searches on mobile but i never bother with that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

its pretty easy, you just need to hit 15 of the current events things per day (they count as searches) and do the dumb little quizzes. using ipad edge you can knock off like 5 of those with the list that drops down from the address bar. plus you can get 100 points per day doing searches on mobile but i never bother with that

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

do you also spend hours a day clicking around the money tree? treeloot or whatever it was called

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i apparently have 15,000 bing points somehow. i have no idea how i get them and have never tried to. still no hat

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

there’s a chrome addon that will do the bing searches for you. lmao at actually using bing

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

akadajet posted:

do you also spend hours a day clicking around the money tree? treeloot or whatever it was called

it takes like 2 minutes. the carousel for the news searches has them all in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

:qq: clicking on pictures is too hard to save $17/month