Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RokosCockatrice posted:

feature bugfix put it in a branch
merge it to main and put it on
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
to prod
servers catching fire
cya its friday gently caress you all

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i wanna be in embedded but not so much that i want to leave the six figgy club (or get as close to leaving it as makes no diff, low 100k doesn't buy what it used to even back in 2015)

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

i wanna be in embedded but not so much that i want to leave the six figgy club (or get as close to leaving it as makes no diff, low 100k doesn't buy what it used to even back in 2015)

as far as I know from people I went to school with, the embedded krew get paid around $175k with the caveat being you have to live in Detroit and go into an office for GM, Ford, Stellantis, or The Germans and Swedes (tho I don’t remember if they’re open to remote positions again or not, but do offer hybrid schedules with 2-3 in office days) or get paid closer to to 135k for one of the suppliers that still have an tech centre here have

also none of the Japanese companies have tech centres here. Hyundai Mobis does, but when I interviewed there they had to ask if I drank and if I was willing to go to Korea for a month for training, but they paid the same as a tier 1 supplier with slightly worse healthcare

an upside is that 110k+ goes a pretty decent way here, and 175k is pleasant to be at

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

it's this. they are not going to waste employee time telling you what the actual problem was. even if it were free, they wouldn't do that because it might make you mad or open up liability. and if you're mad, you might not apply next year when they've decided to mash the 'hire everyone' button or whatever

companies will not generally give you feedback. they might send you words, but these words only have meaning insofar as they are part of the ritual/hiring process. their literal meaning is irrelevant to their actual meaning.

this tracks because the one time I've been given honest feedback I got real angry.

The feedback in question was "we didn't feel you shone in the interview", which is fine I guess, but the interviewers were people I've worked for as a freelancer for two years.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Re: bugs to prod, I changed careers into this field and am very new but why are devs always missing the big picture for the most ontologically literal interpretation of how they heard a question. If you can’t think of an answer, imagine an answer as if it had happened??? Or pretend staging is prod??? This seems like an easy hoop to jump if you have decent experience and are willing to play in the space.

Seems like a good idea to find a list of these questions and record when/what/why/how I encountered the relevant scenario.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

A lot of us are just like that.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Re: bugs to prod, I changed careers into this field and am very new but why are devs always missing the big picture for the most ontologically literal interpretation of how they heard a question. If you can’t think of an answer, imagine an answer as if it had happened??? Or pretend staging is prod??? This seems like an easy hoop to jump if you have decent experience and are willing to play in the space.

Seems like a good idea to find a list of these questions and record when/what/why/how I encountered the relevant scenario.

beep boop

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

the reason it is easy is because everyone who has shipped to prod a couple of times will have shipped some bug, the people who can't answer it do not need to "imagine" anything in particular.

i don't think i've ever shipped a bug that harmed anything much, but it is easy enough to come up with a dozen actually interesting cases where i shipped something flawed. most serious performance regressions, but that's probably because of the circumstances i've worked in.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

ThePopeOfFun posted:

oh drat I didn't know I could just turn off being autistic, thanks so much for this!!!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i don't think i've ever shipped a bug that harmed anything much, but it is easy enough to come up with a dozen actually interesting cases where i shipped something flawed. most serious performance regressions, but that's probably because of the circumstances i've worked in.

I think I get what you’re saying. The ones who can’t answer either haven’t done much or don’t understand what they do?

Corla Plankun posted:

oh drat I didn't know I could just turn off being autistic, thanks so much for this!!!

i have stepped in it. apologies. if you read my post as projection, you would be correct.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

ThePopeOfFun posted:

because its a field that is often about linguistic precision.

edit: also because sometimes you actually meet people who honestly think they have never shipped a bug

rotor fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 10, 2023

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i still say if you can't come up with a single "oops" that made it to production, you're either inexperienced or full of hubris. no matter what the definition of prod is.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol ive written tons of prod bugs, each one funnier than the last

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once i wrote a video player that would softlock you if you paused it and then tried to scrub to somewhere else in the vid. our project manager never thought it was important enough to fix

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I’ve definitely have had some design shipped that was a risk and has been sitting around in prod for years with me wanting to change it after some space and it’s deprioritized by ENG constantly.

Like every UI update I’ve wanted over 4 years

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
it gets shipped but never iterated. love to see it languish irl.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i once wiped like a tenth of techcrunch's redshift cluster store. i did not work for techcrunch at the time. they were also not a customer

another fun big db thing was the time my fuckup sent our ordinary oltp loads to our bigquery thing, elicitng a handwritten card from the bigquery sales rep

that sorta dealio

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 10, 2023

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
it's fine because nobody reads techcrunch anyway

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cheese eats mouse posted:

I’ve definitely have had some design shipped that was a risk and has been sitting around in prod for years with me wanting to change it after some space and it’s deprioritized by ENG constantly.

Like every UI update I’ve wanted over 4 years

I think I left one job with probably a three year backlog of finished designs they kept deprioritizing

e: if you ever want portfolio crit or anything hit me up, I think you're the only other full time designer who posts a lot here

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

qirex posted:

I think I left one job with probably a three year backlog of finished designs they kept deprioritizing

e: if you ever want portfolio crit or anything hit me up, I think you're the only other full time designer who posts a lot here

I’ll DM you. I have two of my big projects up. I could use a resume review too.

I’m meeting with a design director for a second round interview on Wednesday for a series D start up that’s a unicorn in their field.

My only negotiating play I have is “I’m financially independent and willing to walk/not care”

also the design debt backlog. and eng managers wonder why we are sometimes a bottleneck? you guys never prioritize my fixes!!! I’m trying to get it right the first time.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 10, 2023

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

five-six figures lost revenue this year to date thanks to my impeccable development skills

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

e: maybe posting my career history for the sake of an internet argument is not the best idea, but most things were either safety-critical or very high-impact potentially and updating hardware is a pain

it's not that I couldn't answer that question, but it would be some variation of "I don't know about any that made it to customers because of xyz, but I caused these bugs in various forms of staging and worked to address them in this way"

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 11, 2023

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I had a bug make it to prod this week because I forgot some users use gigantic font, and because of their hoojfont, a button they need to press to use the app was shoved below the bottom of the viewport and you couldn’t scroll to see it

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I had a bug make it to prod this week because I forgot some users use gigantic font, and because of their hoojfont, a button they need to press to use the app was shoved below the bottom of the viewport and you couldn’t scroll to see it

hired

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
I remember other peoples's prod bugs I've had to fix way more readily than bugs I've shipped to prod. I definitely have shipped bugs to prod I tend to just forget them entirely after they're found and fixed.

Changes that work and are approved by stakeholders during UAT then cause negative feedback from customers that I've had to take all the blame for (despite everyone who tested them saying they work great and are easy to use) those I remember the most clearly.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

When interviewing people one of the questions I often ask is to tell their favorite/most memorable story of a bug they wrote, even if it never got fixed.

Mine is when I wrote a traffic partner bids cache that instead of just invalidating stale ones with a simple version bump would actually go through every single stored bid and re-load them even if they hadn't changed. The more bids there were over time the longer it took and we came *this* close to the redis cluster hitting its 5 second transaction timeout, destroying the cache, triggering a failover, making every single request taking an order of magnitude longer and taking our whole system down. Fixed it with a simple commit message like "Fix bid cache invalidation bug." and nobody knew until I told them way later lol

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

nudgenudgetilt posted:

market is saturated for every role

so many applicants

nudgenudgetilt posted:

also, so many megacorp lifers looking for jobs. one resume had around 20 years at ibm and nothing else. i feel for those folks.

Is this the reason?

Sorry if that's a silly question but having to worry about this sort of thing is a... recent development for me.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

wash bucket posted:

Is this the reason?

Sorry if that's a silly question but having to worry about this sort of thing is a... recent development for me.

Extremely yes. The layoffs aren’t over either and it’s going to take a while for the market to correct itself for those who are selling our time

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
network came through and talking to an ex-coworker about a position at a start up. he’d be my boss so throw me some other things to ask.

going to ask the questions plus some ways to uncover other red flags and complaints about my previous company. never done a Series A start up but have done small team to non-existent design. seems like it would be a crazy career growth opportunity.

should be an interesting chat. he was at the VP engineering level at my old gig.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
hey guys i dont really know where to ask this. i dont know many computer touchers. i worked in video games QA (technical) most of my computer-touching career, but in next 12 months, I will be moving stateside permanently due to marrying an americana

what the gently caress can i do in those 12 months to make myself desirable in any sector? i don’t really NEED to work in video games and frankly I’ve heard so many horror stories about american game companies that I’d rather not. how do i make a switch to a Serious Computer Job? what are some skills i need to have?

it has hit me that i don’t really…..know how to do anything that isn’t proprietary engine stuff or basic python bullshit. i didn’t manage to write a thesis so i never graduated and now i’m gonna have to find an actual non-bullshit job to support a loved one instead of just me and i don’t really know what to do

im sorry i know this is all out of nowhere and im not really a prolific poster

goblin week fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 12, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
can you write a thesis in 12 months?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

can you write a thesis in 12 months?

Possibly yes (though i would need to do it in a month) but I studied animal husbandry lol.
I just was really at odds with the bologna process I think. We have literally never wrote a single paper for the four years of college, because it's a technical as gently caress course, and then we got tasked to write a thesis because everyone in europe needs to be a Valid Academician to graduate college, and my brain was stuck at "what is the point of this".

goblin week fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 12, 2023

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
herding sheep is like engineering management you are already half way there

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

goblin week posted:

hey guys i dont really know where to ask this. i dont know many computer touchers. i worked in video games QA (technical) most of my computer-touching career, but in next 12 months, I will be moving stateside permanently due to marrying an americana

what the gently caress can i do in those 12 months to make myself desirable in any sector? i don’t really NEED to work in video games and frankly I’ve heard so many horror stories about american game companies that I’d rather not. how do i make a switch to a Serious Computer Job? what are some skills i need to have?

it has hit me that i don’t really…..know how to do anything that isn’t proprietary engine stuff or basic python bullshit. i didn’t manage to write a thesis so i never graduated and now i’m gonna have to find an actual non-bullshit job to support a loved one instead of just me and i don’t really know what to do

if you're happy to share post an anonymised version of your cv, i'd imagine that there's some stuff on it that you can spin to give you a leg up over other new entrants. being able to spin a story about how you were in QA but you've already pivoted to being a developer would help you avoid being pigeonholed - idk if you can get any contract work with a helpful job title before moving. it's not the best time to be joining the industry now though, although who knows in 12 months.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

seems like it would be a crazy career growth opportunity.

caveat emptor. it's a high risk / high reward gambit. i just made the same gamble with my current job and i'd say it's worth it but the company actually has to be successful / start growing rapidly in order for this to pay off. i've only been here half a year so far but we've been going in the opposite direction of hiring

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
I worked at a startup pretty much from their Series A to their Series B and bounced. It was the most productive 2 years I've ever had, and I learned an incredible amount that was been great for my CV.

It also paid like poo poo and most of their hires were C-tier budget hires, a good third of whom have since been fired less than a year later. The company changed dramatically when they closed Series B (with a strange VC firm who only ever did seed rounds previously), so be prepared to watch things rapidly shift.

Good experience, glad I did it and it's on my resume, not something I would do again unless I got more control over the work and a better stake in the company

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

goblin week posted:

worst case you can try to get a qa job not in games. it's not the best but it exists, pays more than zero dollars, and might, if you're lucky, put you in an org with an opportunity for growth. if you already have a track record of building testing tooling that's good and in 12 months you can teach yourself selenium or whatever.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

goblin week posted:

do advent of code, read some books, and some misc projects

if you need help with what would be good project…
https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1678604697735929856

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Its a Rolex posted:

Good experience, glad I did it and it's on my resume, not something I would do again unless I got more control over the work and a better stake in the company

This is how I am viewing it. They're opening to up-leveling the position and I'd be working alongside a staff level front-end engineer, so i'm going to ask about a title advancement to lead/staff.

Pay at this point for me is just a cherry. I'd rather be interested in the work, have a ton of ownership, lead some great projects, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I've been sitting in on interviews and maybe because its fully remote but even the handful of candidates picked out of hundreds are really rough. if you can explain what you worked on and how you did it and how you'd do it again even somewhat clearly you'd already be near the top.