Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Soricidus posted:

they called it electron because it has negative value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Celexi posted:

vs code is cool because of how light it is and how it does everything, i'd rather use regular vs for windows apps though. but I think vs code killed a lot of income to others like jetbrains and atom

jetbrains IDEs are way better than vs code for anything compiled though, because it's both faster/snappier and has better integration and tooling

I admit that for anything web focused vs code is probably the best, partly because there's so many disparate languages and frameworks and besides typescript they aren't really compiled/transpiled and partly because it has a similar extension mentality to nodejs, python et al

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
every once in a while I spin up vscode to see if it’s caught up to jetbrains yet, and every time it is just worse at everything, with the single exception of remote editing, which is still exemplary.

so I guess I can wholeheartedly recommend vscode to anyone who is editing code directly in production, it’s the ideal choice for you!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Soricidus posted:

every once in a while I spin up vscode to see if it’s caught up to jetbrains yet, and every time it is just worse at everything, with the single exception of remote editing, which is still exemplary.

so I guess I can wholeheartedly recommend vscode to anyone who is editing code directly in production, it’s the ideal choice for you!

its the ideal choice for doing linux dev (which is what almost everything is) without having to have your own desktop be a replication of the relevant environment (originally i wrote 'linux', but while very yospos a comment it is more fair to note that you avoid having to like run an ancient rhel to make it fully representative). so the killer app of it is *really* clear-cut.

it is also very much in the emacs tradition in a good way. js is a way worse language than lisp, but with the emacs approach to poo poo it turns out even js+npm is better than trying to do rms-approved elisp.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't actually tried that part, but for embedded it mostly wouldn't work I think, since even if your device is running some flavour of linux/bsd it's going to be severely cut down

also the debugging and code analysis is way better in jetbrains for c++

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Soricidus posted:

the silent majority

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

Sagebrush posted:

also, if anyone hasn't tried the official microsoft Terminal app available from the store, check it out. i found it the other day and it's pretty dang great. it's tabbed and supports all the different interfaces so you can run a traditional cmd prompt, a powershell window, and a WSL terminal all simultaneously in different tabs. it also different color themes and even the fun gimmick where it renders text with scanlines and glow. i like it

scott hanselman's powershell prompt is pretty slick, a few coworkers have asked me about it

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
emacs is a text editor construction kit that requires you to write 1000 lines of elisp to make it do whatever idiosyncratic bullshit. vscode works ootb.

one thing vscode is very good at is source controlled project-specific settings. if intellij is anything to go by then jetbrains stuff is an absolute disaster in that regard.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Sagebrush posted:

yeah that's a ripoff. vs code is where it's at.

also, if anyone hasn't tried the official microsoft Terminal app available from the store, check it out. i found it the other day and it's pretty dang great. it's tabbed and supports all the different interfaces so you can run a traditional cmd prompt, a powershell window, and a WSL terminal all simultaneously in different tabs. it also different color themes and even the fun gimmick where it renders text with scanlines and glow. i like it

I believe it is the default in win 11 as I didn't do anything to install it and I love it.
It did break scrollback for telnet, but the only thing I use telnet(lol) for is my router.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

gnatalie posted:

scott hanselman's powershell prompt is pretty slick, a few coworkers have asked me about it
tried this and only got Meg, Mogg & Owl comics

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mr. Nice! posted:

here's the ms article about it when i started digging. i only figured it out because my video card dashboard told me i had 4200 hours of alien isolation played.

that sucks but also el mao

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Sapozhnik posted:

one thing vscode is very good at is source controlled project-specific settings. if intellij is anything to go by then jetbrains stuff is an absolute disaster in that regard.

yeah jetbrains doesn't really do that, regular VS does though (which causes a ton of issues sometimes)

I don't mind because not everyone has the same settings and it's not a huge issue to spend a few hours setting up your environment, but ymmv

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Sapozhnik posted:

emacs is a text editor construction kit that requires you to write 1000 lines of elisp to make it do whatever idiosyncratic bullshit. vscode works ootb.

this used to be an issue with intellij more so than it is now. modern versions provide a default .gitignore for project-specific files in the .idea dir, though sometimes plugins can throw extra crap in there and muck it up

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

i think the point was the opposite one, that it's hard to share .idea via source control, but maybe I misunderstood

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

yeah, that’s what the .gitignore in .idea is for, as opposed to putting all of .idea into .gitignore

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

oh, i now see that i misspoke, my bad

i meant it creates a .gitignore for user-specific files in .idea

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

its the ideal choice for doing linux dev (which is what almost everything is) without having to have your own desktop be a replication of the relevant environment

i simply do linux dev in jetbrains ides without having my desktop be a replication of the relevant environment, op

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
entra id. lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

enta? id rather not tia

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
more like don’t-a

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

entra deez nuts

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Something keeps expanding the 'Network' pane in Explorer and making the window lock up while my pc screams into the void and waits for some random machines to reply across the VPN

I have no fuckin idea what sets it off, I deliberately keep that pane collapsed and the frequency seems to be completely random

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why not just disable network discovery?

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I don't have admin rights on my work machine and IT are adamant network discovery is needed for....something

Also this is new behaviour in the last few weeks, I've never encountered it before

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just noticed an "AI Hub" thing appear on the sidebar of the Microsoft Store on my PC, gross:

however it's now disappeared which is good i guess.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i don’t think i have ever opened the microsoft store on my pc

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i do it occasionally, to let it update things, as a treat

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

not enough people will interact with the tab so it will be blown up and ai garbage will be spread in a thin coating over everything in the store, and eventually all of windows

the good news is 12 middle managers will get a big stock grant

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i do it occasionally, to let it update things, as a treat

I don’t think you need to do that? I thought ms store stuff auto updates

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah probably but i like updating stuff, it makes me feel good to see it happen

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Last Chance posted:

I don’t think you need to do that? I thought ms store stuff auto updates

it does, because i check occasionally and it'll have updated within minutes of waking

Pile Of Garbage posted:

yeah probably but i like updating stuff, it makes me feel good to see it happen

same here, it's like the feeling of manually defragging drives in the 90's

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

was looking at garbage in the Microsoft store and came across this: https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/battlenet-games-manager-and-launcher/9N4PLZDTWZLB. it's been up there since April, i guess all of Activision/Blizzard's lawyers are busy with the Microsoft buy-out at the moment lol

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
why does Teams on my Mac always try to use my iPhone camera (in my pocket or face-down on my desk) instead of the big beautiful FaceTime HD camera on the same chassis as the default speakers and microphone?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

because its poo poo, op

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also why the gently caress is the camera button right next to the mute button, and tries to initialize the camera when you mouse-over it

Hed posted:

why does Teams on my Mac always try to use my iPhone camera (in my pocket or face-down on my desk) instead of the big beautiful FaceTime HD camera on the same chassis as the default speakers and microphone?
Because you use a mac, see

Carthag Tuek posted:

because its poo poo, op

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hed posted:

sorry for the naive response, but have you gone into Settings -> Devices and selected the internal camera?

I have multiple cameras and Teams is actually pretty good about it. certainly better than audio devices.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
it’s great. I’m just bitching but if someone knew how to never have that happen I wouldn’t mind.

i do what you do (assuming you mean settings in the Teams app), it stays like that until a macOS or maybe Teams app update. then suddenly next call it will make a weird tone and I realize it’s trying to use my phone again.

Hed fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jul 26, 2023

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh god they updated Outlook and the mail/calendar/todo toggle is now a huge panel across the whole height of the winodw :argh:

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh god they updated Outlook and the mail/calendar/todo toggle is now a huge panel across the whole height of the winodw :argh:

ya I've had that for a couple of months now. It blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mobby_6kl posted:

they did that a while back. to go back to how it was go into options advanced and uncheck "show apps in outlook" and then restart outlook.