Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

orangelex44 posted:

sweet I've been dying for fantasy Aurora 4x!

1 before your mages can cast a spell, you have to design it first

2 then you need to research it

3 then assign a mage as test caster for the prototype spell

4 your prototyping mage gets headshot by a crossbow on the first turn, go back to 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

PurpleXVI posted:

Now all units have inventories, and you have to manually equip all your units with weapons and armor or they'll go off to battle barehanded.

You joke, but compared to more... normal fantasy strategy games, Dominions isn't that far away from that. You have to manage the full gear loadout+gems+battle position+bodyguards+scripts of 80-100 commanders in big games. In other 4x games, the equivalent are 'hero' units, and you have the 4-6 of them.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Turin Turambar posted:

You joke, but compared to more... normal fantasy strategy games, Dominions isn't that far away from that. You have to manage the full gear loadout+gems+battle position+bodyguards+scripts of 80-100 commanders in big games. In other 4x games, the equivalent are 'hero' units, and you have the 4-6 of them.

The flip side is that there's no real leveling, quests, and all diplomacy is informal. The balance is also more like that of a sandbox free-for-all shooter than a conventional fantasy TBS though.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The flip side imo is that there is no complex city management. You build forts/labs/temples, that's it. You aren't building barracks and aqueducts, nor managing what tiles are harvested around a city, nor taxes and corruption levels, etc etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Turin Turambar posted:

The flip side imo is that there is no complex city management. You build forts/labs/temples, that's it. You aren't building barracks and aqueducts, nor managing what tiles are harvested around a city, nor taxes and corruption levels, etc etc.

Yet.

Just wait for Dominions 7...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Redrob has a city building mod that abuses sites iirc. More of an experiment than something you'd actually want to play of course.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

LukasR23 posted:

I genuinely don't remember everything about aggro manipulation in Dom5, so I initially just set them up as commanders with a big sack of HP and very little magic resistance. Which I believe was the biggest magnet for spellcasters in 5?

:lmao:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Turin Turambar posted:

-Very strong scales can gently caress up provinces, we can imagine that easily with Death or Heat/Cold, but it's even the case with 'good' scales like Order 5 (magic research is stiffed by lack of creativity) or Magic 5 (units may randomly be horror marked). But I imagine this can be the typical obscure mechanic that Illwinter loves putting but most of the time won't have any effect.

poo poo game won't buy

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

It would help so loving much if you could select multiple commanders, and then do an action to all of them on one go.

Or even better, drag mages to troop positions under a commander, and then give orders to the "squad" of them. And give gems to the squad, which they would share amongst themselves.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
They better have updated music. That's one of my favorite things for new Dominions.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
Is there an official subtitle for Dominions 6 yet?

If not, some joke ones?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

LordSloth posted:

Is there an official subtitle for Dominions 6 yet?

If not, some joke ones?

Possibly there is one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tuna-Fish posted:

It would help so loving much if you could select multiple commanders, and then do an action to all of them on one go.

You can already do this. Just not for all actions. Accidentally telling 40+ mages to forge something and then having to tell nearly all of them "No, not you", one by one, is a trip :shepface:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Arcvasti posted:

Possibly there is one.

Wheeled Elephant...

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Mass scripting of targetted rituals like mind hunt is v annoying currently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tuna-Fish posted:

Or even better, drag mages to troop positions under a commander, and then give orders to the "squad" of them. And give gems to the squad, which they would share amongst themselves.

There are so many things and ways to improve the micro situation, and improve the situation. Those are good examples.

Instead, they will put a pair of filters more in F1 screen and four more shortcut keys. Because as Illwinter have designed it, there is a big overlap between being good at Dominions, and being good at Vim.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Imaginary Baron posted:

You know it’s funny, the sfx are rough but the Dominions and COE series has great music and I really hope they pull in music from the same composer as COE 5 (Adrian von Ziegler) because it completely nails the atmosphere of the games.

Dom5's main theme is so stupidly good.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Turin Turambar posted:

High death can transform a forest into a plains (and the province art will change accordingly).

This is interesting, and I'm wondering what it means from a technical standpoint. Are we talking something similar to #winterimagefile, with a different image for every terrain type? Is map rendering now entirely procedural and arbitrary jpgs can't be maps any more?

orangelex44 posted:

sweet I've been dying for fantasy Aurora 4x!

Libluini posted:

1 before your mages can cast a spell, you have to design it first

2 then you need to research it

3 then assign a mage as test caster for the prototype spell

4 your prototyping mage gets headshot by a crossbow on the first turn, go back to 1

I mean. I'd play it. Fantasy military-industrial complex simulator.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gotta admit i never cared for the dom 5 soundtrack, i feel like the strings & pan pipes aesthetic of dom 4's music is a lot more dominions-y. glad to hear it'll be making a return

Ess
Mar 20, 2013
I miss the "santa maria" of Dom3

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Jazerus posted:

gotta admit i never cared for the dom 5 soundtrack, i feel like the strings & pan pipes aesthetic of dom 4's music is a lot more dominions-y. glad to hear it'll be making a return

I'd be a little disappointed if they kept the old soundtrack completely unchanged, tbh. The tracks themselves are good, with a couple exceptions, but the audio quality sounds like something recorded on a cell phone 12 years ago. (The og album has a much higher sampling rate that I'd love to hear in game: http://magnatune.com/artists/albums/erik-dram)

It's possible the old tracks are kept around while the rights to the actual soundtrack is being sorted out.

BurntCornMuffin fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jul 21, 2023

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2511500/Dominions_6__Rise_of_the_Pantokrator/
Steampage dropped

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A new Basque nation? With multiple ages, judging by that description.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I'm guessing with the new cavern-layer, the devs wanted to add more nations related to cave-dwelling, to spice things up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

That would make sense. I guess these would be a hybrid, as they're surface dwelling by default but have darkvision?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

As Spanish, I'm feeling pretty amused with the move.

a "leak" I had heard was something about a new gem, I guess this is it:

Given the color it has... I think it will be something like a wildcard, able to replace any other gem for a given ritual. edit: or not, it seems there is truly a new magic path.

Three planes / layers.

One of the beta testers commented falling frost/fire was different, I guess this is it:

It looks better!

Notice the tab for the mount:

Oh lalah, you can see magical paths in the pretender screen! what a luxury

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jul 22, 2023

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I assume they're Glamour gems. Steam page says this:

quote:

The second and probably most influential change is the addition of a new magic path. No longer are illusions the domain of Air magic. Instead illusions, phantasms, dreams and the stuff of forgotten legends are manipulated with the path of Glamour. This has resulted in many new spells, items and sites being added to the game.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
In practice, it's basically the Illusionist class from CoE, with a less focus on mirrors.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Amuys posted:

In practice, it's basically the Illusionist class from CoE, with a less focus on mirrors.

I wonder, have they created too new air spells, if they have moved some spells from Air to Glamour? edit: I have read it takes somes stuff from both Air and Astral.

also, I'm blind, I see now the arrows of different width

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 22, 2023

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Turin Turambar posted:

Oh lalah, you can see magical paths in the pretender screen! what a luxury

More than just magic paths, there's scales on some of those Pretenders. Presumably those are the ones with permanent shifts to the maximum scale value.

edit: I'm liking the new PG that looks like it's just (judging by the paths) a random hot spring people decided to worship.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 22, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mu. posted:

I assume they're Glamour gems. Steam page says this:

Assuming this means that phantasmal warrior/wolves are no longer air spells, this is a massive buff to air. Air has a staying power problem because if you research any alteration, after scripts run out your mages will refuse to cast useful spells. If phantasms are removed, only useful spells remain.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Lord Koth posted:

edit: I'm liking the new PG that looks like it's just (judging by the paths) a random hot spring people decided to worship.

Hot hot hot! So good! Gang gang

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Get this: being able to order mages to use only one school of magic after their scripts/orders finish.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

Tuna-Fish posted:

Assuming this means that phantasmal warrior/wolves are no longer air spells, this is a massive buff to air. Air has a staying power problem because if you research any alteration, after scripts run out your mages will refuse to cast useful spells. If phantasms are removed, only useful spells remain.

Air still has a lot of neat stuff but is specced more towards evocations and archer buffs now to accommodate for the loss of illusions spells.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Twist: it's the magical spring from Ranma 1/2 , and transforms people who falls into other beings.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Amuys posted:

Air still has a lot of neat stuff but is specced more towards evocations and archer buffs now to accommodate for the loss of illusions spells.

The point is that illusions were usually undesirable for off-script mages, so removing them makes air magic better. It sounds like air elementals got quite a nerf though so it probably works out.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

the holy poopacy posted:

The point is that illusions were usually undesirable for off-script mages, so removing them makes air magic better. It sounds like air elementals got quite a nerf though so it probably works out.

Don't worry, we still have blink as an offscript spell to suicide your favorite mage right when the battle is won! On the subject of that, there is a battlespell that now prevents outright death if you lose a magic duel (severe brain damage aside) so Illwinter does listen to some balance issues!

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Can't wait to mow some fools down with some clowns

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
JUST CHOOSE AVAILABLE SPELL SCHOOLS AFTER INITIAL TURNS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

All it really needed was a "spam THIS spell after finishing your queue" and then you could never worry about accidentally weakening your mages.