Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

SimonSays posted:

Your cassette is an MTB cassette, like all Shimano's 11-34. The 1.85mm spacer is to make it fit an 11-road hub.

Oh so for future reference, Shimano's 11-34 and 11-36 12spd road cassettes do not require the 1.85mm spacer on 11/12spd HG and HG-EV freehubs...and thus can't be fitted to 10spd freehubs at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

TobinHatesYou posted:

Oh so for future reference, Shimano's 11-34 and 11-36 12spd road cassettes do not require the 1.85mm spacer on 11/12spd HG and HG-EV freehubs...and thus can't be fitted to 10spd freehubs at all.

Right, my bad, I still refuse to remember a single thing about 12-speed unless it involves a 6sp freewheel

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

Slavvy posted:

???? The rim literally has 622x21 written in the specs and it measures almost exactly 21 internally with calipers, the tape before installation is about the same width as the outside of the wheel to the point where I struggled to get it to fit inside the rim at all. That's why I'm thinking the tape moved.

Ok yeah the tape I have doesn't really stretch at all, if you try to stretch it it just snaps, it has a plasticky feel to it. That's why I had to curve it to get it to sit inside the rim, otherwise it would just stick to the outside and be impossible to fit evenly into the trough of the rim. I can see it moving after I put the tyre on if the glue just sucks. I did everything else like your describe so I guess I'll just have to get some $40 tape.

I got so pissed at tape I bought this:

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/collections/tubeless/products/caffelatex-tubeless-strip-tubeless-rim-strip?variant=39094989979799

If you can find it local might be worth trying. It's been problem free going on two years for me.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Slavvy posted:

Thanks for the help guys

I was going to say you could put a tube in there but I didn't want to be that mean.

Anyway today as cosmic retribution I got a flat (while riding tubes) for the first time in years

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TobinHatesYou posted:

The real move would be to find a source for 3M 8992 or "green powder coat masking tape."

This poo poo is the business. I bought a couple rolls a few years back for like :10bux: instead of overpriced branded tubeless tape on goon advice and it works so good and will last me a good loooong while

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
On this topic, are there such things as.. better tubes? Like we've just got some basic generic tubes in our tires right now, but are there improvements that can be made in some upgrades? Are like, tubes with sealant a thing? Or some kind of puncture resistant tubes, or any way to augment the tire to reduce the odds of a puncture? I don't see myself going tubeless anytime soon but surely there's some improvements to be had on the tube side of the spectrum.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There are goo filled tubes, but if you really want to shell out money you can get ultra light weight tubes that are 1/3rd as heavy as normal. ($40 each lol)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You can also get puncture resistant tape stuff you line the inside of the tyre with but it evidently makes your tires roll slower

You can also get solid rubber tires

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Back in my day there were DH tubes that were huge thick pieces of poo poo that cost a million dollars and would deaden your wheel completely on top of weighing as much as a tire.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Mederlock posted:

On this topic, are there such things as.. better tubes? Like we've just got some basic generic tubes in our tires right now, but are there improvements that can be made in some upgrades? Are like, tubes with sealant a thing? Or some kind of puncture resistant tubes, or any way to augment the tire to reduce the odds of a puncture? I don't see myself going tubeless anytime soon but surely there's some improvements to be had on the tube side of the spectrum.

The only real tube options outside of traditional butyl tubes are latex tubes - which reduce rolling resistence but aren't really much more puncture resistant - and TPU tubes - which are made of a sort of plastic and can pack down tightly but may or may not be more puncture resistant depending on who you ask.

Personally, I stick with what I know and use the old fashioned tubes. They aren't puncture proof but they're cheaper than the alternatives and easy to patch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Weembles posted:

The only real tube options outside of traditional butyl tubes are latex tubes - which reduce rolling resistence but aren't really much more puncture resistant - and TPU tubes - which are made of a sort of plastic and can pack down tightly but may or may not be more puncture resistant depending on who you ask.

Personally, I stick with what I know and use the old fashioned tubes. They aren't puncture proof but they're cheaper than the alternatives and easy to patch.

I just use whatever 'enduro tubes' are sold at the base of Whistler, I'm not sure what the brand is but they seem fine. I've never flatted one without asking for it by doing something dumb like riding a non-dh casing tire in the bike park.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

SRAM double-tap brifter teardown, clean and re-grease, Surprisingly easy to do, not that much going on in there that you can service really as all of the parts are pinned/riveted together. The front derailleur one was more of a pain in the arse to get back together than the rear but still not that hard.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I kept getting flats on my commuter with 27" wheels and limited options for tires so I got a thorn resistant tube for the rear wheel and no more flats. It's my commuter, so I don't care if it's heavy and slow as hell as long as I don't have to change a flat (it's heavy and slow as hell).

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Normal tubes with removable valves (schwalbe at least) can also have sealant inserted to them. Results may vary but likely it's not gonna be worse.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Mederlock posted:

I've got some of those Ridenow TPU tubes getting shipped to me that weightweenies seems to love. 36 grams and ~$20 bucks for 4 tubes. We'll see how well they work!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Mederlock posted:

Why go with different tubes rather than get tires with puncture resistance? If you're not bothered about the rolling quality too much, Marathon Plus are damned hard to puncture.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VelociBacon posted:

I just use whatever 'enduro tubes' are sold at the base of Whistler, I'm not sure what the brand is but they seem fine. I've never flatted one without asking for it by doing something dumb like riding a non-dh casing tire in the bike park.

Oh dope, this seems like the best compromise. I don't really care about going an extra 1-3 km/hr, but having something a bit beefier without being $LBS priced or dealing with goo in the tube seems like a good compromise.

SimonSays posted:

Why go with different tubes rather than get tires with puncture resistance? If you're not bothered about the rolling quality too much, Marathon Plus are damned hard to puncture.

For sure that's the best place to start, but as I'm on old 27" rims, my options for offroad-ish 3-season gravel capable tires with puncture resistance are limited. Once we transition to 700C we'll have more options on that front. I ended up with the Kenda K161 Kross Cyclo and they've been flat free for the couple hundred KM's we've collectively put on them on some pretty rough trails so far.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Poorly set b-gap could also make shifting suck.

It was this :doh:, somehow the shifting worked OK but with a really incorrect b-gap (it was at ~18mm instead of 11mm), until it didn't. Maybe I used the max 36t side of the tool not the XPLR one, not sure how I got it so far off otherwise :confused:.

Anyway shifting seems to work perfectly across the whole cassette now. I ordered a spare hanger too since you never know when it might be handy.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
I'm building my fist road bike with disc brakes and the last thing I have not ordered are rotors.

Any opinions on 140 vs 160?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't have any personal experience with rotors but the reasonably well-designed tests I've seen people do on YouTube pretty consistently show something like 15% better braking with the larger rotor. Makes sense, there's more leverage(? I think that'd be the term) relative to the center of the axle with a larger diameter rotor, and the heat generated is spread out over a larger area. Your front brakes are by far the most important ones, it seems a lot of folks are going 160mm front and 140mm rear. Some people even run 180's up front but that seems to be more of a DH mountain bike thing and again I think it's more about the improved heat dissipation mitigating brake fade.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
One theory is that putting a smaller rotor in the back gives you less leverage, and then when you squeeze equally hard on both levers the back won't lock up, giving you better braking. Other people claim having a larger rotor in back lets you drag it, while saving the front brake for specific hard braking, and the added cooling in the rear supports that use case. A third group say that hydraulic discs are so good that it basically doesn't matter. Me? I say bigger looks cooler so add an adapter and go with 180s.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Withnail posted:

I'm building my fist road bike with disc brakes and the last thing I have not ordered are rotors.

160 brake better and overheat less, I don’t see any argument for 140mm other than weight weenie-ism.

You can go for 140mm on the back if you want, but it looks wrong to me.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

There’s really only upside to 160 over 140, except for the very small weight penalty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Guinness posted:

There’s really only upside to 160 over 140, except for the very small weight penalty.

You forgot the even smaller aero penalty*

*maybe the aero difference is more significant

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Withnail posted:

It won't matter one bit.

I am 200 fat rear end pounds and have no trouble with 140. But in hindsight I should have gone 160 because that is what most people use.

Picture this scene. You drive to a friend's house with your 140 equipped road bike for a planned 5 hour ride, only to discover that your rim is cracked upon arrival. If you had 160, you could just swap in one of your friend's extra wheels. But no.......... You have to be a minimalist and save the gram. Begin the process of swapping your 140 onto his extra wheel, only to realize that that you are centerlock and his is a bolt on. No problem, Let's just flip the wedge on my bike to accept a 160. And that is when you strip out one of the bolts that hold the caliper to the fork.

Don't ask how I know this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Not a roadie but also probably depends where you ride. If you're insane and do the mountain climbs and then long descents you really need the larger rotor for heat dissipation.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are tubeless conversions using split tubes garbage for babies?

Should I use tape?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

Me? I say bigger looks cooler so add an adapter and go with 180s.

I'd go 203 front if I could but I don't think anyone makes touring forks that can handle the brake stress, at least the last time I checked. 180 front and back will have to do for now with 120kg of bike, rider and gear.

I wonder if anyone makes a dual-disc fork and hub combo to help with the heat by allowing you to alternate which rotor is in use. Would probably handle and feel weird as hell, and I'm not sure it'd even help all that much with dissipation being so close together and thermally connected.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Should I use tape?

Yes and yes. It's cheap, why risk leaks/hassle?

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Had my first flat tire a week ago on my street bike. Replaced the tube and hit it with that compressed air metal tube thing that I keep in the bag. Got home fine. The next day, the tire was flat but I assume that's because of whatever weird compressed air was in it and is probably temporary. After a flat, is it normal to just need a new tube or am I gonna need a new tire as well? The tires have about 2200 miles on them.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You almost 100% for sure have shrapnel in your tire that re-punctured the new tube. Did you feel for sharp spots on the inside when you pulled the old tube?

The other option is you might have underinflated the new tube to limp home and got a pinch flat. Those can leave characteristic snake-bite marks with two holes.

Co2 should leak out of a tire slower than air because its more 50% more dense IIRC

mystes
May 31, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

Co2 should leak out of a tire slower than air because its more 50% more dense IIRC
I've heard lots of people claim that it leaks out of tubes much faster, are you sure that isn't true? Apparently it is supposed to be something specifically involving co2 and butyl tubes. Maybe it's a myth though

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 25, 2023

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Salt Fish posted:

You almost 100% for sure have shrapnel in your tire that re-punctured the new tube. Did you feel for sharp spots on the inside when you pulled the old tube?

The other option is you might have underinflated the new tube to limp home and got a pinch flat. Those can leave characteristic snake-bite marks with two holes.

I'll take the tire off again and peek at the tube. I didn't check for shrapnel. I did notice a couple punctures on the tire itself though as I was replacing the tube. It was my first time replacing a tube on the side of the road so I could have done something wrong and pinched it. Thanks for the tips!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Huh apparently Co2 is specifically soluble in rubber (:psyduck:), so it is a special case where density and molecule size doesn't determine the diffusion rate.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/does-co2-leak-out-latex-inner-tube-faster-than-air-mark-barrilleaux

Congrats on your freshly carbonated tires I guess.

edit: here's a cool video about keeping gases inside membranes that I really like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjiP8QIPews

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

poemdexter posted:

I did notice a couple punctures on the tire itself though as I was replacing the tube.

In some cases, a sharp bit can wedge into one of those cuts and slowly worm its way to the inside and threaten the tube. You can push out the carcass from the inside to try to expand the cut and see if there’s debris inside.
And anything that’s got daylight should be booted to protect the tube.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

In some cases, a sharp bit can wedge into one of those cuts and slowly worm its way to the inside and threaten the tube. You can push out the carcass from the inside to try to expand the cut and see if there’s debris inside.
And anything that’s got daylight should be booted to protect the tube.

I get that sometimes with thorns. They work their way into the tire but don't poke out enough to be detected unless the tire is flexed just right.

Flexing the tire like you describe helps a lot. Feeling along the inside in addition to looking is great too. Some of the little tire gremlins that cause leaks like that can be tiny.

Also, getting into the habit on patching tires instead of always using new ones helped me to figure out if I'm getting a puncture in the same place which can indicate a hidden sharp bit in the tire.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Coxswain Balls posted:

I wonder if anyone makes a dual-disc fork and hub combo to help with the heat by allowing you to alternate which rotor is in use. Would probably handle and feel weird as hell, and I'm not sure it'd even help all that much with dissipation being so close together and thermally connected.
That's every sports/literbike ever and it's fine. It's down to design/implementation more that configuration.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Going to get some Juin tech cable-actuated hydraulic brake calipers for my gravel bike today (similar to TRP HY/RD), they seem to be pretty well regarded and are cheaper than the alternatives. Also got some jagwire compressionless cable housing to go with it, it's an old bike so not worth upgrading the shifters to full hydraulic but this should apparently be the next best thing.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

And speak of the devil, the brakes arrived today and they look pretty sweet (got gold to match the yellow accents on the frame). First impressions are they seem like they mean business, I've hooked them up using jagwire compressionless brake housing and they feel pretty solid although still not as good as a full hydro setup. I haven't finished the bike yet though so I haven't ridden them yet.

I also had to service my pedals as there was some play in one and they were spinning a bit too freely. I don't have the proper shimano lockring tool for their pedals but I found a 3D print file for one online and so I printed it. The printed tool works perfectly! I guess that's to be expected because the correct tool is also made of plastic. Pretty easy to teardown and regrease these SPD pedals and now they're back to feeling like new again with no play (I adjusted the cup-and-cone type open bearings).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Should I use tape?

This is apparently the original way it was done, before anyone even sold tubeless presta valves. It was considered obsolete before I ever set up a tubeless tire so I’ve never tried it