Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
dell inspiron 1100

“dude, you’re getting a dell!”

…that would clog with dust after two weeks, shatter like a pane of glass if dropped, and inevitably end up with a call to support that started with “i think i have a virus”

when i worked college tech support, you could kiss an afternoon goodbye if someone walked in with one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Wild EEPROM posted:

if it was the p4 era then it would be ibooks and powerbooks

you're right, it was a very long time ago. the rest of the story is accurate. sorry, i'm old =/

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
a terrible snype for a terrible laptop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Roosevelt posted:

there was a sales guy at my old job who kept breaking his stuff (by throwing computers out of windows, running them over, etc.), so he always had POS laptops like that

oh my god at a previous job i had an office right next to a sales guy and his loving default nokia ringtone went off at least once per hour

even for a sales guy that was a lot of phone calls cause we werent getting new customers

e: you know what he probably set that as his alarm tone for like 48 minutes or some poo poo to seem productive

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

hey

hey what the gently caress

:smug: feeling called out?

Jonny 290 posted:

that's what i'm saying

that apple laptop would have looked so slick in that crowd too lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Agile Vector posted:

:smug: feeling called out?

that apple laptop would have looked so slick in that crowd too lol

did u just call me a salesbro

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Captain Foo posted:

did u just call me a salesbro

Gotta land sales to be a salesbro

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

Carthag Tuek posted:

oh my god at a previous job i had an office right next to a sales guy and his loving default nokia ringtone went off at least once per hour

I worked next to a project manager who took all his meetings/phone calls on speaker phone and I have not ever wanted to murder anyone more than Ken. gently caress you ken

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

laserghost posted:

My idiot father for some dumbass reason thought that getting two of these, used, was a good investment. One turned up non-functional and the second one ran like poo poo. He was always easy to hype for stupidest poo poo somebody wanted to get rid of lol

my father in law is like this and i live with him. you shoulda seen how hype he got when curved lcd tvs were being spruiked, holy moley

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

there was this sales dude that joined one of the places i worked at (long long time ago)

"hey jonny what laptop should i get? they said i get $x"

"Well, for sales, I think a macbook air or low end pro is really classy, it'll never break, and the battery lasts a long time"

"okay"

Comes in the next day with this thing. "Got a great deal!"

:stare:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i dunno, looks like a fast machine to me

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

git apologist posted:

my father in law is like this and i live with him. you shoulda seen how hype he got when curved lcd tvs were being spruiked, holy moley

holy poo poo, when i was tv shopping in 2015 i thought the world had gone mad because of all the curved screens and 3d tvs, it was a hype bonanza

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I worked next to a project manager who took all his meetings/phone calls on speaker phone and I have not ever wanted to murder anyone more than Ken. gently caress you ken

:blastu:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beve Stuscemi posted:

The HP Pavilion DV Series. I would like to posit that this is the shittiest laptop of all time.

the intel/nvidia version of these are the ones most notorious for cracking their BGA balls due to thermal cycling, eventually killing the chipset and therefore the machine. saw so many of these machines come into the repair shop for this, usually a lost cause.

the only thing they came in more often for was busted-out power jacks. at least those we could fix.

if you were to inventory the piles of abandoned unrepairable parts machines, #1 would be these and #2 would be those optiplexes that had the bulging/leaky caps next to the cpu.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Raluek posted:

the intel/nvidia version of these are the ones most notorious for cracking their BGA balls due to thermal cycling, eventually killing the chipset and therefore the machine. saw so many of these machines come into the repair shop for this, usually a lost cause.

the only thing they came in more often for was busted-out power jacks. at least those we could fix.

if you were to inventory the piles of abandoned unrepairable parts machines, #1 would be these and #2 would be those optiplexes that had the bulging/leaky caps next to the cpu.

lmfao we lived the same life yeah

i had a dv9000 that died and was abandoned at the shop due to overheating and i took it home, pulled the motherboard and that's how i learned how to reflow poo poo in the oven

then based on that i made a grand or so reflowing overheated 360s

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I think my biggest question about those Ferrari Acers is why the hell did Ferrari lend their name to that? you’d think they’d be more protective of their brand.

Ferrari probably makes more money from licencing their brand to video games and idk stuff like cologne and belts than actual cars.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

nudgenudgetilt posted:

i dunno, looks like a fast machine to me

As long you keep the motor clean.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

Gotta land sales to be a salesbro

oooOOoooOOOooh

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sweevo posted:

ps2 to USB adaptors are just adapting the connector. there's no electronics inside them, the mouse/keyboard itself has to understand USB, and old ones won't.

same deal with the serial-ps2 adaptors you got with really old mice.

there are adapters that actually implement the PS/2 protocol and present the result via USB HID

the ones that you’d get with an early USB mouse for PC are the ones that just adapt the connector and implement both protocols on the hardware

the aftermarket “keep using your existing PS/2 keyboard and mouse with your new USB-only motherboard” adapters typically implement the protocols themselves

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had a curved TV it was fine, but also it developed banding on the screen (probably from being curved) so I called up the shop about a month before the 5 year guarantee ran out and they gave me like 80% of the purchase price back so it was actually an excellent deal

it did also look nicer than the generic large black box one we have now, but ooth the fancy looking ones like the Sonys cost 3x the amount

Roosevelt posted:

there was a sales guy at my old job who kept breaking his stuff (by throwing computers out of windows, running them over, etc.), so he always had POS laptops like that

Jonny Five Acers is real

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it did also look nicer than the generic large black box one we have now, but ooth the fancy looking ones like the Sonys cost 3x the amount

i just splurged on a 65” sony oled and it is gooooorgeous

the screen is semi gloss instead of full gloss too, which is way better for my setup, and also something that flat out didn’t exist in 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Presto posted:

As long you keep the motor clean.

turn your engine on

drei sekunden

los gehts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxSLU2-ERpk

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Am I the only person who liked my 3dtv?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

probably, i knew one person with a 3dtv and like everyone else they basically used it to watch avatar and never put the glasses on again

i did kinda want that small 3dtv sony put out as a playstation tv though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

3dtv would probably have done better had there been at least a couple of people with half james camerons knack with visuals.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Jonny Five Acers

Incredible

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

njsykora posted:

probably, i knew one person with a 3dtv and like everyone else they basically used it to watch avatar and never put the glasses on again

i did kinda want that small 3dtv sony put out as a playstation tv though

I have to admit I didn’t use the 3d a lot. Mostly when I wanted some novelty. One movie or maybe a play session of a game every few months. I had a 3d phone and it was cool to see my pictures and videos in 3d too.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

i basically did the same thing with my 3ds, i used the 3d a few times, got a headache from it, and left it off forever. now it's annoying when i get to the bonus areas in super mario 3d land that were built around the 3d view to reveal platforms that otherwise blend into a 2d view because i replaced my 3ds with a 2ds xl

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

nobody wants 3D. its a dumb gimmick the movie industry pushes every few decades in response to competing trechnology. in the 50s it was to counter rising TV ownership, in the 80s it was home video, and in the 2010s it was streaming.

they will try again in ~2045 in response to the next thing, and it won't work then either

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

there's going to be a big push for "4K 3D" to try and sell 8K tvs to people who have too much money but still think 8K is dumb for sure

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

3dtv would probably have done better had there been at least a couple of people with half james camerons knack with visuals.

if the industry creates a way to do it for multiple simultaneous viewers without requiring poo poo on your face that will send adoption through the roof. people don't like having poo poo on their face.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

jackass 3d is the pinnacle 3d film making.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
3d can be okay but i haven't really experienced anything that made me feel like it was anything more than a gimmick

i mean, i happen to like the effect, i play my 3ds a lot with the 3d slider turned all the way up. it certainly adds to the visual design of a lot of games, a link between worlds for example uses it very effectively to show multiple levels in a dungeon etc.

but really it's the same game with it turned off. it's just a visual flourish that ultimately doesn't add much to the actual experience of playing the game, and i pretty much feel the same way about 3D in visual media: it's the same show in 2D. to be sure it's a neat gimmick, but it's still a gimmick

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it's all dumb little gimmicks because the user base is overwhelmingly 2d. if there is ever a killer app that uses 3d well as an integral part of the experience and the hardware required isn't priced to the moon that will do it, but that's a giant gamble for studios and developers to take.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i thought the lenticular 3d screens (i.e. the 3ds) would become a thing on higher end tvs because of the 3dtv push about a decade ago and i'm a little disappointed that never materialized lol

it's a neat technology, the first time i tried the 3ds i was admittedly amazed. imagine that with a screen 10x larger

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

alyx is a fantastic game, and all you need is a computer with an ok graphics card and a $250 oculus headset, and vr still definitely has not taken off, so i doubt your hypothesis about a killer app for 3d tv

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

alyx is a fantastic game, and all you need is a computer with an ok graphics card and a $250 oculus headset, and vr still definitely has not taken off, so i doubt your hypothesis about a killer app for 3d tv

yeah you're talking about requiring an extra like $600 worth of stuff though (depending on how good the gpu is, plus you'd need the rest of the system to be pretty fast too). i think that's a real barrier to widespread adoption, but not as much as requiring people to wear something in order for it to work, let alone a stupid dorky vr headset

that's why i think the lenticular screens would have been cool and maybe good

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

are you being disingenuous or did you forget how much graphics cards cost, and how much they cost two years ago?

e: to be clear this is a response to sagebrush, not beef

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i said "decent" graphics card, not ultimate poopsock gamer grade. alyx is very well optimized and you can run it with a 1060. (7 years old)