Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

I honestly do like that bit, because despite supposedly being a protocol droid, 3PO is terrible at reading the room. Like, if it was just a thing in the background it would be annoying, but the fact that 3PO feels the need to call attention to it feels very in-character.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I do genuinly like that han and leia didnt work out. like they clearly love each other still but when their sun became darth Columbine, it broke them, she dived into doing good and fighting monsters and he kinda retreated into lovely smuggling work with crime gangs and monsters.

Yeah, I have no problem with that development. They have great chemistry, but that's not necessarily a foundation for a successful marriage, and that coupled with the trauma around Ben is a pretty reasonable recipe for separation. It helps that TFA is willing to let Han be a real scumbag for a minute, like if it was still him and Chewie smuggling spice for another Hutt it wouldn't really work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Rochallor posted:

I honestly do like that bit, because despite supposedly being a protocol droid, 3PO is terrible at reading the room. Like, if it was just a thing in the background it would be annoying, but the fact that 3PO feels the need to call attention to it feels very in-character.

Yeah, I have no problem with that development. They have great chemistry, but that's not necessarily a foundation for a successful marriage, and that coupled with the trauma around Ben is a pretty reasonable recipe for separation. It helps that TFA is willing to let Han be a real scumbag for a minute, like if it was still him and Chewie smuggling spice for another Hutt it wouldn't really work.

I mean he is smuggling monsters for despots and they killed all of his crew. He still kinda is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
He's basically helping Space Pablo Escobar stock his zoo. Not exactly a neutral act.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I saw that the From a Certain Point of View collection for ROTJ is coming out this month and there’s a story featuring… Dexter Jettster from AOTC? Very weird but I am on board for that.

Also Jason Fry doing a story about one of the Imperial advisors which I bet will be good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's a book to look forward to alright. Gimme that weird poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

I saw that the From a Certain Point of View collection for ROTJ is coming out this month and there’s a story featuring… Dexter Jettster from AOTC? Very weird but I am on board for that.

Also Jason Fry doing a story about one of the Imperial advisors which I bet will be good.

I actually like dexter. i like the idea of some resturant owner with a shady past who becomes friends with a jedi and he helps him out sometimes.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I genuinely can't wait to read this.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Hahahaha, Reading Champions of the Force and ghost Luke using toddler rear end Jacen to kill two headed bat birds(with badass scorpion tails) with a lightsaber. Wtf is going on

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
KJA taking goofy to the next level.

I love the Jedi Academy trilogy books, they're ridiculous.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I would have forgiven a lot of things about the Last Jedi if they'd gone to a cool blob racing planet instead of a boring space-horse racing planet.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

lots of things wrong with the jedi academy trilogy but lando's blob race adventures are not one of them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sequel trilogy could have also used a robot tentacle mountain fighting spider mechas and two toddlers taking an elevator from the natural history museum down to the center of the planet where they fight an ogre.

And Han Solo doing xtreme sports skiing.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Also more Wedge

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

fartknocker posted:

Also more Wedge

pls just make a Wedge solo movie.

Please make Starfighters of Adumar...

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Starfighters of Adumar but only if they stick exactly to the costumes described in the book because I desperately want to see Wes Janson with his stupid LED cape showing pictures of his own face

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Radio! posted:

Starfighters of Adumar but only if they stick exactly to the costumes described in the book because I desperately want to see Wes Janson with his stupid LED cape showing pictures of his own face

Oh I long for an exact replica of the text.

Janson taking off a coat of his own replicas doing dancing kicks then slapping a sexist into submission?

Yes please.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I really hope they figure out how to wrangle that Rogue Squadron movie back into existence.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody's said it already, but from what I've read of High Republic stuff it's interesting that the Jedi seem more about processing emotions than repressing them. Vern Rwoh, being ace, is a nice exploration of it when her Padawan (who is only like two years younger than she is) starts to have funky feelings she tries to help him with said feelings instead of "LOVE LEADS TO THE DARK SIDE" even if she doesn't grok physical attraction herself.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I really hope they figure out how to wrangle that Rogue Squadron movie back into existence.

Aside from direct adaptations of the novels (and Janson antics), what are the essential elements to look for in a Rogue Squadron movie? Or visual starfighter-focused mil scifi flavor Star Wars media in general?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
There should be at least one scene where the pilots unwind by playing a sport that kind of resembles volleyball.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Basically just Top Gun, But In Space, comes to mind.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

That makes a lot of sense, but Top Gun (and Maverick) are more like sports movies than war movies: most of the action and drama is in the practicing, training, and scrimmaging. Actual combat is saved for the very end. And they're set during peacetime, more or less, instead of ongoing wars.

Would a movie that's mostly simulator runs and training missions really scratch the itch? If there were only one or two "real" engagements?

An alternative would be to start more in the middle, with the Squadron already formed and operational, going on real and potentially fatal missions from the jump. But that takes it somewhat away from the peacetime fighter pilot academy vibes of the Top Guns.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The ewok and horse head guy better be pilots or why even loving bother.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Slashrat posted:

Basically just Top Gun, But In Space, comes to mind.

Maverick was the Death Star trench assault made into an entire film.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gnome de plume posted:

There should be at least one scene where the pilots unwind by playing a sport that kind of resembles volleyball.

Wasn’t this in one of the later X-wing comics? I really need to read those again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Yeah, this video goes into how the movie (while very good) was basically a Star Wars movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsojiWVVj00

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn’t this in one of the later X-wing comics? I really need to read those again.

They hold up pretty well. Winter's a fun character there and not quite so much a plot device to be wheeled out whenever 'holographic memory' would be handy.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

They hold up pretty well. Winter's a fun character there and not quite so much a plot device to be wheeled out whenever 'holographic memory' would be handy.

I read some of the early X-wing comics as a kid in the 90s, they may actually have been the first comics I ever read (the other contenders being some of the early TOTJ and Dark Empire). I re-read the X-wing run fully in the mid-00s and especially the later third once Isard comes in as the main villain really impressed me. Great plots and characters and for the most part really good art also.

It does still make me laugh that in the original Thrawn trilogy, Zahn introduced Winter as someone who people thought was Leia because she acted regal while Leia was a tomboy, but all subsequent authors took it as people thought Winter was Leia because they looked the same. It does kind of retroactively work as the Organas being inspired by Padme and her handmaidens, though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You mean Maverick was Iron Eagle II :v:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

You mean Maverick was Iron Eagle II :v:

Aren't there like 5 Iron Eagle movies?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

cptn_dr posted:

I genuinely can't wait to read this.

This is even funnier because if I remember correctly Boba Fett blast the poo poo out of it in his show and kills it.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Sort of like in the first volume where Griffin McElroy's story is about the little Jawa who dreams about visiting the stars and then the next story that Jawa and their whole family get murdered immediately.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Free Zoom event that might interest some people in this thread:

Vernon Press, a small academic publisher, just put out two related volumes of academic essays this year, the first on Star Trek and the second on Star Wars. Of interest in this thread is that the Star Wars volume has a few EU-related entries (the Trek one also has an essay comparing Abrams' 2009 Trek and TFA) and John Jackson Miller wrote essays in each (and his Trek one also delves a bit into the experience of Star Wars spinoff canon compared to his Trek work). Full disclosure, I wrote one of the Trek essays, on Voyager.

The Mythgard Institute at Signum University is going to be having a free public Zoom event on 6 PM EST on Sunday, September 10 where the editors and at least some of the authors of each volume will be present and will be talking and answering questions about their work and just discussing Trek and Wars (and their EUs) informally. I will say I'm not sure if JJM will be there but even if not it should be of interest.

The Zoom registration link is here: https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUqc-qqqz8iH92gRS5oaFlOFdkuDMMNgjpa#/registration

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is Isard pronounced as Eye-sard or as Is-sard? This could be almost as mindscrewy for me as the time I realized Tycho Celchu was pronounced Sell-Koo and not Kel-Chew

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Isard pronounced as Eye-sard or as Is-sard? This could be almost as mindscrewy for me as the time I realized Tycho Celchu was pronounced Sell-Koo and not Kel-Chew

I've been going with EE-sard

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Her nickname is "Iceheart", right? I took that as a cue that her name is pronounced "AYE-sard" since it was closer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arc Hammer posted:

Huh i was doing Sell-Chew

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Michael, you can type this poo poo but you sure can't say it!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Read a smidge of Stackpole and...ehh? Felt very dry to read

Skipped ahead to Wraith Squadron and enjoyed it immensely, and am in the process of devouring the next book

Iron Fist chapter 8 posted:

" The community where she grew up, New Oldtown—”

Zsinj shuddered. “Surely you’re joking about that name.”

“On Aldivy. It was blasted out of existence by Admiral Trigit when it refused to offer him supplies.”

“You’re sure he didn’t destroy it because of that name.”

“Since he’s dead, I’ll have trouble asking him. Anyway, one of the real Lara Notsil’s siblings, from New Oldtown—”

“Don’t ever say that name again. It annoys me.”

“—returned home after spending months at a naval job under an assumed name. He was supposed to be serving time in a jail in his hometown-whose-name-is-nevermore-to-be-said.”

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Skipped ahead to Wraith Squadron and enjoyed it immensely, and am in the process of devouring the next book

:allears:

Those books are so good.