Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Online echo chambers where they egg each other on. That's 99% of it.

Ok so when does SA get their own plates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

teen witch posted:

Ok so when does SA get their own plates

New batch just dropped.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I am a citizen of the internet.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really don't get the sovcit guys. A lot of them seem to be, at least, somewhat well spoken. They have this insane set of laws in their own head that they have down to the T that do not match with reality, but they are convinced they are correct despite time after time of them getting hosed.

Like, don't they realize that even if they are 100% correct, the cops can still gently caress you up? This one weird trick will not stop you from getting hit in the jaw with a baton if you piss of the cop, which is pretty easy.

I'm not expecting an answer of course.

Sovcits are the perfect example of what you get when your personal idea of how you think the world should work meets actual reality. The worst part is that even when they do end up in those compilation of sovcits getting owned online, they just double down on the stupidity thinking it would surely work the next time, instead of taking it as a lesson that real life and what you get exposed to in online echo chambers, are two different things entirely. About all you can say is that most of them are just harmless nuts that bought into the belief, save for a few real extremists.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I greet you in the ancient language of my people: "Pak chooie unf!"

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I really don't get the sovcit guys. A lot of them seem to be, at least, somewhat well spoken. They have this insane set of laws in their own head that they have down to the T that do not match with reality, but they are convinced they are correct despite time after time of them getting hosed.

Like, don't they realize that even if they are 100% correct, the cops can still gently caress you up? This one weird trick will not stop you from getting hit in the jaw with a baton if you piss of the cop, which is pretty easy.

I'm not expecting an answer of course.

I'm much more sympathetic tbh, like the world is a profoundly hosed up illogical place. It's corrupt and lovely and many things happen that really don't make a lot of sense.

Look at the deference being given to Donald Trump. The guy has like 4 maybe 5 active felony indictments proceeding and he's posting threats on social media and has so far has faced only the barest minimum of consequences. Same thing with Alex Jones, yes he's a billion dollars in debt, in theory, it's looking like he'll get to live in a mansion the rest of his life. Brock Turner raped a girl behind a dumpster, he did 3 months because he's a fast swimmer.

It seems kind of unbelievable how blatantly wealth means you don't face consequences for your actions; it's almost appealing that there is actually some complex secret system underlying the world, if [[[those people]]] were actually running things in a secret cabal, that would almost be preferable to the situation that is occurring now, where greedy rich people are lighting the world on fire to make more money, even knowing that their children are going to inherit literal ashes.

Also if you don't understand the basis of English common law and how that plays out or things like how US GAAP works they seem like magic mumbo jumbo bullshit. If you do know how they work then you just know they are mumbo jumbo bullshit.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

fish and chips and dip posted:

Very tame compared to the other poo poo in this thread, but that's a "let's go Brandon" bumper sticker on an electric Toyota van in Oslo, Norway.
I'd like to think this van just belongs to an elderly man named Brandon who's very offline.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Grey Cat posted:

New batch just dropped.

I didn't know you had access to Elon Musk's plates.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
wearing a large fuzzy hat and telling the cops I am traveling without moving

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

wearing a large fuzzy hat and telling the cops I am traveling without moving

Interdimensional Bootsy Collins

honestly that’s redundant

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Frank Frank posted:

Online echo chambers where they egg each other on. That's 99% of it.

That poo poo predates widespread use of the Internet.

They don't want to pay taxes / child support, and some guru grifter sells them the hidden knowledge of magic incantations so they don't have to part with their money or take responsibility for their actions. The initial contact may be via the Internet nowadays, but the structure is a very analogue grift.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

There's a lot to make fun of when it comes to SovCits, but I think my favorites are the non-Americans who cite the UCC, the Uniform Commerce Code, as a legal foundation for their beliefs.

First, it's only relevant to the US (though other countries may have something similar, but they're quoting American UCC references because that's what their online gurus spout), and, second, there's not even the possibility of any extraterritorial power from the UCC because it's not Federal law, but rather fifty state laws that reconcile to each other so that businesses don't have to do completely different things in every regard when they cross a state line.

What I'm saying is that there's a SovCit insanity gap and the US is falling behind. Canada has made significant strides in this area (like their frequent reference to the "First Amendment," which in Canada essentially established Manitoba as a province, as I understand it).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Admiralty Flag posted:

There's a lot to make fun of when it comes to SovCits, but I think my favorites are the non-Americans who cite the UCC, the Uniform Commerce Code, as a legal foundation for their beliefs.

First, it's only relevant to the US (though other countries may have something similar, but they're quoting American UCC references because that's what their online gurus spout), and, second, there's not even the possibility of any extraterritorial power from the UCC because it's not Federal law, but rather fifty state laws that reconcile to each other so that businesses don't have to do completely different things in every regard when they cross a state line.

What I'm saying is that there's a SovCit insanity gap and the US is falling behind. Canada has made significant strides in this area (like their frequent reference to the "First Amendment," which in Canada essentially established Manitoba as a province, as I understand it).

Username/post combo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

McSpanky posted:

Username/post combo

:lol:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

pseudanonymous posted:

There were sort of hilarious protests over a house being repossessed in Portland and part of the justification was the owner was a sov cit so didn’t pay his mortgage. Though I think his claim was that he was native not Moroccan and thus not liable.

It was an interesting Covid saga.

Native sovcit movements would be an interesting idea, especially since there's a lot of real broken treaties that you could have an interesting legal battles over. But having a legitimate grievance would get in the way of being a lunatic.

Closest I could find is this guy, James Akahi, who proclaimed himself King of Hawaii. The site doesn't seem to have many updates after his failed occupation of the former Hawaiian royal palace in 2008, but it does proclaim his right to issue license plates.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Isn’t the whole “UCC as the highest law” thing basically born out of a hyper capitalist understanding of human interaction that boils everything, even simple exchanges of greetings between two people, down to the idea of conducting a business transaction?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Here's the thing about sovcits: it's supposed to be a cheat code. Enter the Konami code into the legal system, and hey, presto, you get the life you want.

A lot of people (some of them rich) desperately need to believe that there is a way to step out of the current dystopian system, to say "I'm not part of this", and to get the enormous sums of money they are theoretically owed. It's an escape from current reality. You don't have to pay taxes, you don't have to go to court, you don't have to license your car... you are a sovereign citizen upon the land.

It has nothing to do with logic; it's about emotions. You can be free, just send me the check for $69.69. But not drawn on your imaginary government money.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here's the thing about sovcits: it's supposed to be a cheat code. Enter the Konami code into the legal system, and hey, presto, you get the life you want.

A lot of people (some of them rich) desperately need to believe that there is a way to step out of the current dystopian system, to say "I'm not part of this", and to get the enormous sums of money they are theoretically owed. It's an escape from current reality. You don't have to pay taxes, you don't have to go to court, you don't have to license your car... you are a sovereign citizen upon the land.

It has nothing to do with logic; it's about emotions. You can be free, just send me the check for $69.69. But not drawn on your imaginary government money.

it's also an excuse people with oppositional defiant disorder use to further their own bullshit. like I don't think people enter sovereign citizenship in good faith ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Sometimes the idea is that if you're willing to put up a very long and arduous fight through the legal process, then you can just out-endure everybody else and they'll give up. Maybe you think that by wasting somebody else's time, you're striking a blow against them.

They call it paper terrorism sometimes.

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I gotta admit, tripleclicks.com is not what I expected

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Scratch Monkey posted:

So basically is that some sort of Trumpists MAGAhead lunatic essentially saying that despite being a very loud piece of poo poo they still want abortion rights?

No. The fuckin Fraternal Order of Police came out against that proposition. The thing was intended to torpedo the abortion amendment, but it actually would have impeded all amendments across the board. Anyone who saw themselves benefiting from being able to pass amendments with a 50% threshold was opposed.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It was basically a filibuster on direct democracy.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's also an excuse people with oppositional defiant disorder use to further their own bullshit. like I don't think people enter sovereign citizenship in good faith ever.

I think there's a subset of SovCits who are desperate people who've been screwed over by life in some way (medical bills, lost jobs, whatever) -- though some of them have contributed to this happening through their attitudes/actions -- and in desperation are grabbing at this secret salvation that will get debt collectors off their back/save their house from being taken/make it OK to drive after having their license suspended thanks to their fourth DUI (there are people in this situation who feel they're the victims), etc., stories of misery are a dime a dozen the world round. Et voilŕ, along comes a SovCit guru who has all these testimonials and attestations that their system works to solve the very problem(s) our put-upon heroes are having, and they grab for this salvation like a life preserver. Sadly, our heroes eventually find out the hard way that the solution is a steaming bag of horseshit.

But most of them are just dicks and deserve to have cops breaking their windows at traffic stops because they refuse to give their license for the 20th time.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I read something about Jared Fogle becoming a Sovereign Citizen in prison.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Thats the only way he can legally have sex with minors.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Who the gently caress puts a "loli" sticker on their car?! Why would you advertise being a pedophile, even in jest?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
back in 2004, someone abandoned a travel trailer out off a country road where I live.

Some kids painted "JOHN KERRY'S LOVE SHACK" on it and it took almost three months for the county to finally remove it. Wish I got pics of it it still makes me laugh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Who the gently caress puts a "loli" sticker on their car?! Why would you advertise being a pedophile, even in jest?

The same sort of terminal loser who has an MC Chris 2020 sticker.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Who the gently caress puts a "loli" sticker on their car?!

Pedophiles.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

UwUnabomber posted:

Pedophiles.

You'd think pedophiles with that little sense of self preservation wouldn't last long

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Frank Frank posted:

Moorish nobility sounds like one of those “You too can be a Scottish Lord or Lady” scam commercials

Princess of the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

You'd think pedophiles with that little sense of self preservation wouldn't last long

no see, the pedophiles are everyone else, they're groomers!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The same sort of terminal loser who has an MC Chris 2020 sticker.

Did he do something bad? I like candy, bubblegum, and taffy.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Not really, I don't think. Just wore out his welcome and ran his gimmick into the ground years ago but still has his foot on the gas.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

An anime enthusiast, evidently.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

UwUnabomber posted:

Not really, I don't think. Just wore out his welcome and ran his gimmick into the ground years ago but still has his foot on the gas.

Yeah it's this.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In the middle of that mess, there's one Hatsune Miku thin blue line Punisher skull.

I think the anime community at large that prints those things don't see it as such, which does make things worse. The fact that it's a weeb word means that most of the public at large probably won't know what it means.

Although I did follow up the guy's instagram username, and he definitely relishes in the all-purposes anime degeneracy. He calls it the "weabarge".

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBEO5wzHOku/

There's more stickers on the dashboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.