Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

infernal machines posted:

i don't normally suggest reg hacks, but there actually isn't a better way to do this without enterprise since the GPO that would enforce this doesn't do anything on pro

set the value of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\SilentInstalledAppsEnabled" to 0 and log out/back in

alternatively, install gentoo

thank you. I’ll give it try. the core of the os and browser is fine, but goddamn these tactics make it seem tacky and desperate as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no one in the history of computing has wanted their os to install a random assortment of apps unprompted and in a way that cannot be permanently removed.

that poo poo used to be solely the effects of malware and if it happened you would pay someone money to fix your computer.

microsoft turning that into "a consumer experience" is just flagrant contempt for their users

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

it’s not even good software. if they signed some deals with actual companies for free or discounted useful software, and made that optional, that would be a value add. the gently caress is “clipchamp video editor”?

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

i don't normally suggest reg hacks, but there actually isn't a better way to do this without enterprise since the GPO that would enforce this doesn't do anything on pro

set the value of "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ContentDeliveryManager\SilentInstalledAppsEnabled" to 0 and log out/back in

alternatively, install gentoo

it’s a pre-existing key! they literally have a “stop being a spammy piece of poo poo” switch in their ~professional~ sku of their os

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
yup. and it's only disabled by a gpo in enterprise. if you set "consumer experience" to disabled in pro it does nothing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

enterprise is the new pro and it's gated behind a subscription because microsoft decided that banks and other large corps weren't buying enough software assurance/e5 subs

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

they’ve absolutely given up lol. just getting set up I must have 5 different styles here.

terminal: transparency means actually showing the content and windows beneath but respects light/dark mode in the title bat
task manager and settings: transparency means ignore window content and just show a blurry version of the wallpaper
chredge: well i’ll respect light and dark but gently caress fitting in in literally any other
explorer: ignore all that bullshit we’re just gonna make the title bar and toolbar a different shade of blue, depending on light or dark
regedit and devicemgr: we’re win95 bitch. light all the way

what an absolute disjointed clusterfuck

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
pro: I finally bought a new ms ergo keyboard for work. it’s very good and my wrist doesn’t hurt anymore

con: they keyboard has a key with the little office logo on it. when you hit it, it opens a browser page so that you can buy ms office. there is no way to disable the key without admin privileges, which I don’t have

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

pro: I finally bought a new ms ergo keyboard for work. it’s very good and my wrist doesn’t hurt anymore

con: they keyboard has a key with the little office logo on it. when you hit it, it opens a browser page so that you can buy ms office. there is no way to disable the key without admin privileges, which I don’t have

easy. just buy office :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shitface posted:

easy. just buy office :smug:

that won't stop it

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

that won't stop it

will upgrading to clipchamp video editor essentials for just $11.99 a month stop it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no joke, you used to have to use a tool like autohotkey to capture the raw input because there was literally no way to disable the office key behaviour.

idk if they've changed that since

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Stand up in front of computer and say "Microsoft" to skip the ad for MsOffice

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

no joke, you used to have to use a tool like autohotkey to capture the raw input because there was literally no way to disable the office key behaviour.

idk if they've changed that since

seems op should not have purchased a keyboard that's as spammy and hostile as the os it was intended to be used with

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
according to windows 10 I can’t run windows 11 :qq:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

shitface posted:

seems op should not have purchased a keyboard that's as spammy and hostile as the os it was intended to be used with

it's called synergy

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i thought you had a mac

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

echinopsis posted:

you can use Rufus to janitor the ISO into not checking anything

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

shitface posted:

I’m getting pretty loving tired uninstall clipchamp video editor every time i update windows 11. if you’re going to try and sneak crapware i already uninstalled several times, consider not pinning it to my start menu

you av makes me a little sad the clementine artist doesnt post any more :\

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

graph posted:

you av makes me a little sad the clementine artist doesnt post any more :\

when i saw it I had to have it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there is also a dedicated emoji button. my last ms kb didn’t have either so I didn’t think to check for completely insane poo poo before I bought it

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
unlike the office key, I can imagine a possible set of circumstances where some human somewhere could possibly want an emoji key

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

unlike the office key, I can imagine a possible set of circumstances where some human somewhere could possibly want an emoji key

lmao they so desperately wanted a slice of mobile

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Win +. Opens emoji why a key??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i thought you had a mac

I do have a 2015 mbp but my primary rig is a pc

shitface posted:

you can use Rufus to janitor the ISO into not checking anything

I don’t actually think my pc can’t run windows 11, but I would be curious as to why I “can’t”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

either you don't have a tpm 2.0 chip, or you have a cpu that's older than the 8th gen intel core

there are other requirements, but those are the two most likely culprits. there is a tool you can run that will tell you exactly why, there's a link to it in the windows update area

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

on the subject of windows 11 being terrible: ars notices

quote:

The "out-of-box experience" (OOBE, in Microsoft parlance) for Windows 7 walked users through the process of creating a local user account, naming their computer, entering a product key, creating a "Homegroup" (a since-discontinued local file and media sharing mechanism), and determining how Windows Update worked. Once Windows booted to the desktop, you'd find apps like Internet Explorer and the typical in-box Windows apps (Notepad, Paint, Calculator, Media Player, Wordpad, and a few other things) installed.

Keeping that baseline in mind, here's everything that happens during the OOBE stage in a clean install of Windows 11 22H2 (either Home or Pro) if you don't have active Microsoft 365/OneDrive/Game Pass subscriptions tied to your Microsoft account:
    (Mostly) mandatory Microsoft account sign-in.
    Setup screen asking you about data collection and telemetry settings.
    A (skippable) screen asking you to "customize your experience."
    A prompt to pair your phone with your PC.
    A Microsoft 365 trial offer.
    A 100GB OneDrive offer.
    A $1 introductory PC Game Pass offer.
This process is annoying enough the first time, but at some point down the line, you'll also be offered what Microsoft calls the "second chance out-of-box experience," or SCOOBE (not a joke), which will try to get you to do all of this stuff again if you skipped some of it the first time. This also doesn't account for the numerous one-off post-install notification messages you'll see on the desktop for OneDrive and Microsoft 365. (And it's not just new installs; I have seen these notifications appear on systems that have been running for months even if they're not signed in to a Microsoft account, so no one is safe).

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 21, 2023

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

lollin at subscription solitaire trying to look like sleazy online poker

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

I’m the “Microsoft 365 (Office)”. Great loving branding job there

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

shitface posted:

I’m the “Microsoft 365 (Office)”. Great loving branding job there
lol. like anyone with half a brain could've seen the problem with that renaming, but they went and did it anyway.

brb installing Apple 17 on my phone

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

desktop linux is a better experience than windows at this point, even for running a bunch of windows software. goddamn GNOME is a better experience than windows at this point*. i would have absolutely gone that way for james on generic PC hardware but this is a secondary partition on a 2019 mbp.

imagine an environment worse than linux, gnome and wine, or, don't imagine and just install windows. jesus christ. i am mad about computers and i'd forgotten what that was like

* at least when you de-shittify it with dash to panel, arcmenu and no overview at startup extensions you get a functional, non-Binged menu and panel that stay that way

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

the worst part is if you click where the start button used to be out of muscle memory it will lag for 2 seconds and then display a bunch of ads from bing

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Windows Elev(enshittification)"
this one could have spent a little more time in the oven

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shaggar posted:

the worst part is if you click where the start button used to be out of muscle memory it will lag for 2 seconds and then display a bunch of ads from bing

lmao

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

i'm a big fan of the ~modern menus~ that appear to be some shitbox overlay or interception of the standard menus which a) have half the useful entries missing and b) randomly lag like poo poo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Windows 11 is okay once you've disabled every single new feature microsoft has released for the last decade or so.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

r u ready to WALK posted:

Windows 11 is okay once you've disabled every single new feature microsoft has released for the last decade or so.

that was my first impression, until I installed 22H2 and did the legions updates to the latest, where the silent installs of waves of utter crap kept coming. it's a linux-tier window manager with multiple themes, toolkits and transparency effects on show and endless advertising and attempts to ram content in your face.

i'll stick with the switch for gaming until I finally get out of a year of airbnb next week, get my cute victorian terrace house and go buy a ps5. I can't imagine ever voluntarily using this poo poo again

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mostly its just really stupid and unnecessary. i don't think it really profits anyone. i could without more than slight annoyance use default-settings windows 11 indefinitely, but it is so visible that there's work being expended to make things worse.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i know i should be using hotkeys more but using mouse hover for app switching on my work laptops sucks
and windows+tab is laggy and worse then expose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

shitface posted:

that was my first impression, until I installed 22H2 and did the legions updates to the latest, where the silent installs of waves of utter crap kept coming. it's a linux-tier window manager with multiple themes, toolkits and transparency effects on show and endless advertising and attempts to ram content in your face.

i'll stick with the switch for gaming until I finally get out of a year of airbnb next week, get my cute victorian terrace house and go buy a ps5. I can't imagine ever voluntarily using this poo poo again

why badmouth linux in all this