Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

go play outside Skyler posted:

municipal/public owned housing isn't all that perfect either, in singapore for example it creates a lot of problems that i'm too high to talk about right now. class divide and xenophobia come to mind. also they all look the same

oh yeah there aren't any class divides or xenophobia when it comes to private housing in the west

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

hey guys, check this out:

crapitalism

eh? eh?

watch out we've got a comedian over here

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

rotor posted:

hey guys, check this out:

crapitalism

eh? eh?

crapitaljizzm :smug:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dieting Hippo posted:

crapitaljizzm :smug:

/in extremely German Scheiße Fetish Kraftwerk voice
It's more fun to cum poop

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
The virgin Crapitaljizzm vs the chad Swolecialjizzm.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

okay what the hell did i just read

less gross shitcum and more zuck punching musk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Achmed Jones posted:

i was trying to buy something from musicians friend today and neither firefox nor chrome could log in. didn't even work when i turned off adblocking. i haven't seen a real honest to goodness commercial website be messed up like that for a long time.

should be buying from sweetwater, yeah

e: efb

graph fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 21, 2023

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Anyone opposed to land ownership should be in favor of condos. It's literally community ownership of land with a carve out for your personal space.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Mero Mero posted:

Anyone opposed to land ownership should be in favor of condos. It's literally community ownership of land with a carve out for your personal space.

or co-ops, which are buildings owned by an entity which is itself owned by the residents of the component apartments

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

or co-ops, which are buildings owned by an entity which is itself owned by the residents of the component apartments

we used to have a special kind of government subsidized mortgage just for co-ops. we built a bunch of co-ops, and then the 90s happened and the government got rid of it and we stopped building co-ops

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
if the co-op owners rent out their apartments to other people (which is common) then there's absolutely no social benefit to the co-op and the landlords get plausible deniability when they fail to do maintenance or whatever by blaming all the other petit landlords

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Internet Janitor posted:

if the co-op owners rent out their apartments to other people (which is common) then there's absolutely no social benefit to the co-op and the landlords get plausible deniability when they fail to do maintenance or whatever by blaming all the other petit landlords

most sane co-ops ban or heavily restrict the ability to rent to time-limited situations (my job is sending me to another city/country for a year, etc)

some municipalities condition special property tax breaks for co-ops on a certain level of owner-occupancy, DC does this i think

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 21, 2023

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
would have to check but IIRC my co-op requires board approval for sublets and outright bans airbnb

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

If you ever want to see rigorous enforcement of "culture fit", try being a potential buyer enduring a co-op board interview. Condos have all the same plusses of resident ownership/control of the building, but don't usually try and pretend that it's anything but a corporate entity handling upkeep of the commons.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

bubble adjacent; saw this was on the Kindle Daily today (in the UK, may also be in other countries), seems to be a good read from the reviews

Chip War: The Fight for the World's Most Critical Technology

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chip-War-Worlds-Critical-Technology-ebook/dp/B09RX4SD88/

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I had a dream where there were like 5 zuckerbergs in my kitchen and they were all his body doubles but you could tell the difference because they all had different styles of trousers on

I don't know what the gently caress that means

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

"Imagine five zuckerbergs on the edge of a cliff" We can dream I guess

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

some municipalities condition special property tax breaks for co-ops on a certain level of owner-occupancy, DC does this i think

FHA loans require >50% owner occupied iirc

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

most sane co-ops ban or heavily restrict the ability to rent to time-limited situations (my job is sending me to another city/country for a year, etc)

yea danish law says you can only rent out for 2 years & then you have to move back or sell, also my co-op has max rent and restrictions on short term rentals in our own bylaws on top

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

infernal machines posted:

we used to have a special kind of government subsidized mortgage just for co-ops. we built a bunch of co-ops, and then the 90s happened and the government got rid of it and we stopped building co-ops

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I had a dream where there were like 5 zuckerbergs in my kitchen and they were all his body doubles but you could tell the difference because they all had different styles of trousers on

I don't know what the gently caress that means

Legs are coming to the metaverse

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

leper khan posted:

Legs are coming to the metaverse

but only for zuck, no one else

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

kinda interesting that there are a bunch of "practical implications of homeownership"-type discussions all across the forums. even cspam has a thread for that. i guess the people who post here are getting older and more established.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
oh yeah

SA is old as gently caress

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glorgnole posted:

kinda interesting that there are a bunch of "practical implications of homeownership"-type discussions all across the forums. even cspam has a thread for that. i guess the people who post here are getting older and more established.
yeah it shows that goons must be retirement age now if they're able to own homes

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

yeah it shows that goons must be retirement age now if they're able to own homes

except in yospos, where we're all millionaire bodybuilders

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

that's actually BYOB: build your own body

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm strictly a body degrowth advocate

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
your osteogenesized skeleton is a piece of poo poo

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Glorgnole posted:

it's cause this thread is 90% tech workers, the only strata of workers left where homeownership is more than a fantasy

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

to jonny's earlier comment: yeah real estate in nyc is batshit psychopath land and wildly expensive

we hope to score medium sized place sooner or later, but the time to strike for people who were ready was during covid

imagine moving during lockdown covid so you can actually find/afford a nice place cause people freaked out

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

like i make enough money to subsidize every aspect of my life i am lazy about but i gotta strive to make more because a 1000sq ft place will be a mil brand new (and of terrible construction)

i am clearly looking at cheaper/older/coop offerings

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if my partner and I get married we're intending to maintain our current apartments because they're both rent controlled and just getting a decent place we could both live in would be at least $1500/month more than we're paying total now, if not 2 grand. the dream is to buy a duplex so we can continue to have our own space and they're price competitive or even cheaper with single family houses here

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i actually went from lease to month-to-month starting October 2019, because I was gearing up to relocate my fat rear end to the PNW with an approximate six month clock

and then roni hit and all those dreams disappeared.

I heard that one of the most onerous things was finding movers during that poo poo. You were lucky if you could get a booking eight months out to huck all your poo poo from old place to new. Probably was faster to just scrap everything and buy fresh.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the people i know who did it just like rented/borrowed a car and did it mostly themselves

i envy them they got very VERY good deals at the risk of dying tho

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we failed to refinance at the peak of covid and the trough of interest rates because I lost my job at exactly the wrong moment and I'll probably regret that forever

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Jonny 290 posted:

i actually went from lease to month-to-month starting October 2019, because I was gearing up to relocate my fat rear end to the PNW with an approximate six month clock

and then roni hit and all those dreams disappeared.

I heard that one of the most onerous things was finding movers during that poo poo. You were lucky if you could get a booking eight months out to huck all your poo poo from old place to new. Probably was faster to just scrap everything and buy fresh.

i moved in 2019 and 2020, and when i requested a quote in 2020 it was four times what id paid fourteen months earlier, for the same quantity of stuff

so i sold a lot of furniture to the new owner of my old place and rented a van for two days

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

we failed to refinance at the peak of covid and the trough of interest rates because I lost my job at exactly the wrong moment and I'll probably regret that forever

it is not a coincidence that those things happened at the same time. which is not much help, but you're far from alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!

aardvaard posted:

it's cause this thread is 90% tech workers, the only strata of workers left where homeownership is more than a fantasy

Which goes back to the TechBubble stuff of hundreds of code boot camps, getting kids to learn to code, and push for visas that heavily favor the employer. All to drive down wages of tech workers and forcefully extract all the value out of one of the last remaining middle class and upper middle class jobs.

Edit:

Share Bear posted:

the people i know who did it just like rented/borrowed a car and did it mostly themselves

i envy them they got very VERY good deals at the risk of dying tho

A couple we are family friends with were able to get the house they wanted for the size of family they wanted only because they bought right after Covid hit when interest rates were lowest, the economy was dumpstering, and people were selling homes for cheaper than they had been in years. They took an insane risk. As you said, you might die but also they were incredibly lucky to not get laid off. The department the husband was in got laid off to the point where it was just him and the wife probably would have been but was out on maternity leave and probably got accidentally skipped over.

Pulcinella fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 21, 2023