Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah, it was really obvious what they were doing when they exclusively promoted lovely javascript lern2code boot camps in underprivileged areas. A torrent of desperate candidates willing to work for basically minimum wage is great for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

i actually went from lease to month-to-month starting October 2019, because I was gearing up to relocate my fat rear end to the PNW with an approximate six month clock

and then roni hit and all those dreams disappeared.

I heard that one of the most onerous things was finding movers during that poo poo. You were lucky if you could get a booking eight months out to huck all your poo poo from old place to new. Probably was faster to just scrap everything and buy fresh.

my old neighbour and his partner were really down on the luck and barely getting by and he won $15k on some kind of mini lottery and bought a moving truck and this was not long after the earthquakes decimated this town and he fuckkn made bank, ended up moving out of town onto a HUGE (acres and acres) section that even had an abandonded chicken tunnel that felt about half a km long

anyway moving is the worst job in the world. he helped me when I moved out of my exes and all he asked in return was for me to take him out for a meal and a drink.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, it was really obvious what they were doing when they exclusively promoted lovely javascript lern2code boot camps in underprivileged areas. A torrent of desperate candidates willing to work for basically minimum wage is great for them.

the coding underclass

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

echinopsis posted:

an abandonded chicken tunnel

an abandoned what

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

As a boot camp graduate myself, there were basically three types of folks in my class...

1) College grads with non-CS degrees, looking to re-skill.

2) Folks with no degree but a mild-to-strong grasp of computers/programming.

3) Folks with no degree and a weak grasp of computers/programming.

Our program was particularly good, with six months of 40-hour/week training and multiple major projects to complete (and thus have on our Github for employers to review). A few years out now, there have been basically three tracks we've fallen into...

A) Working as actual devs (or SREs), making the deece figgies.

B) Working in solution engineering/b2b "customer success"/other non-dev-but-technical roles, making acceptable figgies.

C) Never got a tech job and doing blue collar work, now saddled with a five-figure loan they took out for the course (done through the boot camp's private loan partner, so not an actual student loan that qualified for any of the recent deferments).

Folks from group 1 and 2 ended up with outcomes A and B (with more 2s as As and more 1s and Bs, surprisingly). Basically everyone from group 3 ended up with outcome C, though. As much as the boot camp touted their screening process and how they would only take students who were totally ready, it was clear that they let in a few people who clearly weren't really just to make their numbers.

It's hard to say that it was completely predatory, though. I'm definitely in a much better career now because I went there. A buddy of mine was literally homeless when he went there but 6 years later makes a good enough living that he owns his own home and supports his stay-at-home spouse and their kid.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

an abandoned what

oh like a big structure for hen farming

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

so not like a secret tunnel for chickens to use to get to work like the stonecutters have

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was thinking like the alameda-weehawken burrito tunnel but for tenders

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
think bigger, friend. whole roast chickens shot at relativistic speeds

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

anyway moving is the worst job in the world.

i helped my best friend move when he and his wife bought their first house. we rented a van and spent two days going back and forth and we were both physically wrecked afterwards. they moved again in 2021, except now they were moving out of a bigger house and had three kids so there was 5x as much stuff. i was prepared to help again, but they ended up hiring a moving company who did the entire job in one morning and then went off to do another in the afternoon. it would have taken us a week and probably crippled both of us.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Compromise: Whole raw chickens shot at just over the speed of sound, arriving fully-cooked via atmospheric friction.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if the airplanes survive that, they'll survive anything

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

haveblue posted:

I was thinking like the alameda-weehawken burrito tunnel
thats good thinking

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sweevo posted:

i helped my best friend move when he and his wife bought their first house. we rented a van and spent two days going back and forth and we were both physically wrecked afterwards. they moved again in 2021, except now they were moving out of a bigger house and had three kids so there was 5x as much stuff. i was prepared to help again, but they ended up hiring a moving company who did the entire job in one morning and then went off to do another in the afternoon. it would have taken us a week and probably crippled both of us.

ugh yeah. they might not be cheap but if you can afford it you’re saving yourself a lifetime of remorse

never mind if something gets damaged it’s covered

moving beds uostairs and then around corners?? pivoting?? gently caress that noise

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

echinopsis posted:

anyway moving is the worst job in the world. he helped me when I moved out of my exes and all he asked in return was for me to take him out for a meal and a drink.

That is a good dude; I hope you bought him more than that.

Moving blows.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

echinopsis posted:

ugh yeah. they might not be cheap but if you can afford it you’re saving yourself a lifetime of remorse

never mind if something gets damaged it’s covered

moving beds uostairs and then around corners?? pivoting?? gently caress that noise

beds are easy because they come apart.

sofas are the devil.

their old house still has a scratch on the front door frame where we had to move a 300kg double recliner thought it.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

i think it’s unethical to ask your friends/family to help you move if you can afford movers

in no other circumstance is demanding backbreaking physical labor with only pizza and beer as payment accepted, stop that poo poo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive used movers the last three times I’ve moved and it’s worth every god drat penny

still stressful as poo poo and loving sucks though (the packing)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sweevo posted:

sofas are the devil.

i'm replacing my Ikea L sectional next week because i have a friend visiting and the cushions are blown out and i wanted a new couch anyways, and i have this exploding sense of dread centered around getting rid of this stinky huge hunk of poo poo already

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm replacing my Ikea L sectional next week because i have a friend visiting and the cushions are blown out and i wanted a new couch anyways, and i have this exploding sense of dread centered around getting rid of this stinky huge hunk of poo poo already

option a: invite a literal crazy person to your place from craigslist/fb marketplace to take it

option b: chop it into tiny pieces and filter it out in your trash bit by bit like a shameful secret or a body you need to quietly dispose of

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

well-read undead posted:

option a: invite a literal crazy person to your place from craigslist/fb marketplace to take it

option b: chop it into tiny pieces and filter it out in your trash bit by bit like a shameful secret or a body you need to quietly dispose of

option c: fire

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
last time i moved we were moving across country and uhaul decided reservations mean jack and poo poo and didnt have the right size, (or any size other than "comically small") and i spent 3 hours driving all over town and calling uhauls trying to get what i loving reserved months in advance, the day before said cross country move. eventually we got one that was like the next size down and we had to surprise downsize and got rid of like half our poo poo, including our dining room and living room, and my office desk (been working from home for years so it was large), in the span of a few hours.

what a nightmare that was, ill never use uhaul again (i already didnt like them)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
actually i hate that reservations mean jack poo poo these days, company can just tell you to go gently caress yourself on a whim but lol if you try and cancel a reservation 48 hours in advance

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

well-read undead posted:

there are five residences on our little weird block here and we share a 3 cubic meter dumpster

which looks like this

and somehow three of the residents manage to buy entirely new living rooms every week and fill this motherfucker up fifteen minutes after it's emptied with old couches and TVs (somebody threw out a 40" 720p that only had vga and dvi in last week, wow) over and over again. How much furniture are you assholes buying

like ive had to seriously race and beat them to the punch because my overflow trash can has a bag of kitchen trash with rotting chicken bones in it cause you threw an entire bed into it last week and i couldnt take out my trash

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tragedy of the commons

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

tragedy of the commons

my bedroom suburb of denver (Lakewood) has about 200k people and we have 52 trash companies. it's insane

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
texas power company shopping dynamics, but for rotting chicken bones and litter box scoops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
pickup here is managed by the city. they contracted it out to a third party years ago, but at least it's reliable and consistent and doesn't rely on whoever the landlord picks

this is curbside though, if you have a dumpster like that i'm pretty sure you still have to contract directly, but there's only a couple companies that service downtown afaik

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
trash of the titans is one of my favorite simpsons episodes

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sounds like one of the neighbors has taken advantage of the dumpster capacity with a side hustle of taking away people's furniture

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

and somehow three of the residents manage to buy entirely new living rooms every week and fill this motherfucker up fifteen minutes after it's emptied with old couches and TVs (somebody threw out a 40" 720p that only had vga and dvi in last week, wow) over and over again. How much furniture are you assholes buying

could it just be randos pulling up and dumping their poo poo in the dumpster for free?

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

there are five residences on our little weird block here and we share a 3 cubic meter dumpster

which looks like this

like ive had to seriously race and beat them to the punch because my overflow trash can has a bag of kitchen trash with rotting chicken bones in it cause you threw an entire bed into it last week and i couldnt take out my trash

my old apartment locked these bins in the "one half lid closed, the other half lid propped open one foot" position so people couldn't fill it with furniture.

they also had a very nosy person living in the unit with the balcony overhanging the garbage area.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Mr. Crow posted:

last time i moved we were moving across country and uhaul decided reservations mean jack and poo poo and didnt have the right size, (or any size other than "comically small") and i spent 3 hours driving all over town and calling uhauls trying to get what i loving reserved months in advance, the day before said cross country move. eventually we got one that was like the next size down and we had to surprise downsize and got rid of like half our poo poo, including our dining room and living room, and my office desk (been working from home for years so it was large), in the span of a few hours.

what a nightmare that was, ill never use uhaul again (i already didnt like them)

lol they're an oligopoly so good luck. Which leads to

Mr. Crow posted:

actually i hate that reservations mean jack poo poo these days, company can just tell you to go gently caress yourself on a whim but lol if you try and cancel a reservation 48 hours in advance

Anything from moving trucks to airplane tickets to healthcare, you have to accept their terms or else, but their side of the deal is entirely fluid and subject to change beyond the last minute with no recourse.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
that's just the efficiency of capitalism :dealwithit:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Eeyo posted:

could it just be randos pulling up and dumping their poo poo in the dumpster for free?

Naw, i got dvr poo poo its neighbors

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

saw it up, put it in the bathtub, and dissolve it with powerful chemicals. drain it down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

other than the smell it works great for unwanted furniture and political dissidents

make sure you wear protective gloves

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fisting by many posted:

my old apartment locked these bins in the "one half lid closed, the other half lid propped open one foot" position so people couldn't fill it with furniture.

they also had a very nosy person living in the unit with the balcony overhanging the garbage area.

the friendly neighborhood branch of the communist party organizes trash services and waste pickup and It Just Works. i can bring whatever furniture or large crap down there and just place it in the designated zones and theyll handle it from there, and the dumpsters just downstairs are separated into metal, glass, paper, batteries, lightbulbs, or refuse

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

the friendly neighborhood branch of the communist party organizes trash services and waste pickup and It Just Works. i can bring whatever furniture or large crap down there and just place it in the designated zones and theyll handle it from there, and the dumpsters just downstairs are separated into metal, glass, paper, batteries, lightbulbs, or refuse
that sounds like communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they have a food waste bin too but for some reason they only open it from like 5pm to 8pm every night and they have two ladies wearing red volunteer jackets who make sure you arent throwing any plastic bags or whatever in there and they ask your apartment number and write it down every time (idk why they do that part)