Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's what you should install, not macos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there is a decent argument to be made that if you're going to spend an hour loving around with settings to make it not suck, you might as well do it with linux because at least it's not intentionally user hostile

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

why badmouth linux in all this

I'm sorry, but your favorite operating system is a piece of poo poo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
kde works decently well as a windows desktop workalike but i wouldn't say linux runs windows applications worth a drat at all. even electron garbage seems to just display a blank window a lot of the time.

valve hired about 50 really good devs to work on the exact parts of windows emulation and the linux gpu stack that matter for video games but everything else about wine sucks as hard as it always has. even things like the open file / save file dialogs are unusably bad. the cmd.exe implementation runs batch files just fine but interactively it straight up exits if you hit Ctrl+C and inserts a tab if you press tab.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

electron has improved the situation on linux a lot for work though, a lot of stuff does have a linux port thanks to it.

to me it only adds to the appreciation that the kind of person really into linux (being really into not only software but the most formulaic of softwares a huge red flag) hates that that is how things are working out. much the same wihh proton, get the hated win32 running and suddenly the pos is fun and useful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

wsl too for recent ms stuff that's actually good: peak convenient linux for the masses, shithead nerds upset, all the best of stuff

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i played around with pop_os and proton last year just to see what the state of the art was. stuff like cyberpunk 2077 and control worked quite well, with RTX features enable even. the biggest issue was linux just not supporting hdr at all

idk if i'd rather use the office web apps, or office in wine, but neither is ideal exactly

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

infernal machines posted:

on the subject of windows 11 being terrible: ars notices

:lol:

I knew Win 11 was chock full of ads and spyware but I didn't think it was quite this bad. With all the "A.I integrated system" horseshit in Win 12's marketing, that system is likely to be even worse.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

it looks like an elderly relatives adware-riddled XP

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

way back when I worked on windows software I sat in on a few meetings with big pc oems about bundling and let me tell you what the end user experience is like is not a high proirity

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
look I get that we’re all mad about windows but let’s not lose our heads and recommend linux

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

It's time for lindows to come back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSdRTOh2jeA

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

these guy wish "Bill" cared about them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol i remember lindows.. there were a few distros that really wanted to be windows for some reason.. lycoris was another one

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Last Chance posted:

lol i remember lindows.. there were a few distros that really wanted to be windows for some reason.. lycoris was another one

I remember a lot of linux desktop screenshots with a fake aqua theme and dock.

holy poo poo the buttons are different

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot for what it is is the dog poo poo font rendering

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Last Chance posted:

why is this so wordy

pictures and photos

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

why is this so wordy

pictures and photos

why are there any categories other than "games and puzzles?"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

akadajet posted:

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot for what it is is the dog poo poo font rendering

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot is thinking having lots of windows open is still considered impressive

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

also having four different desktop pages for some reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i thought it was glteapot

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a lot to unpack here

mystes
May 31, 2006

there's a lot to unpack here
this didn't seem that weird to me (there were lots of themes ripping off windows xp at the time) until I realized how recent it was

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Last Chance posted:

Linux Nerds Cargo culting Windows' dogshit ui decisions will never not be funny

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

im the “rescan hardware” quick task

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

either you don't have a tpm 2.0 chip, or you have a cpu that's older than the 8th gen intel core

there are other requirements, but those are the two most likely culprits. there is a tool you can run that will tell you exactly why, there's a link to it in the windows update area

hmm turns out it was turned off in bios so I turned it on and now flying colours

is there a compelling reason to upgrade other than they've moved poo poo around

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

none whatsoever unless you have an 11th gen or later intel cpu

it is a worse experience than windows 10 in every regard

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's a little more visually cohesive, but the redesign looks like a lovely gnome theme and everything requires an additional click or two to get to

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm yeah reading that article and I think so

i've got a ryzen 9 5900 which seems sufficent for browsing the web but spose isn't so brand new some bullshit needs to be unlocked

things I hate doing on windows : logging in

sounds like that gets harder and harder (to remove logging in) every single version :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
updates, logging in, checking emails

its all bullshit imo. throw free your shackles

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
computers are meant to make our lives easier and better but I don't remember having to enter a password to use my microwave or my table refuses to accept dinner plates until an update is finished

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you have only one account and no password it will still just login automatically

alternatively you can use autologin from sysinternals

echinopsis posted:

i've got a ryzen 9 5900 which seems sufficent for browsing the web but spose isn't so brand new some bullshit needs to be unlocked

nope. the only weird poo poo amd is doing is with the latest gen 3d cache cpus, and even for that they've just released processor drivers for windows 10/11 it's not like intel's thread director stuff, which is only in windows 11

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hoping ms is just getting all the Bad Windows out with 11 so they can have a Good Windows after this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

windows 11 fixed my persistent audio stuttering caused by dpc latency issues. thats the best thing i can say about it.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hoping ms is just getting all the Bad Windows out with 11 so they can have a Good Windows after this

lol

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
getting chased out of richmond for preaching my revolutionary "only release the Good Windows" gospel

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
redmond, lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

the new hit windows gospel song "eggheads south of redmond"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
those rich mans in redmond

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

there is no good windows, only less-bad windows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sweevo posted:

the thing that really reveals a linux screenshot is thinking having lots of windows open is still considered impressive

peak linux is never coming back and it's a tragedy :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE