Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
look out here comes my compiz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

r u ready to WALK posted:

peak linux is never coming back and it's a tragedy :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

i'm the constant glitching and artifacting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

peak linux is never coming back and it's a tragedy :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QokOwvPxrE

lol

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
compiz, my lord

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I loved that compiz/beryl stuff, it was trashy and glitchy as poo poo but i didn’t care

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Microsoft should bring back PLUS! themes.

Garfield and Windows 11, Baseball themes where when you launch an app you hear the crack of the bat and the crowd going wild, and of course update the Inside Your Computer theme.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's 2023, fun in software has been illegal for the better part of a decade already

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fun and joy in computers died with steve.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i think the little sounds that airpods play for "you're now in transparency mode" "you're now in noise cancelling mode" are very fun...

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like those compiz effects actually made people less interested in using a compositor for a long time after that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

i think the little sounds that airpods play for "you're now in transparency mode" "you're now in noise cancelling mode" are very fun...

some sound design does still have whimsy to it yeah, robot vacuum cleaners and washing machines having little tunes also fun and good.

i paid a lot extra for my rice cooker to have it covered in kanji and playing snippets of extremely beep-boopy music when finished cooking. 100% worth it, love the thing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

some sound design does still have whimsy to it yeah, robot vacuum cleaners and washing machines having little tunes also fun and good.

i paid a lot extra for my rice cooker to have it covered in kanji and playing snippets of extremely beep-boopy music when finished cooking. 100% worth it, love the thing.

the zojirushi "rice is ready" song has caused full on pavlovian conditioning in me

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

my new vaccuum sings after you put it back in the charger :3:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

big news for those of us in the financial industry: official support for python in excel!

qirex fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 22, 2023

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Aw yiss

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the incredibly expensive software I work on considers excel our primary competitor and in some cases we are straight up cheaper than running a jenga tower of giant excel vms which can easily exceed a mil/month

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

qirex posted:

we are straight up cheaper than running a jenga tower of giant excel vms which can easily exceed a mil/month

lol :pwn:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol that is the org I came into... "why speed this up, we can just get bigger VMs" (until we run the largest one Azure has)

really really fast SSDs, that will speed up your excel calculations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

big news for those of us in the financial industry: official support for python in excel!
I'm actually surprised at how well integrated it looks like this is from the screenshots because excel already has VBA, javascript, COM add-ins, DLL extensions, and deprecated Excel 4.0 macros, and I don't think any of them allow you to just write code in the formula bar in a clean way like this

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

wait what version is it

mystes
May 31, 2006

quote:

While in Preview, Python in Excel will be included with your Microsoft 365 subscription. After the Preview, some functionality will be restricted without a paid license. More details will be available before General Availability.
Oh lol it's eventually going to be a separate license (at least for some functionality)?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

mystes posted:

Oh lol it's eventually going to be a separate license (at least for some functionality)?

they're running everything in ~the cloud~, of course it's going to cost more

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

qirex posted:

you mean no more VB?

Aww yiss

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

think of all the exciting new malware.py use cases

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

they're running everything in ~the cloud~, of course it's going to cost more
Oh I missed that; that's really lame

mystes
May 31, 2006

it feels pretty weird that they already have the ability to run excel javascript scripts in the cloud through power automate and now they're adding completely separate cloud scripting functionality too

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

think of all the exciting new malware.py use cases

Looking forward to my spreadsheet code's dependencies being randomly deprecated in the MS runtime environment and everything breaking

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
sure, but also that screenshot is VBA macro malware

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

my workplace disabled macros sitewide because it was completely impossible to keep on top of all the social engineering attempts coming in through email, and it was decided to be the lesser evil. If someone has a desperate need to run macros they have to figure out how to sign their documents and get their macro
signature allowed.

my favorite macro malware has to be this one

r u ready to WALK fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 22, 2023

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

these are good haha

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I can’t help but think a language with significant whitespace and the spreadsheet app that is to this day showing me new ways it can mangle formatting are not an idea pairing

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

i love the idea of writing python in this tiny three line-at-a-time field

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
.agg('peanuts')

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pinterest Mom posted:

that looks like a challenge

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pinterest Mom posted:

spend less on bikes

mystes
May 31, 2006

someone who is good at Pandas please help me budget this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
did someone say pandas

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

did someone say pandas

don't make me get out the water spray bottle

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Hed posted:

Microsoft should bring back PLUS! themes.

Garfield and Windows 11, Baseball themes where when you launch an app you hear the crack of the bat and the crowd going wild, and of course update the Inside Your Computer theme.

Mega Man Effect.app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pinterest Mom posted:

it's been over 100 years and the only options for handling tabs (worksheets) are a ridiculously narrow tab bar that steals from your horizontal scrollbar, and a model dialog.