Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

A huge point of consternation for all 12 people who played Alpha Protocol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

A huge point of consternation for all 12 people who played Alpha Protocol.

I’m choosing “aggressive response” and in 3 seconds I’m going to watch myself say something insane

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I liked Alpha Protocol, though I did only play it once. I should try it again some time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's crazy how active the thread has been in the last few days, almost entirely due to BG3. The demand for this "classic Bioware" style of RPGs is still there, and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Bioware are just not capitalizing on it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Bethesda also discovered that people will pay 5-10% of the list price for incidental cosmetics and in-game items and did you know Horse Armor is still Bethesda’s most profitable piece of software?

That’s the frustrating thing about certain publishers and devs: rather than leaning into the interesting fringe, they cleave relentlessly to the middle. It’s ironic that one of the really lively mod scenes for Skyrim is all about introducing more complexity to the game.

Capitalism is also at fault. When game execs can calculate that they're likely to make a lot more money catering to a smaller section of whales instead of "normal" fans/customers/players, this creates perverse incentives that make everything worse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Torrannor posted:

It's crazy how active the thread has been in the last few days, almost entirely due to BG3. The demand for this "classic Bioware" style of RPGs is still there, and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that Bioware are just not capitalizing on it.

Why can’t you? The fate of Bioware is no great secret. The hell sprint of development between Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 hemorrhaged a ton of their talent and they’ve lost even more since. They are, for all intents and purposes, a completely different dev studio that gets to call itself Bioware.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's going to be devastating when Bioware finally churns out DA:4 and it's a mess

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly if DA4 is playable it would be a success already considering how low expectations are for it.

And it's pretty much a given that everyone will be nitpicking it to death in the first two weeks anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

DA4 will probably get rebooted again to "return to its roots" after the success of BG3, then rebooted once more in 2026 when the Base Wars (1991) remaster causes Bioware to seriously consider implementing combat sports in their dark fantasy RPG.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Torrannor posted:

This comes up in the thread about every six months, and the answer is always the same. Bioware wasn't content making mid-range, successful titles with a devoted fanbase. They, like every other studio in the early to mid twenty-teens, wanted to do CoD numbers. If you weren't moving tens of millions of units, then you were failing.

Bioware, as it exists today, can't go backward and start making good games again. By all accounts, they're a dysfunctional hallowed out husk of a studio.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Part of me wonder if it's a Western game company culture. Like the big Japanese game companies like Square-Enix and Cygames and Nintendo are perfectly happy to trout out a few mid-performing games or gachas that aren't expected to last forever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I mean, it's corporate culture, in general. Resulting from the incentives of capitalism.

Some Japanese companies manage to get by, just like some western companies, but they also have stuff like Konami burning their IP to the ground to go all in on pachinko machines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The downfall of Bioware started more or less because EA thought they could use them like the Madden of RPGs and trot out a AAA sequel every 22 months. That led to a ton of burnout and a talent exodus, which further led to Bioware stumbling from DA2 onwards, which led to massively decreased output as leadership changed hands and became less confident in themselves.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
EA isn't Bioware problem. DA2 was their own decision for one. It's the "bioware magic". As a company they've always had poo poo project management that they've compensated for with a fuckton of crunch. And it was only a matter of time before it stopped working for them.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Aug 22, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I don't think we know enough about what went on behind closed doors to assign the correct amounts of blame, but I feel pretty comfortable saying that both EA and Bioware hosed up badly in their own ways.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

EA grossly mismanaged Bioware, Bioware consistently exercised poor judgment in response. Neither statement is particularly controversial, I think.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

A wonderful story of Everybody Sucks. Maybe in ten-to-fifteen years, when the next nostalgia wave hits, and the IPs are scattered to the winds we'll get another decent DA or ME game.

Cause hey, it worked for Baldur's Gate!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

EA grossly mismanaged Bioware, Bioware consistently exercised poor judgment in response. Neither statement is particularly controversial, I think.

From what I remember of the Schreier article, it really didn't seem like EA managed Bioware at all. They let them do their own thing with shockingly little oversight and Bioware hosed everything up by themselves. From what I recall, EA didn't even tell them to use Frostbite. Bioware just assumed they had to on their own.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That was for Anthem. By that point EA had already run Bioware into the ground by churning through their experienced staff with two-year development timelines for DA2 and ME3. Bioware made plenty of mistakes on their own, no doubt.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

That was for Anthem. By that point EA had already run Bioware into the ground by churning through their experienced staff with two-year development timelines for DA2 and ME3. Bioware made plenty of mistakes on their own, no doubt.
They made the same decision for Inquisition.
The deadline for DA2 was, according to the people involved, Bioware's own decision. EA was hands-off with Bioware. What likely influenced things was the development of the Old Republic MMO and how that was turning into a money black hole. If you read between the lines, it's clear that Bioware's management thought that in order to keep EA hands-off they had to bring in some money fast. It's anyone guess how real those concerns were. Considering EA allowed the development of TOR, Anthem & Andromeda to turn to clusterfucks.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Part of me wonder if it's a Western game company culture. Like the big Japanese game companies like Square-Enix and Cygames and Nintendo are perfectly happy to trout out a few mid-performing games or gachas that aren't expected to last forever.

This is pretty funny to say about Square-Enix considering they chaos dunk everything that isn't a CoD size hit and literally just sold off a ton of their IP earlier this year because they were only moderately successful

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zore posted:

This is pretty funny to say about Square-Enix considering they chaos dunk everything that isn't a CoD size hit and literally just sold off a ton of their IP earlier this year because they were only moderately successful

I love Octopath, the gacha is still going, Octopath II came out this year, and it would not be anything approaching CoD levels.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Raygereio posted:

They made the same decision for Inquisition.
The deadline for DA2 was, according to the people involved, Bioware's own decision.

this contradicts what the bioware devs themselves were saying a decade ago - the reason why goons are paraphrasing that 'EA wanted to do CoD numbers' was because that's pretty much the gist of what EA said to the staff during DA2's development, according to the writers who posted about it contemporaneously during the disastrous hype-up-to-DA2 PR cycle, that CoD games get churned out every year and still make millions so why can't the dragon age franchise do the same (given that da:origin just came off a long cycle)

j hepler, after leaving the company called DA2 a 'budget title' given how little time and resources the team was given during its cycle and that the game obviously became a product of those factors

to say that the deadline for DA2 was really bioware's decision invokes some kind of legalese argument where agreeing to do what the boss asks means you consented to the decision and therefore it's really your doing; i've seen the same line used for EA mandating the use of their frostbite engine (according to bioware devs who spoke anonymously to games journos re:the failure of andromeda); this was the engine that almost killed da:i and supposedly killed me:a because of its incompatibility with RPG mechanics

neither one of these decisions is one bioware would've made had it still been an independent studio imho

now in all fairness, the toxicity of this relationship goes both ways, bioware sold EA some insane pipe dreams for me:a and anthem and EA lapped it up, generously giving bioware years and years of un-micromanaged time to produce what they claimed they could, and the spectacular, and mostly internal, managerial errors of those games are both well-known to this thread

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

So they could concentrate on the notoriously successful NFT gaming sector no less.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

hard counter posted:

to say that the deadline for DA2 was really bioware's decision invokes some kind of legalese argument where agreeing to do what the boss asks means you consented to the decision and therefore it's really your doing; i've seen the same line used for EA mandating the use of their frostbite engine (according to bioware devs who spoke anonymously to games journos re:the failure of andromeda); this was the engine that almost killed da:i and supposedly killed me:a because of its incompatibility with RPG mechanics

neither one of these decisions is one bioware would've made had it still been an independent studio imho

Both of those decisions were made by Aaryn Flynn. Bioware had a general manager that loved chasing trends. And after leaving Bioware he is still doing it with a open world base building game. EA never had to sell Bioware's designers on trend chasing, they just had to sell Aaryn Flynn.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Raygereio posted:

EA isn't Bioware problem. DA2 was their own decision for one. It's the "bioware magic". As a company they've always had poo poo project management that they've compensated for with a fuckton of crunch. And it was only a matter of time before it stopped working for them.

Not sure how much you can trust them but Mark Darrah stated on youtube that DA2 happened because they were delayed on SWTOR so much that they feared of getting budget cuts / shuttered if they don't put out a full game soon so DA2 was switched from being an Expansion for DA:O to its own full fledged game and crunched out in 18 months.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

kilus aof posted:

Both of those decisions were made by Aaryn Flynn. Bioware had a general manager that loved chasing trends. And after leaving Bioware he is still doing it with a open world base building game. EA never had to sell Bioware's designers on trend chasing, they just had to sell Aaryn Flynn.

tbf for frostbite, flynn described his reasoning for it as embracing an eventuality sooner rather than later, and, funny enough, he also anticipated a lot more EA technical support re: the use of their own engine; famously, the opposite happened later with EA actually moving experienced frostbite programmers, who cut their teeth on the engine in da:i's insane crunch, off bioware to their FIFA games

i don't know of any of his da2 claims tho, but fernando melo (someone who left da4 in ~2019 incidentally) was the chief source for these internal commentaries back in ~2011

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

kilus aof posted:

And Aaryn Flynn's new studio is making Nightingale using Unreal Engine.

Let's be clear about what choice there was in regards to Frosbite: The company that held the purse strings gave a budget for a release and then Bioware management had to decide whether to use Frostbite for 'free' or had to figure out which team members to fire in order to license Unreal Engine.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

FrickenMoron posted:

Not sure how much you can trust them but Mark Darrah stated on youtube that DA2 happened because they were delayed on SWTOR so much that they feared of getting budget cuts / shuttered if they don't put out a full game soon so DA2 was switched from being an Expansion for DA:O to its own full fledged game and crunched out in 18 months.

If I'm remembering the right video it was basically that they believed EA would be mad at them for not having a release, any release, so they went for it but there was no specific mandate to churn Dragon Age games out on a super short timescale like we believed

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i should clarify, it's perfectly possible that EA sold frostbite to aaryn flynn, for being trendy, who then sold it to bioware, i just recall there being more to this situation than that dynamic alone

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1694392978205233572

BioWare posted:

Hello again,

Today, rather than discuss one of our upcoming projects, I’d like to share an update about the studio itself and outline our vision for BioWare’s future.

In order to meet the needs of our upcoming projects, continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard of quality, and ensure BioWare can continue to thrive in an industry that’s rapidly evolving, we must shift towards a more agile and more focused studio. It will allow our developers to iterate quickly, unlock more creativity, and form a clear vision of what we’re building before development ramps up.

To achieve this, we find ourselves in a position where change is not only necessary, but unavoidable. As difficult as this is to say, rethinking our approach to development inevitably means reorganizing our team to match the studio’s changing needs.

As part of this transition, we are eliminating approximately 50 roles at BioWare. That is deeply painful and humbling to write. We are doing everything we can to ensure the process is handled with empathy, respect, and clear communication. With that last point in mind, I want to take a moment to explain how we got here, what we’re doing to support our colleagues, and what this means for BioWare’s current and future games.

WHAT’S HAPPENING NOW
After much consideration and careful planning, we have built a long-term vision that will preserve the health of the studio and better enable us to do what we do best: create exceptional story-driven single-player experiences filled with vast worlds and rich characters. This vision balances the current needs of the studio—namely, ensuring Dragon Age™: Dreadwolf is an outstanding game—with its future, including the success of the next Mass Effect™.

We’ve chosen to act now in part to provide our impacted colleagues with as many internal opportunities as possible. These changes coincide with a significant number of roles that are currently open across EA’s other studios. Impacted employees will be provided with professional resources and assistance as they apply for these positions.

While it’s unlikely that everyone will find a new role within the company, we are committed to supporting our staff as they navigate this change. Our sincere hope is that they can continue their exemplary work at studios who stand to benefit immensely from their talents.

IMMEDIATE IMPACT
If you’re wondering how all of this will impact development of Dragon Age: Dreadwolf, let me be clear that our dedication to the game has never wavered. Our commitment remains steadfast, and we all are working to make this game worthy of the Dragon Age name. We are confident that we’ll have the time needed to ensure Dreadwolf reaches its full potential.

I can also tell you that every member of our team, even those departing BioWare, deserves credit for crafting a spectacular experience. These are our colleagues and friends, and we would not be here without them. I am so proud of all the work our team has done.

WHAT COMES NEXT
While this is an extremely difficult day for everyone at BioWare, we are making changes now to build a brighter future. We’re excited for all of you to see what we’ve been building with Dreadwolf. A core veteran team led by Mike Gamble continues their pre-production work on the next Mass Effect. Our commitment to quality continues to be our North Star.

As cliche as this sounds, there truly is never a good time to enact changes like this, but we trust that we have the right leaders and team in place with vision, passion, and proven track records to deliver world-class Dragon Age and Mass Effect experiences that our fans will love.

For now, I want to thank everyone at BioWare—past and present—for making the studio what it is. I also want to thank our community for your continued support. We’re eager to reveal more about Dreadwolf, and we look forward to discovering what else the future holds.

Gary McKay
General Manager, BioWare

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dreadwolf is going to be an utter disaster, isn’t it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Our vision for the future is to cut a sixth of our staff!

I admit, I don't read a lot of layoff announcements. Are they usually framed as "outlining our vision"?

CottonWolf posted:

It already is, but if we're lucky it'll never come out. The sooner the shambling corpse called Bioware turns to dust, the sooner a company that still cares about making games might have a chance to use one of their IPs.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 23, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ok, even if they weren't bull making GBS threads about massive layoffs, buoware wanting to go agile with their comically large projects is hilarious.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Skippy McPants posted:

Our vision for the future is to cut a sixth of our staff!

I admit, I don't read a lot of layoff announcements. Are they usually framed as "outlining our vision"?

Yeah, pretty typical for a publicly traded company. Layoffs means things are bad: the shareholders need an explanation for why they shouldn’t be dumping everything they still hold…

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/PatStaresAt/status/1694406199402471567

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

dreadwolf will be dire

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It's crazy that Inquisition came out 9 years ago now and we're still not close to a DA:4 and the one we will get will likely be bad

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

they call it dreadwolf because i dread seeing what it ends up being

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Also, barring some missteps (the MMOification, mainly), DA:I was an actual good game, with a memorable villain (Solas, not Cory-dude, although I thought he was allright, too) and an actual, honest to god, decent ending that neatly concluded the story (shame you had to pay extra for it cause I obviously mean Trespasser).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This game is never coming out.