Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Combo posted:

Oh I know, I'm not an electrician but I did go to school for electrical, so while I could probably do it properly and to code I would much rather just have the contractors do all of it.

Can you do the work? Probably, it's not super complex stuff. Can you do the work to code, with all of the conduit correctly bonded and all the NEC fiddly details done correctly? Might take a 2nd inspection to pass but yeah. But you are not LICENSED, BONDED, and INSURED to do commercial electrical work. Three things that your insurance company will ask for the nanosecond there is a claim on anything, anywhere in the building. Also in a lot of areas it's straight up against local ordinances for someone to owner/builder a commercial space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Can you do the work? Probably, it's not super complex stuff. Can you do the work to code, with all of the conduit correctly bonded and all the NEC fiddly details done correctly? Might take a 2nd inspection to pass but yeah. But you are not LICENSED, BONDED, and INSURED to do commercial electrical work. Three things that your insurance company will ask for the nanosecond there is a claim on anything, anywhere in the building. Also in a lot of areas it's straight up against local ordinances for someone to owner/builder a commercial space.

Oh I'm in 100% agreement with you, and specifically I don't want to touch trying to untangle and make sense of the wiring in this building, which has been done and patched over multiples times over the years before we even got here. It's a mess.

I promise you this isn't going to turn into Groverhaus: Business edition

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Company doesn't have the money to pay for coffee for the maybe 10 people that still drink it, and is struggling to make hundred-dollar refunds in a 60 day span. Meanwhile the owner is investing in AI (and completely switched customer service over to chatbots, with no humans in the loop or available) and "buying more companies".

I think we've hit the death throes. Still trying unsuccessfully to get out.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Combo posted:

Oh I'm in 100% agreement with you, and specifically I don't want to touch trying to untangle and make sense of the wiring in this building, which has been done and patched over multiples times over the years before we even got here. It's a mess.

I promise you this isn't going to turn into Groverhaus: Business edition

This is pretty much what I’ve told a couple previous employers that tried to get me to fool with electrical. I’m not interested in unfucking the last guy’s poo poo.

(Mostly because I work in kitchens and nobody ever pays to have it done properly the first time)

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
Oh man. I was an 01 WA electrician and currently an ABYC boat electrician. Normal building stuff has nothing on boats.

Just remember the NEC is a code book written in blood.

If it has the potential to smoke you..don't touch it. Please.

*Puts hand behind back and licks pinky into the socket

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

SkyeAuroline posted:

Company doesn't have the money to pay for coffee for the maybe 10 people that still drink it, and is struggling to make hundred-dollar refunds in a 60 day span. Meanwhile the owner is investing in AI (and completely switched customer service over to chatbots, with no humans in the loop or available) and "buying more companies".

All hands abandon ship

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Mandatory fun is the worst unless you’re the one making everyone else do it, in which case it’s a lot of fun just because you get to watch people suffer.

The duality of man(agement).

Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Da...so...yeah...if you want to...go ahead and feel free to wear a Hawaiian Shirt, mmm=kay?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Every day is Hawaiian shirt day if you pair it with a tie

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

That Dang Lizard posted:

I wish they still made the D6000(S), those things were solid.

You're nuts sorry, DisplayLink is garbage and needs to be purged from this world.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

BiggerBoat posted:

Friday is Hawaiian Shirt Da...so...yeah...if you want to...go ahead and feel free to wear a Hawaiian Shirt, mmm=kay?

Three jobs ago someone tried to get us all to wear Hawaiian shirts, not really as a manager but a coworker who thought Hawaiian shirt Friday was cool. I told him I really didn’t like Hawaiian shirts, but I did have a couple nautical themed shirts so I’d wear those instead. Now I always wear nautical themed shirts on Friday and my coworkers think something is terribly wrong if I don’t

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I have a Hawaiian shirt with my pets faces custom printed on it that I wear on the last Thursday of the month because I'm usually being a dickhead trying to ship orders around that time so it's nice to make people smile.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I was asked to attend a dog-and-pony show demonstrating a new platform we're currently deploying for one of our sister utilities as a useful idiot "user." I did my part (because i've known everyone on the team for like 15 years and don't mind gassing them up), and the sister utility engineering manager offered me a job. I thought he was being flippant but 0700 the next day he's video calling me and pitching the job and asking when i can come out to the business location. This is an attractive move for me because it would cut my commute in half, but would be a move from my IBEW local to management.

We're all part of an umbrella of parent companies and share a lot of pension/benefits schemes. I tell him I gotta check with benefits because I don't want to impact my pension. After 48 hours, I had to decline the offer. Leaving my current role, even moving to management within my own org, my eligible retirement age goes from 55 to 60. every year under 60 is a 5% reduction in pension payouts. I knew I had golden handcuffs but I didn't realize it was that stark. gently caress.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Biplane posted:

I can guarantee you they did not perform in Stavanger :v:

But, Stavanger is apparently home to one of two of Norway's official Beatles fan clubs.

At the same time, there were no fewer than two separate official Beatles Fan clubs operating in Norway, one in the Oslo area and one on the southwest coast, in Stavanger.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

re: bathroom chat, about 10 years ago a gentleman i worked with slit his wrists in the office bathroom. we only found him because of the blood pooling out from under the stall he used. EMS stabilized him, he recovered and is still working here (albeit transferred to a different region).

I've taken a few coworkers to the local hospital over my career and stayed with them until the family arrived, but that was always heart attack/panic attack symptoms. Office bathrooms are extremely cursed places.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Biplane posted:

I can guarantee you they did not perform in Stavanger :v:

Ha, sant nok.

I guess it's just a fanboy, then - or someone wanting to accommodate all the English oil industry guys but slightly missing the age group.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

frest posted:

re: bathroom chat, about 10 years ago a gentleman i worked with slit his wrists in the office bathroom. we only found him because of the blood pooling out from under the stall he used. EMS stabilized him, he recovered and is still working here (albeit transferred to a different region).

I've taken a few coworkers to the local hospital over my career and stayed with them until the family arrived, but that was always heart attack/panic attack symptoms. Office bathrooms are extremely cursed places.

Company just won't leave people alone for five loving minutes jfc.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lmao

Computer viking posted:

Ha, sant nok.

I guess it's just a fanboy, then - or someone wanting to accommodate all the English oil industry guys but slightly missing the age group.

Well if you all are ever in the area, check out the Radisson in Stavanger and ask for the Beatles suite!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Had experience hiring contractors to rewire house. On the plus side they stuck to their original bid and the work passed inspection & has not had odd issues since. On the negative took them four months somehow (big gaps between when they’d show up) and I got subpoenaed to testify against them for a state investigation about unlicensed workers.

For bathroom chat it was interesting to hear workers from Europe complaining the loudest about excessive gaps in our stall walls, then visiting Iceland & seeing how their stalls are enclosed privacy cubicles, which were much better.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For bathroom chat it was interesting to hear workers from Europe complaining the loudest about excessive gaps in our stall walls, then visiting Iceland & seeing how their stalls are enclosed privacy cubicles, which were much better.

They're not wrong. Nobody needs to see what I get up to in a public bathroom staff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

They're not wrong. Nobody needs to see what I get up to in a public bathroom staff.

this you?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Americans just want to watch other people poo poo, is that a crime? Not in America, pal.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I like to read while taking a poo poo, and the recent trend of the zoomers just listening to tiktok on they phones while making GBS threads is somehow worse than people taking work calls on the can. at least listening to people talk shop sometimes you hear gossip or whatever

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Had experience hiring contractors to rewire house. On the plus side they stuck to their original bid and the work passed inspection & has not had odd issues since. On the negative took them four months somehow (big gaps between when they’d show up) and I got subpoenaed to testify against them for a state investigation about unlicensed workers.

If you hire a contractor to do work of any kind and you want it done promptly, you better have a GC or be prepared to spend an inordinate amount of time chasing them down on the phone. Unless you’re paying out the rear end, anyway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

frest posted:

Back in 2019 when we had our area by the bathrooms we heard a big thud, but thought nothing of it because there's always weird sounds in this building. A minute later, one of my teammates staggered to the entrance to our area and fell flat on his face. Turned out he had an ulcer that bled hard enough for him to pass out, first in the bathroom, then right in front of our boss.

Our boss followed the ambulance to the hospital and an hour or so later the guy who passed out sent a text to our group chat that read "I fuckin' hate you, [BOSS'S NAME]" and a photo from the hospital of the rubber glove our boss had put on the dude's shoe when the poor bastard was more conscious and it was clear he probably wasn't gonna die.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Salami Surgeon posted:

Friday morning someone messages me, "We gotta test an OTA update on a device. Is anything available?" I tell them we have something available in the lab, get it powered up, let them know it's ready. At 4PM Friday they email the OTA team, "Hey, can you push an update to this device???"

Today they had to free up some space in the lab and moved my equipment out and to the back 40. So of course now is when it's very important that we test the OTA ASAP!

Almost 2 weeks later, OTA team is finally ready to push the update.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

Back in 2019 when we had our area by the bathrooms we heard a big thud, but thought nothing of it because there's always weird sounds in this building. A minute later, one of my teammates staggered to the entrance to our area and fell flat on his face. Turned out he had an ulcer that bled hard enough for him to pass out, first in the bathroom, then right in front of our boss.

Our boss followed the ambulance to the hospital and an hour or so later the guy who passed out sent a text to our group chat that read "I fuckin' hate you, [BOSS'S NAME]" and a photo from the hospital of the rubber glove our boss had put on the dude's shoe when the poor bastard was more conscious and it was clear he probably wasn't gonna die.
i don't know how you do something like that without just understanding, on a very basic level, that you will never again own a car with unslashed tires or a finish that isn't custom decorated by local key enthusiasts

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I've never had a glove on a shoe. Is it just really hard to get off or something?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've never had a glove on a shoe. Is it just really hard to get off or something?

I assume it's easy to get off when you're not hooked up to an IV.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

frest posted:

i don't know how you do something like that without just understanding, on a very basic level, that you will never again own a car with unslashed tires or a finish that isn't custom decorated by local key enthusiasts

Might just be me but that's a tad disproportional

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I assume it's easy to get off when you're not hooked up to an IV.

Not really, modern IVs lend a lot of mobility unless you’re strapped to the hearse bed

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Chaotic Flame posted:

I’ve read that story three times & I think I’m missing something. Were the boss & worker friends & the glove was an in joke? Was the glove on the shoe to prevent the employee from bleeding on the floor?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Coasterphreak posted:

Not really, modern IVs lend a lot of mobility unless you’re strapped to the hearse bed

I dunno, he was probably still hosed up from the blood loss or maybe they put him on something too. He just told us he had to wait for a nurse to come in to take it off for him.

The nurse thought it was hilarious.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

SkyeAuroline posted:

company that stops providing free coffee is telling you to abandon ship asap

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Relevant Tangent posted:

company that stops providing free coffee is telling you to abandon ship asap

Like I said, I'm working on it. Try finding a job that pays a living wage in a small rust belt town where the only things advertising above $20 an hour are CNAs/RNs and "master's degree required" fields completely unrelated to mine.
It's not exactly easy. Especially with our local rental market getting turbo hosed the last few years, forcing "living wage" up a good 40%.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve read that story three times & I think I’m missing something. Were the boss & worker friends & the glove was an in joke? Was the glove on the shoe to prevent the employee from bleeding on the floor?

Passed out dude was recovering in the ER, but it was clear the actual emergency was over. Boss hung out with him to make sure passed out dude was getting a ride home. Once passed out dude's boyfriend confirmed he was on his way, Boss bounced. Right as he left he put the glove on passed out dude's shoe - which he was still wearing.

My team is... Probably unique in the amount of pranks we pull on each other and poo poo we talk to each other while still actually working effectively.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cthulu Carl posted:

Boss cares enough to drop everything and follow an employee to hospital, but also willing to gently caress with people when the opportunity arises.

Good workplace environment imo.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

i interpreted this as a plausibly deniable way to excuse a fall on company premises as being due to worker negligence, in anticipation of workman's comp claims

e: but i work in an industry where any accident on company premises triggers a safety audit and the manager has to provide a full account on company wide conference calls daily.

Space Kablooey posted:

Might just be me but that's a tad disproportional

you're right if they were just joking around, then i jumped the gun. i've known supervisors to send dudes home after receiving non-lethal electric arc flashes etc because if they report it and seek medical attention, it will gently caress the whole org over, so i fully admit that i am hair trigger on workplace accident stuff

frest fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Aug 24, 2023

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Glove on shoe is funny

frest
Sep 17, 2004

This year we had a team need to do the "parade of shame" because an operator trainee authorized them to work on something that was supposed to be dead from the station, and was instead alive.

the operator hosed up, the crew realized it was alive after someone got shocked, and then they attempted to damage his PPE to justify the accident (puncturing a glove with a screwdriver after the incident). Everyone involved ate poo poo and it was very embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

frest posted:

This year we had a team need to do the "parade of shame" because an operator trainee authorized them to work on something that was supposed to be dead from the station, and was instead alive.

the operator hosed up, the crew realized it was alive after someone got shocked, and then they attempted to damage his PPE to justify the accident (puncturing a glove with a screwdriver after the incident). Everyone involved ate poo poo and it was very embarrassing

Fukken :lol:, a reminder for why electricians have a union because literally every single contractor is exactly this scummy.