Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has there been any games been in development hell this long and with so many setbacks and actually turn out good?

The Last Guardian was in development for nine years before coming out. It was a massive commercial flop, but reviewed well and is a good game if Team ICO's sort of stuff is your jam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ApplesandOranges posted:

Has there been any games been in development hell this long and with so many setbacks and actually turn out good?

Dragon Age Origins technically was in dev for about this long and had a bunch of setbacks.

Also the 2012 XCOM reboot which went through some absolutely wild revisions over the years leading up to its release.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Bioware magic!

ghouldaddy07
Jun 23, 2008
Even if this game was 10/10 for quality it would still bomb from Internet hate. You cannot make nerds wait over 5 years for a product. It goes double if they are head married to your elf characters.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I looked up some games that had very long development times. Some highlights:

Diablo 3 (11 years)
Metroid Dread (15 years)
Starfox 2 (20 years)
Duke Nukem Forever (15 years)
Final Fantasy XV (10 years)

So hey, maybe there's hope yet!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Sure, but how many of those were 1. Good and 2. If 1, worth the wait?

Maybe a half?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Also a couple of those were definitely not in-development for those entire periods. Dread's final version was a whole other studio and definitely didn't use any GBA assets that may or may not have existed, and SF2 was done forever and just shelved.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
That is also arguably true of Dreadwolf, which has basically been rebooted several times.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Dreadwolf will be lovely, Bioware will be destroyed, and from the ashes Jade Empire 2 will finally be made.

Man that cyberpunk/magic future concept for Jade empire 2 would hit so hard right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

DrManiac posted:

Man that cyberpunk/magic future concept for Jade empire 2 would hit so hard right now.

Magic the Gathering literally did this with Kamigawa recently and it was rad as hell

We had rat people yakuza biker gangs and digital kami

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Beyond good & evil 2 is the only game I remember that seems to be in the same league of development hell.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That is also arguably true of Dreadwolf, which has basically been rebooted several times.

It's also true of Duke Nukem Forever and Final Fantasy XV too and most games with troubled productions.

Metroid Dread shouldn't really count because it was being worked on shortly after Zero Mission came out, then cancelled and then only recently got revived and release by completely different developers on new hardware and by all accounts, its dev cycle was super smooth. Starfox 2 shouldn't count because it was complete 20 years ago, just unreleased until recently.

The other games in the list kept rebooting their productions from scratch without actually cancelling the releases.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Metroid Prime 4 probably counts, though. That one's running real close to Dreadwolf right now (2017 announcement with ??? ever since aside from a studio change)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The thing is, a lot of games spend longer in development than the public ever hears about. Things like pre-production can take years and often get done before announcements. I think more important than the development time is the overall health and record of the studio. Look at Diablo 3 and FF XV, games that took a while but came from strong studios with a good track record (at the time, at least). Compare that to the current state of Bioware, plagued with internal issues and with their last two marquee titles being a complete mess.

At this point, it's long odds that Bioware could produce any game, let alone one stuck in development hell.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

claw game handjob posted:

Metroid Prime 4 probably counts, though. That one's running real close to Dreadwolf right now (2017 announcement with ??? ever since aside from a studio change)

True but the recent Metroid Prime Remaster was a test bed for the new engine for Metroid Prime 4 apparently, so at least the devs seem to be doing something?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

XV is a game I like but drat it has issues too. It's troubled development shows in the final product. It largely works because I like the characters and the presentation/music is absurdly good. But it's gameplay is pretty bleh and it's story requires you to see all the out of game media to really enjoy it. Basically Apocalypsis Aquarius carries the game on it's shoulders into making me deal with the jank to enjoy it.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 24, 2023

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
My sympathies to those laid off but as far as Bioware overall goes, gently caress 'em they blew it. Take them round the back of the chemical sheds, they're done. Vault the worthless Dragon Age IP (Origins is literally the only good one), give Mass Effect to a studio that isn't a complete shitshow and make some fun space adventures.

Do it EA.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Nioh is another game that was in development forever but turned out well. It started development for it in 2004 for the PS3. It didn't come out until 2017 for the PS4 after multiple revisions and getting moved through three teams.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sentinel Red posted:

My sympathies to those laid off but as far as Bioware overall goes, gently caress 'em they blew it. Take them round the back of the chemical sheds, they're done. Vault the worthless Dragon Age IP (Origins is literally the only good one), give Mass Effect to a studio that isn't a complete shitshow and make some fun space adventures.

Do it EA.

Let Jake Solomon make the next Dragon Age game.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

every game in development hell has been rebooted multiple times im pretty sure

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

OhFunny posted:

Nioh is another game that was in development forever but turned out well. It started development for it in 2004 for the PS3. It didn't come out until 2017 for the PS4 after multiple revisions and getting moved through three teams.

Nioh and Nioh 2 also had amazing post release support and they just kept improving it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

always bet on the duke of orlais

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/Knoebelbroet/status/1694732002392490344

I'll be shocked if it comes out by 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Until they show some functioning gameplay, I won't believe it's even in active development.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Until they show some functioning gameplay, I won't believe it's even in active development.

I believe its in development they just keep starting over.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Draggin' Age...

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Pattonesque posted:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Its release date is set to be the same as VTM Bloodlines 2

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

And the MCU Blade movie

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/??8????7?
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8FseS7F/

exquisite tea posted:

Draggin' Age...

New thread title!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Wtf is this

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1694849895277183007

quote:

Stunned to learn BioWare also let go of Lukas Kristjanson. We used to call him Old Man Luke and Writer Alpha - there since BG1, the writer behind Minsc and Joker and so many more. One of Bio's longest-serving employees. Hats off to him, hope he's doing well. -David Gaider

wow. they got rid of the creator of loving Minsc.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Joker’s hat’s off to him

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
He also wrote Aveline and Coryphehus.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1694849895277183007

wow. they got rid of the creator of loving Minsc.

Lol it would own if larian hired him to do additional minsc work for BG3

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

steinrokkan posted:

Lol it would own if larian hired him to do additional minsc work for BG3

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be additional Minsc work for BG3. :(

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Looks like Mary Kirby is another one of the 50. She has writing credits in pretty much all DA titles.
And also Andre Garcia, who was the gameplay director for Dreadwolf.

Yikes.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 25, 2023

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

It’s a good sign when a company fires all of its best talent with decades of experience, right? I am not a big pertained brained game executive

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

poisonpill posted:

It’s a good sign when a company fires all of its best talent with decades of experience, right? I am not a big pertained brained game executive

Well sure, they were probably paid really well and had all these expectations due to their decades of experience. Think of all the inexperienced newbies they can hire and push around with the payroll they just freed up!

Edit: but yeah, it's wild to lay off a bunch of the creative force behind your games when that is, like, the only thing a lot of people enjoyed in your games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

It’s the kind of move you make to reduce costs for a short time until you release your last product and can shutter the company.

If they’ve finished their work on Dreadwolf, keeping them on only makes sense if you’re actually planning on developing future games.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 25, 2023