Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I don't think any european B-license requires a mandatory course. It's strongly advised to take one but you could brain dump the book if you had a decent memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Groda posted:

The Swedish license doesn't require any training.

It does require the risk2 low friction skid course thing though, surely that counts as training?
My uncle used to be a driving/motorcycle riding teacher, and IIRC he one time said that students of his that couldn't practice privately and needed to do all their training from scratch at the driving school usually needed about 20 or so 50 minute lessons order to get the skills needed to have a good shot at passing the licence drive. This was way back when stick was the norm though, getting an automatic only licence is much more common now or so I've read.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Invalido posted:

It does require the risk2 low friction skid course thing though, surely that counts as training?
No, I wouldn't count it.

The state of Nebraska issued drivers between 16-18 years old a "provisional operator's permit," but requires them to either log 50 hours of driving practice with a parent, or go an approved driver's education course (no such requirement exists if you wait till you're over 18).

That's the only time I came in contact with a training requirement in the US or Sweden.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Groda posted:

No, I wouldn't count it.

Because...?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Groda posted:

No, I wouldn't count it.

The state of Nebraska issued drivers between 16-18 years old a "provisional operator's permit," but requires them to either log 50 hours of driving practice with a parent, or go an approved driver's education course (no such requirement exists if you wait till you're over 18).
Likewise for Ohio. Temps available from 15.5 after a written test, probationary license with curfew after driver's ed, 24 hours of supervised driving, and a practical driving test from 16, then the moment you turn 18 the education/supervision requirements disappear making it hypothetically possible to go from zero to a standard noncommercial license with nothing more than a trip to the BMV.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dang, he's not even good at Beach

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

Dang, he's not even good at Beach

He's just waiting for his friend to get there so they can beach off with each other

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Just muscle it out of the sand bro, don't be a PUSS....do you even lift?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

I don't think any european B-license requires a mandatory course. It's strongly advised to take one but you could brain dump the book if you had a decent memory.

To get the normal B licence in Germany twelve 1,5h theory lessons are mandatory.
Five 45 minute driving lessons on country roads, four 45 minute lessons on the autobahn and three 45 minute lessons in the dark are also mandatory.

There are no mandatory "normal" driving lessons but most people take at least 10-20 to get stuff down for the test which is stressful as gently caress because even a couple of slight mistakes like not looking over your shoulder when changing lanes, forgetting to signal or not properly stopping at a stop sign can make you fail the test.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I checked the laws here and unless I'm somehow blind it sure looked like there's a mandatory minimum of like eight hours of driving school as a prerequisite to getting a license. I'm pretty sure it was more than that when I got mine though. That said my driving test was a casual drive through town, involving one regular reverse park into an otherwise empty lot and no hill start, not a single traffic light or multi-lane road and certainly no parallel parking because that was not even taught. I still don't know how to parallel park to this day since I've never had to. I do know how to do a hill start in theory, except it's all nonsense today since all the cars I'll ever drive are automatics anyway. The last manual car I drove semi-regularly was my dad's Land Cruiser Prado back in '19 before he sold it and got an '05 with an automatic instead.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'll only ever drive manuals, hate autos and the fact they're winning! It sucks!!!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

When I turned 16 my dad and I went to the DMV and he signed the paperwork saying he’d taught me how to drive, we’d done the hours, all that stuff. Then I took the extremely easy written test and he signed a paper waiving the need for a physical driving test, and then I got my license. No actual behind the wheel testing at all.

This was, of course, in Texas.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Italy has now six hours of driving, done along with a certified driving instructor, two hours of night driving, two hours of highway driving, two hours of country driving(or high volume urban). At least it's better than the old regime of zero hours along with a professional required. The task sequence is theory exam, minimum driving hours, practical exam. They are planning to introduce coursework instead of driving exams for A-class since it's a huge time sink for DMV staff(and driving schools are more than happy to get extra paying customers) but nothing on the table for B-class.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Any improvement in Italian driving yet?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
anyone have any idea what it's like to get the equivalent of a commercial driver's license in Europe or Australia? The US is just a written test, a practical and a physical exam but I'd imagine over 98% of drivers go to school for it.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Large Testicles posted:

anyone have any idea what it's like to get the equivalent of a commercial driver's license in Europe or Australia? The US is just a written test, a practical and a physical exam but I'd imagine over 98% of drivers go to school for it.

B-class license, then theory exam followed by a practice exam. Nothing more for Italy.

knox_harrington posted:

Any improvement in Italian driving yet?

Still feeling that the immense drop in driving skills caused by the lockdown hasn't changed. It's drastically worse than before.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 27, 2023

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

SlowBloke posted:

B-class license, then theory exam followed by a practice exam. Nothing more for Italy.

Still feeling that the immense drop in driving skills caused by the lockdown hasn't changed. It's drastically worse than before.

people got super aggro during "lockdown" over here and that hasn't improved either

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

quote not edit dumbass

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Large Testicles posted:

In Finland it varies quite a bit between different license classes. You first need B-license. Upgrading it to C1 requires 3 hours of drive training and C 10 hours. C1->C is 7 hours, C->CE, the semitruck class requires 30 hours. For theory instuction B to C1 requires 2 hours, other upgrades are 10 to 15 hours.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shai-Hulud posted:

slight mistakes like not looking over your shoulder when changing lanes, forgetting to signal
lmao those are not slight mistakes, those are "crash into someone and grievous injuries ensue" mistakes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My driving exams in Canada around the turn of the century were pretty comprehensive. Parallel parking uphill, 3-point turns in a narrow street, highway merging and lane changes, etc. But the grading was also fair. I stalled the engine once and turned the wrong direction once (I have some kind of disability about the words left and right I think) but I only got one ding for "improper gear selection" and another for "improper turning technique," both of which you can do wrong three times before failing on the fourth.

Works for me

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Large Testicles posted:

Depends on what you mean by commercial license, I did a C category license in the UK which is a non-articulated truck license with no weight limit, trailer limited to 750kg. A full artic license is a C+E. Predictably you have to have a car license already. Getting the license took me about a week of driving the truck around and learning how to maneouvre it.

The theory test is a multplie choice test followed by a hazard perception test, this is very similar to what you have to do for a normal car or bike license. The practical test was about an hour of driving it around the fairly narrow roads in East Anglia and demonstrating you can park it into a bay and parallel park it. There are a bunch of questions they ask you which I vaguely remember, about things like air brakes.

UK government info is here
https://www.gov.uk/become-lorry-bus-driver

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Large Testicles posted:

Took me four weeks in the army, 30 years ago.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
They are talking live on the radio now about drivers license requirements. In 2018 they reduced the theoretical hours from 19 to 4 hours and driving lessons something equally much. Ostensibly to keep costs in check.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
No need to baby the weak; the strong drivers don't need lessons. Drival of the fittest, baby

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Large Testicles posted:

Australia is divided into different categories depending on what you want to drive.

Car licence is a theory + practical tests. Once you progress past into the heavy vehicle licences you either do an on road practical test (which you'll inevitably fail cos you'll forget one tiny detail and they dont like you and think your being cocky) or you do an approved training course which takes a couple of days, involves both theory work and practical tests where you work your way through a list of competencies proving you know your poo poo, then do a final on road practical test.

Tho the list of poo poo you can drive with a MC licence is wild

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Do they still do those huge long convoys of trucks pulling several trailers across the country?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
BAB-Quad Queen

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do they still do those huge long convoys of trucks pulling several trailers across the country?

My neighbour drives Adelaide to Darwin each week pulling A triples- 136 tonnes, 53.5 meters long. 3 days there, drop the three trailers, pick up another three and turn around and drive three days back and then a day off before doing it all again. And there’s thousands of those rigs running around- there’s one company alone that’s got basically 100 rigs all set up doing road train runs in northern Australia.

Our rail network only really covers major cities, so we really rely on trucks for moving most of our goods around the place.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess Australia didn't have any immigrants to sacrifice to the railroad?

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
How in the name of gravy is one truck capable of hauling that much weight at one time ? I can sort of understand it once something like that is moving but anything related to actually starting to move or stop (hella inertia) I don't get. 96 speed transmission and tires made out of bullshittium/unobtanium ?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I'm now imagining road trains running double-headed to get up hills.

(I assume getting regulatory approval would be harder than the technical aspect)

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I guess Australia didn't have any immigrants to sacrifice to the railroad?

More theres absolutely gently caress ALL out there to justify it- outside of the major built up areas, Australia is a desolate wasteland with tiny isolated populations

Just not economical to spend all the money to run a railroad to a township with 50 people in it.

MREBoy posted:

How in the name of gravy is one truck capable of hauling that much weight at one time ? I can sort of understand it once something like that is moving but anything related to actually starting to move or stop (hella inertia) I don't get. 96 speed transmission and tires made out of bullshittium/unobtanium ?

Massive gearing reduction, massive amounts of torque.

Like this one- Quad steer, Tri drive Volvo FH16

https://www.volvotrucks.com.au/en-au/news/magazine-online/2016/jun/australian-outback-road-train.html

700hp, 3150 Nm of torque (2323ft.lb) and when you've got an 11.7:1 first gear, combined with up to a 6:1 axle gear, you've got an awful lot of torque with not a lot of rotation to get a huge weight moving

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Maybe Darwin should cease to exist

A natural selection, if you will

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like it would be more economical to use a ship to sail around the coast from darwin to adelaide and back, but I'm sure someone thought of that and did the numbers and somehow running hundreds of trucks is less expensive

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
I think Aussie is pretty flat on most of the areas those truck conveys run, that and those have max speed of what 50? My understanding is that at a certain point you basically can only run in mining areas though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MREBoy posted:

https://youtu.be/NokwepgrlpM?si=WwFSmH0S7Cz5k77T

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Maybe Darwin should cease to exist

A natural selection, if you will

If you want a really fun evening in and enjoy reading, you could read On The Beach by Neville Schute and get this experience!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

charliemonster42 posted:

If you want a really fun evening in and enjoy reading, you could read On The Beach by Neville Schute and get this experience!

Neville Schute (Norway) deserves a spot in this thread, not because of his own mechanical failings, but becasue he wrote about the failings of what "just might be the most incompetent civil aviation project of all time" and was involved in a far more competent competitor to the same project.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3276654&pagenumber=808&perpage=40#post447403446