Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qirex posted:

the incredibly expensive software I work on considers excel our primary competitor and in some cases we are straight up cheaper than running a jenga tower of giant excel vms which can easily exceed a mil/month

if excel wasn't such dogshit for actually building applications from like 20% of software developers would be out of a job. i'm convinced that there's a way to define scalable, user definable operations on data in a way than non programmers actually have a chance of building something robust, they get kind of close with VLOOKUP which is mindboggling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

distortion park posted:

if excel wasn't such dogshit for actually building applications from like 20% of software developers would be out of a job. i'm convinced that there's a way to define scalable, user definable operations on data in a way than non programmers actually have a chance of building something robust, they get kind of close with VLOOKUP which is mindboggling
Access was actually the closest thing to allowing non-programmers to build apps

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
access still exists.

and having seen the things i have, i don't think it was a good idea

mystes
May 31, 2006

Access was completely fine in itself for use on a single computer to the extent that the person using it understood databases; you're just inherently going to end up with weird stuff when you let non-programmers do stuff

Also, like all subsequent platforms that would now be described as no code / low code, it was hampered by being artificially limited to sell other stuff (SQL server and not competing with microsoft's developer products in the case of access)

I think a lot of newer products that are going for the same thing are actually strictly worse in terms of UI, but Access is effectively dead even if it still technically exists because of just being a desktop application

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 23, 2023

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i used to work for a local bank and they used access as a front end for reporting some stuff out of an oracle database, it was a real shitshow

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"why do we need to pay programmers a wage above starvation level? programming is easy. except for all the hard bits"

even if you pretend very hard that what you are doing is not programming, it is still programming.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

excel and access all the more important in 2023 where the cost of hiring a programmer capable and willing to do a better job than whoever would toss some formulas in to make their job easier wouldn't stop at a deece 6.5 figgies anymore

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it is very important that a worker not have any money left over after whatever parasite owns his land gets done threatening him with violence every month

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

choice between having kate in accounting tweak it again or firing three people to get hbag in to do it

mystes
May 31, 2006

It doesn't really matter because nothing is an offline desktop application now so things like access aren't a realistic replacement, and none of the modern equivalents really even try to be usable to non-programmers

Getting angry in 2023 because access might have allowed non-programmers to replace programmers 20-30 years ago doesn't really make sense

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 23, 2023

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
nah i'm not opposed to "non-programmers" doing programming, i meant nothing more than what i said: pretending something isn't programming doesn't make it not-programming.

programming tools are not difficult to use because the people making them are obstinate dickheads (well...), they're difficult to use because the problem domain is difficult. plenty of people have tried making simpler tools and simply pretending that the harder parts don't exist. for example, access pretends that only one person sitting at one computer at a time is ever going to need to use a business database. or that disks never fail etc.

if you have an actual database server then you need a dba, even if the extent of their dba duties is to install a database server on a computer somewhere, set up periodic backups, and validate them. at that point if you still need a "rad gui" (man remember those days) you'd be better off writing a vb6 application or perhaps a winforms application. but then you have to get your hands dirty with sql. there was that linq-to-sql thing a while back but then you run straight into a brick wall the moment you need to make a slightly more complicated report, and business will always come up with ever newer and more inventive ways to torture the data into a graph that goes up and to the right, and then you have to worry about joins and indexes and stuff and all of a sudden you're doing real big boy programmer work.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Teams threw up a loving NPS "how do you rate this product?" modal in the middle of a meeting as my boss was using the whiteboard

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

right, regardless of the current state of puter touching, programmers aren’t paid to learn to use fart.js, they’re paid to solve problems. even if the problem is solved using fart.js you’re at least paying someone to go through the trouble of learning fart.js and applying it as a solution. low/no code solutions are part of a decades old narrative push of trying to paint programmers as fungible, as if the hard part was writing weird english on the computer to make stuff happen.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

Teams threw up a loving NPS "how do you rate this product?" modal in the middle of a meeting as my boss was using the whiteboard

poorly, it turns out

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
if you haven't looked at Weather.app in a few weeks, check it out

syke, microsoft changed their best app to be busy as hell and ugly as sin!

also, lol @ this, the weird function, the incorrect text, and the broken themeing

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Microsoft is using .app application bundles now?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

~Coxy posted:

if you haven't looked at Weather.app in a few weeks, check it out

syke, microsoft changed their best app to be busy as hell and ugly as sin!

also, lol @ this, the weird function, the incorrect text, and the broken themeing

they did this a while ago, but its litterrally just a wrapper around msn.com/weather. When they first made the change it was full of ads too lol.

Its really loving bad and they're doing it to all their "apps".

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
"psych"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

çaïq

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009

remember lightswitch? lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

LieutenantFrost posted:

remember lightswitch? lol
It actually looked decent to me but it was built around silverlight

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

"skype"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
psych for business

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

psych for business

sounds like another fine product brought to market by CEO Nwabudike Morgan of Morgan Industries

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh also earlier today i discovered the FB app had randomly installed itself on my win11 PC. gently caress you microsoft.

fuckusoft

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

:toot:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
“tech giant brand synergy, baybe!”

laughing satya; zuck awkwardly baring his teeth in an attempt to emulate human emotion

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
edge finally pushed me too far. goddamn bing chat stuff and a coupon popup. going back to chome. rip my data privacy

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bing chat blows.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
michaelsoft bing blows

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

edge finally pushed me too far. goddamn bing chat stuff and a coupon popup. going back to chome. rip my data privacy

lol at thinking sending all your data to microsoft was any better than sending it all to google

use firefox dammit, or at least use ungoogled chromium

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

r u ready to WALK posted:

use firefox dammit,

lmbo

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

quit loving complaining about your lack of privacy

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it wasn’t an entirely earnest complaint in the “your operating system is a piece of poo poo” subforum

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
bing chat enterprise

BING CHAT ENTERPRISE

quote:

Microsoft’s Bing Chat Enterprise is now available in the Windows Copilot preview.

First introduced to Bing.com and the Edge sidebar in July, Bing Chat Enterprise allows companies to use Microsoft’s AI-powered chatbot without having to worry about their conversations being used to train its underlying model.

Now Microsoft will let companies access the chatbot in Windows Copilot as well, with the launch of it in preview for “eligible commercial customers in the Dev channel.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i could not disable all that bing sidebar poo poo fast enough when edge opened up for the first time in a while on my computer. edge opened because outlook reset the setting to open links in the default browser instead of edge again.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey, we noticed you manually set a bunch of preference to things that aren't our defaults, so we've gone ahead and reset them for you so you don't miss out on any of our value added services!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you want to get the most from windows, right?

don't worry, if you answered anything other than yes we'll forget in a day and ask you again.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

hey, we noticed you manually set a bunch of preference to things that aren't our defaults, so we've gone ahead and reset them for you so you don't miss out on any of our value added services!
Got it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

infernal machines posted:

God I loving hate this

Adobe: I see that you have a custom workspace set up that you always have active. You don't really like that though, right? You didn't mean to use that? We're gonna go ahead and return you to the NEW EXPERIENCE with 80% of the tools hidden and nothing where it was. And we'll do that about once a week. You're welcome!