Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

That’s where I bought mine. I thought that’s the one I had got :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

The perils of "that was somewhat obscure it's probably impossible to find" + discogs + plentiful $20 copies + late night impulsivity

e: this was entirely motivated by wandering around the House of Guitars two weeks ago and seeing... Armand Schaubroeck wandering around acting like he fuckin owns the place or something.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cabbages and Kings posted:

The perils of "that was somewhat obscure it's probably impossible to find" + discogs + plentiful $20 copies + late night impulsivity

e: this was entirely motivated by wandering around the House of Guitars two weeks ago and seeing... Armand Schaubroeck wandering around acting like he fuckin owns the place or something.

Lol, I got a small stack of his records including that one and haven't been assed to listen to them yet. That and it's me, the person who has lived here all their life and never gone to the House of Guitars. That rear end in a top hat.

Did you hit up any other record shops while in town?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 29, 2023

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
the jpegmafia prices (both retail and 2nd hand) are stupid. it is ridiculous how much LP! is worth for only being a few years old. glad my brother is obsessed and tends to get me the records before they sell out.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Turbinosamente posted:

Lol, I got a small stack of his records including that one and haven't been assed to listen to them yet. That and it's me, the person who has lived here all their life and never gone to the House of Guitars. That rear end in a top hat.

Did you hit up any other record shops while in town?

I didn't, I had limited time and the trip was mostly an excuse to get my dad out of the house to talk to him away from my mom.

I had considered going to Sound Source, but I had wanted to touch a bunch of used synths with no intention of buying any of them and then flip some records, and the GHOG scratched both itches so I just stopped for beer instead :shrug:

I listened to the 1st 20 mins of this on Youtube before ordering it. Weird, cool, I'm sure it's been sampled to hell and back, and that's probably what I'll do with it, too.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Soundburgers back in stock at Turntable Lab but not the yellow <:mad:>

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Did anyone else here pre-order any of the Dethklok vinyl from Revolver? I just noticed the ship date slipped from 8/25 to 9/1. Not the biggest deal, but I hope it stays somewhat accurate.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

haljordan posted:

Did anyone else here pre-order any of the Dethklok vinyl from Revolver? I just noticed the ship date slipped from 8/25 to 9/1. Not the biggest deal, but I hope it stays somewhat accurate.

Yep, I got an email from Revolver a day or two after the album released saying shipping had been pushed to the first of September and they were sorry Yada Yada Yada. No biggie, but yeah I'm also hopeful it actually ships around then and doesn't get delayed again.

But Revolver is generally pretty good with their shipping, my copy of Carnival of Souls arrived Monday and I ordered that on the 21st so I'm not too worried.

Not like the order I put in with Horrormerch for some records like...6 months ago and haven't heard poo poo about. Which I'm probably going to cancel pretty soon if I don't hear anything because I'm sick of God drat waiting for them to maybe get those records back in stock.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I didn't, I had limited time and the trip was mostly an excuse to get my dad out of the house to talk to him away from my mom.

I had considered going to Sound Source, but I had wanted to touch a bunch of used synths with no intention of buying any of them and then flip some records, and the GHOG scratched both itches so I just stopped for beer instead :shrug:

I listened to the 1st 20 mins of this on Youtube before ordering it. Weird, cool, I'm sure it's been sampled to hell and back, and that's probably what I'll do with it, too.

Aww that's a shame, maybe next time. I'll have to dig mine out monday and see if I jive with Armand's particular brand of weirdness. I don't have high hopes based on the amount of HOG tv ads I've been subjected to over the years. Why is the ad where he gets attacked by a gorilla stuck in my memory just as deeply as their Christmas ad??

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

Turbinosamente posted:

Aww that's a shame, maybe next time. I'll have to dig mine out monday and see if I jive with Armand's particular brand of weirdness. I don't have high hopes based on the amount of HOG tv ads I've been subjected to over the years. Why is the ad where he gets attacked by a gorilla stuck in my memory just as deeply as their Christmas ad??
For the same reason that I still remember the phone number for Shapiro and Shapiro—later just Jim “The Hammer” Shapiro—despite not having lived in the area for the past 25 years.

Armand's albums are unique, and all over the place. They're worth a listen, but I like weird stuff; your mileage may vary.

Also, I want this poster:

Pretzellogic fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 31, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Jimmy Buffett died...I wasn't particularly a fan of his music, but he seemed like a decent egg.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Read After Burning posted:

Jimmy Buffett died...I wasn't particularly a fan of his music, but he seemed like a decent egg.
Tried to pay my respects and couldn't make it through 2 songs.

But dude got rich playing music and helping boomers have a chill time without ever being milkshake ducked or #metoo-ed, so much respect and pour a little out.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I never liked Jimmy Buffet but a trip to the Caribbean made me hate the fucker. Inescapable.

I’m sure he’s great if you’re an alcoholic boomer tho

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerRIP/status/1697974890312221057

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I actually inherited a stack of Buffett's early records from my father-in-law when he got rid of his vinyl. He's not my favorite laid-back seventies singer-songwriter, but he's often better than he's given credit for. Come Monday is probably his most staid, least-wacky ballad, but it's still my favorite by a good margin.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Sep 2, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

The best Jimmy Buffet song is Bananas and Blow

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

From AI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3502478&pagenumber=1289&perpage=40#post534308411

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Jimmy Buffett was apparently was a fan of Club Dread and even went to a screening with Bill Paxton, so I don't think he took himself too seriously.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 2, 2023

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

I bet that has some hellacious tracking force.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
If you'd like some of that Buffett vibe but (like me) cannot stand Buffett, give my mans Sloppy Joe a try.

https://sloppyjoeandthecruise.bandcamp.com/album/keep-on-cruisin

Still 23 copies available on the Bandcamp, comes with rolling papers and an excellent booklet (zine). Here's my writeup from the ancient summer of 2020

pwn posted:

I also psot today’s haul, what for came in the mail today: Fresh from PIAPTK!

Aaand the long-lost Sloppy Joe and the Cruise - Keep on Cruisin’!

quote:

I REALLY love this record. And the response to the soft-rollout of it has been incredible. If the first pressing sells out, we will probably do another run asap. This record needs to get out there and be heard!...

It's Jimmy Buffet meets Brian Wilson Meets Jerry Garcia. It's clever, self aware, self-deprecating, beautiful, funny, sad, and infectious. It was recorded in 1975 by a Key West slacker named “Sloppy” Joe Flappens, and sat on a shelf until a year and a half ago, when he passed away and it was sent to Doug O'Donnell (former Dr. Dog guitarist) as a condition of Joe's will. Joe and Doug met in 2004 at a bar after Doug played in Key West, and they became penpals. Below is the teaser. The full story is in the zine that is included with the record. bookshelf at Joe's house for 40 years. See the teaser story below....

About the Record:
-First Pressing Limited to 250 copies in die-cut covers.
-On Yellow with red fleck sunset vinyl.
- Includes a zine with images and what little information is known about “Sloppy Joe” Flappens and the recording session
- Includes a pack of custom Keep on Cruisin' rolling papers

After a show in Key West, FL, in 2004, Dr. Dog guitarist Doug O'Donnell wandered into a run down dive bar called Chart Room, and ordered a drink. There we only a handful of lonely regulars in the bar, but one of them came over and sat down next to Doug after hearing that he was a touring musician. For the next two hours, this skinny, scraggly bearded man, although in his mid-50s had the world weariness of someone far older, unrolled his own incredible history (while Doug unrolled the $5 bills of his tour per diem to keep them both in rum and cokes). This man was “Sloppy” Joe Flappen. In the late 70's, (as he told it), Sloppy Joe was one of the kings of the Southern Florida Beach Bar scene. He had a band, “The Cruise”, that would pack houses all the area, long before Jimmy Buffet's “Margaritaville” would bring Tropical Rock to the masses. Buffett and Flappen were working the same circuit, and, while not exactly friends (there was, unshockingly, a “woman to blame” for this), they occasionally played together. Joe gave him a copy of the record that night (dubbed over a Dan Fogelberg cassette), which became a favorite in the Dr Dog tour van. Joe and Doug continued to be penpals for the next decade, but eventually lost touch. When Joe passed away in 2018, he left the master tapes to Keep on Cruisin' to Doug, along with a note asking him to get it out to anyone who might care. So that is what we are trying to do.

I also whored myself out to get the lathe cut bonus track, so if you do end up buying the LP and want to hear that bonus track (that is no longer available) drop me a PM and I'll see about doing a rip.

:patriot:

pwn fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 3, 2023

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

pwn posted:

If you'd like some of that Buffett vibe but (like me) cannot stand Buffett, give my mans Sloppy Joe a try.

Still 23 copies available on the Bandcamp, comes with rolling papers and an excellent booklet (zine). Here's my writeup from the ancient summer of 2020

I bought this on your recommendation long ago and it rules.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Merchbar is having a sale. Nothing mind blowing but I was able to grab some records for about $20 average including shipping, which I feel is a decent price. Saw a bunch of Residents records in there too @caligulamprey. Just be careful because back ordered stuff is mixed in there too and I have a feeling they are clearing out stock and the back orders will be canceled.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 4, 2023

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

been shopping recently

Haven't gotten a chance to listen to everything yet, but the LZ and prince records desperately need a cleaning. Should probably just go ahead and buy some kind of cleaning machine because I'm too distracted and busy with other poo poo to try and do it by hand piece by piece

the h&o is the first honest-to-god "found this in a goodwill for a dollar" pickup I've made in probably literal years

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Hell yeah Powerlight is one of my favorites.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Arcella posted:

Hell yeah Presto is one of my favorites.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

August's mix is here and up for listening. Funky weird world music stuff. Sept. mix is in the can but that is gonna be an all digital mix because I went down a Latinx hip hop rabbit hole and most of that stuff isn't on wax or is prohibitively expensive to get here.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-47-ft-pete-moss/

quote:

01 Sávila - Sávila
02 Project Gemini - Path Through the Forrest
03 Lady Aicha & Pisco Crane's Original Fulu Miziki of Kinshasha - Congo
04 Madlib - Afrosound Panorama
05 Mustafa Özkent - Çarsamba
06 John Cameron and the Camerons - Funky John
07 Rob - Forgive Us All
08 Erasmo Carlos - Mundo Căo
09 Os Mutantes - Ando Meio Desligado
10 Los Sospechos - Mirror Door
11 Yoruba Singers - Revolution Day
12 Boris Gardner - Breezin
13 Tadaski Misago and Tokyo Cuban Boys - Jongura Reggae
14 3rd World Band - Disco Hop
15 Santa Esmeralda Staring Leroy Gomez - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood/Esmeralda Suite
16 Jimmy Cliff - You Can Get it if You Really Want it

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
:siren: oh poo poo the motherfuckin Mustafa Özkent :siren:

remember when we all bought that record lol. I also have (a) Savila record, though not that one. Looks like a sick mix

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I just got another update e-mail about the Dethklok set that said the expected shipping date is now "early September 2023".

The gently caress you think it is now?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

esperantinc posted:

I just got another update e-mail about the Dethklok set that said the expected shipping date is now "early September 2023".

The gently caress you think it is now?

Dethkopter intercepted the shipment and blew it up. loving brutal

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

$8 records

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/the-go-gos-vacation-limited-edition-lp

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/kenny-rogers-the-gambler-lp

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/beastie-boys-root-down-lp

$10 records

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/the-who-sell-out-2lp-stereo-version

https://shop.udiscovermusic.com/collections/vinyl/products/paul-mccartney-amoeba-gig-2lp

Free shipping too.

Oh and I had a couple dollar off credits so it let me apply that as well.

sporklift fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 6, 2023

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Thanks, I picked up Vacation!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Mannnn, gimme my Art Devo box before putting out an entirely different box set where the 4th LP is post-Alan Myers and won't ever be listened to.

Got hit with an eviction notice 'cause they're tearing the place down to make way for condos. I've been trying to look at it as a needed change of scene 'case I've been living in the same apartment for almost 17 years at this point, but goddamn I don't wanna move 350+ records. :saddumb:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://y-o-u-n-g.com/releases/sampha-lahai/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YPtbploIyU

New Sampha record just went live on the pre-order!

a nice deluxe edition too with only 1,500 worldwide

has 2 exclusive tracks and a large booklet

dudes magical live. I saw him years ago in a club in SF with only 50 or so people. was just standing right at eye level with him as he played the piano.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

Mannnn, gimme my Art Devo box before putting out an entirely different box set where the 4th LP is post-Alan Myers and won't ever be listened to.

Got hit with an eviction notice 'cause they're tearing the place down to make way for condos. I've been trying to look at it as a needed change of scene 'case I've been living in the same apartment for almost 17 years at this point, but goddamn I don't wanna move 350+ records. :saddumb:

Awww come on, “Theme from Doctor Detroit” is pretty catchy!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Yeah I'm not rushing to buy what's essentially a greatest hits/misses collection. Cool packaging through.

FYI I heard on Michael Pilmer's stream yesterday that the Art Devo set is likely to arrive in early october because of a UK shipping delay or something. :sigh:

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art
Quick question for those who buy 12" singles (for DJing or w/e), have you noticed prices going up lately in your area? I'm in Berlin, and some stuff.. like, regular singles or represses, are going for 15EUR retail, nothing's cheaper than 12EUR pretty much. Didn't used to be like this even 1.5-2yrs ago, is this something that's affecting the US as well?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Vinyl in general has shot up quite a bit in price in the last two years. It sucks, man.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

one of the many reasons I've added CD collecting to my addiction
still great and easy to pick up old rock or folk or blues albums for a few bucks a pop but there are just too many albums that were just never pressed or are too damned expensive

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

pwn posted:

I dug this and bought a copy myself. A friend of mine just informed me that Sloppy Joe probably wasn't real and it's a Dr.Dog related project. Doesn't take anything away from it for me, though.

I spin the Klyfta album about once a week and that one has a fabricated background, too.

https://schlarb.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-pilgrimage-the-klyfta-tapes-1972-1975

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Recent pickups

I'm usually against Best Of albums since they're almost all radio hits or similar, but that Nick Cave one (alongside Bjork's Greatest Hits) probably stand as "perfect" compilations to me. Wonder what the general consensus is here on "Greatest Hits" LPs.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

one of the many reasons I've added CD collecting to my addiction
still great and easy to pick up old rock or folk or blues albums for a few bucks a pop but there are just too many albums that were just never pressed or are too damned expensive

Place I usually hit up has an amazing selection of used CD's for like $3 to $5 each. Usually end up leaving with twice as many CD's vs. vinyl whenever I go.