Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

definitely no reason to sue me for hundreds of millions of dollars in damages, i'm just an innocent bystander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
"listen man there's never a reason to shut the whole thing down if you can't handle an error just ignore it"
-the therac-25 dev team

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

and while the system was down, they continued to accept flight plans, but those were manually entered which has its own risks, since manual data entry can get hosed up.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

and while the system was down, they continued to accept flight plans, but those were manually entered which has its own risks, since manual data entry can get hosed up.

also this apparently

quote:

Yes it does. According to its chief executive, Martin Rolfe, “several layers of backup” exist, but apparently the dodgy data caused the secondary automatic processing system to be suspended “to ensure that no incorrect safety-related information could be presented to an air traffic controller or impact the rest of the air traffic system”.

idk this sounds like there's a lot more going on here than anyone's saying and i hope the AAIB or whoever does an actual formal report cuz it sounds like one of those "small bug in a small part of a large, interconnected, complex system causes a cascading failure" situations and those are always fascinating to read about

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

question for y'all - to preface: i'm a moron. i don't think secureboot is currently enabled on my system. are malware rootkits really that big of an issue for a home pc?

e: to clarify - i’m asking about uefi vs csm boot. my mobo is currently set to csm and i’m wondering if it’s really necessary to switch.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 6, 2023

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

tbh it seems that if you give unique locations non unique names you've already started loving up, but aviation stuff commonly uses the imperial system so suffering from dismal legacy decisions is about as expected

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
let’s all get really opinionated about a system we learned about five minutes ago entirely via a journalist’s third-hand attempt to explain a bespoke search algorithm

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Jabor posted:

(if you try to say "i will just anticipate everything" instead of making a choice then you're an idiot, lol. and you're just choosing to handle them in an arbitrary and unpredictable fashion.)

ah yes, the elon musk school of thought

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

"listen man there's never a reason to shut the whole thing down if you can't handle an error just ignore it"
-the therac-25 dev team

that’s the fun thing about functional safety - it is not only acceptable but required to enter design safe states when stuff is weird. design safe state in most cases means “turn off”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

infernal machines posted:

they forgot to use waypoint_real_escape_string() and this is what happened

waypoint_real_exit_airspace()

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

uninterrupted posted:

this is why business logic is an ongoing problem.

say you've got a pacemaker. pacemaker needs to deliver shocks based on rules passed to it by a config. that config is checked against, whatever, an ongoing EKG and drops shocks accordingly.
what's a good failure state? it stops running? it drops a shock every x minutes? can you even have an alarm blare on a pacemaker? do you get an email that your heart is dying?

ideal world, the pacemaker has some rules at the config change, where it rejects rules like "shock whenever heart rate is above 0" and keeps the old config. but also it should keep a log of old readings, and fail the same way if the new rules would make it shock a heart 1000% more than previous in an hour.
ALSO it should have some failsafe mechanism, where if it has a default mode it can fail to where it's delivering the minimal shocks needed to keep someone alive when some boundary has been crossed in BP/HR/whatever.
it's not just a matter of "fail open or fail closed", it's a matter of "where can we afford to fail" and "how do we isolate where we can fail with minimal repercussions and beat the absolute poo poo out of the data we will be processing" and "how do we know we are in the critical flow where failing means a corpse" and "how we handle being at a critical point where there's a non-zero chance a bug is murdering this patient".

im sure someone who's worked with embedded medical devices would say this is woefully incomplete, but the point is failure stakes are high here. and they're very different from whether or not your next tinder match had the same id as the previous one.

actual edit:

and the reason this is such a motherfucker is tools can't find this out of the box. insecure dependencies? Toss ECR and dependabot at your poo poo, they'll find all of it. insecure cryptography? most SAST will scream if you add "skip ssl check" options. most well used lib that touch sql will have basic sqli controls, along with sast behind it. business logic is the one thing where devsecopsproduct need to actually talk about poo poo that can go wrong and put up hand-crafted guardrails.

in the real world:
do the minimum to pass certification tests while keeping it as cheap as possible

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

uninterrupted posted:

can you even have an alarm blare on a pacemaker?

absolutely, that is a standard feature on every modern pacemaker

(and really annoying when you get woken up with a funny alarm clock sound every morning that you can't locate until you realize it's coming from your chest because battery is now at like 20%)

also to expand on your other things: there are two different things that can go in your chest, an ICD which is a device that shocks your heart back to sanity, and a pacemaker that gives small jolts every second. there are also devices can do both.

I assume the failure mode for the pacemaker side is the same that when it's (un)intentionally "turned off" by a strong magnet - keep a regular 60 bpm going and ignore all sensor inputs and custom programming. the failure mode for the ICD side is "don't loving shock if the sensor input is in any way vague", the heart has to have abnormal rhythms for several seconds before a shock is even considered

also the devices logs everything that's going on, so any incident can be examined later on

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 6, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

ymgve posted:

absolutely

can you customize it so it's the first 3 seconds of bon jovi's you give love a bad name?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

ymgve posted:

absolutely, that is a standard feature on every modern pacemaker

(and really annoying when you get woken up with a funny alarm clock sound every morning that you can't locate until you realize it's coming from your chest because battery is now at like 20%)

also to expand on your other things: there are two different things that can go in your chest, an ICD which is a device that shocks your heart back to sanity, and a pacemaker that gives small jolts every second. there are also devices can do both.

I assume the failure mode for the pacemaker side is the same that when it's (un)intentionally "turned off" by a strong magnet - keep a regular 60 bpm going and ignore all sensor inputs and custom programming. the failure mode for the ICD side is "don't loving shock if the sensor input is in any way vague", the heart has to have abnormal rhythms for several seconds before a shock is even considered

also the devices logs everything that's going on, so any incident can be examined later on

i appreciate this informative post

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

tbf i feel like provably handling every possible input sanely when the inputs are as well-defined as they are in this case isn't actually out of the question, especially with the timescales and budgets allotted to safety-critical systems like ATC
Not just this, but failing in a commensurate way is also doable ("hey fucko, I can't validate this route" instead of "death rattle")

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

uninterrupted posted:

-the therac-25 dev team

The On Error Resume Next school of programming

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Trabisnikof posted:

the company that made the software thinks they handled the error correctly:
oh boy

Shame Boy posted:

idk this sounds like there's a lot more going on here than anyone's saying and i hope the AAIB or whoever does an actual formal report cuz it sounds like one of those "small bug in a small part of a large, interconnected, complex system causes a cascading failure" situations and those are always fascinating to read about
yessss

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MSFT figured out how their key got leaked, I guess.

https://msrc.microsoft.com/blog/2023/09/results-of-major-technical-investigations-for-storm-0558-key-acquisition/

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Oneiros posted:

nah, if your air traffic control system's response to someone submitting a "malformed" flight plan is to completely shut down an entire loving country's air travel for a day

what if instead of to complete shutting down, it was to run at reduced capacity.
and instead of for a whole day it was for 3 and a bit hours.

that's not so bad a response.

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

you can have a signing key in your crash dumps if you want to. just a little treat

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Help, my sec has been truly hosed

https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/02/smart-chastity-cage-emails-passwords-location/

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

quote:

“Your cock is mine now,” the hacker told one of the victims, according to a researcher who discovered the hacking campaign at the time.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Not my cock!

...is what the uhh victim would say

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Mr. Nice! posted:

question for y'all - to preface: i'm a moron. i don't think secureboot is currently enabled on my system. are malware rootkits really that big of an issue for a home pc?

e: to clarify - i’m asking about uefi vs csm boot. my mobo is currently set to csm and i’m wondering if it’s really necessary to switch.

short answer probably not

"compatibility support module" lets your modern board, which would prefer to use uefi, run a not-modern operating systems that cannot because it was written before uefi was invented

i shouldn't think you'd need to choose "csm or uefi", since the option is usually "uefi or uefi but try csm if that doesn't work"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

post hole digger posted:

Not my cock!

...is what the uhh victim would say

lol

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
lol, lmao even
https://twitter.com/__silent_/status/1698345924840296801

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

flakeloaf posted:

short answer probably not

"compatibility support module" lets your modern board, which would prefer to use uefi, run a not-modern operating systems that cannot because it was written before uefi was invented

i shouldn't think you'd need to choose "csm or uefi", since the option is usually "uefi or uefi but try csm if that doesn't work"

on my mobo it's actually an either or setting. i haven't even checked if my main partition is mbr or not. regardless, keeping it on csm prevents me from getting nags about windows 11 since my computer is "incompatible" so as long as i'm not opening myself up to any real threats idgaf about switching. thanks for the info.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

..razor…

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

i wonder how they fixed the race condition allowing the key data to be present in a crash dump. in-process crash handler to zero out sensitive buffers?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

the hacker unlocks the cage and deletes all the stolen data as soon as they realize how horny the ostensible victim is getting over this conversation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rjmccall posted:

i wonder how they fixed the race condition allowing the key data to be present in a crash dump. in-process crash handler to zero out sensitive buffers?

i wonder if theres a way to flag memory as sensitive so the crash dump tool doesnt log it. maybe the race condition was not flagging the memory for protection before the crash and they added some lock to ensure protection.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

yeah, I’ve danced in crash handling and it’s always a loving mess. if they put the key in a separate heap it would be easier to avoid, but I would love to hear more about the structure they’ve got

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you mmap() a page to contain the key material and then pass MADV_DONTDUMP to madvise()

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i love the future

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

you mmap() a page to contain the key material and then pass MADV_DONTDUMP to madvise()

yeah. i was thinking that some passive thing would make the most sense, so it makes sense to something like this would exist, thanks

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

and if I'm not shitposting, I have no idea how to keep registers out of a coredump so good luck if you crashed while a thread was running an encryption algorithm and had key material in registers

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
imagine how that apt guy felt when they discovered a private key in a dump that microsofts own tools didnt flag

its like finding a fort knox of gold in a compost pile

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

m'advise()

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so it looks like MiniDumpWriteDump has a callback to opt out of including memory regions, but i don’t see a way for a process to request that internally; you’d need a supervisory process doing the dump to honor something in the failing process