Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

lol, remembering the bit in shriekcast where they talk about malfoy in book 2 being dialled way too high on the hate crimes, just screaming slurs at the other children in the corridor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
flailing my arms. Moshing into all the furniture. Doing that dance where it looks like I'm scratching at the ground because I'm so loving pumped when I hear that Harry Potter theme come on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vim Fuego posted:

Harry Potter is good. Just finished the second book and it's a delightful magical journey into a world of whimsy and wizardry. It's no wonder the series captured the hearts of millions worldwide!

I personally like the first four when they feel like weird fantasy roald Dahl books with more world set up but i think they get bad or annoying once they start getting more serious and darker and poo poo. One, i don’t think that poo poo held up as well and while i think Rowling had an ending in mind probably by book 3, it never felt like a great journey to get there. I also think the darker tone doesn’t help the loose weird Dahl esc world building. Like the weird house elf poo poo works when the world is just weird and wacky but the second you have serious facists show up and torture and murder and etc, it falls apart. The problem to me is Rowling wants both, she wants the grim dark tone but keep the world wizard world clean and wacky and not change the outlook of it to match the story, like it’s never a problem that half the government bends the knee to the Nazis or that the house elf freedom stuff is treated as a joke, a smarter book would probably have at least address that poo poo or make it a plot line. I don’t know how to describe it. Like it’s a massive tonal clash. I meant you can be weird and funny and have a darker tone. The Witcher books have that. But most of the books I like, have enough self confidence to either pick a lane or bridge the gap.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 10, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I think Quiditch is a terribly accurate metaphor for the entire series. It's fun and quirky and make absolutely no sense if your spend more than a minute thinking about it.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's kind of amazing the negative character development that Harry gets over the series. In the first book, he has a huge rant about how they need to stop worrying about expulsions or losing house points because if Voldemort kills everyone then none of that will matter; by the sixth book, he disbands the learn-to-not-get-murdered-by-Voldemort group so that he can spend the time on the thing that's actually important: the Quidditch Cup. (He reasons that the DA won't be needed now that Umbridge is gone, but her replacement is known to be both a Death Eater and a terrible teacher — and even if it were someone good, would a self-defense club really be too redundant to be worth running in the middle of an open civil war with a genocidal cult?)

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
you can like Harry Potter and be cool, or you can be a good person w/good values and constantly tell everyone how good you are. There is no in between

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
*to someone who doesn't know their Hogwarts house*: wow, virtue signaling much!?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Judging the absolute poo poo out of anyone who doesn’t know their patronus right now

E: also postin from a long rear end plane ride right now and thread favourite podcast just dropped, I’m so thankful and also lollin at them figuring out what the actual plot of Catching Fire is

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 12, 2023

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Air Skwirl posted:

I think Quiditch is a terribly accurate metaphor for the entire series. It's fun and quirky and make absolutely no sense if your spend more than a minute thinking about it.

see thats not even a bad thing ro harry potter works best when it was basicaly stupid willy wonka rules world where everything is just absurdism and weird and new and has a pastiche of fantasy poo poo and was about a bunch of characters loving around and having moments. it stopped being interesting when it got grimdark.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
it's not as though real sports and games have, and have always had, tons of reasonable well-thought out rules anyway. the problem with quidditch is that Rowling hated writing it, not how silly the game is

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
My favorite dumb thing about Quidditch remains that there's an extremely lengthy and detailed list of actions that are officially recognized as fouls, and that players are not allowed to know what's on the full list of official fouls because "it might give them ideas."

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Asterite34 posted:

Sadly Wizards never developed a prophylactic spell, finding it much more convenient to just post-coitus cast a variant of the Killing Curse that only affects sperm.

Fetus Deletus

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rockstar Massacre posted:

it's not as though real sports and games have, and have always had, tons of reasonable well-thought out rules anyway. the problem with quidditch is that Rowling hated writing it, not how silly the game is

i am surprised by that because its the better parts of the earlier books. quditch is a sport id probably watch if it was real and i am one of those non sports people.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Judging the absolute poo poo out of anyone who doesn’t know their patronus right now

E: also postin from a long rear end plane ride right now and thread favourite podcast just dropped, I’m so thankful and also lollin at them figuring out what the actual plot of Catching Fire is

Lol-ing at Liz going "it would be funny" and then describing the plot of Catching Fire.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

My favorite dumb thing about Quidditch remains that there's an extremely lengthy and detailed list of actions that are officially recognized as fouls, and that players are not allowed to know what's on the full list of official fouls because "it might give them ideas."

See, that is an actually kinda funny Discworld-esque side detail, do more of that and less slavery apologism and dull legalese, please

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am surprised by that because its the better parts of the earlier books. quditch is a sport id probably watch if it was real and i am one of those non sports people.

I’ve seen irl quidditch. It does not live up to expectations

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The kind with people hopping around with a normal broom between their legs? Because yeah gently caress that.

Now have them on dirtbikes and have the Snitch be a gold-painted FPV drone, then it might be as interesting as the books

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Icedude posted:

The kind with people hopping around with a normal broom between their legs? Because yeah gently caress that.

Now have them on dirtbikes and have the Snitch be a gold-painted FPV drone, then it might be as interesting as the books

The very same. Queens University Intercollegiate Quidditch Club.

One thing I will hand to them, it’s kinda hilarious that the snitch is just a person in a high vis safety vest rushing around the field with two other people trying to own them

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

W.T. Fits posted:

You know, the goon who occasionally points out the series is a searing satire of liberal centrism completely by accident has a good point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Of course not, flying brooms are not a real thing so dumb college kids running around with a broom between their legs in a somehow worse version of Soccer is going to obviously look like poo poo. Ultimate Frisbee players look down on Quidditch.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
A bunch of teams have renamed it "quadball" because apparently they enjoy it enough while not wanting to have anything to do with Rowling

Which raises the question, if every time you tell someone you play quadball you then immediately have to explain it's like quidditch but you don't call it that, how much have you actually renamed it. Though it's more opportunity to insult jk rowling at least

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Angepain posted:

A bunch of teams have renamed it "quadball" because apparently they enjoy it enough while not wanting to have anything to do with Rowling

Which raises the question, if every time you tell someone you play quadball you then immediately have to explain it's like quidditch but you don't call it that, how much have you actually renamed it. Though it's more opportunity to insult jk rowling at least

Just be a normal college dork and play Ultimate Frisbee or hacky sack or any of a dozen other sports that don't involve running around with a broom between your legs but are still niche enough the actual jocks won't be good at it, so you can feel special.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Air Skwirl posted:

Just be a normal college dork and play Ultimate Frisbee or hacky sack or any of a dozen other sports that don't involve running around with a broom between your legs but are still niche enough the actual jocks won't be good at it, so you can feel special.

I'll bet you anything no collegiate quiddich player has smoked the devils lettuce.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Asterite34 posted:

See, that is an actually kinda funny Discworld-esque side detail, do more of that and less slavery apologism and dull legalese, please

You beat me to it!

Man, I miss Terry.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Air Skwirl posted:

let people have fun

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Why not skip a step and just magic the poo from your colon

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

What will the rich families make the house elves clean up then?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

let people have fun

Muggle Quidditch makes Ultimate Frisbee look like NBA play off games.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I feel like it's a game played by geeks with a lot of rules-lawyering and I will not be disabused of this notion

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Feldegast42 posted:

let people have fun

no

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

bobjr posted:

What will the rich families make the house elves clean up then?

Don't worry, all the kids who are under age to use magic will still be making GBS threads on the floor constantly

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
When I went to a large state school, even the ultimate frisbee team was composed mostly of people who'd played sports in high school.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Yeah the ultimate frisbee teams absolutely have jocks now

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The year is 2031. Collegiate quidditch is dominated by jocks. Nerds are forced to find an escalating series of dorkier and more embarrassing sports in which they can still be competitive. The current hotness is final fantasy blitzball, in which players are required to make exaggerated swimming motions with their arms and glooping faces like they're fish.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Angepain posted:

Yeah, at the very least even if you like some of the unique rules enough to keep playing, at the very least get rid of the loving brooms between your legs. That can't actually add anything to the game and it is 100% there because the game is about roleplaying that you are flying a broom like in Harry Potter.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
they should do it on bikes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

YaketySass posted:

they should do it on bikes

That would actually look kinda cool and probably stupidly dangerous, so I'm favor of it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

pretty sure motorbike polo is already a thing.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
do it on bikes but keep the brooms and use them for wheel sabotage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JUn8MsEyPs