Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given Bob and Buddy are also generic names, Bob's a common place holder and Buddy is a common way to address young boys without actually calling them by name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Oh drat the new Ghibli movie, The Boy and The Heron, just got its US release date. The weekend of December 8th is going to be a good weekend for movies.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Das Boo posted:

So admittedly I haven't read a lot of Rand, but wouldn't a genius, self-made inventor who operates out of his own private island outside the meddling of the US government and declares his talent and hard work make him superior to those "handed" opportunity be the endgame for her hero and not the origin of her villain? Isn't Syndrome the Ubermensch and Supers the undeserving ruling class just born into it in his eyes?

Admittedly, I haven't read a lot of Rand.

Yeah the villain giving a pseudo randian speech has always seemed like a very odd criticism to me

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Precambrian posted:

A thing people don't really pick up about Syndrome is that he's not the first international arms dealer who trades in the rhetoric of equality. "God made man, Colt made them equal" was a marketing slogan for Colt revolvers, on the idea that the real inequality was people born with superior size and strength. Which is to say, preying on male insecurity to sell a shitload of guns.

I think that aspect, that Bob and Buddy are both men dealing with their own anxieties of inadequacy, their bruised egos and an inability to let go of the past, pushes back on the Objectivism critique. You can address your insecurities by amassing wealth and power or you can find strength and meaning in your family and friends, and the Randian approach definitely trends more towards the former than the latter.

This is a real good post! The true villain of The Incredibles is toxic masculinity.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Das Boo posted:

This is a real good post! The true villain of The Incredibles is toxic masculinity.

I think the film actually has a smart complication on that, in that, yes, there's toxic masculinity in Bob and Buddy's drives, but it's not just that. I remember seeing a post about how Bob is too inflexible, unwilling to accept that his life has changed "because it's for a bad reason," while at the same time Helen is too flexible, trying to hard shift into suburban normalcy even though it's completely irrational, and, importantly, they're both not great at communicating these issues. The end result is that their kids feel lost and confused in their lives, with their daughter feeling helpless and socially useless and their son basically having ADHD in a school system that is very much not built for him, situations neither parent can handle well because they're too stuck on their own way of dealing with the superhero issue. There's a social problem that has created disharmony in the family, and the story is about the family finding harmony as a way to face the social problem.

Bob's our main character, so he's got the much more dramatic arc of making mistakes and then amends, but Helen's attitude of aggressive compliance is also toxic in its own way. She was a motorcycle riding, criminal-punching daredevil who became a 50's housewife the minute her old role became illegal—I don't buy that that's the healthiest way to go about things, and I think her learning to push back, like flying a jet to confront her husband's suspected infidelity head on, is part of her coming to accept that she shouldn't have to force herself and her family to be as normal as possible. Maybe they have to find unique ways to accommodate Dash's energy, maybe they have to do more to help Violet feel empowered to be herself, maybe you have to accept that unique people have unique needs, just as much as they have unique talents.

It's a real shame that Incredibles 2 didn't really run with that, because I think Evelyn and Voyd both give excellent contrasts for Helen's story: you've got a young, optimistic hero who wants to pursue the life that Helen put away to become a housewife and you have a woman who's burnt out from trying to meet everyone else's needs until she started to resent them. They pursued a narrative of heteronormativity a bit with Bob's story as Mr. Mom, but it's mostly in his story, and it's mostly just for jokes rather than making it the main theme of compliance with social expectations and how you have to learn to balance your dreams against supporting your partner's dreams. Instead, Helen gets a lot of action scenes and main plot stuff, but she's not really developing as a character from the start of the film.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There's probably something in the idea that the traditional concept of a midlife crisis for men is a return to that level of youthful toxicity, which is almost exactly what Bob does in the film.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Sir Lemming posted:

You would think that, *rad_Bird*

OH SHI-

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Def a point there with Helen being underused in the sequel besides as basically affirmative action heroine. While Bob's whole thing with the kids feels like it especially hits home for parents of kids with special needs, given the end result is basically about family being more than just blood, and sometimes the first thing you need to do is see a professional in the field.

Speaking of, Edna Mode is definitely the roaring fire in the movies' engine. Where do I even start?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

been a lil while since I checked on Elemental. it's now at 480M worldwide and could pass Puss in Boots The Last Wish this weekend depending on international BO. apparently it's gone back into a lot of domestic theaters this past week (like 2000+ screens) and that's why it's got a final lil spike. that would put it at 5th all-time this decade of animated films, behind Mario, The Rise of Gru, Spider-Verse 2, and Demon Slayer

it'll air on D+ in the US on September 13th

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Miyazaki is never retiring

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1700083295508152710

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

He's the guy that'll be found keeled over at his desk, which I suspect at this point that is what he really wants.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Good for him. It's very funny that he has said he will retire so many times, but really there is nothing he would rather be doing with time. Dude is tsundere for animation.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Clint Eastwood hasn’t stopped and he’s in his 90s. Can’t stop Miyazaki either.

I think he’s like a lot of athletes who just keep playing: it’s what they’ve know all their life and they still enjoy it, so can’t stop, even if he knows he should relax a bit.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1700111627213836613?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I've never been less surprised

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoPair posted:

I've never been less surprised

Little bit of both. I was really thinking this might be the one he goes out on, but this is also not surprising either.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wittgen posted:

Oh drat the new Ghibli movie, The Boy and The Heron, just got its US release date. The weekend of December 8th is going to be a good weekend for movies.

the US distributor also just dropped the first trailer, the japan release was completely radio silent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcgvMMJyaQU

still doesn't give a great deal away

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
all these injured people had to sue someone to cover the cost of their medical bills, and the supers (backed by the federal government) were probably the best bet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Watching Owl House (niece cosplayed as some apparently very obscure character at DragonCon and I'm trying to find who it is—evidently nobody introduced in S1), and it's really good! Apparently S3 ended in shenanigans but honestly I'm not super surprised Disney might have gotten cold feet about some of the content, lots of their constituency is still pretty weird about witch stuff. Disappointing in 2023 but here we are.

Favorite thing is all the dunking it does on Harry Potter

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Watching Owl House (niece cosplayed as some apparently very obscure character at DragonCon and I'm trying to find who it is—evidently nobody introduced in S1), and it's really good! Apparently S3 ended in shenanigans but honestly I'm not super surprised Disney might have gotten cold feet about some of the content, lots of their constituency is still pretty weird about witch stuff. Disappointing in 2023 but here we are.

Favorite thing is all the dunking it does on Harry Potter

Though they initially suggested otherwise, IIRC the creator ultimately concluded that was the queer content that was more the problem.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lol. Figures

E: I about died at the m’lady fedora guy joke

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 10, 2023

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Owl house is a show where Season 3 has the best episode, the worst episode, and a average but good conclusion to a show.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Despite being a late addition I did like the Collector's arc. Their reaction when they realised what it meant for an organic being to die was a very strong moment given they'd never had to face consequences in that way before.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Pixeltendo posted:

Owl house is a show where Season 3 has the best episode, the worst episode, and a average but good conclusion to a show.

A rare trifecta indeed

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Finally got around to watching TMNT Mutant Mayhem and I absolutely loved it. Don't know why people were "meh" about it.

It was funny, I didn't mind the references/modern slang (it's a teen movie, they should be a product of their time), the animation was stunning, and the story wasn't half bad and of course the chemistry between the turtles (and honestly the entire cast) was great.

Shame it didn't do better, I hope that doesn't discourage such efforts in the future.

Edit:also I think my favourite line in the movie was in the beginning where they're hiding in the subway and some human says "I love being young and being able to go where I want" or something like that. It was delivered perfectly.

kiminewt fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Sep 10, 2023

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Do people expect Uzumaki to really release "late 2023" or are we headed for another delay?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kiminewt posted:

Finally got around to watching TMNT Mutant Mayhem and I absolutely loved it. Don't know why people were "meh" about it.

It was funny, I didn't mind the references/modern slang (it's a teen movie, they should be a product of their time), the animation was stunning, and the story wasn't half bad and of course the chemistry between the turtles (and honestly the entire cast) was great.

Shame it didn't do better, I hope that doesn't discourage such efforts in the future.

Edit:also I think my favourite line in the movie was in the beginning where they're hiding in the subway and some human says "I love being young and being able to go where I want" or something like that. It was delivered perfectly.

A Paramount+ series, a game, and a sequel movie have already been confirmed for it so I'd say it still did well enough

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Oh wow. I saw it "only" made like 100m and figured there's no way it cost much less than that. I see now the budget was like 70-80m.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Elman posted:

Do people expect Uzumaki to really release "late 2023" or are we headed for another delay?

Rumor is it's gonna be airing through the month of October a la springing Housing Complex C on us last year, but I don't know if there's an official announcement yet.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
every few years this shows up in my recommended videos on youtube and every few years I immediately click and watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

because Worthless is one of the best musical numbers in an animated film ever, despite how incredibly, incredibly hosed up it is

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Captain Invictus posted:

every few years this shows up in my recommended videos on youtube and every few years I immediately click and watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

because Worthless is one of the best musical numbers in an animated film ever, despite how incredibly, incredibly hosed up it is

what the gently caress, this showed up in my recs again today too

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
i can't take this kind of pressure

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I just can't
I just can't
I just can't seem to get started

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

kiminewt posted:

I don't know anyone who was meh about it and I'm gladdened for it.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

kiminewt posted:

Oh wow. I saw it "only" made like 100m and figured there's no way it cost much less than that. I see now the budget was like 70-80m.

Pixar and Disney both seem to have some insane budget bloat for their animation.

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
iirc it's that Disney and Pixar include salaries of people who would be working at the studio whether or not the project is going, like producers

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
It's hard to claim that a film that makes $100m-$300m is a loss if you don't...

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Turtles was extra cheap cause its made at studios in Canada that are vendors so it's much more like a vfx relationship where only ppl directly working on the project can bill to that project, and the vendor is then responsible for finding other ways to pay for its support staff and pipeline team, etc. Those who are billed on the project also get a 40% rebate from the government through provincial and federal tax credits that does not help the vendor but goes straight back to the client.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm extremely glad that Mutant Mayhem is good because it's Mini Boat's new obsession

The soundtrack is great but ante up showing up in kids stuff always makes me laugh given it's a massively aggressive song about violently mugging people in the street. I've put the radio edit on his car playlist and every other word is censored lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Party Boat posted:

I'm extremely glad that Mutant Mayhem is good because it's Mini Boat's new obsession

The soundtrack is great but ante up showing up in kids stuff always makes me laugh given it's a massively aggressive song about violently mugging people in the street. I've put the radio edit on his car playlist and every other word is censored lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pDF-OBJCt8