Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

been having a good time with chredge for the last few years but it might be time to do firefox again.

it has been that time continuously for the last 18 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

naah, chredge has been great, but it is getting real clear that microsoft was unhappy with that state of affairs. considering how poo poo everything bing has always been i struggle to imagine how they got into a position to gently caress around with so much of windows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is there a mod for windows that makes the windows key search worthwhile?

I NEVER want that start menu search to search the internet

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

2 freakin’ bad

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

get Microsoft’s own powertoys and alt-space becomes the good search shortcut

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

there's so much good stuff in powertoys in general

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i hate that i paid real actual money for start11, a program that makes the start menu not be an adware riddled piece of poo poo. but i don’t regret it.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

jesus WEP posted:

i hate that i paid real actual money for start11, a program that makes the start menu not be an adware riddled piece of poo poo. but i don’t regret it.

you’re just thinking different(tm)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

just use powertoys run

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

time for me to send in my pr for bing integration in powertoys run

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:worship:

Jenny Agutter posted:

get Microsoft’s own powertoys and alt-space becomes the good search shortcut

:worship:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

echinopsis posted:

Don't you want to directed to a webpage when you type in 'sound' instead of the system settings for sound?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

echinopsis posted:

Voidtools Everything

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lmfao at having to do this poo poo to begin with

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

~Coxy posted:

Voidtools Everything

if i could combine the powertoys shift-space spotlight thing with Everything search i would be in heaven

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Don't you want to directed to a webpage when you type in 'sound' instead of the system settings for sound?

i've never understood people who search direct from the start menu, especially just to access poo poo that's aleady in the start menu. i just pin all my common apps to the taskbar, pin the less common apps to the front of the start menu and leave the rest wherever.

that said i have over the years memorised a lot of poo poo so i can just Win+R and slam it in (e.g. cmd, mstsc, diskmgmt.msc, secpol.msc, etc.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i've never understood people who search direct from the start menu, especially just to access poo poo that's aleady in the start menu. i just pin all my common apps to the taskbar, pin the less common apps to the front of the start menu and leave the rest wherever.

that said i have over the years memorised a lot of poo poo so i can just Win+R and slam it in (e.g. cmd, mstsc, diskmgmt.msc, secpol.msc, etc.)

I have to interact with tons of computers that aren't mine and that I cannot implement the suite of shortcuts I would otherwise have.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it’s far quicker to just type mouse to get mouse settings. when I was younger I used to explore the start menu for fun and know where everything was. now I just don’t have that energy and so just want to get the thing immediately and not have to find it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i guess i'm just set in my ways, also i've never found the search to be very consistent and sometimes it does that thing where it shows search results and you go to pick one of them but then suddenly it shows different results.

whenever i have to touch another computer i just do it via winrm/powershell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
fair point that the search totally sucks lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
on operating systems that aren't piles of poo poo designed by malevolent assholes you can press a key (or key combination) and start typing the thing you want like "term"(inal) or "fil"(es) or "tex"(t editor) and hit enter and the search results come back so fast that you don't even need to wait for the screen, you just get the program up and running immediately and you don't even need to move ur hands from the keyboard

it's pretty sweet

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Sapozhnik posted:

on operating systems that aren't piles of poo poo designed by malevolent assholes

but that's all of them? :confused:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

on operating systems that aren't piles of poo poo designed by malevolent assholes you can press a key (or key combination) and start typing the thing you want like "term"(inal) or "fil"(es) or "tex"(t editor) and hit enter and the search results come back so fast that you don't even need to wait for the screen, you just get the program up and running immediately and you don't even need to move ur hands from the keyboard

it's pretty sweet

in truly great operating systems, you can just be on a screen like this and start typing. no text field, no visual indicator that typing is possible, just start writing. you're free.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

leaked screenshot of the redesigned windows 12 start menu

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Pinterest Mom posted:

in truly great operating systems, you can just be on a screen like this and start typing. no text field, no visual indicator that typing is possible, just start writing. you're free.

when i bought a laptop with windows 8 on it i thought someone must have played an elaborate joke on me

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well-read undead posted:

when i bought a laptop with windows 8 on it i thought someone must have played an elaborate joke on me

Someone did. It was you!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

well-read undead posted:

they did, his name was Steve ballmer

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Sagebrush posted:

Someone did. It was you!

:negative:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

they did, his name was Steve ballmer

developers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

r u ready to WALK posted:

man i wish

at least things are labelled and visually distinct representations of something

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

now I want to AI upscale / go outside the borders with this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

developers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hell yeah, full-screen start owns. loads of space to pin all your regular poo poo to and with muscle memory you can access poo poo fast as gently caress, just hit winkey, flick your cursor to the tile and smash that like mouse button

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I turned off the necessary security feature required to instaLL WINDOWS 11 in the bios and windows is back to telling me I can't install windows 11

:smugmrgw: it's a very good feelings

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I always thought windows would be better as a point and click adventure

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

echinopsis posted:

I turned off the necessary security feature required to instaLL WINDOWS 11 in the bios and windows is back to telling me I can't install windows 11

:smugmrgw: it's a very good feelings

as they move 10 into EoL/servixe there’s even more security features you won’t need to worry about

not that im advocating 11 vs 10 or anything but it’s kind of okay or at least unfortunately required for more and more crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005