Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

well, sure, but ultimately a huge fraction of people wind up with terrible dental health, and associated financial and physical pain during their lifetimes. it may be a problem solvable by a some sufficiently puritanical regime of care, but unless we're creating a new branch of the police for it that's not happening

what? i just meant that people should brush their teeth because mouths get dirty, regardless of cavities.

you can be the most consistently perfect at brushing and flossing and still get cavities. you can have extremely poor dental hygiene and never get one in your life. i've never had a cavity but i've also still had to spend a money on various dental procedures and surgeries over the years. the solution to it is to include dental care as part of universal health care (:canada:) or otherwise have the government/taxes cover the cost, not to invent a bacterial lozenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

why is a lozenge like that worse than fluoride in the water or applied periodically at the dentist? seems like a fine intervention

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i am pretty convinced this is one of those conversations where everyone is broadly correct about whatever they think the point is, only it's different points

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
also waterpiks exist

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

And you’d still need to floss regardless

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kliras posted:

also waterpiks exist

are they any good?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

And you’d still need to floss regardless

flossing is fake.

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

are they any good?

yeah. hate to Recommend A Product but my dentist went from tsking at me every visit to saying nice things about my teeth and I haven’t had a cavity since I started using it.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

NihilCredo posted:

are they any good?

they're good for getting into spots that floss can't reach (like gum pockets) but they don't replace floss or brushing

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
yeah they're good

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I bought a waterpik but just never use it, unclear how this will affect my teeth going forward

mystes
May 31, 2006

There has been research into replacing people's mouth bacteria multiple times I think but it has never managed to make it to the market

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Dijkstracula posted:

I bought a waterpik but just never use it, unclear how this will affect my teeth going forward

i think you need to keep buying more until your teeth improve

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

bm3719 15 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

People with IQs below 91 walk among us. Not sure why Project 100000 gets so much criticism of the moralizing type. Sure, it turned out to be a bad idea in retrospect and should have been a smaller trial run first, but the idea isn't crazy if you put yourself into McNamara's time and place. I could easily see myself thinking that systems were autopilot enough that the IQ of the body component of modern warfare to be of lesser importance. And if that were in fact true, we'd have found a way for such individuals to contribute. Is it more moral for the inevitable sacrifices of warfare to be solely among a society's higher IQ individuals?
In the end, it turned out that those of lower IQ would continue having less of a productive role in society--something that was already accelerating at the time. Perhaps that's the real tragedy here. We have an oversupply of those only capable of simple labor. Maybe trying more "x's Morons" ideas isn't such a bad idea?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

fritz posted:

People with IQs below 91 walk among us. Not sure why Project 100000 gets so much criticism of the moralizing type. Sure, it turned out to be a bad idea in retrospect and should have been a smaller trial run first, but the idea isn't crazy if you put yourself into McNamara's time and place. I could easily see myself thinking that systems were autopilot enough that the IQ of the body component of modern warfare to be of lesser importance. And if that were in fact true, we'd have found a way for such individuals to contribute. Is it more moral for the inevitable sacrifices of warfare to be solely among a society's higher IQ individuals?
In the end, it turned out that those of lower IQ would continue having less of a productive role in society--something that was already accelerating at the time. Perhaps that's the real tragedy here. We have an oversupply of those only capable of simple labor. Maybe trying more "x's Morons" ideas isn't such a bad idea?

what a way to learn what that was

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

Maybe trying more "x's Morons" ideas isn't such a bad idea?

Elon's Morons have been paying for blue checkmarks in droves, so the concept seems to have some merit.

Also: Star Citizen

mystes
May 31, 2006

I can't tell if they're saying "we should try to make more attempts to use technology to give learning disabled people jobs because it was a good idea even if this specific instance didn't turn out well" or they're saying "we should make try to make more attempts to send learning disabled people to their deaths because it turns out they don't sufficiently contribute to capitalism" but since it's hn I'm not sure I want to know the answer

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

mystes posted:

I can't tell if they're saying "we should try to make more attempts to use technology to give learning disabled people jobs because it was a good idea even if this specific instance didn't turn out well" or they're saying "we should make try to make more attempts to send learning disabled people to their deaths because it turns out they don't sufficiently contribute to capitalism" but since it's hn I'm not sure I want to know the answer

I read it more like the latter so "they are not pulling their weight so we need to find a way to exploit in some way"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

fritz posted:

Yup, just straight Nazi ideology. Which is not surprising of course, the Nazis were heavily inspired by the US, and that kind of thinking has remained popular there.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I love telling people in the tech bubble my IQ is 92. Sometimes the disgust is visible, sometimes it's an almost theatrical stank face

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

I love telling people in the tech bubble my IQ is 92. Sometimes the disgust is visible, sometimes it's an almost theatrical stank face

If you mention emotional intelligence they will absolutely lose their mind and start hurling furniture.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
is there a MENSA equivalent for people with (generally self-reported) high emotional intelligence

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

my iq is ‘92, yeh thats one hundred ninety two :smug:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Internet Janitor posted:

is there a MENSA equivalent for people with (generally self-reported) high emotional intelligence

I believe the official test is to go though your reddit comments and if you have ever said "who's cutting onions" you have zero emotional intelligence.

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

lobsterminator posted:

I believe the official test is to go though your reddit comments and if you have ever said "who's cutting onions" you have zero emotional intelligence.

i'm not crying you're crying

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

talldatethrow 2 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

For anyone that cares, I recommend trying a 90 day fresh vegetable juice diet. Not pasteurized store bought junk. Juice 10 lbs of vegetables a day and drink them in one or two sittings (will make a gallon). Drink it for 90 days. If you're not overweight, pay attention to calories and adjust to maintain weight. If you're overweight, just drink a gallon a day you'll survive.
Carrots, cucumber, celery, beets. 90 days.
I think this is an experiment everyone should do at least once in their life.
Tldr; I think fresh vegetable juice and cooked ground beef is the ideal diet long term.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Because I have tried it many times and my body has some intense urge for beef, and ground beef IMO is the easiest to make, digest, and cheapest and has fats that are good for you IMO.
Some people think poorly of ground beef because "you don't know what's in it!" But moments later will tell you it's important to eat all parts of the animal because they have different nutrients. Ok then, sounds like ground beef is a good way to get different portions a butcher doesn't think sells well. Give me some foot meat, bring it on.
There's also the fact that beef is basically the one food you could eat alone 365 days a year your whole life and get everything you need. That doesn't apply to vegetables or chicken or anything else really.
Tldr; many people would say someone that eats a HUGE salad and some meat everyday, no breads or processed garbage would be healthy. Well, drinking 10 lbs of vegetables and having some ground beef is basically that except you're drinking more vegetables even that most people could ever eat in a day.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fritz posted:

For anyone that cares, I recommend trying a 90 day fresh vegetable juice diet. Not pasteurized store bought junk. Juice 10 lbs of vegetables a day and drink them in one or two sittings (will make a gallon). Drink it for 90 days. If you're not overweight, pay attention to calories and adjust to maintain weight. If you're overweight, just drink a gallon a day you'll survive.
Carrots, cucumber, celery, beets. 90 days.
I think this is an experiment everyone should do at least once in their life.
Tldr; I think fresh vegetable juice and cooked ground beef is the ideal diet long term.

lol im going to ignore everything else here and focus in on one particular thing: why GROUND beef wtf

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

post hole digger posted:

lol im going to ignore everything else here and focus in on one particular thing: why GROUND beef wtf

because it's the easiest to make, digest, and cheapest and has fats that are good for you IMO.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

post hole digger posted:

fritz posted:

Because I have tried it many times and my body has some intense urge for beef, and ground beef IMO is the easiest to make, digest, and cheapest and has fats that are good for you IMO.
Some people think poorly of ground beef because "you don't know what's in it!" But moments later will tell you it's important to eat all parts of the animal because they have different nutrients. Ok then, sounds like ground beef is a good way to get different portions a butcher doesn't think sells well. Give me some foot meat, bring it on.
There's also the fact that beef is basically the one food you could eat alone 365 days a year your whole life and get everything you need. That doesn't apply to vegetables or chicken or anything else really.
Tldr; many people would say someone that eats a HUGE salad and some meat everyday, no breads or processed garbage would be healthy. Well, drinking 10 lbs of vegetables and having some ground beef is basically that except you're drinking more vegetables even that most people could ever eat in a day.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
ground beef is definitely easier to drink than most other forms of beef

mystes
May 31, 2006

if you juice the vegetables you're missing out on the fiber so clearly the solution is to put all the vegetables and the ground beef into a blender and make a smoothie

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

my body has some intense urge for beef

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good old fashion min-maxing, naturally.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
brb drinking 10 lbs of vegetables and cramming a fistful of ground beef into my hideous maw

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
sometimes i try to imagine the sort of person who insists on doing every aspect of his life Optimally

it must be exhausting to live like that

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

"surprised" isnt really the right word, because im not surprised guys still do it (and its almost always guys) , but i really thought that whole tim ferriss type cult of optimization type thing sorta peaked around like 2015-2016. it seems almost quaint now

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Armitag3 posted:

my body has some intense urge for beef
the poster's dilemma

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

you must be maximally efficient so that the blades of capitalism can grind you in to a fine slurry more easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

post hole digger posted:

"surprised" isnt really the right word, because im not surprised guys still do it (and its almost always guys) , but i really thought that whole tim ferriss type cult of optimization type thing sorta peaked around like 2015-2016. it seems almost quaint now

Thing is, Four Hour Body is actually good advice! It’s basically keto plus some structured exercise. I topped at like 255 and was as low as 200 by following it pretty much to-the-letter. (Still under 220 today, which is more than I’d like but I’m too lazy to worry, I walk a dog for three miles a day, it’s fine.)

And then you have everything else that guy and his weirdo lackeys did afterwards…