Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

there's been some buzz at my workplace today after HR sent out a spreadsheet with the schedule for a mandatory training and oopsie there's like 20 other sheets in the file including a complete stack ranking of all of us peons

we don't even do stack ranking, retention about to look wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao.

an absolutely beautiful own-goal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lmao that sounds something like a reverse bloody maneuver

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

there's been some buzz at my workplace today after HR sent out a spreadsheet with the schedule for a mandatory training and oopsie there's like 20 other sheets in the file including a complete stack ranking of all of us peons

rip

we had one a few years ago where an intern hit new tab instead of new workbook and we got to see a bunch of life plans like "elected to congress" and "own a vending machine company" behind the reimbursement template that went to the entire organization in email.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Midjack posted:

rip

we had one a few years ago where an intern hit new tab instead of new workbook and we got to see a bunch of life plans like "elected to congress" and "own a vending machine company" behind the reimbursement template that went to the entire organization in email.

lmao

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

You didn't even know that you we don't even do stack ranking

FTFY

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Midjack posted:

rip

BREAKING: vending machine magnate elected to congress

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

posted it before but a guy was storing his personal tax returns on a departmental network share that we plugged a search engine into, he got a carefully worded email about ensuring that any non-work data was removed

shame on an IGA posted:

lmao superb

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shame on an IGA posted:

Reminds me of when our CIO accidentally sent out a file that included everyone's salary info in a separate spreadsheet.. That was wild.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

CommieGIR posted:

Reminds me of when our CIO accidentally sent out a file that included everyone's salary info in a separate spreadsheet.. That was wild.

tbh this sounds like a good thing and more people should do it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1702299119463629116

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’ll allow it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Oh I viewed it as a good thing for sure. But the C-suite and HR did not :)

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah discussing salaries is a must for getting the workers to unite against the C-level paper pushers. Seriously. Over in utopia-land it's illegal to say you can't discuss salary amongst employees. If you won't it's a personal preference (usually it's the people who know they get more than the others that won't say)

It's like "what did you vote?"
"It's a secret election"

Yeah good going being afraid to stand up for what you mean, like are you afraid I'll punch you if you told me?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

F4rt5 posted:

Yeah discussing salaries is a must for getting the workers to unite against the C-level paper pushers. Seriously. Over in utopia-land it's illegal to say you can't discuss salary amongst employees. If you won't it's a personal preference (usually it's the people who know they get more than the others that won't say)

pretty sure it's illegal to say you can't discuss salary among employees everywhere in the US, but lol at enforcing that

F4rt5 posted:

Yeah good going being afraid to stand up for what you mean, like are you afraid I'll punch you if you told me?

i have absolutely met people who would be deeply offended if you discussed salaries with them lol

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

its just so gauche

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Salary discussion is unambiguously protected everywhere in the US under the fair labor standards act.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

F4rt5 posted:

Over in utopia-land it's illegal to say you can't discuss salary amongst employees.
LOL I FOIA'ed (well, the local equivalent anyway) the salaries of everyone in my group.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Salary discussion is unambiguously protected everywhere in the US under the fair labor standards act.
Sure but that doesn't mean they won't fire/PIP the poo poo out of you if they get a whiff of what you're doing.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
a couple of jobs ago one of the staff engineers started a voluntary salary survey and shared it to the entire company as his hackathon project. he was smart enough to only do it after he'd made himself unfireable, which was good, because the c-suite was incensed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

its just so gauche
yes, because decorum has never ever been used to keep the lower classes in their place, right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

yes, because decorum has never ever been used to keep the lower classes in their place, right?

i think that's the joke

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the collective joke, on all of us

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

:smith:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raminasi posted:

a couple of jobs ago one of the staff engineers started a voluntary salary survey and shared it to the entire company as his hackathon project. he was smart enough to only do it after he'd made himself unfireable, which was good, because the c-suite was incensed.
what a G

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
https://twitter.com/mikko/status/1702421207738663281?s=46&t=YzV9Ifi895a3K4hRWKHhhA

am i reading this right and a random third party joined and also exfiltrated data? lmao

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

lolapalooza

https://x.com/lasvegaslocally/status/1702383479009452510

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

why would they have ssn's? is that for tax reasons, if youre cashing out more than $10k at a time? i cant imagine thats part of the normal sign up for their players card or whatever.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
over $1200 gets you taxed, yep

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh like i'm gonna trust some link to a no-name obviously fake url like x dot com, posted in the security thread :rolleyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Shame Boy posted:

oh like i'm gonna trust some link to a no-name obviously fake url like x dot com, posted in the security thread :rolleyes:

:same:

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
Everyone's favourite image format, .webp was being actively exploited.

https://stackdiary.com/critical-vulnerability-in-webp-codec-cve-2023-4863/

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
loving .webp I swear to god

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Elysiume posted:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Elysiume posted:

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
security fuckup megathread: loving .webp I swear to god

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Elysiume posted:

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
jesus .webpt

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

time to rewrite webp in Rust!!!! 🦐

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what was the point of webp anyway? for modern bandwidth jpegs seem perfectly fine? it's not like the 3kb/page saved even did anything longterm because loving javascript averages to like 500kb now and keeps growing uncontrolably lmao

dpkg chopra posted:

jesus .webpt

lol