Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was his first death as a Lieutenant. Junior Grade, but a Lieutenant nonetheless.

Apparently you don't get meaningful deaths and resurrections until you make O-2 in Starfleet.

When you're an ensign they just assign your death stat to your commander

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It was his first death as a Lieutenant. Junior Grade, but a Lieutenant nonetheless.

Apparently you don't get meaningful deaths and resurrections until you make O-2 in Starfleet.

Harry Kim nervously tugs on his collar and looks around

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

he did see the koala when he stopped breathing after almost drowning in the second season finale, i think maybe, the first time we see him die? him dying a lot and coming back seems to be a bit, tho, like the sword guy stuff
but idk whatever outside of normal time entities are at play know he's going to be important someday, or something,

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
These short treks gently caress so hard lol. Very 2000s adult swim in the best way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Peanut Butler posted:

i wonder if they are going to do anything with it not being Boimler's first death, technically speaking, since that was in season 3 in the crisis point 2 episode, when boimler clinically dies of dehydration and visits/hallucinates Captain Sulu in the Nexus/Idaho- just rewatching S3 and T'Ana casually mentioning that he was technically dead for a bit there stuck out to me, after watching the latest S4 ep

The horse is going to bite you now :)

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

not to worry, Starfleet has a group accidental death and dismemberment policy with Hyperdimensional Space Koala Mutual Insurance

it's hard to file claims sometimes and their customer service kinda sucks but you can't argue with results

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Starfleet Dental reference in Lower Decks when?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
boimler probably also died for a bit when he drowned in cetacean ops that one time

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

Jerusalem posted:

The horse is going to bite you now :)

Loved that line, perfect way to cap off the quick scene.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kesper North posted:

boimler probably also died for a bit when he drowned in cetacean ops that one time

"I saw a koala!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MillennialVulcan posted:

These short treks gently caress so hard lol. Very 2000s adult swim in the best way.
Just watched them and the Holiday Party one is incredible

"Spock...your blooper reel shouldn't have an 'In Memoriam' segment...."

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I only just realised Picard Season 3 actually did this straight up

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

I only just realised Picard Season 3 actually did this straight up

Is that the Enterprise painting from the Confederation timeline or whatever from Season 2?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah that's General Picard's defeat of The Borg.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only good thing about Picard S2 was Alison Pill's cover of Pat Benatar's Shadows of the Night. Annie Wersching (:rip:) did a good job with being a Borg Queen as well.

Picard S3 went way too loving hard on the "only the old people can save the world galaxy because the young people have literally broken brains" angle for my liking.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only good thing about Picard

There were two good things about Picard season 2!

Thing Number One posted:

TNG-ERA Q: Oh, dear! You seem to be older than I remembered! Let me catch up! (snaps fingers)

PIC-ERA Q: There. Now we're even!

Thing Number Two posted:

PICARD: Q, I am too old for your bullshit!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Snorb posted:

Orla Brady gave me a new "older woman" crush, too. :swoon:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

One of my many disappointments with Picard S2 is that it has a lot of really cool moments and ideas that, in isolation, make it sound like it might be an interesting show. I want to watch the show where the gaps between all the cool moments don’t suck.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blastron posted:

One of my many disappointments with Picard S2 is that it has a lot of really cool moments and ideas that, in isolation, make it sound like it might be an interesting show. I want to watch the show where the gaps between all the cool moments don’t suck.

It suffered from the same fate as Season 1, ironically, where as you said it was a bunch of really cool and interesting moments strung together with absolute unwatchable dogshit that didn't really amount to anything in the end. Both seasons also seemed to actively hate the idea that they were even Star Trek shows to begin with. Just fundamentally repulsed by their own nature and by extension felt like they hated you for watching them.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only good thing about Picard S2 was Alison Pill's cover of Pat Benatar's Shadows of the Night. Annie Wersching (:rip:) did a good job with being a Borg Queen as well.

Picard S3 went way too loving hard on the "only the old people can save the world galaxy because the young people have literally broken brains" angle for my liking.

I was actually enjoying Season 3 in spite of myself until the Borg Cum plot twist dropped and Matalas just opened his skull right up and showed off his big fat Gen X Boomer brain for all the world to see. He really is the Ernest Cline of television, I swear to god, and I mean that in the most negative way I could possible connotate it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah that's General Picard's defeat of The Borg.

We should have realized back then that "The Confederation" 'timeline' was just 11-year-old Terry Matalas's TNG-themed fantasy world. Picard's a badass who kills Dukat in hand-to-hand combat and blows up the changelings and the borg! And Data's there, and Riker's there, and Geordi's there, and Dr. Crusher is there, Worf's there too! And Boobs I mean Troi and Seven of Nine are there also, I guess! Woooo!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Snorb posted:

:hmmyes:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Orla Brady gave me a new "older woman" crush, too. :swoon:

:hmmyes:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ashpanash posted:

We should have realized back then that "The Confederation" 'timeline' was just 11-year-old Terry Matalas's TNG-themed fantasy world. Picard's a badass who kills Dukat in hand-to-hand combat and blows up the changelings and the borg! And Data's there, and Riker's there, and Geordi's there, and Dr. Crusher is there, Worf's there too! And Boobs I mean Troi and Seven of Nine are there also, I guess! Woooo!

And then I'm gonna cast all my friends in it and let all my other friends write it for me. Do they even know what Star Trek is? Do I look like I give a poo poo? Look how far I can throw my PlayMates Enterprise-D across the room, wooooooooom!

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
There was plenty good stuff in Picard, it’s amazing how much less than the sum of its parts it ended up being.

Hey remember how Wesley Crusher ended up being a loving Time Lord for no reason?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love that in a scene where his character basically has a casual conversation with someone he is unable to turn off talk show host mode

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m telling you that scene only exists because they forgot to write an ending to the whole ‘Dr Soong’s daughter’ plot so they just filmed something quickly

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DavidCameronsPig posted:

There was plenty good stuff in Picard, it’s amazing how much less than the sum of its parts it ended up being.

Hey remember how Wesley Crusher ended up being a loving Time Lord for no reason?

Actually looking back on it I'm fine with that. Wesley was always a Time Lord, and given the shitshow that was S2 production I don't begrudge Goldsman going 'gently caress it, hey Wil you know we said we didn't have a part for you, actually how about it: 30 second scene, we'll film it literally outside the Paramount costume dept so it'll take 5 mins tops'.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I can't wait until Thursday so the weekly Picard chat will stop for another three days.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m telling you that scene only exists because they forgot to write an ending to the whole ‘Dr Soong’s daughter’ plot so they just filmed something quickly

And it sucked so badly they decided "never again", so they just left everyone's fate ambiguous after they disappear from the show from that point forward. Looking at you, Elnor, sitting in a box like Schrodinger's cat both alive and dead right now.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Despite him “show-running” Picard S2, I still can’t bring myself to entirely dislike Akiva Goldsman. He was right to auto-pilot that tire fire in favor of focusing on SNW.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Alchenar posted:

Actually looking back on it I'm fine with that. Wesley was always a Time Lord, and given the shitshow that was S2 production I don't begrudge Goldsman going 'gently caress it, hey Wil you know we said we didn't have a part for you, actually how about it: 30 second scene, we'll film it literally outside the Paramount costume dept so it'll take 5 mins tops'.

And you don't even need to change!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like Elnor, if they were going to make the captain Seven show(they aren't) I would hope he would be in there as a security officer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Despite him “show-running” Picard S2, I still can’t bring myself to entirely dislike Akiva Goldsman. He was right to auto-pilot that tire fire in favor of focusing on SNW.

Honestly, same. He seemed to know almost immediately after Matalas bailed on it that Season 2 was unsalvageable and SNW was where the real talent and drive was, so he seemingly just showran Picard over Zoom calls from Toronto and didn't give a poo poo what the upjumped Starbucks baristas Terry hired to write and direct that crap were doing day-to-day as long as they didn't go over their allotted $40 budget so that Terry still had enough money left to rebuild the D Bridge for the eight hours they were gonna shoot on it one day and then demolish it the next.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

And it sucked so badly they decided "never again", so they just left everyone's fate ambiguous after they disappear from the show from that point forward. Looking at you, Elnor, sitting in a box like Schrodinger's cat both alive and dead right now.
He's 100 percent dead, I don't care what Matalas says

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FlamingLiberal posted:

He's 100 percent dead, I don't care what Matalas says

He's the only person that actually died in all of Picard somehow.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

i'm super glad that paramount went 'lets make, uhhh, four or five different kinds of shows at once' because if it were just picard out there right now, i don't think i'd have it in me to love star trek as much anymore

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Boxturret posted:

He's the only person that actually died in all of Picard somehow.
Some say Rios is still throwing punches in that barfight to this day.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

DaveKap posted:

Some say Rios is still throwing punches in that barfight to this day.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rios is on the second faceless apparition of his father on the black mountain. It’s only a matter of time…

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

how would it be... how would it be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

A ring shaped megastructure with a utopian society full of artists, run by a hyper intelligent AI?

Sounds pretty neat!

Whose original creators/inhabitants sublimed, even!