Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
more like welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the other thing with webm is that as much as they try to push how great it is, nothing actually accepts it, they just serve it

upload? png, gif, jpg only. served? webp baby

anyway supposedly it offers minor improvements to compression while helpfully breaking every other thing since nothing supports webp since it's a dogshit format pushed by goog

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Subjunctive posted:

did they add animation to webp? that’s hilarious

Yes, it's the one place the format really shines. It offers far better compression and color palettes than animated GIFs.
(I'm active in Let's Play! so this is actually used a lot over there for screenshot LPs.)

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Soricidus posted:

more like welp

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
webp is almost as annoying as heif

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Quackles posted:

Yes, it's the one place the format really shines. It offers far better compression and color palettes than animated GIFs.
(I'm active in Let's Play! so this is actually used a lot over there for screenshot LPs.)

so it’s just VP8 with all key frames and no accompanying audio? I wonder why it isn’t just webm

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

the other thing with webm is that as much as they try to push how great it is, nothing actually accepts it, they just serve it

upload? png, gif, jpg only. served? webp baby

anyway supposedly it offers minor improvements to compression while helpfully breaking every other thing since nothing supports webp since it's a dogshit format pushed by goog

it offers improvements in goog's ability in not paying any royalties OP

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

not paying rent-seekers is a good thing though

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

I suppose but one company forcing acceptance of a file format simply because they all but dominate the browser market isn't great

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

remember when .gvi was going to change the woheyyyy that's just avi nice try goog

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isn't webm a subset of mkv?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

spankmeister posted:

I suppose but one company forcing acceptance of a file format simply because they all but dominate the browser market isn't great

the file format is fine though

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
shouldn’t we just go straight to avif

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Perplx posted:

shouldn’t we just go straight to avif

the widespread availability of hardware AVIF decoding does make that reasonable

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

spankmeister posted:

but the images are like 30kb smaller which is a huge difference for 56k users

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
bring back swf, it’s the format the internet deserves

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pseudorandom name posted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://techcrunch.com/2023/09/18/microsoft-ai-researchers-accidentally-exposed-terabytes-of-internal-sensitive-data/
lmao

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Lmao jesus

quote:

This data included 38 terabytes of sensitive information, including the personal backups of two Microsoft employees’ personal computers. The data also contained other sensitive personal data, including passwords to Microsoft services, secret keys and more than 30,000 internal Microsoft Teams messages from hundreds of Microsoft employees.

The URL, which had exposed this data since 2020, was also misconfigured to allow “full control” rather than “read-only” permissions, according to Wiz, which meant anyone who knew where to look could potentially delete, replace and inject malicious content into them.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

since 2020 lol

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Mongodb-rear end leak.

(Mongodb rear end-leak)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

how did not one but two people wind up getting their personal backups on there :psyduck:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

how did not one but two people wind up getting their personal backups on there :psyduck:
teh power of the cloud, maaaaaan

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shame Boy posted:

microsoft LiveMesh for Cloud 365

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when I started reading that article, before I got to the azure part, my first thought was "I didn't know they would let you upload 38 terabytes to github" and I got curious

individual files in a repo have a hard limit of 100MB. at 50MB github will still allow you to push but complain about it. the LFS service has caps ranging from 2GB (free) to 5GB (enterprise)

there is no hard limit for total repo size but you are strongly encouraged to stay below 5GB. extremely oversize repos will be handled by humans on a case by case basis

the maximum file size you can have github host as a project release is 2GB

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 18, 2023

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

tell me that you have never worked with a data scientist without telling me you have never worked with a data scientist

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I always knew that AI was just the future of "Oops, all leaks"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Now I wonder, considering the soup of confidential data they apparently fed into their machine, how much confidential data harvested from people is in their model? If you craft a query properly, can you restore, say, some medical data?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

lol I bet this is an enterprise level "for fucks' sake SharePoint why can't I share this? Let's see who the real admin is shall we? *clicks grant all permissions*"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why were they using github for an internal repo?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it was an open source repo that was supposed to only contain code and data intended for public release. access to the rest of the data was through an azure fuckup referenced from the repo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
smdh

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

Now I wonder, considering the soup of confidential data they apparently fed into their machine, how much confidential data harvested from people is in their model? If you craft a query properly, can you restore, say, some medical data?

just from the perspective of stupid things being more likely to happen as evidenced by the entirety of human history, and also properly selecting and filtering data before inputting it, there's definitely things in there that really shouldn't be and some rear end in a top hat is infinitely proud of having found more data to shove in when others balked at "risks"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dude, where's my f-35?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shoulda put an airtag on it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

it's been found.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well it’s always in the last place you think to look

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Well it’s always in the last place you think to look

because you stop looking when you find it, usually.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Midjack posted:

because you stop looking when you find it, usually.

I'll be honest, I stopped looking when I saw the jet wasn't in the compost or behind my motorcycle in the garage.

I'm glad they found it tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012