Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

infernal machines posted:

this is why there's dedicated office key on some keyboards that cannot be disabled or remapped

or why so many dotcom-era computers had extra media keys for "shopping", "email", etc that just opened IE and tried to load a URL that stopped existing about 45 seconds after you bought the computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

graph posted:

i have zero recollection of ms buying linkedin in 2016

i only rmeembered it because of this thread right now

my other linkedin memory is that time they wanted to proxy everyones emails so they could read them lol. this was after the last time i logged in so maybe early 10s?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sweevo posted:

or why so many dotcom-era computers had extra media keys for "shopping", "email", etc that just opened IE and tried to load a URL that stopped existing about 45 seconds after you bought the computer

I sat in a meeting about this topic long ago and almost everyone in the room was salesbro psychopaths and the words “synergy” and “dovetail” were used a lot

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I don't remember the last time I even logged into LinkedIn but this week they sent me some "weekly network digest" email because one of my contacts has a birthday or something lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, they love making up new email categories you haven't yet opted out of.

still i think linkedin is one of the less disturbing social networks because it is explicitly supposed to be the kind of shallow bullshit that it indeed is. basically interview/sales-mode, easy to understand.

where e.g. instagram, is just as bullshit but pretends to be something else entirely.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

the shortcut worth knowing is ctrl+shift+win+b anyway

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Sweevo posted:

as an 11-year-old i had one of these keyboards and the prank of the year was to press the "internet shopping" button while someone was trying to play a game

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Chris Knight posted:

itsa me, lomarfio

also, OneDrive will poo poo itself trying to sync conflicting shortcuts if you use more than one machine
have fun!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

40 years of personal computers getting smaller and cheaper and the idea of someone owning more than one is still an unsolved problem

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yesterday I couldn't launch our stupid Azure compute cluster because they were out of... ip addresses :confused:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
use this one : 219.69.420

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

echinopsis posted:

is someone gonna tell him or should i

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

broke: single-user DOS shell

woke: single-user desktop operating system

bespoke: single-user cloud computing platform

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Armitag3 posted:

is someone gonna tell him or should i

yeah it's got open ports all like whoa

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
echi noooo, the burger king photos!

squawk the streisand button!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

echinopsis posted:

my router laughed at me and said "good one"

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad

mystes posted:

that's insanely dumb

on the other hand I can't imagine actually ever wanting to use Ctrl-Shift-Alt-Win-L as a hotkey for anything anyway

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Win is a convenient custom modifier because nothing ever uses all four modifiers except Microsoft apparently felt the need to fuckin innovate here

mystes
May 31, 2006

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Ctrl+Shift+Alt+Win is a convenient custom modifier because nothing ever uses all four modifiers except Microsoft apparently felt the need to fuckin innovate here
I'm not sure I would describe a five key shortcut as convenient even if nothing else is using it

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
You bind the 4 modifiers to one key

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
this is more of a personal problem but running win11 on bloody nose releases it somehow managed to launch itself without using my vpn on startup

not sure if that would be cool if i were some sort of super sleuth

not sure why the built in junk like norton gets preferential vpn to mine which is mullvad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

InternetOfTwinks posted:

You bind the 4 modifiers to one key

my immediate thinking was that there is a keyboard out there with a linkedin button that does that key combination in lieu of adding another scancode

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the new outlook webview2 app thats replacing mail and calendar is so bad they've hidden most of the reviews and then prevented people from adding new ones. every single one of these webview2 replacement apps has been horrific

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/panos-panay-leader-of-the-surface-and-windows-teams-is-leaving-microsoft/

quote:

Panos Panay, leader of the Surface and Windows teams, is leaving Microsoft

Will be replaced by Yusuf Mehdi, who has been leading the way on AI efforts.

very excited for more cortana!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
cortana is dead. its all bing now.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

we all know, but the cortana joke was obligatory

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bing doesn't respect consent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
bing up your rear end, echi

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

bing would like access to your rear end

[confirm] [conFIRM]

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Bortana

justcallhimdragon
Aug 23, 2023

Shaggar posted:

every single one of these webview2 replacement apps has been horrific

maximum reach, maximum power
msedgewebview2 pegging my tower

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
excuse me, my ai voice assistant is also named Bortana

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

feet one giant toe

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

bing would like access to your rear end

[confirm] [conFIRM]

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

only so many things I can fit in my rear end at any one time

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well make room for bing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

why does everything have rounded corners now? this is all being pushed to win 10 and it looks so out of place

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

because graphic design is their passion

microsoft being microsoft, they take the wrong lessons from all the feedback they get and they've decided that the time to octuple down on visual consistency is with their bastardized kde theme of a ui from windows 11. so now everything is going to get that, whether it makes any kind of sense or not, and it will look like poo poo everywhere, but it will also be visually incongruous on anything except windows 11.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

does anyone have a link to that microsoft product name generator website?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Pile Of Garbage posted:

does anyone have a link to that microsoft product name generator website?

https://wheany.com/ms-branding/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ayy nice cheers m8. also props to wheany for the site, now more relevant than ever.

edit: someone should add it to the OP