Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPapC9esO0

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

War. War never changes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

And here I was about to mention the Swedish match scandal with Ivar Krueger, but it turns out, I learned it from this very thread!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/LettersOfNote/status/644523690592485376

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Is Will Oblige a name or the 1860s version of sincerely

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you pull out all the god damns and add punctuation, the last sentence is

"Now, you old Abolition son of a bitch, I want you to send me about one dozen good offices, and three or four pretty gals, and by doing, you will oblige Pete Muggins."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
How bout abolition plus I get the offices and pretty gals

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, has anyone heard of the time a Russian Tsar was almost assassinated by giraffes in England?

The year was 1844. Relations between Russia and Britain was never great and, with current clashes over colonial control of Afghanistan, just now they were particularly prickly.

But, nevertheless, in June, there was a visit of Tsar Nicholas I to Britain and, as one does to heads of states back then, he was invited to a fete held by the Duke of Devonshire at Chiswick house. The Duke, being an aristo of the time, made sure that there was food a-plenty, music and entertainment. And, it being in those benighted days of Victorian England, exotic wildlife were borrowed from a local zoo, was considered entertainment. Specifically, four giraffes.

So, later in the evening, the Tsar and a bunch of other yoiky upper class tits went bunting over a lake so as to get closer to the giraffes (who were on the side of said lake). The giraffes, startled/curious, decided to go out into the lake themselves, passing by the boats and getting to the other side themselves, whereupon - confronted by a whole bunch of other people that they didn't know - they started running amuck as only several giraffes can.

The British all laughed about it afterwards, but there were some amongst the Russian retinue who accused their hosts of an attempted assassination attempt using African ruminants.

So there you are!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Kazakh and cossack are the same word from the same kipchak root. We spell it kazakh instead of the proper kazak or qazaq because the tsar decided having two kinds of казак in his empire was confusing, so he changed the spelling to казах when referring to the central asian ethnicity.

E: technically this was only formalized under Stalin, much like spelling kazakh language in cyrillic and Kazakhstan being a majority-russian country. Unfun fact: kazakhs made up less than 30% of KSSR by 1960, down from 80% under the tsars. The UN says this is not a genocide. Killing a ton of people to replace with russians was a convenient side effect of stalinist economics.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:41 on Sep 24, 2023

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I was today year old when I found out that apparently no one knows what the p stands for in pH.

I am going to ask my son to ask every chemistry teacher to hear their answer.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Comstar posted:

I was today year old when I found out that apparently no one knows what the p stands for in pH.

I suspect it's going to be along the line of "WE! DO NOT! TALK ABOUT! THE P!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comstar posted:

Positive.

e: Oh it's not, welp.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Comstar posted:

It stands for "power," as in the exponent on 10 (actually the negative of it).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Potenz translating to power is assumed to be the word abbreviated by the p but it wasn't actually explicitly named so in the originating article. There is an argument that he may have been going for (exponential) power or that it is a nonsense cipher for whatever the reader wanted to associate with hydrogen ions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

We've (probably) all seen pics of the crucifixion of Jesus in Eastern Orthodox murals and had a good laugh at how it often looks like Christ has a massive chubby. But it is likely that the design choice is supposed to be representation of haemothorax, or some other build-up of blood and fluid in his trunk.

You see, the act of crucifixion wasn't just some kind of a creepy way of getting a person to die of exposure, it was a way that forced a person's weight onto their lungs, which would slowly begin to give out, resulting in the poor bastard effectively no longer having the strength to take air in. One of the results of this would be the effusion of bodily fluids into the surrounding tissues, and would also explain the phenomenon of water and blood being observed to come out when Christ was stabbed - it would have been more likely to have been blood and plasma.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Samovar posted:

We've (probably) all seen pics of the crucifixion of Jesus in Eastern Orthodox murals and had a good laugh at how it often looks like Christ has a massive chubby. But it is likely that the design choice is supposed to be representation of haemothorax, or some other build-up of blood and fluid in his trunk.

With about 100% certainty I can say that no, it definitely was not meant to represent haemothorax.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Comstar posted:

It’s the “do Balrogs have wings?” of chemistry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Comstar posted:

It stands for potential. pH comes from the phrase "potential of hydrogen".

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
For context

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Samovar posted:

You see, the act of crucifixion wasn't just some kind of a creepy way of getting a person to die of exposure, it was a way that forced a person's weight onto their lungs, which would slowly begin to give out, resulting in the poor bastard effectively no longer having the strength to take air in. One of the results of this would be the effusion of bodily fluids into the surrounding tissues, and would also explain the phenomenon of water and blood being observed to come out when Christ was stabbed - it would have been more likely to have been blood and plasma.

as depicted in brutal yet reasonably accurate fashion in this anime short film;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDRCwJHBCXc

probably my favorite film depiction of the Crucifixion as it strikes a good balance between properly depicting what Jesus went through as the utterly horrifying act of violence that it was without devolving into a glorified snuff film like The Passion of The Christ

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It stands for potential. pH comes from the phrase "potential of hydrogen".

It seems like there's some debate over the p, since the chemist who coined it never actually specified what it was short for, but the H is clearly hydrogen and all the various p-theories are pretty much the same thing

Kind of a dull unsolved mystery tbh

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

drrockso20 posted:

as depicted in brutal yet reasonably accurate fashion in this anime short film;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDRCwJHBCXc

probably my favorite film depiction of the Crucifixion as it strikes a good balance between properly depicting what Jesus went through as the utterly horrifying act of violence that it was without devolving into a glorified snuff film like The Passion of The Christ

having recently converted to orthodox christian myself, I'm glad to see even anime depict the well-known and 100% correct fact that in addition to his enormous weiner, Jesus was buff and shredded

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Samovar posted:

We've (probably) all seen pics of the crucifixion of Jesus in Eastern Orthodox murals and had a good laugh at how it often looks like Christ has a massive chubby.

Wait, what? We have?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Actually I just finished reading a text on Russian Messianism. It was pretty interesting, though also depressing in the way descriptions of patronizing chauvinistic attitudes always are.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

Wait, what? We have?

This is the thread where PYF nerds come clean with our weird reading habits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

christmas boots posted:

It seems like there's some debate over the p, since the chemist who coined it never actually specified what it was short for, but the H is clearly hydrogen and all the various p-theories are pretty much the same thing

Kind of a dull unsolved mystery tbh
It's only a noteworthy unsolved mystery because a chemist of Sørensen's caliber in the furious days of defining all there is in chemistry should have been obsessive about defining an initialism. So instead of taking the paper as a small bit of human error where he may have been workshopping potenz further or debating if it was worthwhile to turn French or English before including the initialism definition and published only the literal definition not matching the letters (hydrogen ion exponent), you get the interpretation that he wanted the p to be a window into your chemistry psyche or be easily translatable locally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The p stands for puzzling

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Homer p Simpson

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I think you'll find the p in pH stands for pH.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Penis of Hydrogen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hydrogen only has one ball

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's why the p is small

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

What a strange melody

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lol, never heard of this. In 1809, the Spanish village Huéscar declared war on Denmark and peace was only reached in 1981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu%E9scar-Danish_War

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I always assumed it stood for proton.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

I think “goddamn” was the “gently caress” of mid-19th century profanity.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It was probably worse, but IANAProfanityExpert

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Rant from 668 BCE:

quote:

Mr. Bel-eṭir, you twofold prison fucktoy, twofold soggy, twofold staring, son of Ibâ, absent epoch, poo poo bucket of a farter, second-rate clan, slave of a dead god, house whose star has vanished from the sky, maidservant, woman, slave of Lady Balihitu, beard among hosed-out women, “Mr. Baby-boy,” much-maligned man.

Mr. Ammanappu provided your whitewash, saying: “First of all, his house is in shadow, starting at the top.” He swore by the Lord, “I will not let go until I have hosed him!” Let go of what Mr. Ammanappu has! Don’t chase after what Mr. Tamru has! Stay away from Mr. Ammanipite! Keep your crotch away from Mr. Haimbi!

Now I have spoken to you. On account of this, rise up against me!"

context explained

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 23:52 on Oct 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks really stands out historically for its variety and creativity.

I love the painting, it's one of those pictures that just tells a story without any context needed, and if you do have it it's especially fun particularly considering the likelihood that the monk-ish guy writing the letter with the quietly amused expression is probably one of the only people in it who is actually literate.