Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Yeah, but the weather doesn't seem to have any relevance? The arguments just went to delivery apps are evil. Which I don't deny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Subjunctive posted:

uber eats lets you choose “pick up” as an option for some restaurants, but I assume they still take a generous cut

So does GH/Seamless. They even drop the service fee on the consumer side (no idea about the business side).

There was another app that sold restaurants on a combined pos and online ordering software package, but for a flat monthly rate. I can't remember the name of it now which is probably why Seamless and Uber are so dominant.

One thing you can do is check the restaurants website and see if they have a recommended ordering tool on their website, as I assume they'd linked the one with lowest fees or easier for their business. Lots of small restaurants are absolutely trash at having just a basic website though so... :shrug:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

lobsterminator posted:

Yeah, but the weather doesn't seem to have any relevance? The arguments just went to delivery apps are evil. Which I don't deny.

If you want an actually serious answer: I think it's fine to order delivery in lovely weather but be aware that it's gonna be the busiest time for delivery (because everyone has the same idea) so a) don't be a cranky rear end in a top hat if it takes a lot longer than normal and b) tip really well.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lobsterminator posted:

what is your specific concern about the weather exactly? your car is the safest place to be during a blizzard or thunderstorm so maybe its not so bad?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

mrmcd posted:

Lots of small restaurants are absolutely trash at having just a basic website though so... :shrug:

the death of Flash was the best thing to ever happen to a person trying to use a restaurant web site

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

post hole digger posted:

what is your specific concern about the weather exactly? your car is the safest place to be during a blizzard or thunderstorm so maybe its not so bad?

No I was just kinda agreeing with the HN OP (sorry) that the drivers are going to be working and they are out waiting for gigs anyway, even if it's bad weather. So the issue is more that the delivery app gig economy sucks, not the weather.

And my definition of "awful weather" is heavy snow or heavy rain and it's not so bad. That's a large part of the year here and doesn't really affect things. But maybe not if there's like a hurricane.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i mean, i guess it's rude to order delivery when it's pissing rain outside, in the same way that it's rude to ask me to build you some software. it sucks but that's the job

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'd have more hate for the food delivery apps if it weren't for the fact that restaurants that previously hired their own delivery people have started replacing them with the app drivers

recently i ordered pizza hut from their website and it was delivered by doordash. really hosed up was that i compared the same order with what it would have cost ordering it through doordash, and pizzahut.com was $4 more than doordash. i like eating restaurant food, and often it's the only choice available for me because i live out of hotels. i'm not about to buy a car and start driving just so i can get takeout.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

nudgenudgetilt posted:

recently i ordered pizza hut from their website and it was delivered by doordash. really hosed up was that i compared the same order with what it would have cost ordering it through doordash, and pizzahut.com was $4 more than doordash.

you shouldn't blame pizza hut for this, it's doordash subsidizing ordering through them through some mix of burning vc money and paying pizza hut less than they'd like to sell their product for

all these startup delivery services are trying to be uber (in one case is literally uber). the investor pitch is literally (1) we will buy a monopoly in a service industry with your money and (2) we will then rake in monopolist profits, also (3) we'll cut costs by gig-economizing all the workers out of a living wage and benefits.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

mrmcd posted:

There was another app that sold restaurants on a combined pos and online ordering software package, but for a flat monthly rate. I can't remember the name of it now which is probably why Seamless and Uber are so dominant.
I think this one is Chownow. one of the places I go regularly uses it, and it seems decent, except that there’s basically zero integration with the restaurant, so pickup times are a total guess. it just prints out a ticket on their end and they make the food, there’s no advance knowledge of estimated time.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

it took tripadvisor nine years of burning money to buy itself a monopoly. capital can play the long game if it has to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I mean, Amazon

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
are we pretending there’s a paucity of travel booking websites now or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol that was my reaction too

my first dev job was for a kayak knockoff lol

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

just imagining some vc sitting in a presentation about the high margins of the food service industry ripe for rent extraction and nodding thoughtfully

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

the death of Flash was the best thing to ever happen to a person trying to use a restaurant web site
only to be replaced by a pdf if you're lucky, a content-free instagram account if you're not

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
one of my favorite local restaurants keeps changing their website around. last time they hosed it up so bad i couldn't figure out how to order. i went to the restaurant and found the lady who runs it and showed her the issue, she was very appreciative. it has since been redesigned again and it works now, kinda. c'mon i just need the toasttab link stop messing with it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oneiros posted:

just imagining some vc sitting in a presentation about the high margins of the food service industry ripe for rent extraction and nodding thoughtfully

I’ve been that VC, but the nodding was mostly just polite

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Chris Knight posted:

only to be replaced by a pdf if you're lucky, a content-free instagram account if you're not

it is difficult (though not impossible) for a pdf to attempt to fingerprint my browser or inject malware, and pdfs never gently caress up zooming and scrolling, so for static data like a menu they're an upgrade over a distressing number of actual web pages

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

quote:

I need my commute. It’s the only way I can cook breakfast. I have my foreman grille which I plug into my car cigarette lighter and create the most amazing breakfast sandwiches. Without my commute I can’t eat. My productivity is noticeably worse without my commute because I’m running a huge calorie deficit.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/keWL8oR.mp4

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm a man so I naturally can't cook myself. I need my wife to accompany me on my commute and cook for me.

My wife has to walk back home because I need the car to get back after work.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

what on earth

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i hope it's a weird joke/troll, but poe's law... :shrug:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

are hn wfh guys or 'everyone should be in office' guys

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

post hole digger posted:

are hn wfh guys or 'everyone should be in office' guys

well, capital mostly wants people in office, so...

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

graycat 12 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

> This requires chunky copper and clamps.
Yup. But that engineering issue is the responsibility of the designers of the DC/AC converter "box"!!!
> Then you have the issue of protecting the 120V loads. You can get more than 20A of current out of the alternator, which pushes what you can safely put through standard extension cords.
Naw!!! The car's alternator charges the car's 12 Volt battery, and the DC/AC converter "box" takes the 12 Volts from the battery and makes 120 Volts AC available at the female output sockets. So, if I plug the male end of an extension cord into one of those sockets and connect the female end of the cord to the male end of a power strip with female sockets and have my office lights and electronics, the "loads", connected to the power strip, no more current will flow in the extension cord than is requested, as usual, by the loads. A cord that can carry 16 Amperes, at 120 Volts, would be moving
16 * 120 = 1920 Watts
As I type this, my office is drawing 52 Watts. With my server with its 8 core AMD processor and my laser printer, still looking at a lot less than 1920 Watts. And the printer gets only occasional use and then for only seconds at a time.
The DC/AC converter has more than one female socket supplying 120 Volts, and from that and an ordinary extension cord could drive the refrigerator, toaster, and microwave oven -- again much less than 1920 Watts.
If I start to overload the DC/AC converter, not very likely for my loads and a converter that can supplyk 4000 Watts, I trust that the converter will have a circuit breaker. In that case, this approach to emergency electric power should be not much more of a safety challenge than normal usage.
Note in all of this, the circuit breaker in the house does not get involved, remains ON, and waits for the utility power to come back on. Then the lights in the kitchen, front hall, etc. will come back on, and I will plug my office and kitchen loads into the wall sockets again, disconnect the DC/AC converter, put the car back in the garage, wind up the extension cords, make some notes, and f'get about the outage!
One little issue is: If the Web server computer was running when the power went out, might there be a way to have power to that computer not be interrupted all the way until the power comes back on? Yup: With some shopping, can run the server computer off another box, not very big, that has a little battery inside that can keep the computer running for a few minutes while I switch over to the DC/AC converter and again while I switch back to the utility power.
For the Hacker News audience, this is conversation is drifting into kindergarten level talk: I'm SURE Hacker News has MANY very well informed engineers on how to have un-interruptible electric power to computers in a server farm and also to the whole farm.
For more, once I wrote a math paper on detecting zero day problems, gave an invited talk at the NASDAQ headquarters, and got a tour and overview of the engineering they did for un-interruptible NASDAQ service, uh, including a remote backup server location. Such magnificent engineering has long been available.
Here I am just trying to contribute to the issue of this thread, using the engine in a car to supply standard 120 Volt A/C electric power. I'm just mentioning that for short term power outages, maybe only a few hours at a time, should be able to do okay with just a normal car and a little box that can supply 4000 Watts of 120 Volt A/C power from a 12 Volt DC battery. That's all I'm trying to do.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

4lokos basilisk posted:

i would like a service where i order through a generic app and then its me who has to show up at the place at the given time to show the code and pick up my food

instead the takeout story is that i walk to a place, explain what i want and pay for it and wait for it and then walk back to my place. the process takes more time and is more work for the restaurant worker too.

i still personally go and pick up my stuff because gently caress uber et al

i usually call ahead and ask to order for pickup if it's something besides fast food

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jesus Christ, read the room

SolTerrasa
Sep 2, 2011

fritz posted:

this guy is basically right altho if I was investing money into having electricity during an outage I’d personally just get a cheap inverter generator; the power inverter he has is not that much cheaper than the harbor freight clone of the Honda 2000i.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SolTerrasa posted:

this guy is basically right altho if I was investing money into having electricity during an outage I’d personally just get a cheap inverter generator; the power inverter he has is not that much cheaper than the harbor freight clone of the Honda 2000i.

when I think "rely on in a crisis", I think of harbor freight

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i usually call ahead and ask to order for pickup if it's something besides fast food
I was recently trying to order something for pickup, and the restaurant's website decided it couldn't validate the stuff I had ordered for some reason, so I tried to call them. Just got a recorded message saying that if you wanted to place an order, use the website. I love our stupid future where there has to be a rickety tech middleman between every potential human interaction.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

love the completely unnecessary male/female specifications. “a power strip with female sockets” yeah unlike the power strip that’s just a bunch of electrified rods sticking up

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Pigbuster posted:

love the completely unnecessary male/female specifications. “a power strip with female sockets” yeah unlike the power strip that’s just a bunch of electrified rods sticking up

lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

hn thread: love the completely unnecessary male/female specifications

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Pigbuster posted:

doubles as a hotdog cooker!

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Improbable Lobster posted:

i meant if the place already has gig work app integration then it should be a breeze to have the same kind of order flow with the only difference being that i am the person who picks it up

if its a busy place then someone needs to answer the phone and spend a lot of time understanding my broken french etc

however there is a local app actually that i forgot all about - pulp.eu

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

Harbor Freight has fairly quietly turned themselves into a respectable brand with decent products (it helps that most of them are sourced from the same places as everyone else). Their engines and by extension their generators are pretty well-made, as are a lot of their power tools these days.

Strange times we live in. Strange times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
my favorite kind of restaurant website is when they just have a Facebook page that I can’t see if I’m not logged into loving Facebook and then there’s no menu on it and they haven’t posted in two years