Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shifting to smallest cog is silly imo

You get the gear I was in :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo smallest cog+ biggest chain wheel is right for road bike gears but if you've got 1x it's more pleasing to be in the middle of the cassette so the chain line is perfectly level

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

cruft posted:

Oh, I did mine wrong, didn't I.

Hahaha I'm pretty sure a folding bike exemption exists. If it doesn't, it sure should!

Slavvy posted:

Imo smallest cog+ biggest chain wheel is right for road bike gears but if you've got 1x it's more pleasing to be in the middle of the cassette so the chain line is perfectly level

img-Scruffy-I'll-allow-it-/img

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

amenenema posted:

This is very good but see below your post for proper bike photo setup. Drivetrain side out is top priority.

Step your game up over even jamal's by lining up cranks w downtube and shifting to the smallest rear cog.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

gently caress this dude. Bikes should be photographed in their natural habitat, not stuffed and on display like it’s in a museum diorama.

Gravel bike on its side in the dirt is primo. Beautiful bike.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

Tigren posted:

gently caress this dude. Bikes should be photographed in their natural habitat, not stuffed and on display like it’s in a museum diorama.

Drive side facing camera is the only important rule because it keeps you from bending the derailleur hanger

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Tigren posted:

Respect your bike by not throwing it down in the dirt like you’re discarding trash

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Tigren posted:

Ouch

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Bikes fall over both ways when you try to stand them up for pics. Let chaos reign

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Levitate posted:

Respect your bike by not throwing it down in the dirt like you’re discarding trash

I mean if you're throwing it down in the dirt, do it on the non drive side so your expensive running gear lasts longer

Or have a really cheap bike you don't care that much about

Both strategies work for me

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just use your kickstand, jeez

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

amenenema posted:

This is very good but see below your post for proper bike photo setup. Drivetrain side out is top priority.

Step your game up over even jamal's by lining up cranks w downtube and shifting to the smallest rear cog.

Thanks for coming to my ted talk

I took a new one today

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
here's a bike on the ground I guess. Just hit 1000mi on it

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

jamal posted:

here's a bike on the ground I guess. Just hit 1000mi on it

It looks tired

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Levitate posted:

what about grass!?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Levitate posted:

It looks tired

Two tired imo.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Newly fitted out with Nitto Bullmoose bars and a new KMC chain. Been riding fully brakeless for awhile now. Love this bike so much.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 19, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

Newly fitted out with Nitto Bullmoose bars and a new KMC chain. Been riding fully brakeless for awhile now. Love this bike so much.

This is the right resolution to the hydraulic vs cable debate

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It sure isn’t

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Coaster brake is the only acceptable solution for dumb clean track bikes if you're riding it outside of a track

Also they look better with a single lever and front brake anyways

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

lol

My legs are the brakes my guy. :cool:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

I took a new one today

:discourse:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Chinatown posted:

My legs are break

head too with that attitude

how many years has it been since we had the fixie debate around here?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

You can't possibly really believe this

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

head too with that attitude

oh poo poo! :blastu:

Anyways here's my other steel Cinelli.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chinatown posted:

oh poo poo! :blastu:

Anyways here's my other steel Cinelli.

This is extremely nice but is the chain ring oval or is that an optical illusion?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Slavvy posted:

This is extremely nice but is the chain ring oval or is that an optical illusion?

that’s what happens when you don’t inflate them properly

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Thanks.

Yes, it's an absoluteBLACK 48t direct mount oval chainring. Was curious about the whole theory about them and I'm still not sure but they feel good when you get used to it. Biggest downside is that if you've been riding fixed gear for a week or whatever and you change onto an oval ring, your pedal stroke is out ofwack out for bit until you switch your brain that it's an oval. It's very subtle though and I'm at the point where it's no longer an issue.

Worth it? Not sure. But is looks cool. :grin:

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I heard a bikefitter on YouTube speculate that ovals are best for heel droppers due to the exaggeration of the "dead spot" it causes. Hence Froome running them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I saw this simulation study a long time ago: https://www.noncircularchainring.be/pdf/Biomechanical%20study%20chainrings%20-%20release%202.pdf

Go to page 27 for the quick deets.
Basically this author simulated a model of the leg bones and muscles. The prescribed clocking of an oval chainring per manufacturers is typically with the peak radius ~70deg after the crank.
But that tends to have (per the simulation) as low of a minimum power as a circular ring.
The optimal clocking is ~70deg ahead of the crank, which brings up the worst dip in the dead spot by a little bit, at the cost (benefit?) of lower peak power across the stroke.
(I'm pretty sure the blue curve on the top left graph is wrong, as it differs from all other graphings of the circular chainring's power output).

Anyways, this is back in the day when narrow-wide teeth profiles were pretty simple, so to achieve the clocking suggested by the paper, I just flipped the chainring over and fit it against my 5 arm spider (conveniently 72 degree apart). Nowadays, I'd probably not have the option of reclocking an oval ring to the angle I want, between keyed direct mount rings or asymmetrical 4 arm spiders.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Finally grabbed a pic of these bikes you got out here in western Kenya.

Incredibly long wheelbase, double top tube, often reinforced fork, usually very thick rear rack and all are single speed with a freewheel. Folks can carry some pretty impressive cargo on these, or even passengers. There are a few other kinds I've seen people riding, but this type is the vast majority.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I love where the kickstand is welded in, that's a kickstand built to prop up some serious weight.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I figured out what it is: a Chinese-made Flying Pigeon PA-06, first manufactured in the 1950s. I guess if you're Chinese this bike would be instantly recognizable. Cool old bikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Most civilian Feiges (flying pigeons) are not as built up as that one. More normal sized rack (that you can still sit on and get pedaled around if you’re in a flat city like Beijing), no double top tube.

I think much more emblematic for peddlers and crafts people is a trike with wooden bed. There’s a good variety in here:

https://photography.bicyclingaroundtheworld.nl/bicycle-culture/china/

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"
First time buying a new bike in 10 years. Upgrading from a BMC Race Master to this. I was going to wait for the Supersix 2 with the tacky green paintjob but got a deal I couldn't turn down. The iridescence is better in person.

Paul Proteus fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 23, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

that’s a nice looking bicycle, even has room for fat tires

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I don't see how you'd fit 4 inch tires on that

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

you know what i mean!!

here's a bike in its natural state, beholden to no rules

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you know what i mean!!

here's a bike in its natural state, beholden to no rules

:sickos:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
One of these days I'm gonna cave and get an eTap groupset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that’s a nice looking bicycle, even has room for fat tires

Yea it comes with 25 but ill swap to 28 or bigger when they wear out. Did a quick ride and super happy so far. Rival double tap to etap is still hard to wrap around my head.