Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Verman posted:

Every time I use loppers I just think, this is the perfect tool for removing a fingat.

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alright thanks for the suggestions!

Another question:

I was going to seed a little area for a native planting. Should I call the dig hotline to get a locate around that area to make sure there aren't utilities nearby? I'm not actually going to dig, so I'm not sure if the call-before-you-dig service is the "right" thing to use. I'm in chicago 'burbs if that matters.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eeyo posted:

Another question:

I was going to seed a little area for a native planting. Should I call the dig hotline to get a locate around that area to make sure there aren't utilities nearby? I'm not actually going to dig, so I'm not sure if the call-before-you-dig service is the "right" thing to use. I'm in chicago 'burbs if that matters.

It’s free but do you have a reason to think there’s a really shallow utility where you’re digging? Are you using an excavator?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Eeyo posted:

Another question:

just look around the area to see if your electric meter, gas meter, or coax / fiber boxes are nearby. fiber and coax lines to homes are usually done as cheaply and lazily as possible and can be like 1” deep in places. if you’re far away from them then you’ll probably be just fine, but if you gently caress it up you’ll get in trouble if you didn’t call 811

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BigFactory posted:

It’s free but do you have a reason to think there’s a really shallow utility where you’re digging? Are you using an excavator?

I won’t be digging but afaik the roots for perennial wildflowers can go quite deep, like many feet deep.

right arm posted:

just look around the area to see if your electric meter, gas meter, or coax / fiber boxes are nearby. fiber and coax lines to homes are usually done as cheaply and lazily as possible and can be like 1” deep in places. if you’re far away from them then you’ll probably be just fine, but if you gently caress it up you’ll get in trouble if you didn’t call 811

I’m mostly concerned about the sewer, I think the area is away from the incoming utilities. I know there’s a sewer cleanout port on the same side of the house I’ll be planting but IDK where the sewer actually exits.

stranger danger
May 24, 2006

Eeyo posted:

I won’t be digging but afaik the roots for perennial wildflowers can go quite deep, like many feet deep.

I’m mostly concerned about the sewer, I think the area is away from the incoming utilities. I know there’s a sewer cleanout port on the same side of the house I’ll be planting but IDK where the sewer actually exits.

If you haven't bought your seed yet, I'd recommend digging a hole just so you can see what kind of soil you're working with. That's one of the things I learned from setting up a native plant garden somewhat nearby (more in the Milwaukee area). I threw my seed out in early winter, then when spring came I planted some plugs. I assumed the soil was all black and loamy but it turns out beneath 3-4" of that is an thick layer of clay. So no surprise that the plants in the mix which aren't adapted to growing in clay soils are doing terribly and are going to be crowded out by other species.

About the depths of the root systems, you might want to send Prairie Nursery and/or Prairie Moon Nursery an email and ask them what they think. Each apparently has a mix which is supposed to play nice with septic fields. From one of their descriptions:

quote:

When planting over a drainfield it is important to avoid wetland, or high moisture species, which will seek additonal moisture and are more likely to invade pores & pipes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Eeyo posted:

It’s rare to get sewer marked out around where I am. Almost never. Depending on the age of your place, there’s a chance the city doesn’t really know where it is, either. But it’s free to call.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Eeyo posted:

I can't speak for your jurisdiction, but on Ontario, where I am, once it crosses the property line it is typically considered to be "yours" and wouldnt be located by the city. It is then a private utility and would require a private located. Frequently the water and sanitary are run in the same trench too (ymmv on that one). Also for the water it's typical that the city only owns up to the shut off valve, after that it is also a private utility owned by you.

If you live somewhere that freezes, they will all be buried below the frost line, which can be 4-5+ feet deep depending on where.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

If you are digging, you need to call the dig. In the US (Michigan at least) if you hit a utility and did not make a call, you are liable. Full stop. If you are not digging, but planting, then you have no need for a dig. None of your utilities will care if roots are grown into it. The only exception is a waste line, but even then it's a very long term problem. You could have the most invasive angry root system in the world and it will not pull up a utility.

Even if you are only digging beneath the sod, do not assume your utilities are at the frost line. Don't assume the utilities are routed anywhere intelligent. Don't use the lack of boxes as evidence of no utilities. Your main utilities "should" be at proper depth, but what if the PO regraded a hill and now your gas line is a foot down? Or what if the contractors wanted to gently caress off and smoke weed all afternoon and didn't wait for a proper plow? Or what if a crew used a directional boring machine across your yard and you never even knew?

I worked as an underground-overhead contractor in college and saw the dumbest poo poo imaginable. But never once did a shovel go in the ground without a white flag signaling all clear or knowing where everything was.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Yooper posted:

I worked as an underground-overhead contractor in college and saw the dumbest poo poo imaginable. But never once did a shovel go in the ground without a white flag signaling all clear or knowing where everything was.

Formerly of a related industry (finance, not field). I once had some indirect involvement with a company that drilled through an underground gasoline tank. They had everything located, but the tank was not where it had been marked.

Turns out the city had widened the road some years before. The gas station owner had been given funds to relocate the tank out of the right-of-way. He took the money, gave the gas station to a relative, and then left the country. :v:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Eeyo posted:

811 will not mark sewer lines other than those in the street so you’re SOL. if you see the clean out though it’s most likely that it’s close to a straight shot from that to the street where the main is as there’s typically little reason to weave it around in someone’s yard

also your service line will typically be feet deep, not inches deep, so I wouldn’t fret about it especially if you’re hand digging, not using an excavator to plant flowers lol

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Once again ymmv, but here, digging with a shovel is fine. But using a pick axe or mattock, or a t-bar driver requires a locate because swinging a pick axe, or banging on a t-bar driver is an "impact" that is more easily able to gently caress something up compared to a fat goon just kinda stepping on a shovel.

The electric and gas company will *probably* mark everything right up to the meter, private property or not, but the city will only mark up to the property line or shut off valve (the valve will be on city property) cable and phone company may or may not mark on private property.

Once again though this is only in Ontario, it may vary elsewhere. It won't hurt to call as the locates are usually free.

For more info on where YOU might need a locate try looking for (your state)811.com or some poo poo.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Sewer lines can be deep as gently caress. I just had to cap one that was 13’ down before it hit the main.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Sewer lines can be deep as gently caress. I just had to cap one that was 13’ down before it hit the main.

I drilled through a big concrete storm line that was 5 or 6 feet diameter, it was 20 feet down.

Seen water mains daylighted that were 15+ ft.

This goon is talking about a service line to a house and I've never seen them more than 5-6 ft deep at the most. Have to admit though that I haven't *seen* that many in person, just the green paint marks for them usually.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

I drilled through a big concrete storm line that was 5 or 6 feet diameter, it was 20 feet down.

Seen water mains daylighted that were 15+ ft.

This goon is talking about a service line to a house and I've never seen them more than 5-6 ft deep at the most. Have to admit though that I haven't *seen* that many in person, just the green paint marks for them usually.

It’s a pointless derail, but it depends on how deep the main is and where he’s planting on his property relative to that

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alright thanks! I remembered there's also a cleanout in the house, so I figure it's got to be a straight shot between the two. I'll probably just pick up some of the "septic friendly" mix, and that will hopefully be fine.

I am also going to install some bushes on other parts of our yard, and I'll get those located before digging. It'll be easy enough to move something around a bit of needed.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Worth pointing out that the quality of service you get from an 811 locate varies to an absurd degree. I've seen them very diligently swinging their sensor back and forth for well over a minute to nail down the exact center of the pipe, and I've also seen them using a dowsing rod they fashioned out of a scrap of rebar tie wire that they nicked from a nearby construction site.

The daylighting crew working after the latter guy looked really pissed off.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm running into an 811 issue too! I got a marker for where our gas line runs, which appears to be directly to the corner of the house, almost perfectly on a line where I was planning on pounding in some T-Posts and digging in some 2-3/8 chain link posts to put in a fence/gate. Unfortunately, the yellow line they flagged is not particularly straight. Do I assume a straight line and move the fence out 6 inches? Do I assume it weaves like it does and put one post on the outside one on the inside? And of course, it's a gas line and by the time I got home from work yesterday everyone from the city had gone home early. There wasn't any guidance on how much space to give each side, just 'only use hand tools within two feet'

T-Posts are going down 6 inches with a pounder, gate post is going down a foot using a post-hole digger.

Related question: it's been lightly drizzling all week and might lightly drizzle some more this afternoon & tomorrow. Do I need a dry hole to pour quick-crete into?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

road potato posted:

I'm running into an 811 issue too! I got a marker for where our gas line runs, which appears to be directly to the corner of the house, almost perfectly on a line where I was planning on pounding in some T-Posts and digging in some 2-3/8 chain link posts to put in a fence/gate. Unfortunately, the yellow line they flagged is not particularly straight. Do I assume a straight line and move the fence out 6 inches? Do I assume it weaves like it does and put one post on the outside one on the inside? And of course, it's a gas line and by the time I got home from work yesterday everyone from the city had gone home early. There wasn't any guidance on how much space to give each side, just 'only use hand tools within two feet'

T-Posts are going down 6 inches with a pounder, gate post is going down a foot using a post-hole digger.

Related question: it's been lightly drizzling all week and might lightly drizzle some more this afternoon & tomorrow. Do I need a dry hole to pour quick-crete into?

You could test dig and expose it in a few spots. I wouldn’t assume the flags are any more than kinda accurate

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Around here its "hand dig within one meter" of any paint marks.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

road potato posted:

It could be plastic gas lines, which may not be completely straight. Don't assume anything other then "there's a gas line nearby" with surface marks.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

A few days ago I planted two bare root pagoda dogwoods. However I think I planted them a bit too deep. Should I just dig them back out and try to get them higher, or will that hurt them?

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Leave them in the ground. Planting and digging the roots is stressful on the plants, you don’t want to do it twice in the space of a few days.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Eeyo posted:

A few days ago I planted two bare root pagoda dogwoods. However I think I planted them a bit too deep. Should I just dig them back out and try to get them higher, or will that hurt them?

ohhyeah posted:

Leave them in the ground. Planting and digging the roots is stressful on the plants, you don’t want to do it twice in the space of a few days.
Planting too deep is really the one situation where I think it is worth digging them up. A tree that's planted too deep will basically never do well, and as long as they have ben watered well since they were planted and continue to be watered well after, they should be fine. Make sure any time the tree roots are out of the ground/bot, they are out of direct sun. Stick them in a pot or cover the roots with some wet cloth or something.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The recently foreclosed on home next to mine is going to be an AirBnB that caters to "Sledheads, Hoonigans, Side-by-Sides, and guys that like to go braaap!". There is currently a 20 yard wide strip of woods between my place and the other place. It is mature spruce, balsam, tag alder, and a shitload of buckthorn. I had planned to cut the buckthorn over the winter, paint the stumps with glyphosate, and spend a couple of years dealing with the saplings.

Now though as much as I hate the buckthorn it gives me a nice privacy barrier. I'm at a loss on how to effectively remove and replace the buckthorn while still retaining some privacy. Short of a fence, does anyone have any ideas?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

The recently foreclosed on home next to mine is going to be an AirBnB that caters to "Sledheads, Hoonigans, Side-by-Sides, and guys that like to go braaap!". There is currently a 20 yard wide strip of woods between my place and the other place. It is mature spruce, balsam, tag alder, and a shitload of buckthorn. I had planned to cut the buckthorn over the winter, paint the stumps with glyphosate, and spend a couple of years dealing with the saplings.

Now though as much as I hate the buckthorn it gives me a nice privacy barrier. I'm at a loss on how to effectively remove and replace the buckthorn while still retaining some privacy. Short of a fence, does anyone have any ideas?

Burn down the airbnb.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

There's obviously a bunch of other shrubs you could replace the buckthorn with, but that's going to be a slow job and they'll take a while to establish. And will cost lots of money to replace a large area if you buy bare roots or potted plants. Like a bunch of dogwood and hazelnut could probably slide in there, they tolerate shade.

I looked around and couldn't find much of anything that's annual (so it will establish really quickly), tolerates shade, and won't be noxious/a nuisance.

Maybe like plant a big swath of sunflowers somewhere where the'll get enough sun or something like that? You'll probably end up with sunflowers everywhere though :shrug:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Eeyo posted:

Maybe like plant a big swath of sunflowers somewhere where the'll get enough sun or something like that? You'll probably end up with sunflowers everywhere though :shrug:

I'd love a shitload of sunflowers, but I think I'll see more nuisance neighbors in the winter than summer.

Motronic posted:

Burn down the airbnb.

:negative: I wish I could...

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Yooper posted:

I'd love a shitload of sunflowers, but I think I'll see more nuisance neighbors in the winter than summer.

Make friends with the township board and get a targeted nuisance abnb ordinance passed. Every vehicle at an abnb must have indoor storage, you know, for safety.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And until then you should absolutely be "that neighbor" that calls the cops every time they violate anything. Airbnb needs to die.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yooper posted:

Oh right I didn't understand what all those words meant, I obviously do not love things that go braaaaap.

This may be a bad idea, but the middle path is something like just cutting down all the female buckthorn so it at least doesn't spread, then planting your favorite privacy shrub and wait until that's filled in to go in and kill off the rest of the buckthorn. You'll be dealing with it for years that way though.

If you want to hit it with herbicide though the fall may be better, I thought you want to hit it when it's not dormant so it will move down to the rest of the plant. And you can probably tell which ones are female still too?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, lord, I looked up "hoonigans" and I'm so sorry about your impending neighbors. :( Depending on how rural you are, it's possible that this use of the land may be forbidden by town ordinances.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a42384610/original-hoonigan-ken-block-1967-2023/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yes, its people wearing flat brimmed hats with fart can exhaust on their 4 cylinder cars.

Not to speak ill of the dead but Ken and I did not get along. His wife is a sweetie though.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Planted a whole bunch of bulbs in the drier areas of the wildflower/prairie grass sections last week. Today I cast out all of the seed with a hand spreader, so now I wait for cold moist stratification to do its thing.

Kept about 2cups of seed mix for future use in case I want to add an area. The area I am converting was probably the lushest grass in the entire yard because of the swale. Since killing off the grass I haven’t seen anything grow in the area so I am hopeful that there is little to no weed seed bed to compete with the first year growth next year.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 22, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Discussion Quorum posted:

Just moved to a new house with a nice shady backyard - which means I have a whole new set of weeds to learn :confuoot:

This one has me stymied: https://imgur.com/a/0dq5fHu

It's growing in an area that is pretty much full shade, with a little bit of morning sun over part of it. You can see there is also dichondra and straggler daisy (plus some thin St Augustine), which will help with a sense of scale. I am in USDA Zone 9a.

Google Lens has suggested the following to me:

Wild ginger - leaves don't seem quite right, and it appears to be spreading via stolons
Dichondra - way too big, wrong color (see pics)
Obscure morning glory - leaves aren't pointy
Dutchman's pipe - not a climbing vine

I also thought it could be wild violet, but again, leaves don't seem quite right. I plan on putting a shade garden here, so I'm trying to figure out whether this is worth saving and transplanting as free ground cover, if it's invasive, or if it's just a basic-rear end weed.

One of these little assholes finally sent up a flower which allowed me to make a definitive ID: Lycianthes repens

There seems to be very little information about it out there except that it is a toxic nightshade native to Brazil. It doesn't seem to be widely cultivated as an ornamental so what it's doing all over my yard (because once we finally got rain a few weeks ago, it started popping up everywhere) is anyone's guess.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Taps thread title.

(seriously, if this is a new thing they will want to know)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm going to update them, but:

Discussion Quorum posted:

Contacting the extension didn't help.

The horticulture agent just said "yeah it's dichondra" and linked me to a page of common turfgrass weeds.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
FINAL UPDATE: Lycianthes asarifolia, aka gingerleaf.

Found a list of local invasives published by the local parks and rec department that lead me to it. Seems like it is pretty limited to my area of the US (Houston) but it's pretty darn hardy, so I'm sure it's coming soon to a warm coastal climate near you!

Bad news: resistant to herbicides
Good news: edible fruits?
https://archive.org/details/biostor-159037

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 30, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TAMU studied this as far back as '97, say it's likely to become a noxious weed that should be identified and destroyed, and your ag extension just shrugs. High quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got a little more traction this time. They asked for pics of the flowers and confirmed my ID. All they said was that they would let other agents know to be on the lookout.

Our weather is swinging between the 50s and the 80s, but I guess I have a date with Roundup and a paintbrush once we settle into the 70s for a bit.