Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

lord fifth posted:

had a really weird interview experience the other day. the company did their first round technical screens through a third party service so i got to listen to an underpaid overseas worker's baby cry through a terrible internet connection for an hour. is this common now? the entire interview was very uncomfortable

Ive never heard of that, but lmao someone is making a fortune selling that experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That sounds bad. I probably would have just hung up unless I was desperate. If they don't want to respect your time don't give it to them

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
the company in question sells a well known database product and pays interns very well. internship hiring is going notably terribly this season so i'll take what i can get

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh ya ur a student. carry on. unfortunately your time is nearly worthless

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, intern and junior hiring ate poo poo and died sorry

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
im immune to downturns in the market me personally. but my heart goes out to all those other prospective interns who arent as awesome and charming as me

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jesus loving christ dude. you're trying to go from uber to oracle?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just get it over with and start giving peter theil your blood

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

maybe he interviewed with Sun Microsystems and that’s why the interview was so strange

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???

nudgenudgetilt posted:

jesus loving christ dude. you're trying to go from uber to oracle?

the idea of applying to oracle is making me actively wretch and pucker my butthole

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

idk who else itt has worked for oracle, im sure there are others, but take it from me: don’t loving work for oracle

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

idk who else itt has worked for oracle, im sure there are others, but take it from me: don’t loving work for oracle

I dunno what if they pay well? Do they pay well?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

no

Grum
May 7, 2007
recently heard someone stretch out the 3 legged pig joke as a shaggy dog story then ended it with "yeah i worked at oracle."

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

recruiter just called me to tell me that i did well and the team likes me. they are interviewing someone else before making a decision. then asks what are your salary expectations.
i answered the top of the range you gave me in a nice way.

obviously they're going with whoever said the lower number lol. so i'm expecting a rejection later this week.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

lord fifth posted:

oracle is making me actively wretch and pucker my butthole

casting couch internship as a service

is there a better way to use levels.fyi or alternative site for infra/networking jobs? linkedin seems okay so far but I want diverse data sources, though i'm in a tiny market and it may not matter

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 25, 2023

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
three hour final round for a company i actually want to work for next week :D i would be taking a haircut on potential new grad return offer comp but it seems worth it to me

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

palantir is lucky to have you lord filth

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
i promise to keep all of your surveillance data safe (id rather gouge out my eyes than work for palantir)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
is that part of their normal onboarding process

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the whispery voice of peter thiel: where youre going you wont need eyes to see

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lord fifth posted:

i promise to keep all of your surveillance data safe (id rather gouge out my eyes than work for palantir)

ok fine, anduril, whatever.

lord fifth
Dec 26, 2019

LUCK ???
surely there cannot be more than one comically evil company named for an item from jrr tolkien's the lord of the rings series

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lord fifth posted:

surely there cannot be more than one comically evil company named for an item from jrr tolkien's the lord of the rings series

there are in fact myriad

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Kazinsal posted:

there are in fact myriad

turns out most billionaires' worldviews are informed by misunderstanding popular fiction

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

well-read undead posted:

turns out most billionaires' worldviews are informed by misunderstanding popular fiction
we here at Torment Nexus LLC categorically reject this statement

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

post hole digger posted:

ok fine, anduril, whatever.

what is their deal, aside from sending recruiter spam wanting relocation to some random place in socal?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

lord fifth posted:

im an employee of all of them

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

big shtick energy posted:

what is their deal, aside from sending recruiter spam wanting relocation to some random place in socal?

thats palmer luckeys company

they make drones for the dod

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

any good additional resources on top of the OP? doing babies first data analyst job interview tomorrow and just padding poo poo out for practice and general comfort/familiarity

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

any good additional resources on top of the OP? doing babies first data analyst job interview tomorrow and just padding poo poo out for practice and general comfort/familiarity

say the corporate goodspeak answers to why you want to work there and don’t be a weird goon about it

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

go to 100 interviews in order to learn the skill of interviewing.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
Interviewer just asked me, "If we asked your references at X and Y to rate your performance, what do you think they would rate you from 1-10?" How am I supposed to say anything other than 10? That question confers almost no information.

Then they asked if they could get a reference for my performance at my current job. Who is giving a reference for anything other than "Yes they work here" at their current position? Isn't that just loving myself at my current role by letting someone I work with know I'm interviewing?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
its just a tactic to see if you'll look shy about references. i always make explicit that I ask they do not contact anyone at my current employer and generally a firm will be professional about it

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Its a Rolex posted:

Interviewer just asked me, "If we asked your references at X and Y to rate your performance, what do you think they would rate you from 1-10?" How am I supposed to say anything other than 10? That question confers almost no information.

"10, absolutely."

quote:

Then they asked if they could get a reference for my performance at my current job

"Are you loving kidding me? If I get even a hint that you called them I will sue you into the stone age."

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

20 out of ten, i was routinely told i did twice the work of my coworkers

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Its a Rolex posted:

Then they asked if they could get a reference for my performance at my current job.

sure, and perhaps i could call your wife and ask if she'd recommend having sex with you, hmm?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'll call the jerk store and ask them to recommend their bestseller

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

CPColin posted:

I'll call the jerk store and ask them to recommend their bestseller

but doctor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Shocking news for some people interviewing: In negotiations, people might ask you for things they dont actually expect to get.

rotor posted:

"10, absolutely."

"Are you loving kidding me? If I get even a hint that you called them I will sue you into the stone age."

What % of people who threaten the interviewer get hired?

What % of people who mention participating in legal action?

Its a Rolex posted:

Then they asked if they could get a reference for my performance at my current job. Who is giving a reference for anything other than "Yes they work here" at their current position? Isn't that just loving myself at my current role by letting someone I work with know I'm interviewing?

You could actually state the ratings you got, if you were rated well. You could ask for more info. You could say a high number (9 or 10) and then say how you being promoted there indicates that.

I'd decline giving them a reference for my current job before I had a concrete offer with a start date in hand if you're worried that the contact may lead to adverse employment actions.