Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

gariig posted:

What are you using to combing the json and exif data? Been wanting to do a Google Takeout of my photos to make a backup of them.

https://metadatafixer.com/how-it-works

I have 74 5GB zip files from my Photos Takeout. I did the demo which will merge 100 of them and it came out just what I needed so have it churning right now on the whole dataset after purchasing them. So cannot give it a confirmed thumbs up just yet, but so far I’m optimistic it’ll do what I need it to.

Then I have a perl script that a goon in another thread gave me that will go through and remove duplicate photos based on its hash. Which I think will be important as Google Photos seems to double up the photos if it exists in an album, but not sure.

It’s a giant unwieldy mess and I regret stopping managing my photos on a file level and just using other programs to visualize it. Now I’m left un-loving whatever it’s done. On top of reducing the quality of many photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
Anyone running Headscale server know if I can have Tailscale client be connected to 2 different Headscale servers on 2 separate Tailnets (or whatever Headscale calls it)?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

TraderStav posted:

https://metadatafixer.com/how-it-works

I have 74 5GB zip files from my Photos Takeout. I did the demo which will merge 100 of them and it came out just what I needed so have it churning right now on the whole dataset after purchasing them. So cannot give it a confirmed thumbs up just yet, but so far I’m optimistic it’ll do what I need it to.

Then I have a perl script that a goon in another thread gave me that will go through and remove duplicate photos based on its hash. Which I think will be important as Google Photos seems to double up the photos if it exists in an album, but not sure.

It’s a giant unwieldy mess and I regret stopping managing my photos on a file level and just using other programs to visualize it. Now I’m left un-loving whatever it’s done. On top of reducing the quality of many photos.

Following up on this. Had a lot of issues with this app freezing up but the problem was that I was trying to work either the input or the output with a network drive. My 1TB HD on my MBP didn't have enough space for both the Zips or the output. I found in my backroom an old enclosure and 1TB drive and operated it from there (yet another reason I get to tell my wife why I don't throw this stuff out) just perfectly. Running the dupe script now and then will throw at my Nextcloud photos directory.

I expect it to work and at this point can really recommend this product. For the cost, it solved a lot of headaches. A more technical person probably can craft a script to merge the jsons themselves, but I coudn't be assed to do it.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

bsaber posted:

Anyone running Headscale server know if I can have Tailscale client be connected to 2 different Headscale servers on 2 separate Tailnets (or whatever Headscale calls it)?

I'm running Headscale but not multiple instances, what's the use case?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TraderStav posted:

There's some other things to set up for handling places (geolocation) and some other things. But it's really solid. Save the bookmark to your desktop and it's basically an app

Holy crap, there was just a link to an android app in the latest update. It makes everything work just like the native android photos app with google photo uploads. Local and remote media is mixed seamlessly, preview images are cached and fast.

I had completely given up on a nextcloud compatible solution for all of this.

So yeah, anyone looking, especially if you're an android user.......this is pretty good.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Keito posted:

I'm running Headscale but not multiple instances, what's the use case?

One for personal and the other is a friend’s instance so I can access his stuff. Gave it a try by going to add another account and broke the client (on windows). The client just said please restart the Tailscale service. Had to completely uninstall the client and re-install and authenticate again.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

bsaber posted:

One for personal and the other is a friend’s instance so I can access his stuff. Gave it a try by going to add another account and broke the client (on windows). The client just said please restart the Tailscale service. Had to completely uninstall the client and re-install and authenticate again.

That makes sense. On Linux at least I believe this could be possible by setting a different tun device / UDP port / state dir, if the two tailnets don't use overlapping IP address ranges at least, but it's not something I've tried.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1278/tailscaled/#flags-to-tailscaled

No idea how you'd do this on Windows though.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

Keito posted:

That makes sense. On Linux at least I believe this could be possible by setting a different tun device / UDP port / state dir, if the two tailnets don't use overlapping IP address ranges at least, but it's not something I've tried.

https://tailscale.com/kb/1278/tailscaled/#flags-to-tailscaled

No idea how you'd do this on Windows though.

Hm, might try those flags over the weekend on the windows client. No idea if it’ll work but worth a try. Thanks!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
This may be a weird question, but I originally installed Kubuntu on my server since I still wasn't completely comfortable with an only-terminal environment at the time. I'm now doing 100% of my interaction with the server through an SSH terminal, and I don't see myself ever having to log into KDE again. I tried googling ways to remove KDE, but many of the results were contradictory, and ranged from 2-10 years old.

This seems to be the cleanest solution I could find, with the caveat that I may have to start removing individual KDE apps afterward that aren't covered by this set of packages:

sudo apt remove plasma-desktop kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt autoremove

Is this probably the best balance of ripping out as much of KDE's guts as possible without causing some sort of catastrophe by uninstalling a package that's required for something non-KDE? The reason why I want to do this is that my server has a relatively lightweight CPU (Alder Lake N100), so I figure I should try to claw back as much performance as possible, as well as remove any possible vulnerabilities from packages I'm not using anyway.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Quixzlizx posted:

sudo apt remove plasma-desktop kubuntu-desktop
sudo apt autoremove

Is this probably the best balance of ripping out as much of KDE's guts as possible without causing some sort of catastrophe by uninstalling a package that's required for something non-KDE?

Yes, but you're still going to have a ton of poo poo dangling around. Lots of libraries.

There used to be this tool called deselect that would graphically present everything (well, TTY graphically) and you could go tag stuff for deletion until it popped up this "whoa there pal now you gotta resolve this dependency hell" and you could back up a step. That's what I always used for situations like yours.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
apt (at least under Debian) should detect all the libraries without dependences - you can clean them up with 'apt autoremove'.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Less Fat Luke posted:

apt (at least under Debian) should detect all the libraries without dependences - you can clean them up with 'apt autoremove'.

I'm here to tell you that you will still be left with loads of recommended dependencies, mostly libraries.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I'm here to tell you that you will still be left with loads of recommended dependencies, mostly libraries.

True.

The only thing worse than linux package management is the before times when there was no package management and most installs started with "make all".

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Having a bunch of libraries sitting around is just gonna eat up a bit of storage and, I guess, occasionally slightly slow down updates since they increase the pool of things that need to be kept up-to-date. It's not going to have any meaningful impact to the performance of the server since they'll never be getting called.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Oh I think the annoying thing with `apt autoremove` is that on a fresh install Debian and Ubuntu use apt-mark to mark *everything* installed as "manual" (you can check with `apt-hold showmanual`). I usually do the smallest install then apt-get stuff through Ansible so autoremove in my systems does do a lot of nice cleanup.

But yeah libraries and stuff wouldn't bother me much but if I see some poo poo like Abiword in the faux-start menu it'll make my blood boil.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
apt autoremove removed 355 packages and cleared up 729 MB, so seems like it did a decent job, at least. I noticed my grub and initramfs were updated as part of the process, and everything seems to be working on a reboot. I'll say this is a job well done by Ubuntu/apt.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
Is there any container thingy that would give me and my friends a easy to use shareable GIF/funny pics folder? Like just box with possibility to add GIFs and stuff and then post them on forums. It should have some sort of login for uploads, but public browseable folder for guests.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Kivi posted:

Is there any container thingy that would give me and my friends a easy to use shareable GIF/funny pics folder? Like just box with possibility to add GIFs and stuff and then post them on forums. It should have some sort of login for uploads, but public browseable folder for guests.

I used pinry for that. Basically self hosted Pinterest

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
if a friend and I wanted to do offsite backups for each other what would be the best way to go about that?

SFTP?

A VPN tunnel that only points at an FTP?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

e.pilot posted:

if a friend and I wanted to do offsite backups for each other what would be the best way to go about that?

SFTP?

Every couple months, swap USB hard drive backup images you've made.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

e.pilot posted:

SFTP?

Install sanoid/syncoid and run it over ssh + tailscale

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pick your poison on the actual methodology itself but an emphatic yes to utilizing tailscale as part of it.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I still haven’t gotten around to figuring out how to dump iCloud Photos onto my nas as a physical backup. I’m extremely annoyed macOS requires the photos library to be stored on the local drive instead of a network drive, otherwise I’d be golden

I’m using the icloudpd docker image and it works great on my synology NAS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Check out memories for NC, it's quite nice

I installed and configured Memories and its really nice. Much better than the default photo's app in Nextcloud. Though it seems like you still need to keep the photos app active to keep your albums.

I especially like how it has a tool to properly import any google photos yaml metadata to the exif metadata on photos and the geolocator is nice to browse through.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Nitrousoxide posted:

I especially like how it has a tool to properly import any google photos yaml metadata to the exif metadata on photos and the geolocator is nice to browse through.

What's this now?? I just spent a ton of time (and $24) getting my exif metadata merged with the actual photos taken out of Google Takeout.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

What's this now?? I just spent a ton of time (and $24) getting my exif metadata merged with the actual photos taken out of Google Takeout.

https://memories.gallery/occ-commands/#memoriesmigrate-google-takeout

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
tried memories. nextcloud is still utter dog doodoo. photos has no way to select multiple folders and/or exclude folders, how is this feature complete in 2023? also memories app doesn't work with self signed certs. lol

its actually incredible how bad nextcloud and its ecosystem is.

anyway i finally tried Immich and its basically bulletproof. some minor quirks still but they seem to be actively developing it and it more or less works ootb

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

tried memories. nextcloud is still utter dog doodoo. photos has no way to select multiple folders and/or exclude folders, how is this feature complete in 2023? also memories app doesn't work with self signed certs. lol

anyway i finally tried Immich and its basically bulletproof. some minor quirks still but they seem to be actively developing it and it more or less works ootb

I also found Photos' inability to limit the directories to be super obnoxious. I have like 20 gigs of fanart and a 5e-tools world I backup and share with the GM that have a buttload of images between them. And Photos drags all that poo poo in and mixes it with the photos I've taken with my phone. Thankfully Memories solves that. It lets you select folders you want it to consider for its gallery so it's not displaying every photo in your user's database so it serves my purposes.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

I have Memories working just fine with my instance of SWAG. I'm not very good at troubleshooting though, just followed a SpaceInvaderOne tutorial.

For Immich, I wanted to try it but there wasn't a nice tutorial or turnkey way to install from the Community Apps store on Unraid. I'm pretty inept at command line dockering so gave up, it's very interesting to me though and would love to give it a try provided I had a good guide to get it going on my Unraid sever.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

I don't disagree with this. But what I find astounding is how much worse everything else is.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

cruft posted:

I don't disagree with this. But what I find astounding is how much worse everything else is.

Exactly this. I'm not saying I'm at all satisfied with nextcloud, but I can't find a reasonable replacement. If anyone has one please do share......

I'm not talking about running a different app for each thing. I'm talking about a single reasonable replacement for common file/photo/doc sharing nonsense.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Motronic posted:

Exactly this. I'm not saying I'm at all satisfied with nextcloud, but I can't find a reasonable replacement. If anyone has one please do share......

I'm not talking about running a different app for each thing. I'm talking about a single reasonable replacement for common file/photo/doc sharing nonsense.

I use a WebDAV server. I wouldn't call it a reasonable replacement for Nextcloud, but because it's standards-based, at least a lot of stuff can interface with it.

I'm halfway through a half-assed web based front-end to it that can sort of look like a photo album.

It pretty much sucks, but it works.

Neslepaks
Sep 3, 2003

I’m pretty happy with nextcloud tbqh. Phones upload pics automatically, files are shared, contacts are synced, calendars are calendaring. It all works and has for some years now.

Trying out some better frontends for photo browsing/searching but probably will keep the uploading through nc

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Any suggestions for an Android RSS reader that'll sync up with a selfhosted FreshRSS instance?

I can sort of get by with the mobile web interface, but a dedicated app would be ideal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

spincube posted:

Any suggestions for an Android RSS reader that'll sync up with a selfhosted FreshRSS instance?

I can sort of get by with the mobile web interface, but a dedicated app would be ideal.

Feeder should do.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Flyndre posted:

I’m using the icloudpd docker image and it works great on my synology NAS

which one are you using? boredazfcuk/icloudpd or icloudpd/icloudpd?

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

which one are you using? boredazfcuk/icloudpd or icloudpd/icloudpd?

Boredazfcuk

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Motronic posted:

I'm still using NextCloud and their terrible photo browser on a computer and "Les Pas" on my phone. It's not a great solution.

I haven't tried immich in a while. It's very promising, but very incomplete. It's probably worth a try for you )(and for me to see how far they've gotten since the last time I tried it).

The more mature one is PhotoPrism. Which bafflingly doesn't have any concept of "users". There were also some other annoyances that may have risen to the level of deal killer for me, but I don't recall them. It may very well work for you - we've all got different requirements.

immich looks cool but my TrueNAS Core box is doing handling most of my self-hosted stuff and it sounds like I need Scale to try it out. It looks like it has a photoprism plugin that can run in a jail so I'll give that a shot this weekend and see how it goes. It's just for my own personal archive of stuff dumped from my phone over the years that I can search through so hopefully it's fine for that use case.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
You could just run a linux VM for linux needs?

Photoprisms lack of mobile app / integration was its main downside for me. Single user is also dumb but may not matter to some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I've finally got around to set up Radarr, Sonarr, Prowlarr, Jellyfin and Jellyseerr on my Synology NAS, and it seems to work well.

One question: What is the workflow supposed to be like, when I add an older TV-show to Sonarr where I also want to download older seasons? For some of the shows it only finds the newest episodes. As far as I've understood, this is intended behaviour since it's based on RSS-feeds from the index providers. Do I then need to grab older episodes manually (which I've seen that I can do in the GUI), or is there a cleverer solution?