Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I don't think there are any confirmed cases of it actually happening yet but they sure are getting more aggressive with the detection and warnings recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i assume eventually they'll just block your access to youtube but not lock your entire account

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i assume eventually they'll just block your access to youtube but not lock your entire account
It would be stupid of them not to handle it that way, but otoh has Google ever blocked access to specific services rather than banning people's accounts entirely?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Cold on a Cob posted:

Why? Because it would be bad press? Lol, lmao

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mr. Crow posted:

wait are they actually locking your account for using an ad-blocker I thought that was a meme? lol if so

They're not locking it as far as I know. Just the video player stops working until you turn your ad blocker off. Or possibly if you ignore the warnings, the video player stops working period, but only while you're logged in.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're just rolling out the warnings so it's impossible to predict what will happen in the future

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just went to a random youtube and I saw a brief flash of the popup before my alternate player extension stripped it out (along with overlays, recommendations, comments, next video previews, and a bunch of other crap which is the real reason I use it). hopefully if my google account stops working in the future I'll remember to check this

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

given how ad blockers are standard kit to be able to browse the web safely it would be massively stupid for them to issue actual bans for it

which isn't to say they won't do it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what sort of dweeb visits youtube logged in lmao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

people who subscribe to youtube channels? this isn't a hard concept.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just type usernames into the address bar and they get autocompleted from history, no need to log in

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm subscribed to 448 channels

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mystes posted:

I'm subscribed to 448 channels

I have a rule that when I hit 100 I start pruning

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

I have a rule that when I hit 100 I start pruning
good idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_jtegnoq8&t=152s

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

people who subscribe to youtube channels? this isn't a hard concept.

Oh, I wondered who those people were. Never thought I'd "see" one.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Progressive JPEG posted:

what sort of dweeb visits youtube logged in lmao

seriously

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
sometimes, someone makes good videos and you want to see the next one in your subscriptions view instead of having to rely on it bubbling to the top of the algorithmically generated froth

ymmv if you don't actually watch anything like that and only look at clickbait reaction videos, of course

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jabor posted:

sometimes, someone makes good videos and you want to see the next one in your subscriptions view instead of having to rely on it bubbling to the top of the algorithmically generated froth

ymmv if you don't actually watch anything like that and only look at clickbait reaction videos, of course

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volguus posted:

Oh, I wondered who those people were. Never thought I'd "see" one.

i bet you still watch normal-rear end tv like an old person

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jabor posted:

I'm mostly fine with the default view most of the time but I just don't want to have to try to manually janitor that on each device until it shows me videos I'm interested in

The other thing that worked was using an rss reader to subscribe to channels but that was kind of a pita in its own way

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
i just subscribe to channels that make videos that i enjoy watching, and then i never interact with any of youtube while logged out, or any of its recommendations

this may also be why i never experience the "help my feed is full of right-wing neo nazi poo poo" problem :shrug: it's mostly just red panda and arcade repair videos

mystes
May 31, 2006

yeah if you use it logged out on a new device you're going to have to wait through mountains of garbage and right wing propaganda

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Zamujasa posted:

i just subscribe to channels that make videos that i enjoy watching, and then i never interact with any of youtube while logged out, or any of its recommendations

this may also be why i never experience the "help my feed is full of right-wing neo nazi poo poo" problem :shrug: it's mostly just red panda and arcade repair videos

you can also just turn off the watch history, then when you log in (on mobile via app or in a browser on desktop) your home screen is literally just blank

highly recommend

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm never logged into a youtube account so i don't worry about account things.

they popped up the nag window saying they'd block me soon for my adblocker. eventually they put up a big banner on my screen. i just selected the elements with ublock origin's dropper thingy and went on my way. the content is still loaded behind it. i can tell when the box would have popped up because the video stops playing immediately after i hit play, but i just hit play again and it does what it should.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I always thought ppl who subscribed to channels and looked at the algo youtube recommendations were stupid but I started watching youtube more after I got bad RSI from doing more productive things and now I do the stupid stuff too ;(

wonder if I’ll have the fortitude to drop it cold turkey if they force ads.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

subscribing for the specific function of using the subscriptions page to look at when people you like post new videos is fine and y'all acting like it's sinful or stupid are super loving weird

mystes
May 31, 2006

normal people log in and subscribe to channels. people in this thread are just weird

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mystes posted:

normal people log in and subscribe to channels. people in this thread are just weird

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean i kinda get being against The Algorithm just showing you increasingly crazy stuff cuz it drives engagement or whatever but the subscriptions function is literally just "show me a list in reverse chronological order of videos posted by specifically and only these people".

and honestly that's great, it's like the last big site out there that gives you the option of just showing poo poo from people you follow in the order they were posted, without trying to get all cute with suggestions or chronology or whatever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i've seen more content creators posting links with https://piped.video, which is basically just a front end for youtube

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shame Boy posted:

i mean i kinda get being against The Algorithm just showing you increasingly crazy stuff cuz it drives engagement or whatever but the subscriptions function is literally just "show me a list in reverse chronological order of videos posted by specifically and only these people".

and honestly that's great, it's like the last big site out there that gives you the option of just showing poo poo from people you follow in the order they were posted, without trying to get all cute with suggestions or chronology or whatever

I like how if you watch the latest video from a channel from your "for you page", the notification bubble that you have new unwatched videos doesn't go away.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

4lokos basilisk posted:

what is your threat model for getting locked oit of your google accounts because you used an ad blocker on youtube?

why are you logged in while using an ad blocker?

I don’t bother blocking ads. I just set it to silent and switch to another tab while it plays in the background and then come back to it later.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

also, I have a lot of accounts and I use the master account strictly for e-mail so it’s unlikely that it’ll trip any wires.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sb hermit posted:

why are you logged in while using an ad blocker?

?? i dont even use youtube much, but i mean, i'm using an ad blocker while i do anything at all, including logging into any sites. i basically only turn it off to debug broken sites and then turn it back on once i figure out why its broken.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What's the name of the feature Google developed that basically creates integrity signals for advertisement-enforced browsing clients?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

post hole digger posted:

?? i dont even use youtube much, but i mean, i'm using an ad blocker while i do anything at all, including logging into any sites. i basically only turn it off to debug broken sites and then turn it back on once i figure out why its broken.

this is in reference to people getting worried about their accounts being banned when browsing youtube with ad blockers

frankly, I’m not logged into much anything at all to minimize tracking

albeit I am logged into the apps on my iphone

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

the duck duck go browser on iOS is pretty good in my opinion

mystes
May 31, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

What's the name of the feature Google developed that basically creates integrity signals for advertisement-enforced browsing clients?
Web Integrity API?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

post hole digger posted:

woah that sounds like stealing, and have you considered that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
https://github.com/RupertBenWiser/Web-Environment-Integrity

the cowards shut down new issues after they started getting blasted over it