Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I appreciate the advice. Honestly warmth has been doable in a number of ways for me but durability has been tough. I can get a way with a lot if I rubber band the drive side cuff to stay out of the chainring, but I was hoping that cycling specific pants existed that got around that bit.
Perhaps you can consider a chain cover, then you do not need to worry about what kinds of clothes might get caught in mechanical parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is there any reason everyone doesn't use one of those? It looks like it would keep your chain much cleaner.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is there any reason everyone doesn't use one of those? It looks like it would keep your chain much cleaner.

Because Entropist doesn't ride like most people here do. For example: I want efficient gearing on my bicycles.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The $2350 fee for relinquishment of U.S. citizenship.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

How does it affect gearing?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don’t wear pants anyway, they can get brittle and snap in cold weather if plastic or rust if metal, or get hosed in a collision. Not really worth paying to maintain for me

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's because the 150 grams that thing weighs causes an unacceptable time loss preventing you from getting Strava KOMs during your commute.

I collide with tourists in the Amsterdam centre regularly and never needed to do any maintenance on the thing. In fact it reduces the amount of chain maintenance that is needed.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Entropist posted:

I collide with tourists in the Amsterdam centre regularly and never needed to do any maintenance on the thing. In fact it reduces the amount of chain maintenance that is needed.

totally normal thing to do and say

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How does it affect gearing?

You can't use derailer gears either in the front or the back with an enclosed chain case.

So you never have to do maintenance on your chain but you also can neither go up hills, nor go fast, and if you do use hub gears it'll feel like pedalling through molasses

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

To be clear I'd love to have the kind of commute where a chain case makes sense but instead I'm going to ride over a mountain later while shouting at motorists endangering me, so...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Mauser posted:

Ask anyone who has to cycle in the Amsterdam center regularly. It's an inevitability because there are hordes of them, they step into the road at random, ignore red lights and they do not know what a bike bell is.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Mauser posted:

If by normal you mean common, it is actually common for tourists in Amsterdam to get hit, usually at slow speeds, often because they simply jump into the path of a bicycle last second as they aren’t paying attention to anything/don’t think there’s any reason to learn the local standards. I see it happen every time I go and it’s the first thing my BFF who lives there reminds me of when we start biking.

If by normal you mean ‘a positive thing and not something to be trying to reduce incidence of’…

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh. My commute is pretty easy but I don't think I could do it without gear shifting. It isn't flat for even a second.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Grassy Knowles posted:

If by normal you mean common, it is actually common for tourists in Amsterdam to get hit, usually at slow speeds, often because they simply jump into the path of a bicycle last second as they aren’t paying attention to anything/don’t think there’s any reason to learn the local standards. I see it happen every time I go and it’s the first thing my BFF who lives there reminds me of when we start biking.

If by normal you mean ‘a positive thing and not something to be trying to reduce incidence of’…

Our bike paths are red because they have been painted by the blood of the tourists.

Of course I also would prefer if they followed traffic rules, collisions are not fun even if your bike is sturdy enough.

They also ruin my KOMs...

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
When I was bike touring in the Netherlands, on the type of bike Netherlanders calls "normal", it was decent enough on flat straights with no wind, but against a headwind it was meh and the few times we had to go up a hill I cried.

And even at the most optimal of times, it was both less comfortable and more work to use than a proper bike, which is a feeling I have despite growing up with the same type of bikes as entropist.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Entropist posted:

Ask anyone who has to cycle in the Amsterdam center regularly. It's an inevitability because there are hordes of them, they step into the road at random, ignore red lights and they do not know what a bike bell is.

Sounds like the Dutch are pedaling too fast. You all should slow down a bit and be careful around pedestrians.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Mauser posted:

Sounds like the Dutch are pedaling too fast. You all should slow down a bit and be careful around pedestrians.

LOL

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

raggedphoto posted:

:argh: I chatted with some mechanics about switching to a belt drive for my HSD since it already has the frame for it and they were like yeah... no.
Yeah it'll cost you a mint

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're fiddly, bike model specific, make maintenance more annoying, crack in the sun (or from impacts). Still worth it for a urban/commuter IGH and single speeds.

Phosphine posted:

And even at the most optimal of times, it was both less comfortable and more work to use than a proper bike, which is a feeling I have despite growing up with the same type of bikes as entropist.
In the netherlands my "normal" bike was belt+IGH hybrid, but I also definitely had an omafiets for pub crawling and shenanigans.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 18, 2023

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

They're fiddly, bike model specific, make maintenance more annoying, crack in the sun (or from impacts). Still worth it for a urban/commuter IGH and single speeds.

My summer bike has a lacquered chain case, and I think I'm up around 10 years on the same chain. It'd have been more, if I hadn't changed it out when I changed cog sizes. It's still not even on the first notch of my chain wear indicator. It just gets some chain oil whenever I have to open the case.

The plastic ones I've worked one aren't that much more trouble than your average Swedish hockey stick chain protector. Either way, they're getting unscrewed before I start feeding chain etc, but the hockey stick doesn't do anything to help chain life.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

My summer bike has a lacquered chain case, and I think I'm up around 10 years on the same chain. It'd have been more, if I hadn't changed it out when I changed cog sizes. It's still not even on the first notch of my chain wear indicator. It just gets some chain oil whenever I have to open the case.

The plastic ones I've worked one aren't that much more trouble than your average Swedish hockey stick chain protector. Either way, they're getting unscrewed before I start feeding chain etc, but the hockey stick doesn't do anything to help chain life.
Yeah full chain cases really shine on utility bikes. You just *never* have to worry about greased pants, and functionally never have to replace your chains. I just wish the ones I've had weren't so loving fiddly.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Since y'all already engaged with them, I guess I'll respond. In the winter they also just fill up with slush while you're riding, and then your whole drivetrainfreezes in place while you work. Plastic ones break from getting brittle in the cold when you try to clean them out. Metal ones won't break as easily but they'll still slush up and rust quickly. That's assuming I could fit one to an old mountain bike. Having boots that I can tuck pants into or tight fitting pants is more practical for the winter commute.

This is not a quaint Dutch town:

Neurostorm
Sep 2, 2011
Does anyone have recommendations for good panniers? I'm commuting ~ 6 miles by ebike (specialized Turbo Vado 3.0) in San Diego, so doesn't need to be intensely waterproof. My load is generally pretty light (change of clothes + lunch + occassionally stopping to get some groceries).

Also, what do people think of those handlebar mirrors that let you see behind you without turning your head? I've been commuting via bike for years and never had them, but it does feel like not having to take my eyes off the road ahead of me to look behind me would be useful?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Neurostorm posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good panniers? I'm commuting ~ 6 miles by ebike (specialized Turbo Vado 3.0) in San Diego, so doesn't need to be intensely waterproof. My load is generally pretty light (change of clothes + lunch + occassionally stopping to get some groceries).

Also, what do people think of those handlebar mirrors that let you see behind you without turning your head? I've been commuting via bike for years and never had them, but it does feel like not having to take my eyes off the road ahead of me to look behind me would be useful?

I've used a few styles. I prefer the mind that clips to my helmet vs. the bar end style.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Neurostorm posted:

Consider getting a clip-on side pannier and a cheap-rear end basket. I have the basket on the right to protect the chain / gearing.

The basket I use is cut to prevent foot strikes, which is a nice feature:
https://www.basil.com/en/tour-left-single-pannier-bag-black.html
I don't think Basil sells very much in the US, though.

Groda fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Oct 23, 2023

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Neurostorm posted:

My partner's new ebike came with a bar-end mirror we installed on the left side and it owns. It's nice being able to see cars before they buzz you and having extra visibility when you take the lane. It makes the bars annoyingly wide, but you can fold it in when you're not using it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Neurostorm posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for good panniers? I'm commuting ~ 6 miles by ebike (specialized Turbo Vado 3.0) in San Diego, so doesn't need to be intensely waterproof. My load is generally pretty light (change of clothes + lunch + occassionally stopping to get some groceries)
Whatever ortlieb fits your needs.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

One of my ortlieb panniers came with two female clips instead of a female and male and so it is incompatible with the shoulder strap it shipped with, no response from their support. The panniers are great otherwise but that chuffs me for such a pricey product.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

One of my ortlieb panniers came with two female clips instead of a female and male and so it is incompatible with the shoulder strap it shipped with, no response from their support. The panniers are great otherwise but that chuffs me for such a pricey product.
That's hosed up. I've only had to contact support once to replace a plastic piece I destroyed and they pointed me to the right part. Did you try the place you got it from?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

evil_bunnY posted:

We need to teach Americans that it's literally legal to buy something other than Ortlieb.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have a waterproof Vaude brand pannier bag that I'm very happy with. IIRC it was similar in price to an ortlieb but they had one in the color I wanted in stock locally.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

Neurostorm posted:

I picked up Trieye glasses with an integrated mirror. It's a bit fiddly at the start of a ride, but gets me eye protection and more awareness in one device.

There's another set of glasses from Britain that aren't adjustable but have a bigger mirror surface.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Groda posted:

We need to teach Americans that it's literally legal to buy something other than Ortlieb.
Only Berlin hipsters and foreigners use those here. Get something that's sturdy and good value for money like Basil, or perhaps Dutch Mountains if you're feeling fancy. That way you aren't mainly paying for someone's advertising campaign. Making everyone buy that expensive Ortlieb stuff is a great way to increase the barrier to entry of bike commuting.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

My current pair of (UK) winter gloves are falling apart. Does anyone have recommendations for cold/wet weather gloves for temps between 4 and 10C? My budget is <40 quid.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Entropist posted:

Only Berlin hipsters and foreigners use those here. Get something that's sturdy and good value for money like Basil, or perhaps Dutch Mountains if you're feeling fancy. That way you aren't mainly paying for someone's advertising campaign. Making everyone buy that expensive Ortlieb stuff is a great way to increase the barrier to entry of bike commuting.

Don’t know why you think ortlieb are expensive, they’re cheaper than any other fully waterproof panniers as far as I’m aware. Hard to buy a decent rucksack for less certainly.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

My current pair of (UK) winter gloves are falling apart. Does anyone have recommendations for cold/wet weather gloves for temps between 4 and 10C? My budget is <40 quid.

I have some Shimano ones that are great, albeit the waterproof coating is not as good as it was. I got them from Decathlon, go have a look there imo for that price range.

Other good cheap stuff is at Galibier.cc. I didn’t like their deep winter gloves, but they have Ardennes light winter ones that might be good for you. That said, for anything outside of very long wet rides on the colder side, I’d wear the nice cheap Galibier Roubaix gloves.

I hear good things about Castelli Perfetto RoS ones, though they’re pricy.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wooger posted:

Don’t know why you think ortlieb are expensive, they’re cheaper than any other fully waterproof panniers as far as I’m aware. Hard to buy a decent rucksack for less certainly.

There's cheaper waterproof options, tho the price variation isn't huge (at least in the US). I find Ortlieb to be the thickest and most durable I've experienced. It's not just marketing -- all that extra weight does make a difference.
But I would argue that it's not necessary depending on your commute.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I once filled 2 Ortlieb panniers with heavy used car parts that I to a shop for repair, I was certain they would tear but they held up just fine. There maybe cheaper/better options but it's hard to argue with their track record.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I've had axiom panniers for like 15 years now and they've held up great, but they cost about as much as ortlieb now. The problem is that everything bicycle-related in the US has to have an insane markup on it in order to bilk middle-aged freds (:wave:) so there really isn't much of a cheaper alternative. Is there a recommended model for amazon/aliexpress allcaps panniers?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groda posted:

I'm not americans and we need to teach americans to buy ortliebs until something better becomes widely available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

wooger posted:

I think they're relatively expensive in the US? In the EU anything marginally cheaper is also orders of magnitude less good.