Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you hitting monsters with?
Bow
Charge Blade
Dual Blades
Great Sword
Gunlance
Hammer
Heavy Bowgun
Hunting Horn
Insect Glaive
Lance
Light Bowgun
Longsword
Switch Axe
Sword and Shield
View Results

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Zore posted:

The worst part of being an IG main is that the weapon was at its peak in 4U and everything since has been kinda meh. They keep not giving it anything exciting or new and loving with Kinsects to constantly make them slower for no real reason.

I didn’t play with it much in 4, but I really like its new toys in Sunbreak. Powder vortex is a fun alternate style and I like the assist bugs that join in your combos and give the buff extend clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I liked World IG a lot.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
IG was only at its best in 4U because its MVs were insanely busted

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Snake Maze posted:

I didn’t play with it much in 4, but I really like its new toys in Sunbreak. Powder vortex is a fun alternate style and I like the assist bugs that join in your combos and give the buff extend clouds.

Same! I love playing the floor is lava while I spin around like a demented helicopter and make things explode. Rise IG owns.

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Rise made aerial combat actually good and not take six thousand years, plus added in alternate playstyles for the weapon, therefore Rise is the best.

Meanwhile in my 4u insect glaive fresh file, I have to keep a chart open and some notes next to me on how to upgrade my kinsect.... for each individual weapon. Aerial doesn't exist. You do hit like a truck, and I think the animations feel weightier and make the timings make sense in a way world and rise don't, but....

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone here with an opinion on God Eater 3?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Rinkles posted:

It’s cheap

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I did get it in the bundle

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rinkles posted:

It's very anime if that bothers you, and gameplay loop is different to MonHun because no matter the weapon you have the ability to monch things to get a power up. The weapons are also relatively unique compared to MonHun and while there are some parallels there really isn't any 1 to 1 comparisons.

It didn't quite grab me like MonHun, but the first really big boss fight was cool and the music is great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Rinkles posted:

More specifically I've only played God Eater 1 so far (on PSP and later on steam - it's bundled for free with God Eater 2) and it's this weird combination of extremely anime, weirdly compelling, clunky (it's a PSP game) and I suck at coming back to it despite liking it.

If you don't mind the anime, the story is actually compelling imho (part of why I like it). Humanity is doomed because evil monsters have invaded, they can only be killed by your oversized weapons (that fuse with your body and are at risk of turning and eating you), and you actually get a little invested in the wellbeing of your fellow hunters, as they replace the role of Palicos in the gameplay loop - bring your best bud along because she'll heal you and provide ranged support, bring along your boss because he's great at drawing aggro, etc. (Or go solo!)

The gameplay loop is extremely "we played Freedom Unite and loved it" - at the hub, equip yourself -> take mission -> mission is in an arena with multiple areas and gather points -> take loot home and upgrade gear -> repeat.

It's faster than FU, the weapons are different (giant scythe!) but some are familiar (lance! poke poke poke) and it has a neat gimmick of your weapon can morph into a gun at any time to shoot enemies (bullets are limited, gain them back by doing damage) or morph into a mouth to take a chomp out of the enemy for a powerup / powerful bullet.

Monsters are the same - breakable parts, distinctive, you really get to know them. I like the horror vibe so I like looking at 'em.

Finally, GE1 and 2 were made by the same dev, then they handed it off to another dev for God Eater 3 as they were busy making Code Vein. I've heard GE3 is good but a step down in quality, but can't verify that myself. Fortunately if you're curious, all three go on sale for cheap, so they're easy to check out if you're curious and want a faster anime MonHun clone.

The anime litmus test: if you can watch the opening of GE1 and not think "that's too much anime" you're good to go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqgnrcTBSA

A youtube video essay on the trilogy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqxhafoutcU

Finally, a few of my screenshots from GE1 on steam. I made my character very anime because Why Not.

e: it does make me sad that I can't be an anime catgirl when I'm fighting rathalos. he deserves me at my best.

e2: aha they are on sale.

https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34010/GOD_EATER_TRILOGY/ <-- trilogy bundle, 14$ for all three games, honestly a great price for what you're getting.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 19, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

and fanmerch shill:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shikafy/monster-hunter-enamel-pins

I need this stretch goal so bad omg

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Both Zinogre and Mizu are locked and they're the only ones I want. Life is suffering. Ya'll better help get them unlocked.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

lagiacrus locked :argh:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

God Eater 3 felt a bit more coherent mechanically (weapons and the various systems felt better developed, custom bullets not as insane as 2's) but also very strongly felt like it did not have much budget, and the fashion was very weak compared to the prior games (hope you like electrical tape). I think overall it got better with every iteration but still had a ways to go, and it's always good to have a competitor with a unique flavor, though I'm guessing like Toukiden it's probably dead forever now. I also liked a lot of the monster designs, and the music is good if things like the anime theme song kicking in during enrages works for you.

The pace of the game is much faster than even Rise, and it's expected that you'll be playing co-op or with AI partners because some central mechanics are much less accessible without them and monsters and their attacks are fast enough that you can't really do your big hitter attacks unless someone else has their attention.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I do love how they reserve “Proof of a hero” for very few fights each game. Don’t even care what fight it is, it gets me every time. If it came up every time a monster got a little angry it wouldn’t have nearly the same impact.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played a bit of GE3, and (unsurprisingly) it reminded me of Freedom Wars (which I never got too deep into). On paper they may look very similar to Monster Hunter, but they play quite differently. The combat is faster, and less deliberate. Not sure if that means easier, but it might make for a good brain-off grinding game. Also very different approach to environments. In Rise they’re a character in themselves, whilst here they’re barely disguised flat arenas (part of that no doubt is the budget they were working with).

Pity about the limited dress up options. I know it’s silly but cosmetics often end up being the biggest motivators for me in loot games.

Zodar
May 21, 2007

the God Eater games are Monster Hunter on whippits. really dumb in ways that are fun until they become boring. the plot is anime lorep ipsum for kids who like Tokyo Ghoul; all cutscenes are thankfully skippable, but there will always be anime teens yelling at you over comms. it is very easy to "level up" a particular move in your moveset (the biggest form of character progression outside of crafting new gear from monster parts) to the point where spamming it for the entire hunt is your most efficient course of action. you will start to get 2-3 minute clears without too much optimization.

you can get up to some real bullshit with the bullet crafting system and its surprisingly granular "state engine" logic. speed clears of the endgame content become very funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF4YLZ-s7lQ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah I’ll never say “play god eater over monster hunter” for a variety of reasons but I just can’t hate it and wish we’d get ge4.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

chumbler posted:

custom bullets not as insane as 2's

Aw man, that was the best part

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BMan posted:

Aw man, that was the best part

I don't think they changed anything about the actual programming portion of it, though I never went too deep into it because I'm more of a swing sword guy, it was just you had significantly more limited uses of them so you couldn't just like gates of babylon a monster from start to finish. In 2 it was just pick the gun type that lets you stock extra ammo and then just spam super expensive insane custom bullets.

I think the most complex bullet I ever made was one that made an orbiting thing on hit that fired like a flamethrower inward. I don't know if it was even all that effective.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

God Eater sure loves it's button combos

guard on RB + B?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Rinkles posted:

God Eater sure loves it's button combos

guard on RB + B?

Whats the different between that RB+B input and the other RB+B input above it (gun special action), one is hold and one is tap?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Whats the different between that RB+B input and the other RB+B input above it (gun special action), one is hold and one is tap?

without looking I'd guess that they're based on what mode you're in - gun vs weapon

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
A gun is a weapon

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

getting back into third gen, just did a multi-monster hunt, hey why are all my carves replaced with mega potions

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Kaubocks posted:

getting back into third gen, just did a multi-monster hunt, hey why are all my carves replaced with mega potions

It's a hunt-a-thon! The actual rewards at the end are heightened to make up for it I think.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I remember the 4u zinogre huntathon where I would kill a zinogre and the next one would literally just fall from the sky in front of me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Are there any notable event quest rewards like how in MHW you had attack decos and stuff from some of them?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

went back to 4U and finally got it. clear time 43'12"13 :shepface: hate this monster hate this game grrr hate hate hate

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Gogma is cool and good though

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

The brave words of someone who time has smoothed over all memory's rough edges

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PathAsc posted:

design-wise it's an absolutely amazing monster and one of my favorites in the series. the fight however....

i went in with fully upgraded (dragon) dual blades, ate for attack L, armor set has attack up XL and challenger +2, ate mega demondrugs, powercharm and powertalon in inventory, i landed 5 dragonator shots, landed the demolisher and knocked off and used the dragonator on its back and i brought and landed a full stack of battlequarters ballista ammo

and i still only had 6 minutes left on the clock before quest time out

gog solo at rank-appropriate gear is a nightmare

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It was never meant to be soloed, and the fact that you accomplished it is more a credit to your skill rather than an admonishment of the devs'. We're thankfully past that era of multiplayer-only never-scaling stuff, so we shouldn't have a real problem like that again, save for another Behemoth/Leshen situation, at least.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PathAsc posted:

gogma balls lmao gotem

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

you can tell i’m playing 3u because i have to keep going out to moga woods to manually cook meat

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

you can tell i’m playing 3u because i have to keep going out to moga woods to manually cook meat

imo this is the weirdest thing about 3u considering mhfu before it had a way to cook meat automatically, mhp3rd had a way, 4u after it had a way..... it's only 3u that doesn't have a way to either automatically cook meat while you're on a quest or cook like 10 at once :iiam:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

This is Dos and Tri erasure

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

felgs posted:

This is Dos and Tri erasure

nature is harsh

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Your Computer posted:

nature is harsh

What's done is done, and we've survived to live another day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's wild how niantic managed to screw up even a softball event like halloween. Not that it matters much but this is the last bit of proof I need that Now isn't going to get any better and uninstalled it.