Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"I don't need to go to the toilet! I don't need to! *has screaming meltdown*"

5 minutes later guess who pissed their pants?

god damnit, she knows perfectly well how to use the toilet and when she needs it and she does it at nursery but as soon as we switch from pull up nappies at home it's nope, we're gonna regress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
daughter is 16mo now and we’ve been going pantsless at home for a while, it’s a mix of going to the potty, peeing, and emptying it by herself to starting to piss on the floor and being weirded out so she starts backing to get away from it leading to a puddle at least a meter long…

also I don’t know if I’ve bragged about his already but if you ask her “what sound does daddy make?” she blows fart noises. also if you ask her what sound she makes:allears:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

god damnit, she knows perfectly well how to use the toilet and when she needs it and she does it at nursery but as soon as we switch from pull up nappies at home it's nope, we're gonna regress
regressions are rough. there are just so many of them

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hey, sometimes it just sneaks up on me and I resent you bringing it to the forums

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my boy is starting to pull himself up on things and is able to get onto his feet by himself. once he's there all he can do is stand pretty much. hoping he'll start to figure out surfing soon.

he keeps falling over though, i think he's had like 2 or 3 falls today? just leans over too much and whoops!

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
went and met my newest nephew today. poor little bugger has been in the nicu for the last week or so because he had some heart issues that were detected before he was botn, and now those are fine but his O2 levels aren’t where they need to be, so it sounds like he’ll be in there for at least another couple days

he’s eating/pissing/shidding/farding/crying normally though, so i’m just waiting patiently for him to go home

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i bet it's extra annoying to be in that room with him if his o2 levels are fucky. at the nicu my son was in they had audible alarms for everything, so if his stats dipped too low you'd hear a *bong ... bong ... bong* and if it was way too low you'd hear *BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP* and the nurse would run in.

one time my wife was doing skin-to-skin with our son and it started picking up both their heartbeats on the monitor, so it'd start freaking out when it'd accidentally register 200bpm or whatever lmao. then go back to normal when it locked on his heart rhythm.

LieutenantFrost
Aug 9, 2009
he’s up to normal-enough levels, he just can’t sustain them. dude is a couple days premature, so we’re all assuming it’ll improve with time, which all signs are pointing to

he has to either way, i already have plans for him in his part in my world conquest

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
ours spent like 4 weeks in nicu because she kept having o2 problems when she’d get into the car seat

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
drat man that must have been hard

thank christ for medical science huh. well should probably thank others and not christ but you know what I mean

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

kitten emergency posted:

ours spent like 4 weeks in nicu because she kept having o2 problems when she’d get into the car seat

lmao that's got to be frustrating as hell. thankfully my boy passed the carseat test the first time.

(as context, before they discharge a baby from the nicu they have to sit in a car seat for 90 minutes and their oxygen level can't drop during the test).

he just refused to eat very well for about a month. still doesn't, he's chugging along at like 10-15th percentile weight i guess he's just a tiny dude.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Scene: we are in a cafe, I have just told my daughter off for something

My wife: what's the matter? Why are you upset?
My daughter: daddy touched me!
Me: oh my god what
My wife: lol oh no
My daughter: he touched me!

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
my 8 year old boy replaced the empty TP roll, something he definitely didn’t learn from my wife…

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scene: we are in a cafe, I have just told my daughter off for something

My wife: what's the matter? Why are you upset?
My daughter: daddy touched me!
Me: oh my god what
My wife: lol oh no
My daughter: he touched me!

fuckkn lol

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
my sweet child has learned how to open doors. guess how we found out?

the wife was with her in a coffee shop in one of those small, middle of the cafe bathrooms and she just walked out and left the door open, leaving mommy stuck on the pot lmao

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lmao

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Mr. Crow posted:

my sweet child has learned how to open doors. guess how we found out?

the wife was with her in a coffee shop in one of those small, middle of the cafe bathrooms and she just walked out and left the door open, leaving mommy stuck on the pot lmao

the other week i saw a public bathroom that had a folding seat to lock your baby in while you took a dump

i'd never seen that before and honestly the circumstance one could use that would be very specific but i'm sure it saved someone

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
wife took the kids to nanas house yesterday at noon. just us two for the entire week. the first floor is picked up, counters/table wiped, floor vacuumed, and will stay that way. :hellyeah:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i threw a ball backwards and forwards over a goal post at a park next to where we’re staying at the moment

I biked there, he ran … and we got there and threw a ball. we passed that mf until it was barely possible to see and then I biked home thru these quiet suburban streets

I grew up in a nation that revered rugby, at least when I was a kid. and tbh I like rugby except not quite enough to go out of my way to watch it but I do like that poo poo and so to conclude at some time that an american football is a superior passing object was difficult. I was not equipped to deal with this reality . but I had to learn and now I can accept that this disparate accounts of facts are
a bistable reality

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s the single best post I have ever made

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

echinopsis posted:

that’s the single best post I have ever made

I’m just honoured to be here to witness it

my wife and I are away on our honeymoon, and my 16-yo daughter was at our otherwise-empty house (instead of at her mother’s) until 2:30am last night with a kid who she is Just Friends With but who brought her flowers and gifts for her birthday on multiple days last week, so I guess it’s time for the practical birth control conversation

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

echinopsis posted:

i threw a ball backwards and forwards over a goal post at a park next to where we’re staying at the moment

I biked there, he ran … and we got there and threw a ball. we passed that mf until it was barely possible to see and then I biked home thru these quiet suburban streets

I grew up in a nation that revered rugby, at least when I was a kid. and tbh I like rugby except not quite enough to go out of my way to watch it but I do like that poo poo and so to conclude at some time that an american football is a superior passing object was difficult. I was not equipped to deal with this reality . but I had to learn and now I can accept that this disparate accounts of facts are
a bistable reality

I grew up watching rugby union and Gaelic, and yeah lol. American football slots right in there for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I grew up watching rugby union and Gaelic, and yeah lol. American football slots right in there for me

american football seems like a game between two coaches and the players are their chess pawns. almost like a game of strategy

does my head in how often the play stops. sometimes you see these long plays where there is lots of passing and etc and it’s like “this was good football”, but that’s what rugby is like most of the time. at least good rugby

rugby league is fun to play in person but imo boring to watch. rugby union when it’s good is one of the best sports to watch, because despite all of the great plays and stuff, those dudes are huge and make insane tackles etc. lol remember when jonah lomu came on the scene and literally ran over england?

now pacific islanders are big in american football I believe? those genetics are insane. certain african genetics may be good for sprinting but when it comes to sheer volume as a human not many touch pacific islanders god. my son is a wee white boy and rugby was good until they got to puberty age and then gOD drat the boys from the side of town that have lots of islanders… you’d feel like a very bad parent putting your 12yo son in a rugby team when they’re playing island boys who are like 85kg at 13yo ..

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

must be all that sweet potato they’re eating.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lmao we’re at a park doing zip lines and my son says “dad watch this!”, and expect him to do some hanging trick or whatever but she just starts zip lining and then sparks a cigarette lighter a couple times

🥹 so proud

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool fact we call them “flying foxes”

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

awww yeah the poop went in the toilet, I've never been so happy to see a turd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
turn on your monitor

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

turn on your monitor

mate....

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

big a achievements on this page

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oh yeah well my kid pooped in the potty too.

he's so good at it he did it three times in an hour yesterday morning at daycare so they sent him home and we have to keep him here for today too.

he did get some on his underwear on the last run to the potty which the daycare responded to by cutting off his favorite pair of dinosaur underwear. the admin claimed it was a big mess but the fact that there was zero poop marks anywhere in his jeans and he told me about what size it was (and he likes to exaggerate how much he poops)... yeah I'm not buying it being anything other than them taking the easy way out. I know they are down a float teacher because they hadn't been able to find someone to replace a teacher who just left despite having a month notice.

we're switching to a new non-chain daycare with like a decade of immaculate inspection reports, but the slots don't open up until January. it sucks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

on a related note, if I am made ruler for a day one of my decrees will be that any piece of children's clothing which is sold as part of a multipack must also be offered for individual purchase (or a multipack of just that design) at roughly the same unit cost.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would make children's shoes less expensive because jfc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would make children's shoes less expensive because jfc

they only need to last a few months before they’re outgrown, so I think they’re probably overbuilding them

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Subjunctive posted:

they only need to last a few months before they’re outgrown, so I think they’re probably overbuilding them

They need to last a year once the kids are older, but yeah, it's frustrating to have to buy this stuff that's just going to wear out anyway. I really wish that recycling baby things was more widely done.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

we've been getting my wife's cousin's hand-me-downs and it's great. haven't bought baby clothes for a while.

gonna have to buy some bigger socks though, hopefully grippy ones.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

my boy learned a new trick today. when we put him down for a nap he just crawled to the edge of his crib and stood up until he started crying because he's not good at getting back down.

one weird trick to avoid a nap.

now i've got to stand him up in his pack and play and let his legs tire out before putting him down for a nap.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I dunno if he did it on purpose or if he was just coincidentally chewing on his arm, but junior mayo clinic coughed into his elbow today instead of directly into my eyeball and I wanna bottle that feeling.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Eeyo posted:

my boy learned a new trick today. when we put him down for a nap he just crawled to the edge of his crib and stood up until he started crying because he's not good at getting back down.

one weird trick to avoid a nap.

now i've got to stand him up in his pack and play and let his legs tire out before putting him down for a nap.

lol the stage between learning to stand and learning to sit is fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

They need to last a year once the kids are older, but yeah, it's frustrating to have to buy this stuff that's just going to wear out anyway. I really wish that recycling baby things was more widely done.

yeah we took all our stuff to a local women’s shelter before my wife’s sisters had kids, and they were grateful for it. dunno how common that setup is elsewhere, though