Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Valentin posted:

finally picking this up for the first time. how does one...make combat fun? A lot of it feels very uninteractive, which is not quite the word I want but will have to stand in. all individual playstyles feel too repetitive and centralized around a single answer. hacking in the early game (?; I am bouncing around the map start of act 2, all tier 2 equipment with tier 3 starting to appear) is nice for the world interaction stuff but boring in combat. the monowire is fine but I find the lack of perks irksome. I like blades if only because letting me block bullets means I can actually respond to ranged opponents while closing. I think the gunplay is just okay? tech guns feel pointlessly cordoned off and smart guns feel like a patch on the gunplay not feeling great. I like stealth because it actually lets me engage with level layout and enemy positioning but it gets repetitive fast. I imagine some of my complaints about melee feeling uninteractive could be answered by the sandevistan but I'm leery of giving up the world interaction from the cyberdeck. if the answer is just that the only thing at the center of the venn diagram of my persnickety complaints is cyberdecking with my sick katana and a silenced assault rifle for stealth headshots I'm prepared to accept that, but it seems like builds in this require some degree of commitment so I don't want to overlook the possibility of other things that might be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Mesadoram posted:

It was a lot of fun! Very chaotic with a ton of tough enemies. Contagion+Synapse to the heavy enemies made the fight SO much easier.

Putting this out there, contagion+overheat count toward the grenade’s quickhack ram reduction buff. Turn everyone and everything into a bomb…more so if you use contagion with a thermal mono-wire.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 24, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I love doing this in slow motion then turning it off and having all the enemies fall down at once.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Valentin posted:

finally picking this up for the first time. how does one...make combat fun? A lot of it feels very uninteractive, which is not quite the word I want but will have to stand in. all individual playstyles feel too repetitive and centralized around a single answer. hacking in the early game (?; I am bouncing around the map start of act 2, all tier 2 equipment with tier 3 starting to appear) is nice for the world interaction stuff but boring in combat. the monowire is fine but I find the lack of perks irksome. I like blades if only because letting me block bullets means I can actually respond to ranged opponents while closing. I think the gunplay is just okay? tech guns feel pointlessly cordoned off and smart guns feel like a patch on the gunplay not feeling great. I like stealth because it actually lets me engage with level layout and enemy positioning but it gets repetitive fast. I imagine some of my complaints about melee feeling uninteractive could be answered by the sandevistan but I'm leery of giving up the world interaction from the cyberdeck. if the answer is just that the only thing at the center of the venn diagram of my persnickety complaints is cyberdecking with my sick katana and a silenced assault rifle for stealth headshots I'm prepared to accept that, but it seems like builds in this require some degree of commitment so I don't want to overlook the possibility of other things that might be fun.

also when should I do phantom liberty in relation to character level and also main quest
Do what you think is fun or stylish instead of optimal. Is airdashing into a Kerenzikov slow motion shooting spree with my hacker really necessary? No, but it seems fun as hell. Same reason I'm sticking it out with revolvers, when im not whipping out the monowire and using finishers to fund Suicide hacks. I need to add contagion so i can blow up more grenades too.

And when that isn't fun do something else. You have a ton of combat options in the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Back Hack posted:

Putting this out there, contagion+overheat count toward the grenade’s quickhack ram reduction buff. Turn everyone and everything into a bomb…more so if you use contagion with a thermal mono-wire.

Holy poo poo what? I gotta try that out later!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah I have heard good things about throwing knives. is there much synergy there with blades generally? or are they basically totally separate

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think they count as blades for melee but you really don’t want to use knives in melee

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Holy poo poo what? I gotta try that out later!

Environmental explosives are also a great way to get free grenade explosions, since triggering them costs maybe 2 RAM and can do a ton of damage, which also procs the Detonate Grenade cost reduction. I think any source of burning detonating a Contagion counts, so using incendiary grenades/PLS or a fire weapon should do it too.

A tech/int character should be able to to do stupid things with explosives, and that may be my next perk respec for fun.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Basic Chunnel posted:

I think they count as blades for melee but you really don’t want to use knives in melee

Throw knife doing massive damage and then leap 30 meters for a finisher is my kind of melee.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Valentin posted:

yeah I have heard good things about throwing knives. is there much synergy there with blades generally? or are they basically totally separate

swords and throwing knives/axes are different classes of weapons and have separate perk trees, yeah. sword perks are in reflexes and knife perks are in cool. you could easily spec into both though, and there's a unique knife/sword set called "satori" and "nehan" you can find during the relic heist that basically deletes dudes and restores your health if you hit them with one then the other

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Arc Hammer posted:

Play Witcher 3.

It's on my list, but I kinda want to play 1 and 2 first.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Did they have any video explaining how Idris Elba's mocap + dialogue was captured and in what sequence relative to other actors? If Keanu is kind of alone and doesn't get a lot of cues and prompts with context that doesn't make his job easier. If Elba has prerecorded dialogue from other voice actors with scenes being shown to him about what's going on then he's almost certainly going to have an advantage over an actor without that context.

The audio mixing that's done in some dialogue helps significantly for more realistic situations where some people might talk simultaneously as well and interrupt each other. That seems hard to execute in a natural manner IMO and the way lines get delivered WRT a scene seems to need a ton of tuning to get done right, especially across different localizations.

I really have to admit that at first PL seemed like a pretty meh proposition given the sheer amount of detective noir type of stories in the cyberpunk genre but they stuck with a lot of tropes and still managed to come up with something compelling because the characters are so incredibly well fleshed out and acted. Which is pretty much why I think of CDPR as a movie studio that likes to make games rather than a game studio making complex animations with excellent actors. On the other hand, for 2.0 whoever CDPR had to redo the combat flow, perks, and itemization did an admirable job and it is far beyond what I ever expected of the team. It is straight up fun and surprisingly well balanced in terms of options available to players.

And seriously, I am so, so hoping that CDPR picks up a horror IP somehow later because their strengths in good set pieces and environmental design now would work super well for horror games that don't necessarily have a ton of action happening in a scene. If they manage to take over what Paradox can't do with the Vampire series they would be a strong contender for a dev worthy of taking the torch.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Slapped Hackatomy (the smart chimera core mod) into an L-69 ZHUO and it's very dumb. Just tons of hits, a few hacks, kinda fun. Might end up throwing it in the Kappa XMOD instead, but for now it's more fun than the Gian, which doesn't really put enough lead downrange for the hacking to do anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
I've decided not to do smartguns. I don't exactly love any of the smartguns besides Skippy, so wiping out whole gangs with Overcock/hacks/smartgun gets repetitive very quickly, so I'm putting all those perks into monowire. In the process of writing this post I remembered that now I don't need TECH 20 to craft Adam Smasher's gun, so I should probably play around with it first.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how do you do leaping melee attacks? I'm trying dash and punch/clas, but more often than not I'm not exactly the dash distance away, so I fall shorts or bounce off the enemy at the end and the melee attack doesn't land.

is there some qte combo or button I'm missing

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

skeletronics posted:

Witcher 1 really didn't age well in any way (gameplay, graphics, #MeToo, and just general fun) so don't feel obligated to play it. Witcher 2 is still pretty enjoyable. But you don't have to play the first 2 to enjoy 3. A YouTube summary would be a lot less painful.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
One thing I DO NOT like about 2.0 is that it appears that almost all of the various ability checks in the game are leveled now, and they scale up as you go. I’ll find a door that requires 7 body when I have 5, and come back in 2 levels with 7 body, and now it needs 9. Also, all these access points that I’d love to hack want 5 Int and I have 4 now. But I know if I invest the point, very soon I’ll need 7 instead. Or worse yet, pure flavor dialog options like telling Jackie to change up the exhaust on his bike, which used to be a straight 4 or 5 Tech check, but when I did the Pickup at level 13 it needed 11 Tech.

Like, it basically becomes pointless to build with “get enough X to open doors or get loot” unless you are building around that stat as primary from the start. My plan was “focus on Cool while keeping Tech and Body high enough to open doors” and as I approach level 20, that’s basically not possible. I have to just be “focus on tech and body” if I don’t want to pass those locked doors by.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

how do you do leaping melee attacks? I'm trying dash and punch/clas, but more often than not I'm not exactly the dash distance away, so I fall shorts or bounce off the enemy at the end and the melee attack doesn't land.

is there some qte combo or button I'm missing

For blades it's a perk you can get for strong attacks.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Chevy Slyme posted:

One thing I DO NOT like about 2.0 is that it appears that almost all of the various ability checks in the game are leveled now, and they scale up as you go. I’ll find a door that requires 7 body when I have 5, and come back in 2 levels with 7 body, and now it needs 9. Also, all these access points that I’d love to hack want 5 Int and I have 4 now. But I know if I invest the point, very soon I’ll need 7 instead. Or worse yet, pure flavor dialog options like telling Jackie to change up the exhaust on his bike, which used to be a straight 4 or 5 Tech check, but when I did the Pickup at level 13 it needed 11 Tech.

Like, it basically becomes pointless to build with “get enough X to open doors or get loot” unless you are building around that stat as primary from the start. My plan was “focus on Cool while keeping Tech and Body high enough to open doors” and as I approach level 20, that’s basically not possible. I have to just be “focus on tech and body” if I don’t want to pass those locked doors by.

Yeah, a lot of people are unhappy, there is a mod to fix it: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/9388?tab=description

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Potato Salad posted:

how do you do leaping melee attacks?
Not my name but I’m doing well thanks

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
really recommend getting the dogtown checkpoint bypass here

and i just read a spam email from "johnny silverhand" saying he's alive and needs money to build a house in south america and i can't believe relic johnny doesn't comment on it at all. wasted opportunity imo

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Eason the Fifth posted:

Witcher 1 really didn't age well in any way (gameplay, graphics, #MeToo, and just general fun) so don't feel obligated to play it. Witcher 2 is still pretty enjoyable. But you don't have to play the first 2 to enjoy 3. A YouTube summary would be a lot less painful.

I need to finish Cyberpunk first. God dammit, I'm going to finish a game in 2023. Never played the first Witcher game, but years ago I started a playthrough of Witcher 2. Not sure how far I got. The last place I remember being is some mountain town with a bunch of dwarves. Not sure how much fun I'd have replaying all that, so yeah, I'll probably just read a synopsis.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rawrbomb posted:

Yeah, a lot of people are unhappy, there is a mod to fix it: https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/9388?tab=description

Thanks for this. I'm weirdly skittish about mods for this game, but might have to bite the bullet and install this one.

That said, I followed that link and made the mistake of clicking over to see what else was popular and :wtc:

https://www.nexusmods.com/cyberpunk2077/mods/10237

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

Going into my build, I thought knives would get some of the benefits from the blades perks in reflex seeing as they were, y'know, literally blades, but it doesn't seem like they do. The capstone blade perk in reflex should make every single attack with a blade apply bleeding, but I didn't observe that when hitting people with knives.

skeletronics posted:

Witcher 1 is old as poo poo (I think it's built on the Neverwinter Nights engine of all things). It didn't age well when I played it around W2's release, I can't imagine the extra 10 years on top of that helped any. Skip that one. They announced they were remaking it last year, but that may not have survived their layoffs.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 24, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

skeletronics posted:

Watch a YouTube video to summarize their plots and play the W3 remaster.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Witcher 1 isn't super worth playing but I still think Witcher 2 is pretty great and while it wasn't really taken into account in 3, the separate act 2 routes were very cool especially at the time.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

So I thought I'd try a new game on the hardest difficulty and uh... I can't even get past the prologue (Nomad). During the chase scene I'm just taking tons of unavoidable damage and I can't see any way to kill the enemy vehicles any faster. Trying to hit the driver doesn't seem to do anything besides normal damage, I can get several headshots on the gunner, that doesn't seem to do anything, I can even shoot out the tires, which also doesn't do anything. I've got no healing items, and while I can access the inventory and crafting menus before the drive, it won't even let me put a scope on my gun. Best I can do is eat some soy paste for 5% max hp, which doesn't really help.

Am I missing something obvious or am I basically required to turn the difficulty down until after this section? I really don't want to make a habit of doing that poo poo.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

So I thought I'd try a new game on the hardest difficulty and uh... I can't even get past the prologue (Nomad). During the chase scene I'm just taking tons of unavoidable damage and I can't see any way to kill the enemy vehicles any faster. Trying to hit the driver doesn't seem to do anything besides normal damage, I can get several headshots on the gunner, that doesn't seem to do anything, I can even shoot out the tires, which also doesn't do anything. I've got no healing items, and while I can access the inventory and crafting menus before the drive, it won't even let me put a scope on my gun. Best I can do is eat some soy paste for 5% max hp, which doesn't really help.

Am I missing something obvious or am I basically required to turn the difficulty down until after this section? I really don't want to make a habit of doing that poo poo.

I didn't do Nomad this playthru but a later prologue/act 1 (whatever we're calling the pre-heist section) car chase I had to turn down to normal from Very Hard because I literally could not stop the cars before running out of time for the section no matter how accurate I was at hitting things.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

i've read that disabling aim assist actually makes it easier to hit the guys, but also that that section is basically busted on anything above normal because the scripted damage (why??) scales with the difficulty level

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I used CheatEngine to slow down time, turns out it is possible to kill the gunners.

...but that doesn't actually reduce the scripted damage you take.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Dex promised me 'Saka ninjas and not once have I been jumped by corpo nightcrawlers looking for retribution. Just another reason to be disappointed with Mr. DeShawn. :colbert:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

skeletronics posted:

I played Cyberpunk 2077 without ever having played Cyberpunk 1 through 2,076 and I'm glad I did.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mr E posted:

Witcher 1 isn't super worth playing but I still think Witcher 2 is pretty great and while it wasn't really taken into account in 3, the separate act 2 routes were very cool especially at the time.

Witcher 2's opening is super impenetrable if you haven't played the first game, it picks up days after Witcher 1 ends and there's no get-caught-up intro cinematic or anything like that. Even worse, it opens with a how-we-got-here flashback, so the sequence where you're attacking some opposing army with the king is meant to be adding context to the present state of affairs, but we have no context for these proceedings either!

It's a lot of fun and I love the variability in the plot enough to recommend it whole-heartedly at its frequently-discounted GOG sale price of like $4. Just bear in mind there's some stuff you'll need to roll with for the first couple of hours

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Grimthwacker posted:

Dex promised me 'Saka ninjas and not once have I been jumped by corpo nightcrawlers looking for retribution. Just another reason to be disappointed with Mr. DeShawn. :colbert:

The hit squad that Yorinobu sent after Goro wasn't enough?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

The hit squad that Yorinobu sent after Goro wasn't enough?

Or Oda.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I smile whenever I hear the mac'n'cheezus commercial

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

they should've had a mac'n'cheezus ad branding on the cross for that one guy's quest but otherwise played the scene completely straight

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Made it past the prologue and yeah, this is still the Cyberpunk I remember. Jackie hit a pedestrian on the drive back to Watson, which was great.

And I guess they didn't expect me to successfully stealth the scav hunt.

Sure I killed him, but maybe that's what he wanted. Can I truly say I've defeated him? Maybe we were the real scavenger leaders this whole time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I've decided not to do smartguns. I don't exactly love any of the smartguns besides Skippy, so wiping out whole gangs with Overcock/hacks/smartgun gets repetitive very quickly, so I'm putting all those perks into monowire. In the process of writing this post I remembered that now I don't need TECH 20 to craft Adam Smasher's gun, so I should probably play around with it first.

The iconic Arasaka smart gun that shoots explosive rounds triggers contagion bombs and it’s exactly as stupid as it sounds. I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

so i ran across something in this game that’s bothering me. you know how you basically never see a fat person in this game? the only fat guy is dex and there are no fat women at all. well i thought there weren’t but last night i came across a random vendor somewhere who uses the only fat woman body model i have ever seen in over 200 hours of playing. one of the dialogue options, alongside “let me see your wares” etc. is “you could lose some weight.” what’s up with that poo poo.