Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I got a 65" Class OLED S90C based on the sizing recommendations and jeez Louise this tv is huge. Set it up today.

This is my first nice tv. My old one is a decade old and like 30”. The images are almost too detailed - it messes with me lol.

:siren: Are there any settings I should change for a fresh out of the box S90C?
  • I know a bunch of tvs from awhile ago had automatic motion blurring.
  • Light and contrast seem good.

i think you can look up your tv's optimum settings. (rtings?)

It's likely though, that you want to turn off whatever interpolation/frame generation technology on it, try turning off dynamic colors, maybe turn off ALL the image enhancements and enable them back from there. I'm sure someone has more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

LRADIKAL posted:

i think you can look up your tv's optimum settings. (rtings?)

It's likely though, that you want to turn off whatever interpolation/frame generation technology on it, try turning off dynamic colors, maybe turn off ALL the image enhancements and enable them back from there. I'm sure someone has more specific advice.

Thank you for this! I followed the recommendations on that website and everything looks great :)

New problem: I cannot verify my new Samsung account. It keeps rejecting the pin that it emails me. I tried to follow up with customer service and the wait was 7 hours!!!

Can I install new apps to the tv without having a Samsung account? That’s really the only thing I need - I can’t figure out how to install HBOMax without a Samsung account

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Thank you for this! I followed the recommendations on that website and everything looks great :)

New problem: I cannot verify my new Samsung account. It keeps rejecting the pin that it emails me. I tried to follow up with customer service and the wait was 7 hours!!!

Can I install new apps to the tv without having a Samsung account? That’s really the only thing I need - I can’t figure out how to install HBOMax without a Samsung account

my opinion is to use an nvidia shield TV to run all of the apps that I would want. Connect the TV to update firmware once and a while, but don't let it on your network otherwise.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Get a dedicated streaming box. There are many good options at various prices. UI should be much faster than the tv’s. I recommend NVidia Shield Pro for Android or Apple TV for iOS.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

I got a 65" Class OLED S90C based on the sizing recommendations and jeez Louise this tv is huge. Set it up today.

This is my first nice tv. My old one is a decade old and like 30”. The images are almost too detailed - it messes with me lol.

:siren: Are there any settings I should change for a fresh out of the box S90C?
  • I know a bunch of tvs from awhile ago had automatic motion blurring.
  • Light and contrast seem good.

A lot of places like rtings recommend just turning on 'filmmaker mode' and leaving it there, but I found the colour tone too warm for my tastes.

I turned picture mode to standard, and turned off all the picture clarity settings, other than setting the anti judder slider to 2.

Whatever you do, you gotta switch off the picture clarity stuff, cos if you don't it's just wall to wall soap opera effect.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The Perfect Element posted:

A lot of places like rtings recommend just turning on 'filmmaker mode' and leaving it there, but I found the colour tone too warm for my tastes.

I feel the same way but there are hours of YouTube videos with "experts" lecturing people about how movies are supposed to look brown and furthermore everything is supposed to look like movies.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Thoughts on soundbars? I got a C3 55 and would like to pick up a new soundbar to go with it. I'd like to be in the $150-250 range, but I'm happy to wait for a sale.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Soundbars are bad and dumb. Here's a thread for your question.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Soundbars are bad and dumb. Here's a thread for your question.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3384469

Thanks for the link, but looking around a little bit I don't know that any full system is going to fit my budget. Will ask in there though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Oryp posted:

Thanks for the link, but looking around a little bit I don't know that any full system is going to fit my budget. Will ask in there though.

I think the "conventional wisdom" is that for $250 you should just buy two $100 bookshelf speakers and a $50 stereo amp. But whatever. It's $250. Wirecutter or rtings might have something in that range. It'll be fine.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oryp posted:

Go on Facebook Marketplace and you will most certainly find a full featured system for under $250

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just wait for black friday and buy a pair of the nicest speakers within your budget. There’ll be some deals on adorama and amazon and whatnot. The folks on slickdeals do a pretty good job of surfacing the better deals. With a $200 budget I honestly wouldn’t stress out on research. A lot of reviews will be from snobs for whom a $100 is beneath them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

A $100 speaker of any brand is almost definitely gonna be better than the TV speakers and that’s the only bar it really needs to clear

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

A pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for $400 would be highly amusing. They're powered so you don't need a dedicated external receiver or amp, but you'd need to come up with some kind of adapter

I put the hs8 in my home office because covid lockdowns and they are... absolute gross overkill for the task

M-Audio sells a bewildering range of powered studio monitors at all price points, too

Edit: whoops that's not the correct dimensions... At all

quote:

Height:
11.2"
Width:
6.7"
Depth:
8.7"

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 30, 2023

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Hadlock posted:

A pair of Yamaha HS5 studio monitors for $400 would be highly amusing. They're powered so you don't need a dedicated external receiver or amp, but you'd need to come up with some kind of adapter
You can feed a passive monitor controller from the TV's analog out, being just wire and switch boxes they're very cheap.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I put the hs8 in my home office because covid lockdowns and they are... absolute gross overkill for the task

M-Audio sells a bewildering range of powered studio monitors at all price points, too

Edit: whoops that's not the correct dimensions... At all

I have the Klipsch R-15PMs which are similar, and I love them. They also look real nice. I think there may be an updated version by now. But all the above advice is good.

Hard to recommend the Shield anymore though, unless you can get it for cheap. I only ever use it for chromecasting now, I use the native Roku interface for everything else, except streaming sports which I cant do on either mostly and use a PC for. Its about time something new came out, I would be especially grateful if it had baked in web browsing ability for the aforementioned streaming, though I assume the reason they shy away from that is it would mostly be used for nefarious purposes. Though in mine its legit. I swear!

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Hard to recommend the Shield anymore though, unless you can get it for cheap. I only ever use it for chromecasting now, I use the native Roku interface

Why?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its hardly a powerhouse today with only 2gb of RAM and an aged processor, they've removed the gamestream functionality, and its 16gb of storage (while expandable ofc) doesn't really cut it. I'm weighing all these factors against the price, which is still quite high.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

I appreciate everyone's input! I can take this to the audio thread, but I'm wondering if something like a Edifier R1850DB pair would work. Optical from the TV to the speakers and I can connect a cheap subwoofer. Or something like the Edifier M601DB which includes the sub.

Edit: Audio thread has informed me this is a terrible idea, continuing my search.

Oryp fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 31, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oryp posted:

I appreciate everyone's input! I can take this to the audio thread, but I'm wondering if something like a Edifier R1850DB pair would work.

This is the wrong thread, I agree, but if I'm reading correctly, this those have a 4" woofer

I'd really hesitate to buy anything smaller than a 6" woofer as an adult. I only mentioned the HS5 as sort of a comedy option. Yes the 4" is in budget, but just like I did the overkill hs8 for my home office, you don't want to be regretting the 4" woofer purchase at the height of the movie. The extra $30 per speaker is almost certainly worth the price of admission if you're living in a first world country

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've probably asked this before. What would your first port of call be to diagnose input lag between receiver and TV? Happens on multiple AVR inputs.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

codo27 posted:

I've probably asked this before. What would your first port of call be to diagnose input lag between receiver and TV? Happens on multiple AVR inputs.

I had bad audio lag in my setup (video ahead of audio) whenever the source would output Dolby Digital (compressed) audio. But stereo or PCM (uncompressed) did not. So maybe see if that makes a difference.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm looking for some recommendations to replace a TV ASAP. My family's only TV, a 55" Vizio that I bought 9 years ago didn't turn on this morning. There are no lights on the TV, so it doesn't seem like it's just a picture thing, the whole thing just doesn't turn on. I tried multiple remotes, the TV's power button, multiple power outlets, and power cycling... none of which turned it on.

Now I'm suddenly in the market for a television and I really don't have a budget for entertainment purchases at all, so I'm trying to not spend a ton of money, but I don't want to buy junk either. :(

Are there any manufacturers I should avoid? I think I read awhile ago (past few years) that Samsung TVs have built in advertising? Is there truth to this?

What a pain the butt and to come a few weeks before black friday sales. I'm sure my wife and I can go without television for a few weeks to save money, but my son might be very grumpy without Blippi for a few weeks and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Wildtortilla posted:

What a pain the butt and to come a few weeks before black friday sales. I'm sure my wife and I can go without television for a few weeks to save money, but my son might be very grumpy without Blippi for a few weeks and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Have no phones or tablets the kid can watch on in the interim?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations to replace a TV ASAP. My family's only TV, a 55" Vizio that I bought 9 years ago didn't turn on this morning. There are no lights on the TV, so it doesn't seem like it's just a picture thing, the whole thing just doesn't turn on. I tried multiple remotes, the TV's power button, multiple power outlets, and power cycling... none of which turned it on.

Now I'm suddenly in the market for a television and I really don't have a budget for entertainment purchases at all, so I'm trying to not spend a ton of money, but I don't want to buy junk either. :(

Are there any manufacturers I should avoid? I think I read awhile ago (past few years) that Samsung TVs have built in advertising? Is there truth to this?

Check out TCL and Hisense, they're Chinese brands but even the cheap ones are going to be better than your 9 yo Vizio.

Hell, a 55" TCL 6 series is currently on sale for $400 at Best Buy right now. Just turn off data tracking.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Klungar posted:

Have no phones or tablets the kid can watch on in the interim?

He recently turned two... he's not great at holding devices without touching the screen and properly orienting them, which leads to frustration. Though this may be an opportunity to learn!

Animale posted:

Check out TCL and Hisense, they're Chinese brands but even the cheap ones are going to be better than your 9 yo Vizio.

Hell, a 55" TCL 6 series is currently on sale for $400 at Best Buy right now. Just turn off data tracking.

Right on, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure about TCL or Hisense.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

TCL is a decent brand. Worth grabbing one, super easy to use and setup.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

He recently turned two... he's not great at holding devices without touching the screen and properly orienting them, which leads to frustration. Though this may be an opportunity to learn!

Right on, thanks for the suggestion. I wasn't sure about TCL or Hisense.

I just recommended that same $400 TCL to a friend. Seems like a really good deal.

This one specifically https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6470273.p?skuId=6470273

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I just recommended that same $400 TCL to a friend. Seems like a really good deal.

This one specifically https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6470273.p?skuId=6470273

I ordered the this, too! I’m picking it up at Best Buy in a few hour.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Triggered! Bought one, it's coming on Tuesday.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
And it’s broken out of the box. I have to navigate TCL support to replace it. The screen is like shattered.

Edit: the welcome screen looks nice and crisp through the broken screen at least!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 4, 2023

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Broken out of the box from BB? Just take it back to them.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BonoMan posted:

Broken out of the box from BB? Just take it back to them.

The dude at the store was very clear that is not a possibility because i wasn’t able to load it into my car in a vertical position. Transporting away from the store laying on its back prevents me from returning it to the store. I talked to their online support and they scheduled a Best Buy crew to come to my house on Tuesday to deliver a new one and take away the broken one.

This whole thing is so loving stupid.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Wildtortilla posted:

The dude at the store was very clear that is not a possibility because i wasn’t able to load it into my car in a vertical position. Transporting away from the store laying on its back prevents me from returning it to the store. I talked to their online support and they scheduled a Best Buy crew to come to my house on Tuesday to deliver a new one and take away the broken one.

next time take it back to another best buy and tell them you transported it vertically the whole time

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’ve known 3 people IRL that got cracked TCL tvs. It’s crazy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

Well that's dumb, I bought a tv from best buy a couple months ago and they didn't mention at all that loading it into my truck on its back might void any return potential, while loading it into my truck in that orientation.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

For Apple devices, and I’m sure android has the same, there’s a feature you can enable called guided access which allows you to lock down the device in a way that will prevent a toddler from changing apps, changing volume, using the touch screen at all, etc.

Was a game changer for us.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
So I ordered that $400 dollar TCL that everyone's so hot on, THEN read the reviews, which sound reassuring.

My question is that I have an nVidia shield 2017, p2897, which appears to have HDR and 4K, I know it doesn't have the nvidia upscaling, and also that the TV in question has lousy upscaling (which rtings says is more about SD content.

If I watch most of my media on Plex, is SD content going to suffer coming from the Shield TV? (does not have fancy AI upscaling) Is the Shield TV essentially obsolete? Do I dare use the built in Roku software, or do I do the thing that I think is right which is to not let the TV touch the internet except to update firmware?

Thanks!

Hmm, according to this it supports HDR10, but not dolby vision? That going to be a problem?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Shield_TV#Models

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 5, 2023

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My replacement TV was delivered yesterday and it’s not broken! It looks great in action, though the speakers aren’t as good as my old Vizio. I’ll have to figure out a sound solution eventually but for now it’s fine.

Good recommendation, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not at anyone in particular but you have the right to open and inspect the package before signing, regardless of what the delivery person who's on a very tight schedule, might tell you. Saves you and the company time in the end