Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One thing I didn't like was that the show was never really "supes at college".

Apart from one scene at the sports arena in the first episode, where we're told this is the number one place to hang out (and then never see it again, lol) and a few seconds of acting class, the whole season pretty much ignored college life to revolve around the Forest mystery.

I think the problem with "supes at college" is that it becomes an R-rated CW show that has no reason to exist. I would like to think that the existence of a supe killing virus that Butcher is aware of, and that Newman has in her possession would be a big plot point in season 4 (along with Homelander trying to figure out just how many facilities Vought has that are using supes as guinea pigs and make Vought a company that servers supes rather than using supes to benefit human shareholders), and we should probably get some little background snippets talking about the Godolkin massacre, with a potential cameo from Cate or Sam who get brought to Vought HQ as understudies.

If season 4 of The Boys is mostly its own thing that barely acknowledges anything that happened in Gen V, then I guess we have that initial problem that Gen V tried to avoid anyway, and season 2 might as well switch to doing something completely different if it is just going to be an unrelated dose of gore that fills in between seasons of the mainline show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TyrantWD posted:

I think the problem with "supes at college" is that it becomes an R-rated CW show that has no reason to exist.

Beyond the implicit criticism of an R rated CW show being bad (not a guarantee) I think there's a lot they could do to critique the intersectuon of university systems and capitalism / reactionary movements. I think that would be a better show

The show occasionally feints in that direction too, particularly in the first few episodes before the dumb secret lab plot completely takes over, and the seventh episode dips there for a bit. But it's not in a particularly sustained way.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

thebardyspoon posted:

One of my friends really likes the comic series and it's pretty funny seeing his hope that eventually the show will pivot more towards adapting it fully diminish more and more each season. He's not watched Gen V yet but he was convinced it was gonna be adapting the X-Men pastiche (is that the right word for what the Boys did to specific heroes/teams?) where the Prof X equivalent is a nonce and such and it was basically going to be all about that. Similarly he's spent the last 2 seasons of regular Boys expecting the Iron Man equivalent to show up. It's really odd because even in Season 1 things were so different from the comics that it was clearly never gonna be a full adaptation (and I think it is all the better for it, the comic mostly repulsed me).

My initial assumption was that Golden Boy murdered Brinks over getting molested by him for a long time, and just reaching a breaking point. That's what I assumed the scandal was going to be about.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

As others are saying, it just felt like a waste to setup the show as a 'The Boys, but college Supes' and then Lucy-football that premise in favor of the most generic "THERES A SECRET LAB IN THE BASEMENT" plot that you can see in any number of other shows.

It's incredibly trodden territory and makes ya wonder why make this show at all (yes yes, mcu envy, money and The Boys interest) if you're just going to do The Boys but worse. It didn't really meaningfully expand the world as they already explored a bit of this with the new Seven tryouts. Best I can tell they really wanted to amp up the stress on these kids to be celebrities, but that was pretty much completely forgotten by the final episode.

Just a very hollow show - which is a shame cause the all the tablesetting was really good.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think you could do a lot to satirise the staggering insanity of the US college sports scene. Add onto that youtuber, influencers, education to military pipeline, etc* .

Sure, they touched on some of this (not the military one, to be fair) but everything just got totally derailed by the Forest plot and everything else because background noise. They set up a few characters as antagonists and it looked like they were going to be major players in the season and we'd see some interesting stuff from them (like the one girl who pretended to be friends with Cricket, then posted her pain online for likes) but they all vanished and we ended up with just the date rape guy playing the role of about three different villains.

That guy was loving everywhere.

They could have spent an entire season having Marie fighting to become a perfect Vaught drone for the chance to see her sister again and losing her humanity in the process. And contrasting that with the core group around Golden Boy finding theirs. They set the idea of this up and threw it away by ep 3.

* Also, the fact that 'influencers' and internet personalities are repulsive trashfire people cannot be stated often enough in media.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm interested to see how they square what Vought's been up to with Homelander's supe supremacist ideology. We've seen him reject Stormfront's eugenicist line of thinking because of his narcissism, so he seems to view most other supes as a reflection of himself that he can elevate to better bask in the glow.

So if he's in control of Vought now, did he know about this? Or the other testing facility that Stormfront was running? How on earth would Ashley survive keeping this from him if not?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It didn't really meaningfully expand the world as they already explored a bit of this with the new Seven tryouts. Best I can tell they really wanted to amp up the stress on these kids to be celebrities, but that was pretty much completely forgotten by the final episode.

The Most Popular Student rankings were a great idea to show how hosed up the place was. Sure enjoyed the three or four minutes the show spent on the idea.

quote:

Just a very hollow show - which is a shame cause the all the tablesetting was really good.

Truth

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 6, 2023

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, I thought they were going somewhere with Emma, her mother and Jackie Tohn's agent character but they just completely dropped that subplot after the third episode.

I was keen to see ridiculous stuff about what reality TV is like in this universe, or even the relationship between crime fighters and cops from a ground perspective, etc. The spy vs spy stuff is The Boys' thing, give this show its own identity.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

One of my friends really likes the comic series and it's pretty funny seeing his hope that eventually the show will pivot more towards adapting it fully diminish more and more each season. He's not watched Gen V yet but he was convinced it was gonna be adapting the X-Men pastiche (is that the right word for what the Boys did to specific heroes/teams?) where the Prof X equivalent is a nonce and such and it was basically going to be all about that. Similarly he's spent the last 2 seasons of regular Boys expecting the Iron Man equivalent to show up. It's really odd because even in Season 1 things were so different from the comics that it was clearly never gonna be a full adaptation (and I think it is all the better for it, the comic mostly repulsed me).

Despite what I said yeah lol it's still a lot better than that arc in the comics jesus christ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

we ended up with just the date rape guy playing the role of about three different villains.

That guy was loving everywhere.

True.

But the fact that the intro replay of almost every episode was a close shot of the guys duck exploding is probably the funniest thing from the show.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

Your friend has bad opinions lol. As disappointing as this was compared to the main series, it was infinitely better than "What if X-men but rape".

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And they all....like....literally jerk each other off...

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Compound V as a street-level drug is maybe the only interesting concept from the comics that the show hasn't explored yet. And it might be working its way there.

Naturally, in the comics, this concept is used so that sex workers can have supe clients, and so The Boys can be constantly hopped up on it and beat up supes.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 6, 2023

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I think they did a pretty decent job of capturing the surface level tone, satire, and black comedy of The Boys, and there is some good character work particularly around Jordan and Emma. beyond that though it feels like a pretty shallow imitation with a ton of very clunky writing. it was mostly enjoyable to watch on an episode by episode basis, but on the whole felt like a lot of wasted potential

like, kids going to school while trying to solve a mystery is a pretty classic setup, but then instead of the kids actually uncovering what was going they just sort of had 4 different scenes where the bad guys stand there and explain their plans to each other in a grey room. and then the bad guy drunkenly walks in and mumbles "kill them all... make it contagious...." and marie says "did he say something about making it contagious?" like jesus christ lol. reeks of a show plagued by amazon exec notes

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

PostNouveau posted:

So if he's in control of Vought now, did he know about this? Or the other testing facility that Stormfront was running? How on earth would Ashley survive keeping this from him if not?

Having no idea what your underlings are doing is pretty normal. If they want to keep secrets you're basically doomed.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Vought is pretty huge and Homelander seems like more of a "big picture" kind of CEO lol

the main question for me is whether the initial power suppressing research was Shetty going rogue, or was it an effort by higher ups at Vought looking for a way to control supes?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Having no idea what your underlings are doing is pretty normal. If they want to keep secrets you're basically doomed.

Oh sure. It's one of the recurring things in Season 3 that everyone at Vought is too afraid of him to be honest with him. But this is a lasering offense for Ashely (he told her he'd kill her in Season 3 if he found out she was keeping anything else from him like she was about Soldier Boy being alive).

Fellatio del Toro posted:

the main question for me is whether the initial power suppressing research was Shetty going rogue, or was it an effort by higher ups at Vought looking for a way to control supes?

Fits right in with Stan Edgar's plan to get out of supes and into pharma

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Compound V as a street-level drug is maybe the only interesting concept from the comics that the show hasn't explored yet. And it might be working its way there.

Naturally, in the comics, this concept is used so that sex workers can have supe clients, and so The Boys can be constantly hopped up on it and beat up supes.

That is the one thing from the comics I wouldn't mind, the Boys getting the single concentrated injection of V that just gives them the basic strength and invulnerability so they can go toe-to-toe with supes instead of it being a drug they have to constantly take. It just makes them too vulnerable in the world they've built.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kdrudy posted:

That is the one thing from the comics I wouldn't mind, the Boys getting the single concentrated injection of V that just gives them the basic strength and invulnerability so they can go toe-to-toe with supes instead of it being a drug they have to constantly take. It just makes them too vulnerable in the world they've built.

That tension is the best thing about the show though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Is this the first time we've seen the non-temp version of Compound V cause adverse and permanent effects, like with Polarity?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Fellatio del Toro posted:

like, kids going to school while trying to solve a mystery is a pretty classic setup, but then instead of the kids actually uncovering what was going they just sort of had 4 different scenes where the bad guys stand there and explain their plans to each other in a grey room. and then the bad guy drunkenly walks in and mumbles "kill them all... make it contagious...." and marie says "did he say something about making it contagious?" like jesus christ lol. reeks of a show plagued by amazon exec notes

Someone once made a great post about how young adult media are about inter-character melodrama, while the big issues are solved for them in the background or handed to them on a platter.

For instance, Charmed had three sisters who inherited great power are were constantly attacked by evil forces. But they had a magic book and a magic boyfriend who always told them exactly what they needed to do to solve their problems.

And, in Gen V, you had the drunk scientist guy reveal their entire nefarious plant by rambling about it while the kids hid under a desk and then literally dropped a manilla folder labelled "My Crimes.txt" right next to them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Someone once made a great post about how young adult media are about inter-character melodrama, while the big issues are solved for them in the background or handed to them on a platter.

For instance, Charmed had three sisters who inherited great power are were constantly attacked by evil forces. But they had a magic book and a magic boyfriend who always told them exactly what they needed to do to solve their problems.

I think this is just weak genre writing, where everything is arbitrary and you need someone reliable to turn up every week and explain the rules and limitations of the genre.

I can think of plenty of YA fiction where people solve problems directly. e.g. Buffy, Harry Potter, etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

thebardyspoon posted:

Probably best to avoid comics enjoyers after how weird they got before the orgy episode aired.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'm interested to see how they square what Vought's been up to with Homelander's supe supremacist ideology. We've seen him reject Stormfront's eugenicist line of thinking because of his narcissism, so he seems to view most other supes as a reflection of himself that he can elevate to better bask in the glow.

I don't think he knew about it simply because he's not that inquisitive or smart. Or at the very least, he's too self-absorbed to be so.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Kaddish posted:

Is this the first time we've seen the non-temp version of Compound V cause adverse and permanent effects, like with Polarity?

Mindstorm and Tek Knight also seem to have brain problems associated with their powers as well.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Panfilo posted:

Mindstorm and Tek Knight also seem to have brain problems associated with their powers as well.

Oh right, forgot about them.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think this is just weak genre writing, where everything is arbitrary and you need someone reliable to turn up every week and explain the rules and limitations of the genre.

I can think of plenty of YA fiction where people solve problems directly. e.g. Buffy, Harry Potter, etc.

Buffy had Giles, Harry Potter had Dumbledore :colbert:

But, seriously, yes, you're absolutely right. Good YA fiction starts with having a mentor, then he character grows and moves beyond it. As both Buffy and Potter did.

Gen V, however, was not good genre writing.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

PostNouveau posted:

That tension is the best thing about the show though.

There's still tension. It doesn't put them on the same footing as The Seven, it justifies why they're not immediately turned to paste when they get shoved by someone who can juggle cars.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I'm still a little disappointed they have a super drug that turns them into temp supes. It's been handled well enough, but it takes a bit away (to me) from how they had to be really clever to kill the super beings - like sticking dynamite up the butt of a guy with super skin.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The end of the season felt so off and out of line with the rest of the season, which I thought was a bunch of interesting setup with characters I liked. I kind of suspect it was intended to be a one-off miniseries and then they retooled the ending when they decided to renew it.

Stuff like setting up the classic dilemma "If you use your powers you might die, uh oh looks like you have to use your powers to save your friends!" and then doing nothing with it was so weird. Obviously they're gonna explore it in season 2 but it's just such a weird pacing thing that consumed Andre's entire finale for nothing, either provide a nice little payoff now or don't introduce the concept at all until the S2 premiere.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I'm still a little disappointed they have a super drug that turns them into temp supes. It's been handled well enough, but it takes a bit away (to me) from how they had to be really clever to kill the super beings - like sticking dynamite up the butt of a guy with super skin.

I think they handled it well, but they should probably drop it now. It seems like that is the plan since they had it cause terrible brain damage.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It was a useful mcguffin to make the subtle as a sledgehammer point of how self-destructive Billy's rage and quest for revenge is

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

This is one of those shows that I'd never think about or watch again if it wasn't renewed but I'll probably keep eating this slop for as long as they keep serving it.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I'm just wondering when my Boys are coming back to my computer screen

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I liked how Emma realized that rather than her eating-disorder-related powers making her small and weak, she could use it to become big and strong and people would love her for it. More of that kind of plot would have been cool, rather than more superpowered punching.

Open Source Idiom posted:

The way Animorphs did this was fun. The characters are hiding the secret alien invasion from their parents for almost the entire series. Finally they decide to tell their parents, who then help the kids steal six tons of high explosives from the military and drive it straight into the aliens' main Earth base.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Cate may be apart of Homelander's plan. That, and with her, it may just be easier to grab a bunch of supes to, I don't know, maybe attack the white house/other important stuff.

Or stage false flag events to make Homelander look good, and restore the public's trust in him.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was amused that we are getting evil Professor X as a white girl whose nemesis is Magneto if he was an idiot with lovely powers.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I'm trying to remember did idiot Magneto only use his magnet powers to grab a electric prod and taser Sam to sleep? That's the extent of it in that particular fight?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm just surprised by everyone's willingness to get within arms reach of Cate post the reveal she's been loving with their minds. I'd be strictly cellphone only from a county over at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Shageletic posted:

I'm trying to remember did idiot Magneto only use his magnet powers to grab a electric prod and taser Sam to sleep? That's the extent of it in that particular fight?

To be fair he had just caught and safely landed a helicopter that was hurtling towards the ground at high velocity so he may have been tuckered out!

socialsecurity posted:

I'm just surprised by everyone's willingness to get within arms reach of Cate post the reveal she's been loving with their minds. I'd be strictly cellphone only from a county over at that point.

I know the moment where Cate sees Andre hesitate to take her hand is meant to be a,"So you're just like the rest? You're scared I'll use my powers on you" moment for her and a reminder of the way she was mistreated/feared for most of her teenage life. But given this comes at the end of an extended sequence of her using her powers constantly and without hesitation to take control of others and make them kill a bunch of people, and after multiple reveals that she had been actively loving with the minds of Andre and the others, it didn't hit with quite the impact I think they wanted it to.