Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i hit a gap jump for the first time and survived :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

i hit a gap jump for the first time and survived :kiddo:

Isn't it always amazing how trivial they seem after you do them? Good work!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Turns out there weren't gremlins in there waiting to grab my front wheel

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

About to make the move to an emtb. Rented a Canyon Spectral:On CF8 last weekend and put in 50 miles of mainly trail in one day. It was so fun. Looking at the Canyon Spectral:On CF8 or the Fezzari Wire Peak Pro. I'm going to rent the Wire Peak Pro as well.

The big con on the Fezzari to me is the 504wh battery. That just seems way too small for a full power emtb these days. Most other bikes have a 700wh and the Spectral:On CF8 has a 900wh. The Fezzari is on such good sale right now, though, that I could buy an extra battery and still be cheaper than the Canyon. The logistics of riding home in the middle of a ride to change out the battery seem bad though even though I'm usually within a couple miles of home.

The Spectral is also full carbon but I'm not sure how much I care about that as emtbs are super heavy no matter what.

If anyone has any thoughts on either bike (or even other emtbs that are similar cost) I'd love to hear.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Isn't it always amazing how trivial they seem after you do them? Good work!

I rode it again today and recorded it. The things that scare us, lmao

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Scrapez posted:

If anyone has any thoughts on either bike (or even other emtbs that are similar cost) I'd love to hear.

I don’t know how much battery you need for a full day, but it’s worth checking. Riding home to swap batteries seems like a terrible idea cause you’ll be thinking about the range and when to swap instead of riding bikes.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I don’t know how much battery you need for a full day, but it’s worth checking. Riding home to swap batteries seems like a terrible idea cause you’ll be thinking about the range and when to swap instead of riding bikes.

The silver lining there, is if the battery dies it just turns into a regular bike, or so I assume.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

The silver lining there, is if the battery dies it just turns into a regular bike, or so I assume.

They're a decent bit heavier than acoustic bikes.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

idk if direct drive was ever a thing but the regen braking they allow for seems like something that'd be appealing for cross-country riding, if not downhill. are the big chonky electric hubs a thing with electric mountain bikes?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

They're a decent bit heavier than acoustic bikes.

True, my transition weighs just about 40lbs on the nose, so it wouldn't be that far from home for me :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I am definitely considering an eMTB as well. I bought a hardtail in May and will probably want to get a full squish after another season or so. Being able to speed through the gravel part of the ride to get to the fun trails is super appealing to me. Right now if I have 90 minutes to ride probably half that time is spent getting to the trailhead. Riding the rail trail stuff is nice don't get me wrong but I'd buy a gravel bike if that's what I was in it for. So part of my feels like if I'm gonna drop mega bucks on a full suspension I may as well drop megabucks * 1.5 for a full suspension eMTB so I can do more of what I like.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

idk if direct drive was ever a thing but the regen braking they allow for seems like something that'd be appealing for cross-country riding, if not downhill. are the big chonky electric hubs a thing with electric mountain bikes?
Increasing your unsprung weight sucks balls so no. Having a direct drive hub on my cargo bike was great because it enabled silent assist and great torque-assist, but the regen was negligible. Was nice to save on pads tho.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I did an intro to mountain biking course with REI today, and I'm hooked. Time to start looking for bikes that don't absolutely kill my wallet. Why do I pick so many expensive hobbies? :negative:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I did an intro to mountain biking course with REI today, and I'm hooked. Time to start looking for bikes that don't absolutely kill my wallet. Why do I pick so many expensive hobbies? :negative:

Pinkbike.com is the website for mtb. They have a buy/sell and you can filter it by your location. Welcome to the hobby!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Look for your local clubs, mailing lists, or facebook groups. There's deals to be had from people who don't want to ship. Its how I got half off a carbon FS in the middle of covid.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Hoping to ride more now that it has cooled off. Slowly building up enough storage for a potential tour or bikepacking.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Casu Marzu posted:

What did you do on the course?

My Trek Roscoe 7 was very capable for me as a beginner bike this year, I don't think I took it anywhere close to its limits.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Checked out the new pump tracks in my area today, had a blast. A little hard for an out of shape kinda fat guy on a full squish mullet, but fun none the less!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Scrapez posted:

About to make the move to an emtb. Rented a Canyon Spectral:On CF8 last weekend and put in 50 miles of mainly trail in one day. It was so fun. Looking at the Canyon Spectral:On CF8 or the Fezzari Wire Peak Pro. I'm going to rent the Wire Peak Pro as well.

The big con on the Fezzari to me is the 504wh battery. That just seems way too small for a full power emtb these days. Most other bikes have a 700wh and the Spectral:On CF8 has a 900wh. The Fezzari is on such good sale right now, though, that I could buy an extra battery and still be cheaper than the Canyon. The logistics of riding home in the middle of a ride to change out the battery seem bad though even though I'm usually within a couple miles of home.

The Spectral is also full carbon but I'm not sure how much I care about that as emtbs are super heavy no matter what.

900wh is like a whole weekend bike for lots of people. I would think 500wh is fine if you’re ok with using eco more. The issue really is who are you riding with? If you’re riding with people with bigger batteries and using lots of trail/turbo you might run out of battery. The Fezzari is a ridiculous deal right now.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

Casu Marzu posted:

important lesson for mountain biking, your wallet has been bad and deserves punishment. They should have covered this in the course.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

n8r posted:

900wh is like a whole weekend bike for lots of people. I would think 500wh is fine if you’re ok with using eco more. The issue really is who are you riding with? If you’re riding with people with bigger batteries and using lots of trail/turbo you might run out of battery. The Fezzari is a ridiculous deal right now.

TL;DR: Canyon Spectral:On CF8 great. Fezzari Wire Peak not the one. Bought a Nukeproof Megawatt 297 from LBS.

I ended up renting a Fezzari Wire Peak Saturday. It simply didn't work for me. I wanted it to because it's such a good deal right now.

The reach is too short. Like really short for a large. I felt like I was way out over the bars on jumps and steep downhill sections. Could move to an XL but then even with the seat post slammed, the seat was too high with dropper extended. Could go to shorter dropper but honestly, the bike as a whole just felt "OK" to me. The Canyon Spectral:On CF8 felt so much better in every aspect.

I was fairly set on buying the Canyon but went to a LBS just to see if they had anything new. Ended up walking out with a Nukeproof Megawatt 297 Elite on a good deal. I love it! Even though it's an enduro bike, it rides just like the Canyon to me. It's so fun. Took it out for the first full day today and rode 25+ miles and ran out of battery a mile from home. (Another endorsement for not getting the Fezzari that only has 500Wh). The Nukeproof has a 630Wh and will be fine for almost any day. I just went crazy today because the bike is new and weather was perfection.

Only downside of the Nukeproof is the shenanigans going on with their parent company. Slight risk that they could go out of business but highly unlikely. Someone will buy them. Really fun bike with the mullet setup and huge 170/170 travel.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 13, 2023

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

prom candy posted:

What did you do on the course?

My Trek Roscoe 7 was very capable for me as a beginner bike this year, I don't think I took it anywhere close to its limits.

We went out to a local park and started with basic handling and body control, worked on how to use the suspension, then a couple guided/coached smaller sections of a singletrack to put it all together. It ended up with running the whole singletrack a couple times, and then screwing around on a pump track for a bit. Some of the REIs also have an intermediate course available, not sure what goes into that.

I feel like the intro course they do is more for someone (like me) that wanted to see if mountain biking interested them. If you're already comfortable handling the bike and hitting trails solo, it's probably going to be a bit too basic.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

evil_bunnY posted:

Increasing your unsprung weight sucks balls so no. Having a direct drive hub on my cargo bike was great because it enabled silent assist and great torque-assist, but the regen was negligible. Was nice to save on pads tho.

how much riding on hills did you do?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

how much riding on hills did you do?
Half my commute was a hill. Like I said, great for avoiding pad heat/wear. Made virtually no difference to range. I rode for months without a brake hall-sensor, and when I finally installed it I was real sad with the result.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

interesting. i always assumed it would help a lot on rolling hills, getting back some portion of the energy spent climbing

Homers BBBq
Mar 11, 2008
I recently had to change vehicles so I'm going from a roof rack to a hitch and tray rack. I'm all good on the tray rack but what should I do with the old roof stuff? I have the yakima Q tower and round bar system with two fork mounted bike mounts. The Q towers were universal but you need the clips and pads to fit your vehicle, which appear to be discontinued. The towers were made from 2004-2011. Also looks like manufacturers are only making aero bars now and round bars are a thing of the past so even the fork mounted carriers are obsolete.

I checked facebook market place and there are a ton of old rack items for sale in my area and all for low dollar values. Probably not worth the time and effort for the small chance someone needs my exact setup.

So, is this stuff destined for the dumpster? I can recycle all the metal at my local transfer station but the plastic is probably trash. Feels bad to throw out a perfectly good rack. Any other options I'm missing?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Give it away to someone who can use it locally?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cactus Ghost posted:

interesting. i always assumed it would help a lot on rolling hills, getting back some portion of the energy spent climbing
It helped plenty, just not with what I expected >:-|

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Homers BBBq posted:

I recently had to change vehicles so I'm going from a roof rack to a hitch and tray rack. I'm all good on the tray rack but what should I do with the old roof stuff? I have the yakima Q tower and round bar system with two fork mounted bike mounts. The Q towers were universal but you need the clips and pads to fit your vehicle, which appear to be discontinued. The towers were made from 2004-2011. Also looks like manufacturers are only making aero bars now and round bars are a thing of the past so even the fork mounted carriers are obsolete.

I checked facebook market place and there are a ton of old rack items for sale in my area and all for low dollar values. Probably not worth the time and effort for the small chance someone needs my exact setup.

So, is this stuff destined for the dumpster? I can recycle all the metal at my local transfer station but the plastic is probably trash. Feels bad to throw out a perfectly good rack. Any other options I'm missing?

Two possible options:
- Put it up for sale on your local bike trading group
- Find a group for the model car it fits and put it up for sale there

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

How much of a detriment is having QR hubs? Everyone talks about how well XYZ bike that has QR hubs performs for its price point, but then every buying guide is like hell no, stay away from QR hubs.

Edit: I'm assuming, since so many bikes are sold with standard seat posts, that having a dropper post is nice, but not an essential? Especially for beginner riding?

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 14, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

QR hubs are fine, but disc brakes with QR hubs can be annoying because there's a bit of play with QR axles and disc brakes don't tolerate play.

Dropper posts are a huge benefit to mountain biking and probably the best/first upgrade one can do, especially for the price.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I would take a dropper over thru axles if I had to pick.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

Going to disagree with the posts above.

Whether a dropper post matters for you will depend a lot on frame geometry. On a modern, long-and-slack bike it's a virtual necessity, while on a more compact bike you may not care at all. The difference between "necessity" and "nice to have" is whether you can easily get behind the seat without dropping it.

QR hubs, OTOH, are awful if you are planning to push the limits of your bike at all. The skewers bend easily and even when they're straight, they're much more flexy than thru-axles resulting in worse shifting and braking performance as well as less accurate and less responsive steering. They're also a potential safety concern -- if you fail to properly tighten a QR hub you can cause a catastrophic failure, something that is dramatically less likely with a thru-axle. I've been mountain biking for nearly 30 years and I regard the move from QR to thru-axles as the single most important improvement in bike hardware that happened during that time (followed by hydraulic disc brakes, then dropper posts).

On a new MTB I would view QR hubs as an absolute deal-breaker. Unlike a dropper post, you can only upgrade to thru axles by buying a different bike*, and the presence of QR hubs screams "low quality bike or bike from 2005."

*Technically you could upgrade to a front thru-axle with a new fork and new wheel, but the upgrade probably costs more than the entire price of a bike with QR hubs.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Dropper is a mandatory piece in my opinion. If you buy a bike without one, I'd try to save for one and get it on there as quickly as you can. It really makes a huge difference on descents.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The weight isn't on the skewer itself, the hub has its own protruding piece that slots into the dropouts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

vikingstrike posted:

I would take a dropper over thru axles if I had to pick.
I'd go the opposite route, it's going to be a lot easier and cheaper to install a dropper later compared to switching to thru-axle.

Setec_Astronomy posted:

On a new MTB I would view QR hubs as an absolute deal-breaker. Unlike a dropper post, you can only upgrade to thru axles by buying a different bike*, and the presence of QR hubs screams "low quality bike or bike from 2005."
This. QR is "fine" and lots of people shredded hard on bikes with rear QR in the early 2000s but it is worse in every way and a it's a red flag that the frame design is ancient. Same thing with straight 1-1/8 steer tube, which will lock you out of all the good suspension forks.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I’m surprised anyone would go for a QR frame over a dropper. It’s not cost effective to replace a fork and frame to accept TA, and you’re otherwise locked into QR disc wheels, which really limit the options available to you.

A dropper is what, $100? Super easy to install later.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll prioritize thru axles and plan for upgrading to a dropper post in the near future.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
Thru-axles are a nice upgrade to QR, if it came down to "bike with thru axles but no dropper" versus "bike with QR and a dropper stock" then absolutely get the thru axles and install a dropper later. Good chance you can get a bigger dropper that way too, if you measure right.

I'd argue that a dropper has a bigger effect on riding than suspension. A rigid fork would have far less of an impact on my riding than losing my dropper would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Oh I didn’t read the post related to purchase. Yes, go TA because you can’t change that later. If we’re talking which matters more in general riding, then dropper, IMO.

I’ve had QA MTB before and it was … fine but that was like 2014 and no reason to go that route now.