Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

it would be useful for a lot of what i use my laptop for, which is remote connections to other things

otoh, you still have screen size and formfactor limitations, and if hardware costs is an issue, it's not like paying for azure or whatever cloud subs is going to be cheaper
You can already use RDP from a phone :confused:

It would be still much easier to use an actual laptop though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft: we know what's consumer hostile about the os, and we'll remove it if legally required to.

but anyone outside of the eea can eat poo poo and like it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

thank the heavens. i will start the parallel eu microsoft thread where we're basically happy about things once delivered

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's just so baldfaced though. like, yes, this is the os we want, and you clearly can make it. and you know this, and somehow it's being reserved for the threat of all of europe jamming a boot up your rear end instead of just selling us the thing we want to buy from you

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you had me at bald

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

it's just so baldfaced though. like, yes, this is the os we want, and you clearly can make it. and you know this, and somehow it's being reserved for the threat of all of europe jamming a boot up your rear end instead of just selling us the thing we want to buy from you

i love all the consumer protections we don't have in the usa.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I dont think anyone thought there was a technical reason they couldnt remove it. its always been there to generate fake engagement with bing to juice their numbers.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

quote:

Windows will now "always use customers' configured app default settings for link and file types"

oh, loving word?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

so how is it going to work. will it be able to use a vpn to activate a euro copy of windows. or will it constantly check your locale. presumably leading to the situation where a European travelling to the us will have an enormous windows update pushed to them enabling all that awful poo poo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

literally just set your locale to any eea nation during the oobe and you get the options

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

apparently the old "hack" was to set the locale to english (world) which broke some string format and prevented windows from connecting to any of the cloud backend bullshit

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jenny Agutter posted:

so how is it going to work. will it be able to use a vpn to activate a euro copy of windows. or will it constantly check your locale. presumably leading to the situation where a European travelling to the us will have an enormous windows update pushed to them enabling all that awful poo poo

EU rules apply to EU citizens worldwide, so that'd be a crime

this is why you get the cookie notices on US sites

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

literally just set your locale to any eea nation during the oobe and you get the options

what’s the catch? certain services you can’t use like gamep rear end or smth?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if you do use anything with a microsoft account it'll probably be broken in some way, but idk. i think the account's service location overrides the windows region

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

apparently the old "hack" was to set the locale to english (world) which broke some string format and prevented windows from connecting to any of the cloud backend bullshit
lmao prefect

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

what’s the catch? certain services you can’t use like gamep rear end or smth?

dates and text get all hosed up

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

100% agreed. i am mostly real happy in that every time one of those bullshit "maybe you want to take all of our defaults?" showed up i thought "i should be a responsible person and sue over this". and presumably someone did, and honestly all the world should follow the eu on these particular matters. and probably will in time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

You can already use RDP from a phone :confused:

It would be still much easier to use an actual laptop though.

i know? i didn't say it doesn't exist, it just sucks to use and that's not going to change just because it's another app

mystes
May 31, 2006

I once had to do some stuff from my phone over rdp using a Bluetooth foldable keyboard and I wanted to shoot myself

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's one of those things that's kinda wild that you can do and also you should never, ever do it because the entire experience is terrible

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
dont webtop shame

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This (fairly poor) article implies that you can connect to your home PC with this.

Any truth to that? Does it take care of punching a hole in your firewall/NAT using MS services as a reverse proxy or anything interesting?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
No. If you go to the actual documentation its just a rebrand of the existing Azure rdp clients

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its actually even dumber than that. The windows app is just a webview2 wrapper around the web version and the ios/osx version is the same but w/e a safari webview except the ios/osx versions also get an unsupported normal RDP client that can be used to connect to local remote desktops just like every other native rdp client.

That means the windows version cant do rdp, the osx/ios version can, but its not supported, and both can open a webview to https://windows.cloud.microsoft to connect to azure remote desktops.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 17, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

looks like the Entra rename wasn't quite comprehensive enough and Active Directory lives on: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/domain-services/compare-identity-solutions

quote:

Compare self-managed Active Directory Domain Services, Microsoft Entra ID, and managed Microsoft Entra Domain Services

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i thought the on premise active directory would keep the same name and Entra was just the new name for everything related to identity services in the cloud because "azure ad" made people confused

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Shaggar posted:

No. If you go to the actual documentation its just a rebrand of the existing Azure rdp clients

bah, I hate that client.

If you install it from the Windows App Store you don't get the same experience as via the .msi
plus it leaves random processes in the background, and if you don't hunt them out and kill them you won't be able to reconnect to your VDI

(thanks)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

distortion park posted:

looks like the Entra rename wasn't quite comprehensive enough and Active Directory lives on: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/entra/identity/domain-services/compare-identity-solutions

yeah, entra is just the cloud-side, because using the azure branding was somehow worse?

r u ready to WALK posted:

i thought the on premise active directory would keep the same name and Entra was just the new name for everything related to identity services in the cloud because "azure ad" made people confused

it is. active directory branding is just for the on-prem product. since you can have both in hybrid scenarios and the cloud services do a bunch of auth management stuff ad doesn't, i guess they needed some differentiation

not like it makes it any easier to tell though, they've had three different brands since this poo poo began and their documentation mixes them liberally

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 17, 2023

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmfao. just working on a client desktop with windows 11, had to enable focus mode to quiet the literally non-stop notifications very convieniently preventing me from interacting with anything in the notification area

five minutes later, there's a notification congratulating me on "completing five minutes of focus" and asking if i'd like to continue.

you couldn't parody this poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lmfao. just working on a client desktop with windows 11, had to enable focus mode to quiet the literally non-stop notifications very convieniently preventing me from interacting with anything in the notification area

five minutes later, there's a notification congratulating me on "completing five minutes of focus" and asking if i'd like to continue.

you couldn't parody this poo poo.
lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
Look Microsoft Operating Systems suck but what do you expect from a free product?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not even free anymore. they stopped accepting windows 7/10 keys with the 23h2 release afaik

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

yeah, entra is just the cloud-side, because using the azure branding was somehow worse?

it is. active directory branding is just for the on-prem product. since you can have both in hybrid scenarios and the cloud services do a bunch of auth management stuff ad doesn't, i guess they needed some differentiation

not like it makes it any easier to tell though, they've had three different brands since this poo poo began and their documentation mixes them liberally

I got quite confused reading the article I linked because in these paras

quote:

With Domain Services, the core service components are deployed and maintained for you by Microsoft as a managed domain experience. You don't deploy, manage, patch, and secure the AD DS infrastructure for components like the VMs, Windows Server OS, or domain controllers (DCs).

Domain Services provides a smaller subset of features to traditional self-managed AD DS environment, which reduces some of the design and management complexity. For example, there are no AD forests, domain, sites, and replication links to design and maintain. You can still create forest trusts between Domain Services and on-premises environments.

The words "Domains Services" do not refer to the product called "Active Directory Domain Services"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ah, yes, DS which is not interoperable with AD DS

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gotta get that focus cheevo!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

it's not even free anymore. they stopped accepting windows 7/10 keys with the 23h2 release afaik

1. Download any evaluation version of windows off Microsoft’s website.
2. Bing for “how to change evaluation version of windows sku” and do whatever it says. It should not require any tools that don’t come with any evaluation version of windows. I assume this is in case you evaluate windows and somehow decide you’d like to continue using it.
3. Download KMS server emulator from Microsoft owned github and follow the readme.md directions to install it on your pihole, plex server, or fancy soho network device. It’s maybe even possible to install on your phone. I assume KMS has something to do with Windows NT being a spiritual successor to VMS.
4. Bing for “How to activate windows with kms server”. This should also not require any tools that do not come with windows.

I’m pretty sure Microsoft is ok with this and it’s the intended way to use their products. This is a lot of work but installing any primitive free operating system usually is.

Internet Old One fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 17, 2023

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Internet Old One posted:

1. Download any evaluation version of windows
2. Search for “how to change evaluation version of windows sku” and do whatever it says. It should not require any tools that don’t come with any evaluation version of windows. I assume this is in case you evaluate windows and somehow decide you’d like to continue using it.
3. Download KMS server emulator from Microsoft owned github and follow the readme.md directions to install it on your pihole, plex server, or fancy soho network device. It’s maybe even possible to install on your phone.
4. Search for “How to activate windows with kms server”. This should also not require any tools that do not come with windows.

I’m pretty sure Microsoft is ok with this and it’s the intended way to use their products. This is a lot of work but installing any primitive free operating system usually is.

how to activate windows and make me want to KMS

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

dates and text get all hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

the long term plan is definitely to make windows so unusable that it requires a $20/month copilot cloud subscription to get anything done