Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stack Machine posted:

Any argument that depends on the direction text is rendered makes me wonder anyone if anyone ever argued for bi-endian machines with little-endian in arabic and hebrew locales but big-endian in europe.

I don't think that would make any useful difference unless you also swap your memory address ordering around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Stack Machine posted:

You could get truly deranged and call the MSB bit 0, but "The place value of bit i of an n byte word is 2^(8n - i -1)" is always less appealing than "The place value of bit i is 2^i".

the deranged option is exactly what ibm does in power/powerpc

it's not even entirely deranged, it's the formally consistent way of thinking about byte and bit addresses in a big-endian system

it was my exposure to powerpc which converted me from a "big endian is good" guy to a hater. big endian is the twisted abomination, not little

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

I don't think that would make any useful difference unless you also swap your memory address ordering around.

The 16 bit hex number "1234" in little endian is "34 12" when written with the bytes going left-to-right and "12 34" with the bytes going right-to-left. The "trick" is that despite text going the opposite way numbers in arabic text look the same as they do in english text. So lists of numbers would go right-to-left, or least-significant digits to most-significant.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Stack Machine posted:

The 16 bit hex number "1234" in little endian is "34 12"

which is obviously, clearly, and objectively incorrect, and anyone who argues otherwise is being a contrarian for no reason

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

the deranged option is exactly what ibm does in power/powerpc

it's not even entirely deranged, it's the formally consistent way of thinking about byte and bit addresses in a big-endian system

Does this even mean that instructions that take a bit index as an operand consider "bit 0" the MSB? (edit: yes it does) That's hosed.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 30, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stack Machine posted:

The 16 bit hex number "1234" in little endian is "34 12" when written with the bytes going left-to-right and "12 34" with the bytes going right-to-left. The "trick" is that despite text going the opposite way numbers in arabic text look the same as they do in english text. So lists of numbers would go right-to-left, or least-significant digits to most-significant.

Well duh, but you were talking about text, not numbers.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

GWBBQ posted:

I bought a Philco 46-1209 that "just needs a new power cord, maybe a tube or two." Now it's in line behind more things than one person could possibly remember that I promised my wife I would do before starting any new projects. I'm also going to learn to refurbish a typewriter with an Underwood No. 5 they were selling.
As it happens, I started a three-month/12-week apprenticeship learning to repair typewriters four days after you posted this, which is now wrapping up here shortly (had some weeks off for vacations, which we didn't count). That means I get to spend more time on other projects soon, now that I won't be commuting for hours each day to and from the shop, but anyway: how did your refurb of the #5 go? I just did another #3 (wide carriage) for someone who happened to have one at home in somewhat neglected condition and let me know of it.

Also, apropos of nothing: !@#$%^ FedEx, man...

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Well duh, but you were talking about text, not numbers.

I was talking about lists of numbers being rendered within text. Like in-line in a document or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Stack Machine posted:

I was talking about lists of numbers being rendered within text. Like in-line in a document or something.

ooooh ok, gotcha

Grum
May 7, 2007
"34 12" is mixed endian. that's bytes as big endian nibbles and 16-bit numbers as little endian bytes. you need 256 characters to say what you are trying to say using bytes without confusing and upsetting people. i suggest emojis

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Stack Machine posted:

Does this even mean that instructions that take a bit index as an operand consider "bit 0" the MSB? (edit: yes it does) That's hosed.

:hmmyes:

it also means the most significant bit of a data bus pin on the physical processor is numbered 0

love2have bit indexes which change just because you moved from 32-bit to 64-bit ppc (but once again, this is the logically consistent BE way, doing otherwise is technically a form of mixed endianness)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use bitwise addressing

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
learning openscad, makin a weird clock

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

whats open scad w you

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I just want to complain that out of all of the fancy text to speech api offering options out there, why the gently caress is it that none of them sound like a robot?

I want my poo poo to talk in a droid voice, is that so much to ask? apparently yes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
apple used to ship a couple dozen voices with macos classic, most of which were unintelligible gimmicks but still

look at what they took from us

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
at least we still have fred and victoria

code:
say -v Fred "I sure like being inside this fancy computer"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Eyes Have It posted:

I just want to complain that out of all of the fancy text to speech api offering options out there, why the gently caress is it that none of them sound like a robot?

I want my poo poo to talk in a droid voice, is that so much to ask? apparently yes

as a genuine reality i keep telling nlp ai people that we should establish a voice and way of writing that is recognizably computers communicating. e.g. explicitly archaic modes of deferential address that'd make the situation clear.

there's resistance as the goal was "as human as possible" until recently, but i rather think it is inevitable that something of the sort will wind up happening.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just went back and looked at some old rodtronics stuff and made me nostalgic for the days that rodtronics was a brand about being a brand. a self logo generating corporation. then it strayed from the path. they need to get back to the old ways

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

as a genuine reality i keep telling nlp ai people that we should establish a voice and way of writing that is recognizably computers communicating. e.g. explicitly archaic modes of deferential address that'd make the situation clear.

there's resistance as the goal was "as human as possible" until recently, but i rather think it is inevitable that something of the sort will wind up happening.

Well it seems that the more advanced LLMs become, the more obsequious and sycophantic they act so archaic modes of deferential address etc would suit things perfectly.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Made some new plants this weekend. The big white guy is White Sage and the little white guy is Wand Sage. In order to make the sage texture look a little hairy like the real plant I went into quixel mixer and blended a scuffed rubber material with a passionfruit pulp material to make the rubber look sort of pitted, then added in some very fine gravel with the displacement cranked up and height-blended that to make it look like little hairs. It can look at little weird extremely close up, but in car and on foot it still looks p ok.

also made a sandpaper plant in the third pic also using some color-corrected rubber and gravel

Probably the hardest thing about making plants for UE5 is forcing myself to make them rly high poly and ignoring my impulse to optimize geometry. You really can't use traditional foliage methods like 2d leaves and branches built into a texture atlas with an opacity mask to cut them out and place them along the plant? That tanks performance in UE5 with nanite, and if you wanna have hundreds of thousands of plants on screen, you really wanna use nanite. It feels weird and wrong to make a tiny little plant with 70k triangles but it really does perform better using fewer draw calls than a 500 triangle count plant with masked cards for branches and leaves.

e: almost forgot, I improved the landscape texture blending a bit too. It was just using a slope mask to blend along a smooth gradient between textures based on how steep the slope was. I added the displacement maps for my textures and combined a mask using those with the gradient slope mask so that it looks like the dirt and sand have a smooth blend and the rocky parts of the texture stand out and intrude on the lower layer a little bit.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 12, 2023

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

The Eyes Have It posted:

I got you bro:
This is just the tip of the iceberg, lemme know if you want more.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
does that go for anybody? cause i do, i want more robot voices

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

nice! if you end up getting into distributing plants around the terrain, ocotillo (allegedly) like to grow on limestone, and cholla need sun so they grow on flats and south-facing slopes.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sumac posted:

Made some new plants this weekend. The big white guy is White Sage and the little white guy is Wand Sage. In order to make the sage texture look a little hairy like the real plant I went into quixel mixer and blended a scuffed rubber material with a passionfruit pulp material to make the rubber look sort of pitted, then added in some very fine gravel with the displacement cranked up and height-blended that to make it look like little hairs. It can look at little weird extremely close up, but in car and on foot it still looks p ok.

also made a sandpaper plant in the third pic also using some color-corrected rubber and gravel

Probably the hardest thing about making plants for UE5 is forcing myself to make them rly high poly and ignoring my impulse to optimize geometry. You really can't use traditional foliage methods like 2d leaves and branches built into a texture atlas with an opacity mask to cut them out and place them along the plant? That tanks performance in UE5 with nanite, and if you wanna have hundreds of thousands of plants on screen, you really wanna use nanite. It feels weird and wrong to make a tiny little plant with 70k triangles but it really does perform better using fewer draw calls than a 500 triangle count plant with masked cards for branches and leaves.

e: almost forgot, I improved the landscape texture blending a bit too. It was just using a slope mask to blend along a smooth gradient between textures based on how steep the slope was. I added the displacement maps for my textures and combined a mask using those with the gradient slope mask so that it looks like the dirt and sand have a smooth blend and the rocky parts of the texture stand out and intrude on the lower layer a little bit.

sick I fuckin love ue

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pythagoras a trois posted:

does that go for anybody? cause i do, i want more robot voices

me too. tell me about more robot voice synthesizers

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

minidracula posted:

I got you bro:
This is just the tip of the iceberg, lemme know if you want more.

Those are rad in their own way, but I'd really like something that has the benefits of the more modern speech generators, just... not trying so drat hard to sound exactly human.
Like, one that just embraces the fact that it's synthetic and talks like a robot / droid but still has clear diction, some tonality, etc.

In a perfect world, a dropdown would include voices like Angry Scotsman, Guild Navigator, My Soul Has Left My Body, Protocol Droid, and Murderbot3000.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

I'm still working on this font. I've changed a lot of glyphs.

shitface
Nov 23, 2006

The Eyes Have It posted:

In a perfect world, a dropdown would include voices like Angry Scotsman

In it, voted 5

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

still working on decker stuff; mostly focusing on the lil scripting language

last week i made a few subtle breaking changes to the query syntax which make it much more flexible and internally consistent

today i put the finishing touches on a custom markdown renderer, written in lil, which also understands how to highlight lil source code. in one stroke, i remove a build dependency for the decker ecosystem and also i get color-coded examples in all the docs now:

https://beyondloom.com/decker/lil.html

the renderer is here, if anyone's curious:

https://github.com/JohnEarnest/Decker/blob/main/scripts/lildoc.lil

it doesn't implement every intricacy and alternative in markdown; just the parts i actually use. along the way i identified and corrected a handful of performance bottlenecks for string processing and xml serialization; wins all around

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

still working on decker stuff; mostly focusing on the lil scripting language

last week i made a few subtle breaking changes to the query syntax which make it much more flexible and internally consistent

today i put the finishing touches on a custom markdown renderer, written in lil, which also understands how to highlight lil source code. in one stroke, i remove a build dependency for the decker ecosystem and also i get color-coded examples in all the docs now:

https://beyondloom.com/decker/lil.html

the renderer is here, if anyone's curious:

https://github.com/JohnEarnest/Decker/blob/main/scripts/lildoc.lil

it doesn't implement every intricacy and alternative in markdown; just the parts i actually use. along the way i identified and corrected a handful of performance bottlenecks for string processing and xml serialization; wins all around
IJ, probably a dumb question, but is there an archive of the previous Decker binary builds that are on itch.io? Are you uploading those to itch via butler? (my understanding from some docs is that if so, then the old versions are available through the app, and I just usually use the public web page to d/l stuff from itch, but I'm also looking through the butler source and some other code I found on GitHub.)

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i currently upload each set of new binaries manually. the old binaries are hidden from download (since otherwise it gets extremely cluttered and confusing), but i have them all archived locally and on itch.io so i can observe download counts per version/os. i also mark releases with tags on github

are you asking because you're observing some kind of regression?

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
i got my homemade IPv4 stack running on an STM32 microprocessor to talk to its server computer today, it turns around a 100Mbit/s Ethernet packet response in just under 19us.

the top two lines are the receive dibits coming in from the server, running at 50MHz to get the 100Mbit/s data rate, into the STM32 pins. the bottom two lines are the transmit dibits with the response. the STM32 is running at 180MHz so that's 3420 clock ticks to process and respond to the incoming packet.

i got some ideas on how to drive that number down for the actual packets that need super low latency. but pretty :stoked: atm for getting stuff moved from the "oh god, please just work at all" step to the "ok, let's polish and refine" phase

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Internet Janitor posted:

i currently upload each set of new binaries manually. the old binaries are hidden from download (since otherwise it gets extremely cluttered and confusing), but i have them all archived locally and on itch.io so i can observe download counts per version/os. i also mark releases with tags on github

are you asking because you're observing some kind of regression?
Kinda/sorta. Not really, but I'm trying to pad out my collection of "official" Decker binary builds (from the itch.io distribution channel) to test various scratch, test, and prototype decks of mine with (where those decks have been made with various versions of Decker [binaries] at the time), and also to compare to versions I've built from source with some mods just to build.

Speaking of, re: the itch.io Windows builds/binaries, are you building those with VS/MSVC? They also seem to embed at least compile timestamp info, so I'm assuming the sources & build scripts, etc. are not currently designed to generate bit-identical artifacts (not that I'm expecting they are, just looking for confirmation). Is this correct?

I've got your latest tip of main (ba14ca7) able to build with SDL2, SDL2_image, and Mingw-w64 via w64devkit (https://github.com/skeeto/w64devkit), but I basically ignored the Makefile, did things manually, and had to make some changes to decker.c and decker.js just to avoid a function name collision with a Mingw-w64 header (setmode).

PDP-1 posted:

i got my homemade IPv4 stack running on an STM32 microprocessor to talk to its server computer today, it turns around a 100Mbit/s Ethernet packet response in just under 19us.

the top two lines are the receive dibits coming in from the server, running at 50MHz to get the 100Mbit/s data rate, into the STM32 pins. the bottom two lines are the transmit dibits with the response. the STM32 is running at 180MHz so that's 3420 clock ticks to process and respond to the incoming packet.

i got some ideas on how to drive that number down for the actual packets that need super low latency. but pretty :stoked: atm for getting stuff moved from the "oh god, please just work at all" step to the "ok, let's polish and refine" phase

:yosnice: :krad:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

PDP-1 posted:

That owns.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that is wild, man.

perhaps fast ethernet is too fast

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

minidracula posted:

Speaking of, re: the itch.io Windows builds/binaries, are you building those with VS/MSVC? They also seem to embed at least compile timestamp info, so I'm assuming the sources & build scripts, etc. are not currently designed to generate bit-identical artifacts (not that I'm expecting they are, just looking for confirmation). Is this correct?

yes; that's correct- I use the __DATE__ and __TIME__ macros to embed build information for the about dialog, so builds will not be bit-identical.

windows releases are compiled with msvc and a cmake build script; i currently do not publish that script because i find dealing with windows viscerally unpleasant and fielding questions/complaints about compiling c on windows sounds like my personal hell

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
hoping I can work on my game this weekend - mostly I need to make 3d assets which im kinda cold on, but I should be able to get into it or find something else to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i'm hosting another decker-themed game jam next month:

https://itch.io/jam/deck-month

if you folks know anybody who might enjoy decker, i'd really appreciate help spreading the word