Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
This isn't connected to any current conversation, but I'd like to thank the people who made PowerToys for Windows. I'm currently using a keyboard that doesn't have any QMK/VIA capability, and was sorely missing my previous shortcuts I programmed into my previous keyboard until I managed to configure them back with PowerToys' Keyboard Manager. Just so convenient, I love it.

If you're curious what my shortcuts were, it's essentially assigning Home, End, Page Up, and Page Down to the arrow keys when a modifier is pressed. Technically not the same as a keyboard layer, but works just the same. It's quite nice. :)

edit: aagh, page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
My Cherry MX Greys arrived today. The actuation is pretty nice, but the ringing after the switch resets is unbearable. I may try lube, but I don’t know if that will help. Is lube the fix for obnoxious switch ringing?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Dirac Fourier posted:

My Cherry MX Greys arrived today. The actuation is pretty nice, but the ringing after the switch resets is unbearable. I may try lube, but I don’t know if that will help. Is lube the fix for obnoxious switch ringing?

That’s the classic Cherry spring ping. You can lube the springs to help mitigate the noise but the better option would be to replace them with an equivalent weighted springs from a better manufacturer.

I can tell you as a Cherry Brown user, lubing only works for so long before the pinging sound comes back.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Sacred Cow posted:

That’s the classic Cherry spring ping. You can lube the springs to help mitigate the noise but the better option would be to replace them with an equivalent weighted springs from a better manufacturer.

I can tell you as a Cherry Brown user, lubing only works for so long before the pinging sound comes back.

Well now that you mention it, my first mechanical keyboard had Cherry blue switches, and it had a more subtle ping that I still found annoying. I thought it was the keyboard case though, so it never occurred to me that this is a Cherry-specific problem. Thanks for the info!

I think I will just move on from these Cherry Grey switches and not bother with lubing them or replacing springs. I doubt I can return them since they shipped from Europe (I'm in the US), and I actually bent the pins on several of them during installation. They're not destroyed, but it would probably piss off the next person that gets them. So I will probably get some cheap Akko Jelly Blue switches which I already use on a different keyboard, and I like well enough.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Gearman posted:

There are a lot of cheaper and smoother switches out nowadays from a ton of manufacturers. Cherry has mostly fallen by the wayside the hobbyist part of the market, where a ton of new manufacturers have popped up offering cheaper, better, and more unique materials. MX Blacks are still very popular in the enthusiast part of the hobby, but mostly those that are "vintage", and newer ones that have been heavily broken-in.

I have a question regarding "broken-in" switches. Does this imply that switches actuation force goes down over time?

Could my old MX reds just be too light for my hands now because they are... poo poo, where's that email... Eleven years old now?

(also, I could have *sworn* that MX Reds had a 30g actuation force... but apparently they're 45g? Which is exactly the same actuation force as browns, but?!)

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 4, 2023

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a question regarding "broken-in" switches. Does this imply that switches actuation force goes down over time?

Could my old MX reds just be too light for my hands now because they are... poo poo, where's that email... Eleven years old now?

(also, I could have *sworn* that MX Reds had a 30g actuation force... but apparently they're 45g? Which is exactly the same actuation force as browns, but?!)

Broken-in switches are just switches that have been pressed thousands of times either by hand through daily use, or with break-in machines. It doesn't change the actuation force much at all, and only serves to smooth out the plastic stem and rail that make contact with each other when the switch is pressed. Most switches coming out now don't really need it because the molds are really good. Cherry linear, and brown, switches tend to be pretty scratchy out-of-the-box and are the most common switches that get break-in treatment.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I lost my trusted Gamer keyboard of 20+ years two weeks ago to a dog-related mishap. I thought, "Hey, no big deal, I just got a bonus at work and I was long overdue for a replacement, I bet the tech goons will have some good higher-end suggestions" so I lurked for a few pages and decided to get the 8bitdo Famicom keyboard since I've always loved the look of that console and it seemed well-regarded, especially at the price point. Plus it comes with giant joke buttons.

It arrived last Thursday and won me over immediately with how it looks, feels, and sounds. It's three days later and I'm browsing WASD at work failing to convince myself that I don't need to drop $200 on a second keyboard. Last night I fully frowned at my Steam library because I didn't have enough keyboard-based games installed. A switch tester is already in the mail.

What did you do to me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

I lost my trusted Gamer keyboard of 20+ years two weeks ago to a dog-related mishap. I thought, "Hey, no big deal, I just got a bonus at work and I was long overdue for a replacement, I bet the tech goons will have some good higher-end suggestions" so I lurked for a few pages and decided to get the 8bitdo Famicom keyboard since I've always loved the look of that console and it seemed well-regarded, especially at the price point. Plus it comes with giant joke buttons.

It arrived last Thursday and won me over immediately with how it looks, feels, and sounds. It's three days later and I'm browsing WASD at work failing to convince myself that I don't need to drop $200 on a second keyboard. Last night I fully frowned at my Steam library because I didn't have enough keyboard-based games installed. A switch tester is already in the mail.

What did you do to me.

I always tell people you interact with your PC via your mouse and your keyboard, if you're compromising on either you're losing a lot. I'm never surprised when people immediately appreciate the benefits of good mice or keyboards!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Midjack posted:

Mine just showed up today, will report when it's fixed up and ready to use.

Been able to give the Grabshell a spin?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

.Z. posted:

Been able to give the Grabshell a spin?

Not yet, I need a couple of hours to goof around with it and I haven't had that since it came in. I will make time this month though.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-q1-he-qmk-wireless-custom-magnetic-switch-keyboard

So like, is there any reason to pick up a Wooting board these days apart from price?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the wooting 60HE uses the standard 60% PCB form factor so it's still good for swapping into different cases if you're into that kind of thing

mewse
May 2, 2006

change my name posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/keytron/keychron-q1-he-qmk-wireless-custom-magnetic-switch-keyboard

So like, is there any reason to pick up a Wooting board these days apart from price?

Wooting has a good reputation for software and build quality, keychron doesn't

mes
Apr 28, 2006

I believe the biggest thing about these keyboards with magnetic switches that can do adjustable trigger points is the software the supports the board and it's implementation. Optimum Tech did a reviews on the Wooting, Steelseries, Razer, and Higround boards and they don't all feel for function completely the same apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs4shm3Pyfc

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

SkeletonHero posted:

What did you do to me.

we got my gfs brother a nice kb for his birthday. I warned them both it was an anti-gift

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023

Dirac Fourier posted:

Well now that you mention it, my first mechanical keyboard had Cherry blue switches, and it had a more subtle ping that I still found annoying. I thought it was the keyboard case though, so it never occurred to me that this is a Cherry-specific problem. Thanks for the info!

I think I will just move on from these Cherry Grey switches and not bother with lubing them or replacing springs. I doubt I can return them since they shipped from Europe (I'm in the US), and I actually bent the pins on several of them during installation. They're not destroyed, but it would probably piss off the next person that gets them. So I will probably get some cheap Akko Jelly Blue switches which I already use on a different keyboard, and I like well enough.

I decided to send the Cherry Grey switches back to the seller in Sweden. I replaced them with Kailh Burnt Orange switches which are very nice.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Is there a wireless 63-tkl sized rgb kb with 2.4ghz connection that's actually reliable that isn't one of the gamer brands? I got a blackwidow 3 mini which seems okay but just kind of a bit ugly, and the lip kinda interferes with my wrist rest. I really liked my lovely royal kludge rk84 but the wireless was probably the worst I've ever experienced aside from a set of radioshack wireless headphones I had in 01, I've checked reviews for a bunch of em on amazon but everything that's not gamer brand had the same complaints about unreliable wireless.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 12, 2023

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space
finally got the 8bitdo famicom and a switch sample pack

learned that i absolutely HATE clicky switches and really dig glorious panda tactiles. now i'm looking at other caps to change out for fun

thanks assholes :mad:

mewse
May 2, 2006

gnatalie posted:

learned that i absolutely HATE clicky switches and really dig glorious panda tactiles. now i'm looking at other caps to change out for fun

<3

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

gnatalie posted:

Another success story. If you like glorious pandas, you should check out Boba U4Ts.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

I thought I hated clicky switches but it works for me on the 8bitdo board. It just feels appropriately retro

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those of you with aluminum boards, what do you do about static electricity? I just got a shock and saw a spark between two keys. I’m worried about it shorting out if I keep doing that. Should I worry about static electricity from walking on carpet harming my board?

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

I AM GRANDO posted:

Those of you with aluminum boards, what do you do about static electricity? I just got a shock and saw a spark between two keys. I’m worried about it shorting out if I keep doing that. Should I worry about static electricity from walking on carpet harming my board?

Touch something else to discharge any static you might have first. And yeah, you can totally kill your keyboard with static electricity.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
tear up all your carpet and replace with hardwood

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do you have a humidifier?

This time of year is horrible for how dry it makes a house. If you want to start small, as whole house ones are $100 on up, get small one to keep in the same room as your computer. If it's an open floor plan, then you might have to go with a larger/whole house model.

They do help a ton.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

change my name posted:

I thought I hated clicky switches but it works for me on the 8bitdo board. It just feels appropriately retro

Maybe you hate MX style click jackets, I know I do, the 8bitdo box whites have click bars iirc.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My copy of "Shift Happens", a 1200 page 2-part coffee table book on the history of keyboards, is shipping soon. I'm excited to beat somebody to death with it.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Does it come with keycaps?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Corb3t posted:

My copy of "Shift Happens", a 1200 page 2-part coffee table book on the history of keyboards, is shipping soon. I'm excited to beat somebody to death with it.

High five, murderbook buddy! I'm looking forward to it too... it's been a neat project to follow.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I keep looking at the Candybars that occasionally show up on TKC and thinking, no, I use my number row way too much for that. My symbols. My glyphs.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Corb3t posted:

lol oops, I got the shipping survey two days ago. Finally filled it out today, hopefully it'll arrive soon :toot:

edit: lmao maybe not

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 16, 2023

gnatalie
Jul 1, 2003

blasting women into space

mariooncrack posted:

Another success story. If you like glorious pandas, you should check out Boba U4Ts.

ahhh i've been reading about those. in time, perhaps :)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Went into my local computer store and bought a Keychron V5 thinking it was the full keyboard but it was just the bare board. Thinking either go sunk cost and try and actually build it out vs returning and maybe taking a 15% restocking fee.

crosshatch
Dec 10, 2006

E2M2 posted:

Went into my local computer store and bought a Keychron V5 thinking it was the full keyboard but it was just the bare board. Thinking either go sunk cost and try and actually build it out vs returning and maybe taking a 15% restocking fee.

Their stock switches and caps are boring anyhow. Just get some fun ones, put on a podcast, and enjoy a zen hour or two of putting it together

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Yeah, you didn't make a mistake. You are better off this way.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Google results suck rear end nowadays, how do I even figure out what is compatible? Anything Gateron will basically work?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

E2M2 posted:

Google results suck rear end nowadays, how do I even figure out what is compatible? Anything Gateron will basically work?

As long as they aren't optical you should be good. I recommend checking out Cannonkeys or Novelkeys. They're pretty safe bets to have things that are compatible along with great service.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Sorry to ask so many questions recently but would something like these be good? Trying to go for more quiet switches because I'm doing a lot of typing/gaming at night

https://www.centralcomputer.com/keychron-g4-k-pro-switch-yellow-110-switches.html

And why are they so cheap?

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

E2M2 posted:

Sorry to ask so many questions recently but would something like these be good? Trying to go for more quiet switches because I'm doing a lot of typing/gaming at night

https://www.centralcomputer.com/keychron-g4-k-pro-switch-yellow-110-switches.html

Cherry silent red switches have been my go-to for quiet. I had noise complaints with late-night gaming on my old rubber-dome logitech, went with a MK Night Typist with silent reds (because i thought at the time i was too grown-up for that silly rgb nonsense), and no more noise complaints.

Someone else may know switch options for quiet tactile switches if that's more your jam, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

E2M2 posted:

idk but that's about what they sell for on Keychron's site, so it's not a weird pricing thing from that particular vendor or w/e