Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wesleywillis posted:

Except for in winter, when its -30 out?
Or summer when its + 30 celsius? Assuming the AC works I guess.
Or raining really hard.
Snowing.
Dusty.
Windy as gently caress.
Hailing, well I guess if you got a helmet, it doesn't matter if your hands get hosed up.
Freezing rain

IIRC, you live on knife attack island where the climate is somewhat milder, but I'd have to guess that driving a motorcycle through heavy rain, snow, freezing rain etc. sucks, even if everyone else on the road is also on a motorcycle and is as cautious as you.

But if someone has actual experience riding in such conditions and can tell me that its ok, I'll take their word for it.

I'll raise my hand then I guess? Our conditions are generally milder yes but we do have extremes, where I live it has dropped to -14.5 (6 for those of you over the pond). Not quite Alaska but certainly chilly. If there's that much snow and ice on the ground then I'm probably not going to be riding OR driving so moot point and I'm reasonably sure the people who live here would also be fine riding most days, driving on the shittier ones if they so desire. Nobody is saying everyone everywhere should only ride a bike, that's dumb but most people absolutely could ride for a large chunk of the time to no detriment. (this is like the reply to the 'most people drive only 35 miles a day' thing, on average that's most people but there's always outliers who do more, obviously). Cold weather on a bike is fine assuming you have the right gear, on the coldest days I'd be 4 layers deep and my hands would be cold. Rain heavy or not is whatever, again you wear your waterproofs and just turn your head to the side occasionally to clear your visor. Wind? Not great, no. It's like when you drive a high sided van in the wind tbh, you yolo it or stop. I'm sure some people are in a rush to have an accident but I believe most people aren't dumbasses.

I think the most annoying weather condition to ride in are just after it has stopped raining. The dirt on the roads gets kicked up by traffic straight onto your visor. With no wiper option you either wipe with your glove in the vain attempt to clear it (it never works, just smears and partially blinds you :v: ) or you just leave it and pull over when it gets bad/clean it at your destination.

If anything riding a bike through the dead of winter (and the rest of the seasons for that matter) made me realise how soft I'd become regarding the weather generally. And I will say the joy of the breeze at speed up a pair of shorts on a very hot day is incredible EVEN THOUGH YOU SHOULD NEVER RIDE WITHOUT GEAR. Also the whole motocross goggles thing is a great hack assuming your helmet opening fits them, shout out to Shoei ADV helmets and Oakley goggles.

What I'm saying here is bikes require a small amount of preparation and general toughness that cars don't but I believe this is all worth it for all the upsides of being on two wheels (mostly the 'gently caress traffic' ones).

Russian Bear posted:

Lol typical cager brain.

:lol: Right?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

And then if you live somewhere without splitting or filtering, which is only recently decreased to like 47 or 48 / 50 states, there is not much benefit. I had a motorcycle as my own vehicle for 3.5 years in california (only state where splitting is fully legal) and also a very mild climate and it was fine, to beneficial on bad traffic bay area days. I moved to WA where it is not legal and is wet 300 days a year plus a decent amount of ice in the winter and it just isn’t worth it. I hated the rigamarole of gearing up and down at both sides of the trip already in CA but then doing it always wet made it way worse. If I have to sit in the same traffic regardless, I’ll just sit in my car, stop and go on a motorcycle loving sucks in the rain even with proper spency gear.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Cars dumb; so what?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Saukkis posted:

But do you actually like bicycling or do you just do it because it's less bad than driving?

Both. Plus there are health benefits, both marginal and substantial - I sit on my rear end all day, getting an hour or more on the bike undoes that damage and then some.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

TheBacon posted:

And then if you live somewhere without splitting or filtering, which is only recently decreased to like 47 or 48 / 50 states, there is not much benefit. I had a motorcycle as my own vehicle for 3.5 years in california (only state where splitting is fully legal) and also a very mild climate and it was fine, to beneficial on bad traffic bay area days. I moved to WA where it is not legal and is wet 300 days a year plus a decent amount of ice in the winter and it just isn’t worth it. I hated the rigamarole of gearing up and down at both sides of the trip already in CA but then doing it always wet made it way worse. If I have to sit in the same traffic regardless, I’ll just sit in my car, stop and go on a motorcycle loving sucks in the rain even with proper spency gear.

I have a motorcycle and live in Illinois and I pretty much agree. Motorcycling is pretty much just a fun activity for good weather and doing anything else is just more effort and danger for not much benefit.

Russian Bear posted:

Lol typical cager brain.

:jerkbag:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Feeling the weather is great, we spend enough time indoors disconnected from the seasons or any discomfort they might bring. Convertibles kick rear end, next y'all are going to tell me that you keep the tops up on your Miatas.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Twerk from Home posted:

Feeling the weather is great, we spend enough time indoors disconnected from the seasons or any discomfort they might bring. Convertibles kick rear end, next y'all are going to tell me that you keep the tops up on your Miatas.

Putting a bunch of gear on to isolate yourself from the weather I would argue is doing the opposite! But I agree a walk in the rain is lovely and my preferred way to start my days during winter.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It doesn’t rain in the winter here, and I wouldn’t want it to.

(I just want to ride the train to work)

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

i own every Bionicle posted:

I also wonder how much traffic could be alleviated if cars in general were smaller. There are a lot of cars on the road, but if each one took up less space, maybe it would be better. Better visibility would make it easier to have smaller gaps between vehicles as well.

Countries without full size freedom trucks still have terrible traffic.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Yes that's one thing you can do in a car that you probably shouldn't do on two wheels.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just want loving high speed rail. gently caress the need to drive anywhere <6 hours from your current location because planes cost so much, have worse environmental impact, and are a PITA that rarely saves time (just saves the mental load of driving.)

One of my high school friends lives 250 miles from me in what could be a high speed rail corridor. If I want to visit, that's 4 hours of driving. Rail could get me there in 2.5 hours and I could read or play games the whole trip and not worry about being too tired to drive, weather conditions, or any other list of things that can pop up on a trip like that.

Being 44 now and complaining about this for about 20 years at this point, I think that if there was just the money and political will to do it back then I could be enjoying it now.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

e; wrong thread lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 14, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Except for in winter, when its -30 out?
Or summer when its + 30 celsius? Assuming the AC works I guess.
Or raining really hard.
Snowing.
Dusty.
Windy as gently caress.
Hailing, well I guess if you got a helmet, it doesn't matter if your hands get hosed up.
Freezing rain

Rain sucks, snow can stop trains, but even commuting by train and bus in the Tokyo area is much nicer than doing so by car. Not just because it’s like driving in NYC, but because the time you’re commuting doesn’t have to be focused on the road.

Having a car is nice, but commuting by car? It’d be tough to go back, honestly.

bull3964 posted:

One of my high school friends lives 250 miles from me in what could be a high speed rail corridor. If I want to visit, that's 4 hours of driving. Rail could get me there in 2.5 hours and I could read or play games the whole trip and not worry about being too tired to drive, weather conditions, or any other list of things that can pop up on a trip like that.

And you stop off in the middle of the city (or maybe a station closer to where you want to go) instead of Way The gently caress Out At The Airport. No security theater apparatus (or at least much less), too.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 14, 2023

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

For 5 years I only had my scooter for my commute to work. 5 years ago I got a car and I used it any time it even hinted of rain. And in Taiwan, that is alot. Because it turns out getting rained on sucks and I was tried of doing it for almost a decade if you include my old job. Now I drive my car every day because I need to take my kid to daycare every day, but soon I'll move so I can walk to daycare and work and I'll be very happy (I hope)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

Yes that's one thing you can do in a car that you probably shouldn't do on two wheels.

Hahahaha, nice one, Punchy

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.
I'm always happy when I get to take the train instead of driving and I say to myself "I'll get so much work done on my laptop!" and then I wind up spending 3 hours just staring out the window because I'm basically a dog

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it feels good to get into the rail zone

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Public transport is the superior option because you can have some beers on the way. Obviously train beers are the most normalised and best but I've had bus beers a few times when the trains were on strike. Shout out also to pre-mixed cocktails in cans. A

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Presently on a train cooling down after cycling 38km in 40C and 65kph headwinds. Loads of cars stuck in traffic being passed.

Why be angry in a car when you can be shutposting on the Internet?

( TBH it was a sufferfest on the bike but the traffic was godawful, gently caress driving in that gridlock)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 14, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Presently on a train cooling down after cycling 38km in 40C and 65kph headwinds. Loads of cars stuck in traffic being passed.

Why be angry in a car when you can be shutposting on the Internet?

This is what I don't understand, we know distracted driving is now the biggest cause of car accidents, people jerking off on their phone is crazy dangerous (shout out to the lady who didn't even look when she pulled out from a side road in front of me for me to see her watching a show on her phone propped up on the dashboard). People do not enjoy driving so more should be done to ensure those dangerous fucks can just catch a bus or train. It's always a net benefit to remove fuckawful drivers from the roads by any means necessary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Greg12 posted:

What's a car with a locking trunk that can't be bipped and that has fire road clearance?

All I can think of are the Santa Cruz and Ridgeline, with trunks under the beds.

I assume you meant truck rather than car.

If you’ve gotta have it fully 100% built in, the IRS Rams have RamBox which is a sort of trunk in the sides of the bed. It locks and everything. Rivian R1T has the lockable pass through behind the cabin. Both of those are more suited to longer, more narrow objects. It’s unclear what you want to put in the trunk so that may not work for you.

The normal way to handle this requirement in a truck is a lockable integrated toolbox. Very common.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to the local Ford dealer yesterday to drive a base Maverick hybrid. 2024 model, $26k, not bad but still a grand and a half over MSRP. These were $10k over MSRP a year ago.

They also had a used one, exactly the same, same color and everything. 2022, 20k miles, $28k.

:lol:

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

davebo posted:

It's the nanny state's fault for insisting I have to drive my kid to pre-school in a "back seat" instead of whipping him around the back roads in the passenger seat of a Miata!

Unironically at least in part this.

The number of people I see who say they need a crossover or SUV to fit in child seats is significant.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Unironically at least in part this.

The number of people I see who say they need a crossover or SUV to fit in child seats is significant.

I have a friend who just had 1 kid. Not planning on anymore and for *reasons* they bought a Palisade.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Went to the local Ford dealer yesterday to drive a base Maverick hybrid. 2024 model, $26k, not bad but still a grand and a half over MSRP. These were $10k over MSRP a year ago.

$26.5k is starting MSRP for an XL Hybrid unless you aren't including Destination charge ($1595)

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

They also had a used one, exactly the same, same color and everything. 2022, 20k miles, $28k.

:lol:

The car market has gotta crash out at some point, gently caress

Dealer adjustments at this stage lol

The Maverick really did launch at like the worst possible time- would have been cool to get a widespread cheap little ute-ey truck in the US finally. I mean at least they seem to be selling every one of them they can crank out but the margins have gotta be higher on tarted-up F150s so I'm gonna guess they're making those at the expense of everything else still

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

darnon posted:

$26.5k is starting MSRP for an XL Hybrid unless you aren't including Destination charge ($1595)

Yeah plus destination. I could have grabbed it but I wasn't all that impressed with the acceleration and all the weird hybrid noises it was making.

If I wait awhile I'll probably be able to get a ecoboost under MSRP, because apparently nobody wants those.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

People don’t want the ecoboost? I would have assumed the opposite since it’s the only way to get AWD

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Lunchables posted:

People don’t want the ecoboost? I would have assumed the opposite since it’s the only way to get AWD

The production mix the first two model years was skewed much more EcoBoost (about 2:1) so kept up with demand better. Plus by the time one paid the engine charge, AWD, and then if you wanted 4k tow or FX4 it was getting up to mid-size truck competitor pricing. 37+ mpg truck doesn't really have any market alternatives even if it is 'only' FWD.

If you're gonna wait a bit you could sign up for the Illinois Farm Bureau (~$26 for 1yr) for the easy $500 rebate if you don't apply for any others (military, student). Takes about 30 days to become eligible, although theoretically possible to claim after purchase too.

darnon fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 14, 2023

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Apparently not, the hybrid sells out of orders immediately even with the $1500 hike now.

I'm more interested in getting the base model as cheap as possible, and that's the ecoboost now and probably for the best because I'm sure I'll like it more than the hybrid anyway.

Unless I can upgrade to an XLT for not much more money, waiting to see how the market goes awhile longer I'm in no hurry.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

People are finally waking up to the fact that almost nobody actually needs AWD. The hybrid drivetrain is a much more appealing option to me. Also now that they actually included cruise control the base model is a real option.

Are Mavericks actually on dealer lots near MSRP?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Apparently not, the hybrid sells out of orders immediately even with the $1500 hike now.

I'm more interested in getting the base model as cheap as possible, and that's the ecoboost now and probably for the best because I'm sure I'll like it more than the hybrid anyway.

Unless I can upgrade to an XLT for not much more money, waiting to see how the market goes awhile longer I'm in no hurry.

Hybrid order banks are still open for 24MY here 5 months later. Although an XL Hybrid would probably be pushing the odds. Ford managed to pretty much double production capacity overall vs the first two years and Hybrids are now up to 55% of that (versus 30%/35%).

As for an XLT depends on what you qualify as not much more. That trim level got a pretty substantial price increase for 24MY so it's starting $3k more than XL and you don't even really get that much more out of it than aluminum wheels, power mirrors (or just option CoPilot 360 on an XL) and a bed cubby that's easy enough to install on your own. Basically they made it the margin trap for those wanting FX4, Tremor, or heated seats (luxury package). Unless you find a leftover '23MY.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

The thing that really kills me about these trucks (aside from, you know, in a collision) is that they are longer than any parking space at any store. They literally do not fit. It makes parking lots a nightmare to navigate as 2 lanes quickly turns into 1.75 or 1.5 and also bottlenecks turns at the end of rows since you can't see and you have to swing way around the bed.

Then there's the wonderful act of backing into a space and covering 2/3rds of a sidewalk with the bed overhang. I do not think it's cool to damage other people's property, but if someone handicapped had to contend with not being able to get by due to that I wouldn't take issue with them keying the gently caress out of the vehicle.

Typical parking lot spots are anywhere from 16ft to 20ft with the later being considered an oversized or large spot.

An F150 starts at 17.45 feet and goes to 20.2 feet. So, at best the shortest of F150s will only fit in half of the parking spot size range and at worst it will fit in no standard parking spot size.

Even compared to cars that we think, historically, are huge land boats, these are big. A 1955 Chevy Bel Air is only 16.3 feet long. 1975 Olds Cutlass? 16.8 feet.

How did we get to a point where car manufacturers were allowed to make vehicles for general sale that DO NOT FIT into standard infrastructure?

my HOA has to send emails out every few months reminding residents to not back into parking spots in the community lots because it blocks access across the sidewalk and thus the mailboxes to anyone with mobility issues. just incredibly loving stupid that 20 foot vehicles are the default mode of travel for people now.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

my HOA has to send emails out every few months reminding residents to not back into parking spots in the community lots because it blocks access across the sidewalk and thus the mailboxes to anyone with mobility issues. just incredibly loving stupid that 20 foot vehicles are the default mode of travel for people now.
I hate when people send me emails that would have been more appropriate as a tow truck

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

darnon posted:

Hybrid order banks are still open for 24MY here 5 months later. Although an XL Hybrid would probably be pushing the odds. Ford managed to pretty much double production capacity overall vs the first two years and Hybrids are now up to 55% of that (versus 30%/35%).

As for an XLT depends on what you qualify as not much more. That trim level got a pretty substantial price increase for 24MY so it's starting $3k more than XL and you don't even really get that much more out of it than aluminum wheels, power mirrors (or just option CoPilot 360 on an XL) and a bed cubby that's easy enough to install on your own. Basically they made it the margin trap for those wanting FX4, Tremor, or heated seats (luxury package). Unless you find a leftover '23MY.

Yeah just noticed the XLT isn't really worth it, the only thing I'd really like from the package is power mirrors but I can live without that. XL ecoboost is the way to go.

I'm gonna be keeping an eye on stocks around me and see how it goes. Hopefully the ecoboosts don't sell very well so I can get one under MSRP.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

EcoBoost Maverick seems like a Focus ST with a small pickup bed, and that’s basically all I’d want it to be.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Savagegeese did a review of an ecoboost Maverick and they loved it, they were kinda surprised at how fast it was so if those guys were surprised it must be quick.

The hybrid was ok but I'd much rather have the acceleration and power over MPGs. The aftermarket will be really good for it too I imagine, intake and downpipe with a mild tune would wake it up even more.

[e] Also the ecoboost has a real 8 speed transmission over the CVT in the hybrid, kind of a no brainer if you want to actually enjoy driving it

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 15, 2023

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah just noticed the XLT isn't really worth it, the only thing I'd really like from the package is power mirrors but I can live without that. XL ecoboost is the way to go.

They don't really mention it but CoPilot 360 adds power mirrors to the XL. And the insurance savings pretty much makes up the extra $650.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Savagegeese did a review of an ecoboost Maverick and they loved it, they were kinda surprised at how fast it was so if those guys were surprised it must be quick.

The hybrid was ok but I'd much rather have the acceleration and power over MPGs. The aftermarket will be really good for it too I imagine, intake and downpipe with a mild tune would wake it up even more.

[e] Also the ecoboost has a real 8 speed transmission over the CVT in the hybrid, kind of a no brainer if you want to actually enjoy driving it

Is it a real cvt or a ecvt like the Prius? I think the Toyota supposedly drives like a conventional auto but I've never driven over.

I think Ford used to license the hybrid design from Toyota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Kraftwerk posted:

I have a friend who just had 1 kid. Not planning on anymore and for *reasons* they bought a Palisade.

Pfft, wrong Korean vehicle. I can fit my son, wife, best friend and our cat in her carrier all in my Stinger GT.