Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nfcknblvbl posted:

maybe just don't put a tv on a wall that you don't want to punch holes into, idk

i'm actually kind of tempted to do picture rails in my house, at least in the room that has wood paneling. they look gaudy with chains, but I think you could make it look pretty sleek with some thin stainless wire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think my favorite detail of the whole concept is that the entire point of having active suction cups that are constantly monitoring pressure and adjusting themselves under power was presumably because sticky pads wouldn't have worked, would have been hard to remove/change, or would have damaged the wall

the solution to the problems with the suction cups is sticky pads, which they assure you will work, are easy to remove and change, and will not damage the wall

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i wonder how loud the suction cups are when they are active

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Manzoon posted:

I would put money that at some point on an ideas board, before they thought of suction cups, is the word "magnets???" circled a few times.

parachute
airbags
magnets
springs
suction cups

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it should do this on the way down:
https://youtu.be/JloriNfkFPU?si=er9JOCj_O8XrMOoY

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This television doubles as a milking machine!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

El Mero Mero posted:

This television doubles as a milking machine!
ok now you have my interest

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

/raising voice over 'Grapefruit Technique' sounds Yes it's quite new technology

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

man, I can't wait for the our amazing journey substack post in 3-9 months

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oh yeah bird scooters is in chapter 11, rest in piss

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

qirex posted:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

NoneMoreNegative posted:

'Grapefruit Technique' sounds

aaag

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
if only we hadn't thrown so many scooters into the lake :(

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
speaking of substack i guess there's some dumb poo poo going on over there

quote:

I just want to make it clear that we don’t like Nazis either—we wish no-one held those views. But

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

if only we hadn't thrown so many scooters into the lake :(

i got a good chuckle on the way home cuz the radio news reporting on this specifically mentioned them being chucked into rivers and lakes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

speaking of substack i guess there's some dumb poo poo going on over there

your quote ending there is real funny and appropriate however the part after the but is important just to clarify that actually they're explicitly fine with making money off it, too

quote:

But some people do hold those and other extreme views. Given that, we don't think that censorship (including through demonetizing publications) makes the problem go away—in fact, it makes it worse.

We believe that supporting individual rights and civil liberties while subjecting ideas to open discourse is the best way to strip bad ideas of their power.

imagine having to say that with a straight face after just living through the first 3 years of the 2020's

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shame Boy posted:

your quote ending there is real funny and appropriate however the part after the but is important just to clarify that actually they're explicitly fine with making money off it, too

imagine having to say that with a straight face after just living through the first 3 years of the 2020's

or the last four of the 2010s

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

all "mobility technology" startups faced the same problems: the places that their business model could work are so dense with people that drunk bros going 25 mph on a sidewalk or robot taxis blocking firretrucks aren't issues that folks are going to let slide until after the ipo

uber and lyft were exceptions and they also had literal billions in vc to burn under-pricing their service

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shame Boy posted:

I actually believed that back in the 90s, but yeah if you're saying things like this after, oh idk, say around 2010? then you're just not paying attention.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

all "mobility technology" startups faced the same problems: the places that their business model could work are so dense with people that drunk bros going 25 mph on a sidewalk or robot taxis blocking firretrucks aren't issues that folks are going to let slide until after the ipo

uber and lyft were exceptions and they also had literal billions in vc to burn under-pricing their service

they also faced the problem of treating their product like trash and externalizing the costs to the public

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

infernal machines posted:

they also faced the problem of treating their product like trash and externalizing the costs to the public

it warms my heart to see all the folks with obviously "liberated" bikes and scooters around here

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

rotor posted:

I actually believed that back in the 90s, but yeah if you're saying things like this after, oh idk, say around 2010? then you're just not paying attention.

we believed people could be better.

we were wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnstfQGyDc

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

rotor posted:

or more likely you know exactly what dumb poo poo you're saying and you just care about making money over any sort of morals :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

it warms my hear to see all the folks with obviously "liberated" bikes and scooters around here

the best part of them using barely customized alibaba products was the ability to just make them into the regular alibaba product for like $5

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Zamujasa posted:

or more likely you know exactly what dumb poo poo you're saying and you just care about making money over any sort of morals :v:

:monocle:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the news report mentioned twice that they were blaming those pesky customers and their liability lawsuits for STIFLING THEIR INNOVATION but then kinda also threw in near the end "oh and they ran out of cash" lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ambulance chasers seem to have glommed on hard to this new and exciting lawsuit market, there's billboards all over here saying to call them if your uber or lyft crashed, and a few that specifically mention lime and bird scooters too

good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

ambulance chasers seem to have glommed on hard to this new and exciting lawsuit market, there's billboards all over here saying to call them if your uber or lyft crashed, and a few that specifically mention lime and bird scooters too

good

i guess liability wasn't so easily disrupted

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta peeps wanna do startup poo poo but dont wanna grub for no 80% gross margin

typical transportation gross margins are more like 5-10%. uber and lyft typically have like 40% gross margins but with sky high software overheads, making their net margin absolute poo poo

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 21, 2023

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Shame Boy posted:

good

one thing i miss about driving around vegas, all the random fuckin billboards. INJUREDinaHOTEL DOT COM

shortly before we moved they had moved onto things like INJUREDinanUBER or INJUREDwhileSEARCHINGforCORPSESatLAKEMEAD

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Salt Fish posted:

parachute
airbags
magnets
springs
suction cups

Suction Cups from First Principles.

Shame Boy posted:

i think my favorite detail of the whole concept is that the entire point of having active suction cups that are constantly monitoring pressure and adjusting themselves under power was presumably because sticky pads wouldn't have worked, would have been hard to remove/change, or would have damaged the wall

the solution to the problems with the suction cups is sticky pads, which they assure you will work, are easy to remove and change, and will not damage the wall

Just a constant high pitched mechanical whir from the air pumps as I sit back and enjoy my stories.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Zamujasa posted:

INJUREDwhileSEARCHINGforCORPSESatLAKEMEAD
hell yeah

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

FMguru posted:

hell yeah

lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

just to save people time, it's real but the dude meant it to be funny which is unfortunate

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

he has a bunch of others too, which range from dad jokes to just puzzling

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

theflyingexecutive posted:

this is a cut Silicon Valley scene and you can't tell me otherwise

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

qirex posted:

i gotta snatch up a couple of their scooters to hack before they're all gone

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i gotta snatch up a couple of their scooters to hack before they're all gone

i havent seen bird scooters in SF for a long time, i only see the Lime ones

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002