Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

serious gaylord posted:

Games workshop is the company, not individuals and they don't want to be in a position where they've basically built a ready to go business for their staff when they leave.

And somehow it was Hobby Lobby gathering the Sumerian tablets. Presumably GW is going to try L. Bob Rife's schtick but with cave paintings or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
The Great Pyramid disappears from Giza, reappears in Nottingham. "Oh, no, it's always been there, you must be mistaken. Egyptian? This is classic British architecture, mate."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Kylaer posted:

Egyptian? This is classic Necron architecture, mate."

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

The Great Pyramid disappears from Giza, reappears in Nottingham. "Oh, no, it's always been there, you must be mistaken. Egyptian? This is classic British architecture, mate."

I mean those Greek marbles are still in the British museum and thats stuff pilfered from a nominally Western first world country.

It would be entirely on brand to have the real Great Pyramid from Giza nicked and erected on Lenton Lane without any shame whatsoever.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Z the IVth posted:

I mean those Greek marbles are still in the British museum and thats stuff pilfered from a nominally Western first world country.

It would be entirely on brand to have the real Great Pyramid from Giza nicked and erected on Lenton Lane without any shame whatsoever.

The shitter of a PM tried to make the marbles into a big jingoistic culture war talking point a few weeks ago. Made himself look like a child on the international stage, and was apparently surprised to find that no one in Britain gives a gently caress about them any more.

Maybe something to do with the British Museum having ruined the things with botched restoration.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The shitter of a PM tried to make the marbles into a big jingoistic culture war talking point a few weeks ago. Made himself look like a child on the international stage, and was apparently surprised to find that no one in Britain gives a gently caress about them any more.

Maybe something to do with the British Museum having ruined the things with botched restoration.

Again? The little grot had another pissing match with the Greeks? Didn't they just conclude the last hoo ha earlier this year?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

Again? The little grot had another pissing match with the Greeks? Didn't they just conclude the last hoo ha earlier this year?

It's a weekly cycle now of desperately trying to spark a culture war but being desperately bad at it. I can't even remember if the Greeks got a go earlier or not.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Is there a ballpark date for old word?

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lostconfused posted:

Is there a ballpark date for old word?

Jan 20th for preorder, allegedly.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Broken Record Talk posted:

Jan 20th for preorder, allegedly.

And looking expensive but rather complete:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/26/warhammer-the-old-world-the-tomb-kings-of-khemri-revealed/

Now I have to decide which army I love more, as they were both favorites of mine decades ago....

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Why not both?

Jan 20th is a week before my birthday.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I need to check out my storage and see if my unassembled brettonia models from two decades ago still exist

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Can't say I'm particularly thrilled with the approach to books. It doesn't sound that bad, but it's a core book and of the two faction list books minimum. Then you'll likely want the additional faction specific book with special characters and alternative lists.

I'm assuming this is because GW thinks returning players won't be likely to buy many models at first and so they need to find as many ways as possible to get them to buy in. If a player wants to run more than one army, they'll probably end up buying at minimum four books, two of which are hardbound, and that's assuming that both or all factions they use are in the same faction list book.

I know they're calling the faction specific books optional, so I guess we'll see how crucial they become to chasing the meta.

I'm likely a pass for now, but I doubt many others will be that put off by it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
All the rules related content is apparently going to be available for download at first, so I'm not pressured into buying the books, however I'll probably buy them all because I'm a sucker for big fat books filled with lore and art.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Angry Lobster posted:

All the rules related content is apparently going to be available for download at first, so I'm not pressured into buying the books, however I'll probably buy them all because I'm a sucker for big fat books filled with lore and art.

I just have skimmed over this in the Warhammer Community article, so if it's all free "at first" that's really not that bad then.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I just have skimmed over this in the Warhammer Community article, so if it's all free "at first" that's really not that bad then.

I'm rechecking the article and apparently is half true, to summarize what's going to be available rule-wise and whatnot:

-Core Rulebook: Core+Advanced rules. "It will also be released as a digital ePub version for easy access to rules on the go." It doesn't say for free but I think it was
mentioned in previous articles.

-Forces of Fantasy and Ravening Hordes: Rules for all the "Core Factions". "Available in hardback and ePub formats". Again, not mention if it's going to be available for free.

-Arcane Journals. Faction books with lore, art and extra optional rules. Those are aparently only going to be available in softback books, so definetly not free.

-Legacy army rules. Rules for all non-core armies. Available in PDF, so free.

So yeah, maybe I misremembered things from previous articles or jumped ahead of myself, but judging from the wording, maybe the rules are not going to be so freely available as I thought.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The rules weren’t going to be free, just the non-core factions pdf lists.

Game looks great, every faction getting full support on day 1 rocks. Exciting times.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Extremely glad I can buy the rules book I need and get like four other armies rules too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Extremely glad I can buy the rules book I need and get like four other armies rules too.
:same:

One of my favorite little things is just flipping through different lists and seeing how they go together, how they compare, etc. Even if I have no intent of buying into an army it's still fun to think about sometimes. It also has the side effect of knowing sort of how an opponent's army works. Compiling them in a couple of books makes that much simpler. Plus, with allies now being incorporated into lists it'll make taking a few dwarf units in an empire army easier (as an example). Their approach to 30k has been similar so far with the index books showcasing multiple factions while the campaign books only feature a few. It's worked well enough.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I couldn't afford to buy any armies as a kid, but I did read all of the rule books lol.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I'm looking at getting some Not Civitas terrain for LI, and I'm getting conflicting reports on whether N or Z scale is appropriate. Thoughts?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beerdeer posted:

I'm looking at getting some Not Civitas terrain for LI, and I'm getting conflicting reports on whether N or Z scale is appropriate. Thoughts?

LI is, roughly, 1:285 scale.

Z (1:220) is decent but you'll have some weirdness with doorways, garage entrances, etc. ZZ-scale (1:300) is about the ideal scale for train stuff, since you want 30K stuff to feel large relative to the terrain scale.

N (1:148) is too large. People call LI "8mm scale", but usually "Xmm scale" is referring to the height of a regular adult man (or the width of a track), and while LI minis are 8mm tall, they're supposed to be heroic or actually superhuman. Some of this stuff will work okay, but all the doors will be fit for ogryn and a rhino will fit in a compact car garage.

You can find 1:285 stuff too but it's generally aimed at wargamers, and more common with 3D printing, etc. 1:285 doesn't have a train scale equivalent, but it is also called "microarmor" or just "epic".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Lostconfused posted:

I couldn't afford to buy any armies as a kid, but I did read all of the rule books lol.

Same. I read the 4th edition battle bestiary so many times as a kid I still remember the stats of random monsters despite having a tiny orc and goblin force.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I played lizardmen as a kid, but you can be drat sure I knew how my friends' tomb kings, orcs and goblins, chaos warriors, etc. worked. For a while, my FLGS had store copies of some of the books so I could just post up there and flip through them.

A time before :filez:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Lizardmen were IMO one of the coolest armies, my brother had maybe 750pts of them. To this day I love the metal skinks, I should find some and paint em up.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Bretonnian lore and also website

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/12/27/old-world-almanack-discover-bretonnia-a-land-of-chivalry-and-honour/

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope they back off some of the grimdark evil tyrants stuff that they added into the Brettonia lore in their last book. Some of that was fine but the entire faction basically being made up of the type of people that hunt humans for sport clashed too much with the whole noble hero asthetic they were still trying to use with the models and characters.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beerdeer posted:

Cease to Hope posted:

LI is, roughly, 1:285 scale.

Z (1:220) is decent but you'll have some weirdness with doorways, garage entrances, etc. ZZ-scale (1:300) is about the ideal scale for train stuff, since you want 30K stuff to feel large relative to the terrain scale.

N (1:148) is too large. People call LI "8mm scale", but usually "Xmm scale" is referring to the height of a regular adult man (or the width of a track), and while LI minis are 8mm tall, they're supposed to be heroic or actually superhuman. Some of this stuff will work okay, but all the doors will be fit for ogryn and a rhino will fit in a compact car garage.

You can find 1:285 stuff too but it's generally aimed at wargamers, and more common with 3D printing, etc. 1:285 doesn't have a train scale equivalent, but it is also called "microarmor" or just "epic".

I apologize if I'm doing this wrong, but I am legitimately pretty sure it's just Z scale. If you take a stand full of LI Solar Auxilia guys, who ought to be about six feet tall, and put a ruler on it, the Solar Auxilia guys will come to 8mm in height. Six feet is 1828.8mm, and a ratio of 8:1828.8 reduces to 1:228.6. Z scale is 1:220. Space Marines LI figures are taller than 8mm because Space Marines are taller than six feet.

There's a video by a TaleofPainters everyone seems to be referencing where he does the model test and demonstrates that Auxilia are 8mm tall, and then he asserts that Epic is at about 10mm scale, and when folks asked in the comments why he said 10mm when the normal-sized guys are clearly 8mm tall, he replied "But then the vehicles are larger than a 25% increase... maybe the old Epic vehicles were too small?" so he judged it to be at 10mm scale just because he assumed old epic was 6mm and the vehicles in new epic are bigger, ignoring that old epic had inconsistent scaling.

EDIT: I also just checked the length of a 40k rhino and it's 120mm, while the length of an LI rhino is 30mm, so assuming 40k is 32mm scale (and it does seem to be when I stick a ruler next to a random Astra Militarum or Necromunda guy), that's another data point for LI being 8mm, which, again, lines up more closely to Z-scale than anything else unless I did that ratio wrong somehow. I apologize if I'm coming across a little strong here; every time I see someone assert that LI is close to 10mm scale I get a little madder at Stahley from Tale of Painters for his conclusions in that video.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 27, 2023

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I wonder if the Lizardmen pdf rules will have an eye toward the recent releases when they decide on the new base sizes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Wicket gate in the doors of AT terrain is 6.5mm tall. So standard human height without armour is still ~6-7mm. This is consistent with what's been said by the designers iirc. Probably best to use that as your guide when looking at scale and pick something with normal personnel doors of 6.5-7.5mm.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I wonder if the Lizardmen pdf rules will have an eye toward the recent releases when they decide on the new base sizes.

It would be the most sensible thing to do as they are increasing base sizes across the game iirc.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 27, 2023

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stephenls posted:

If you take a stand full of LI Solar Auxilia guys, who ought to be about six feet tall, and put a ruler on it, the Solar Auxilia guys will come to 8mm in height.

Cease to Hope posted:

while LI minis are 8mm tall, they're supposed to be heroic or actually superhuman.

I've seen Stahly's video. I'm a fan! I just don't agree.

If you compare LI minis to N scale (which is a bit bigger than 8mm, even!), you're going to find that everything is scaled as if these were normal people at 8mm, making them seem very strangely small in comparison to doorways, garage entrances, street sizes, etc. You always want to err on the side of sizing down if you want to make pretty much any of GW's models look right.

The scale difference probably won't be a problem with large buildings, but smaller details, especially at ground level, may occasionally be glaringly oversized. This is not a big problem in general: nobody seems to give a poo poo that the aircraft are all wildly out of whack! But I did make a point of explaining when and how N-scale was going to work poorly, to know what to avoid.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are all the TOW armies getting big boxes like the TK/Brets? Or do we not know yet.

Speculation of $300 is probably gonna price me out anyway, we'll see. Super disappointed that Skaven aren't updated, always wanted an 8th edition book.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Speculation of $300 is probably gonna price me out anyway, we'll see. Super disappointed that Skaven aren't updated, always wanted an 8th edition book.

skaven are getting rules in a PDF, fwiw.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I was told that the new edition of Sigmar launching next summer will feature Skaven, I assume they'll have new models there? Maybe they'll get some more updates elsewhere after that time too?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
the rumor is that AOS4 will feature skaven. dunno how much stock you should put in that.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
No one else is slated for big army boxes at launch, but that’s not to say they won’t do them as they release the new army books.

Extremely good way to shift 15yr old sculpts that are literally sitting in storage.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Honestly, I'm probably just feeling spoiled* because MESBG puts every LOTR army list for every faction, good and evil, in a single book. I know it's a bit apples and oranges to compare LOTR lists to Warhammer, but you absolutely could pare down unit entries to a minimal amount of text and fit them into a reasonable number of pages. Given that they're doing the fluff books anyway, and the legacy PDFs will probably be fairly straightforward and streamlined, it's obviously a choice they're making to try and get people to buy as many books as possible. But GW is a business, so it's not like they're morally required to do it any other way.

Other people seem absolutely fine with the way things are being divided up, so I'm the outlier here. Not every game has to be packaged the way I would prefer and GW is almost certainly going to make money hand over fist with this approach.

*This is literally the only thing convenient about playing MESBG in 2024.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

But GW is a business, so it's not like they're morally required to do it any other way.

businesses really are not morally obligated to squeeze you for every last dime. you don't have to get mad about it if you don't want but there's nothing particularly moral about charging more for worse service

if you mind, go ahead and mind. some of those people who you think disagree may actually agree, but are beaten down by the futility of it. and the people who do disagree are wrong and can go to hell!

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
It's not clear the full army list isn't in the softcover army book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poop chute
Nov 16, 2023

by Athanatos

Lostconfused posted:

I was told that the new edition of Sigmar launching next summer will feature Skaven, I assume they'll have new models there? Maybe they'll get some more updates elsewhere after that time too?

It's the common assumption, given how old some of those sculpts are and how badly they need it, but there's no confirmation.

That said, a Skaven vs....probably Stormcast, honestly, Leviathan-style box would be pretty great. Add in a Skaven box at Christmas time and I would be happier than all hell.