Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Endless Mike posted:

i don't know what a rig is

i also don't make codes

ah so you were the lead dev for palworld? how was it like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1751434611140231399

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so is palworld bad because it’s morally dubious or just not fun idgi

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

it's a tree puncher game, and apparently a pretty decent one of those (at least in the early game?), so i guess it's the morally dubious

i do not like tree punchers, so i bailed on it p quick

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

it's Pokémon with slavery + guns, but evidently from a pure gameplay pov it's exactly what people want otherwise it wouldn't have been so successful

the same gameplay can probably be achieved without the lovely tone, and you best be prepared for a deluge of palworld-likes to be released some time from now

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

It also basically plays like fortnite with the guns and the sliding and the running so i’m guessing the majority of the millions of players are kids

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

and kids have 0 taste

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

if they did they would be playing kenshi instead

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
weird way to spell rimworld, but ok

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

my understanding is that palworld plays more or less exactly like ark, just swapping out dinosaurs for bootleg pokemon

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Radio Paranoia posted:

weird way to spell rimworld, but ok

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quiggy posted:

my understanding is that palworld plays more or less exactly like ark, just swapping out dinosaurs for bootleg pokemon

pretty much. it's a fairly standard survival/colony game with the gimmick of cute monster-animals that look a lot like, and are interacted with a lot like, pokemon. you can capture them by throwing a ball at them and then use them as tools or assign them to survival grind tasks. for some people this makes it a shameless ripoff that must be condemned. for a whole lot of other people this makes it really engaging

it's just another one of those indie games that inexplicably takes off and rules the streaming world for a bit for organic reasons no one fully understands. it also satisfies a desperate need people have for the pokemon formula to evolve and the actual pokemon games have failed to fulfill this need for a while

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

it's a tree puncher game, and apparently a pretty decent one of those (at least in the early game?), so i guess it's the morally dubious

i do not like tree punchers, so i bailed on it p quick

I don't normally, but I like exploring so that's been fun. the dungeons look like placeholders/nearly identical, so once I finish the land exploration it'll probably go into the backlog until major changes

I haven't been an abusive pal catcher, so ymmv in how much you lean into being a bastard. I haven't beaten and starved them or gone around capturing humans

haveblue posted:

it also satisfies a desperate need people have for the pokemon formula to evolve and the actual pokemon games have failed to fulfill this need for a while

game freak has so many of the elements of this game in recent releases, but they just couldn't push it together for whatever reason. as a pokemon game where I also fight it's kinda neat. that and realtime fighting have been refreshing

also the switch pokemon games run more and more like mud. if no man's sky can figure out how to look good and run smoothly there's no excuse. the 'we're still learning the engine' excuse doesn't work when the second game with it runs worse

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
havent played or looked at palworld but how was Pokémon also not morally dubious seems like a dumb argument

fundamentally you are beating up and kidnapping pokemon and forcing them to fight so :confused: ok they're "friends" somehow, but there tons of characters in the show and games are are explicitly abusive to them so, in conclusion

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

imo if you want a fresh take on pokemon you should play cassette beasts instead. it even solves the "this is just kid-friendly dogfighting" complaint!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

you can capture goons, and then fight them in arenas to help them redeem their debt to society in the game like a dragon 8

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i find palworld kind of annoying because it seems very childish in the bad way. that is, pokemon is obviously childish but it's the kind of thing a caring adult imagines for a child, where palworld appears to be precisely what i would make when i was a child: poorly drawn knockoffs of cartoons i liked but now they have miniguns!!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
if i want to beat up monsters in novel ways i would simply play monster hunter

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
charge blade supremacy

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
cjs: playing through blood west it's suprirsingly good and has incredibly satisfying audio design. very chunky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehTaxX0yAxo&t=914s

also has stephen russel (thief) narrating. plays like a old school stealth game until the action starts which is then very fast paced, very low TTK and most enemies are faster / stronger then you so it gets very stressful

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Crow posted:

charge blade supremacy
swagaxe :colbert:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

shame about the post-launch DRM on rise that they recently added

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bemoaning the fact there's no two-handed staff weapon type in MH, as is my tradition

hell just give me IG but without the I, I can pretend the glaive blade isn't there but managing the bug & buffs is annoying !!!!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
wait how many West games are there now

Evil west, weird west, and now blood west

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

dioxazine posted:

wait what? thats a bummer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dioxazine posted:

was that really because some tourney streamer had a nude chun li mod on during broadcast or did i mishear that

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:hfive:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

now that i think about it i never got around to playing the MH Rise expansion, might start that up again next time I'm between games

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

sunbreak is real good

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Ciaphas posted:

was that really because some tourney streamer had a nude chun li mod on during broadcast or did i mishear that

lmao

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

haveblue posted:

wait how many West games are there now

Evil west, weird west, and now blood west

west of loathing

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

horizon forbidden west

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
seriously tho whats a 'rig' in this context?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

rotor posted:

an animation rig, it's how animations are done for 3d models

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

rotor posted:

not much what rig in this context with you?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

i honestly have no idea, but it certainly sounds like something that could happen

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

rotor posted:

putting bones in a 3d model

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

akadajet posted:

putting bones in a 3d model

mods? gonna do something about this hentai dogwhistle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

mods? gonna do something about this hentai dogwhistle?

I'm sure whatever rig you're working on has sliders for boob jiggle.